All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Peter Brown

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pmSometimes I have misplaced faith in your ability (willingness?) to admit failure. Ahhh, well. Être dans la lune.

:lol:
And I have misplaced faith in your ability to read. You misread my post. As usual.

Stop ripping people for criticizing Trump, and stop being a pro-government zealot.

Clear enough for you?

Not to mention I gave you an immediate example of defending a Republican, Pence. Should I use smaller words for you next time?

Clearly you know me well! :lol: :lol: :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pmSometimes I have misplaced faith in your ability (willingness?) to admit failure. Ahhh, well. Être dans la lune.

:lol:
And I have misplaced faith in your ability to read. You misread my post. As usual.

Stop ripping people for criticizing Trump, and stop being a pro-government zealot.

Clear enough for you?

Not to mention I gave you an immediate example of defending a Republican, Pence. Should I use smaller words for you next time?

Clearly you know me well! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do know you well, and all Trump defenders seem to think that Trump is just "some guy". Trump is the leader of our government. You've spent the last week defending everything our President does, and have called out any criticism as insane.

What about this isn't pro-government? He's the leader of our Government.
Last edited by a fan on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 pm There's zero chance that China's death numbers are 100% accurate. They are significantly light and highly inaccurate.

Watched videos of Chinese citizens being pulled from the streets by soldiers in level A and put into metal boxes in the back of trucks. Saw high-rise buildings being quarantined by bulldozers dropping loads of dirt/gravel in front of doors. Doors of full residential buildings being chained from the outside. Saw "temporary hospitals" being built that looked awfully like mass trench graves.

People have been mysteriously disappearing in China for years. Their numbers are not to be trusted. At all.

So who should we believe?

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ggait

Post by ggait »

Because in the end, Trump is correct that what he said was that the "hoax" was in fact the Democrat's politicization of the coronavirus outbreak.
PB -- Trump transcript from 2/28/2020 SC rally below.

Extremely lame talking point to say that Trump was saying the virus was real/serious/dangerous, but that the "hoax" was the Dem reaction to the virus. Huh?

The virus is either serious or it is no big deal. You are either over-reacting (which Trump claims the Dems are doing) or you are under-reacting (which Dems claim Trump is doing). Trump (see below) is clearly downplaying. Read with a month's hindsight, Trump is wrong and Dems are right. How's that a hoax?

One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We have 15 people in this massive country and because of the fact that we went early. We went early, we could have had a lot more than that. We’re doing great. Our country is doing so great. We are so unified. We are so unified. The Republican party has never ever been unified like it is now. There has never been a movement in the history of our country like we have now. Never been a movement. So a statistic that we want to talk about, go ahead. Say USA. It’s okay. USA. So a number that nobody heard of, that I heard of recently and I was shocked to hear it, 35,000 people on average die each year from the flu. Did anyone know that? 35,000, that’s a lot of people. It could go to 100,000, it could be 27,000. They say usually a minimum of 27, goes up to 100,000 people a year die. And so far we have lost nobody to coronavirus in the United States. Nobody. And it doesn’t mean we won’t and we are totally prepared. It doesn’t mean we won’t, but think of it. You hear 35 and 40,000 people and we’ve lost nobody and you wonder the press is in hysteria mode. CNN fake news and the camera just went off, the camera. The camera just went off. Turn it back on.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 pm There's zero chance that China's death numbers are 100% accurate. They are significantly light and highly inaccurate.

Watched videos of Chinese citizens being pulled from the streets by soldiers in level A and put into metal boxes in the back of trucks. Saw high-rise buildings being quarantined by bulldozers dropping loads of dirt/gravel in front of doors. Doors of full residential buildings being chained from the outside. Saw "temporary hospitals" being built that looked awfully like mass trench graves.

People have been mysteriously disappearing in China for years. Their numbers are not to be trusted. At all.

You ask like either can be trusted!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Because in the end, Trump is correct that what he said was that the "hoax" was in fact the Democrat's politicization of the coronavirus outbreak.
PB -- Trump transcript from 2/28/2020 SC rally below.

Extremely lame talking point to say that Trump was saying the virus was real/serious/dangerous, but that the "hoax" was the Dem reaction to the virus. Huh?

The virus is either serious or it is no big deal. You are either over-reacting (which Trump claims the Dems are doing) or you are under-reacting (which Dems claim Trump is doing). Trump (see below) is clearly downplaying. Read with a month's hindsight, Trump is wrong and Dems are right. How's that a hoax?

One of my people came up to me and said, “Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.” That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We have 15 people in this massive country and because of the fact that we went early. We went early, we could have had a lot more than that. We’re doing great. Our country is doing so great. We are so unified. We are so unified. The Republican party has never ever been unified like it is now. There has never been a movement in the history of our country like we have now. Never been a movement. So a statistic that we want to talk about, go ahead. Say USA. It’s okay. USA. So a number that nobody heard of, that I heard of recently and I was shocked to hear it, 35,000 people on average die each year from the flu. Did anyone know that? 35,000, that’s a lot of people. It could go to 100,000, it could be 27,000. They say usually a minimum of 27, goes up to 100,000 people a year die. And so far we have lost nobody to coronavirus in the United States. Nobody. And it doesn’t mean we won’t and we are totally prepared. It doesn’t mean we won’t, but think of it. You hear 35 and 40,000 people and we’ve lost nobody and you wonder the press is in hysteria mode. CNN fake news and the camera just went off, the camera. The camera just went off. Turn it back on.

I think Trump's enemies want to believe that what he says is always lucid and without any disguise, whereas I don't listen to most of what he says.

He seems to enjoy needling people (which itself might be a worry sign when done too often). On almost every occasion where you felt that this is it this is the big one we have him dead to rights, what he said versus what can be pinned on him are two different matters. And more often than not, you go overboard stretching the truth to get him. This is happening here with the 'hoax' claim. He did not say Cornoavirus is a hoax. Full stop. You need not go any further. Except the media eggs you on, and you fall for it.

I will repeat again: I am not a huge fan of the guy, nor of media. But I am a fan of business. America's business is business. As Calvin Coolidge said: After all, the chief business of the American people is business. They are profoundly concerned with producing, buying, selling, investing and prospering in the world.

Trump at the very least supports that notion, hence I cut him all sorts of slack. This likewise explains my disdain for most Democrat policies.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Merriam Webster definition of "hoax": a humorous or malicious deception. None of the moves against Trump meet that definition. Perhaps another word is in order.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Good answer. :D
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Tupelo Mississippi Mayor Jason L. Shelton, for Governor

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make America Sane Again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

As Calvin Coolidge said: After all, the chief business of the American people is business. They are profoundly concerned with producing, buying, selling, investing and prospering in the world.
Coolidge and Hoover - two pro-business Republicans who set the country up for the Great Depression. High tariffs, low taxes and reduced immigration. Brilliant leaders. They simply didn't understand supply and demand, amongst many other important things they didn't consider important....until they all turned out to be VERY IMPORTANT :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Re: Just Passed Italy

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:20 pm We just passed Italy in total confirmed cases.

DocBarrister :(
Could be we're 6 times their population.

And we've tested more people.
What will the excuse be when we pass China later today?

I don’t believe all the numbers coming out of China
Neither do I. Silly comparison.
What’s so silly about it? The experience of China with this virus is essential. China has hardly been forthcoming, but I think the notion that their data are wholly unreliable is nonsense. China’s actions speak more loudly than the numbers. Their extreme isolation procedures have apparently worked in limiting further virus spread (for now).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Tupelo Mississippi Mayor Jason L. Shelton, for Governor

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make America Sane Again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you think the Republican problem in Mississippi is too much inbreeding, or is the actual problem too much inbreeding?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:56 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:20 pm We just passed Italy in total confirmed cases.

DocBarrister :(
Could be we're 6 times their population.

And we've tested more people.
What will the excuse be when we pass China later today?

I don’t believe all the numbers coming out of China
Neither do I. Silly comparison.
What’s so silly about it? The experience of China with this virus is essential. China has hardly been forthcoming, but I think the notion that their data are wholly unreliable is nonsense. China’s actions speak more loudly than the numbers. Their extreme isolation procedures have apparently worked in limiting further virus spread (for now).

DocBarrister
I agree their data is not wholly unreliable. It hangs together with what the rest of the world is seeing. That's scientists for you. National leadership, well that is a different story. First impulse is to hide things.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm What’s so silly about it? The experience of China with this virus is essential.
It's silly because you can't trust their data, or make decisions based on their data. Or verify their data. Not this soon, anyway.

Italy? Sure. UK? Of course.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm What’s so silly about it? The experience of China with this virus is essential.
It's silly because you can't trust their data, or make decisions based on their data. Or verify their data. Not this soon, anyway.

The way to figure out what you can trust is play the Chinese data off against what the rest of the world is seeing. I don't find the data as presented obviously wrong. The ratios are believable at this date. Are they high or low as a group, perhaps. Are they putting a good face on it? Yup.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Trump said “this is their new hoax.” The question, then, is what did he mean by “this.” A sentence or two earlier he referenced the “impeachment hoax.” So he was drawing a parallel between “this new” hoax and the previous impeachment “hoax.” The only logical way to read his remarks is that he meant the new hoax was the coronavirus or the seriousness of the coronavirus threat. There is no way to read the language to suggest he meant the Democrats’ politicalization of the threat, as he now claims.

He got caught on tape saying something dumb, as often happens with him. This time he couldn’t use his old and tired “I was joking” excuse given the seriousness of the pandemic.

Now, am I parsing his words too finely? Maybe. Trump surely ain’t no Cicero. But he said it. Just as the Republicans will run ads of Joe’s malapropisms, it is certainly fair game to run an ad where Trump called the coronavirus threat a hoax.

My reaction is that his cease and desist letter evidences how worried he is about how badly his “hoax” comment will play during the general election. He is trying to take a little steam out of the ads Biden will run in the fall. Whether he is successful or not may depend in large part on how this pandemic develops in the coming months.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Good answer. :D
Yet, hard to imagine that our President would be remotely on the same end of the scale of trustworthiness as China's.
Horrifying really, but reality.

Kram, you're 100% correct that China's #'s were likely very light, just as ours are now, given the lack of testing. They eventually changed the definition to include all those exhibiting symptoms in Wuhan as assumed cases of CV-19 regardless of whether they had a chance to be tested or not. Big spike based on that change in estimation. But still likely understating.

My son suggests that the current #'s are much more likely to be accurate or at least in the ballpark as there's such hyper-vigilance going on within the populace and social media is not being totally silenced. Even more importantly, they clearly don't have an out of control outbreak any more as they're dismantling all the temporary hospitals.

Here in the US we're not testing all with symptoms, not even here in Maryland where we don't seem to overwhelmed yet. So, we're undoubtedly missing an awful lot of actual cases, and that's not including asymptomatic.

Yet, we're about to move past China in total.
Note that a huge portion of the deaths (that they did report) in China were in the areas where it blew past any capacity to respond with good care. They were overwhelmed in Wuhan...if that happens here, we'll see deaths skyrocket as well. Looks like mere days from that happening in NYC. Already beginning.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm

While I wouldn’t trust their precise numbers, I absolutely believe they have markedly reduced the rate of new confirmed cases. Don’t think they would be easing restrictions if that were not true. There’s plenty to learn from China’s experience without believing their exact numbers. They may be low-balling some numbers, but they are not an order of magnitude off ... just can’t be with the recent actions taken by the Chinese government.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:20 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am https://babylonbee.com/news/pr-disaster ... oronavirus
PR Disaster: President Xi Forgets To Remove 'Made In China' Tags From Coronavirus
March 25th, 2020

BEIJING—In a PR disaster for the Communist government of China, President Xi Jinping suddenly realized he forgot to take off the "Made in China" tags from all copies of the coronavirus his government shipped all over the world.

"Oh, shoot, I knew I forgot something," the totalitarian Communist president muttered as his scientists examined COVID-19 viruses under microscopes and realized every copy of the virus had the telltale tag attached. "All this time I've been trying to blame America for this thing and the evidence was right there."

"How embarrassing!" Luckily for the Communists, the American media immediately began calling anyone who pointed out the tags' existence a racist, buying the CCP some time to deal with the PR fiasco.

The CCP has issued a recall on the virus, asking everyone with copies of the novel Wuhan coronavirus to ship them back to mainland China so the tags can be replaced with new ones reading "Made by Evil Pig-Dog President Trump."

:lol: That is funny, and as a gentle reminder, it's good to laugh even in the most difficult times.

Btw, Coronavirus has leveled up TDS to Ultra Hyper TDS Alpha. I see above this post that the following characters have utilized this board not to post any relevant information but instead to exercise their TDS for the day: JHU72 (4x), Brooklyn, Trinity, and DocBarrister. Must be an interesting way to live every second.
So true! And you've certainly forgotten to mention others PB...

I've been calling BS/nonsense on these characters for years now whose hate for the POTUS rules their very existence... no objectivity, no logic, and their instincts suck, despite being considered intelligent people.

That makes me a "Trumpist" I guess :roll:
Yep.

Your objectivity, logic, and instincts when it came to criticizing Obama, despite being considered intelligent.....was breathtaking. Is that what you think? Pot. Kettle.

The only difference is? No one dismissed your nonstop whining about Obama's foreign policy as TDS. They actually discussed your criticisms. Pity you can't muster the same courtesy for your fellow posters.

Anyone who dares criticize your precious snowflake leader MUST be insane. Because of course they are.
a fan and his silly broad brush strikes again :roll:

Never once did I criticize Obama or his family personally.

I disagreed with most of his policies but positively recognized some too (not many).

Always respected the office and election results as I do now.

Never used the repugnant language/names when referring to Obama like a lot of the anti-Trump clique does here.

You shouldn't be lecturing about anyone being dismissive or discourteous with your methods of so-called discussion. You know very well what I'm referring to.

Other than that, I assume this clarifies thing s for you a fan and I won't need to repeat again :D
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 am I've posted a couple times now that Maryland is not yet testing all people with serious symptoms. Have to either be a health care worker or first responder or actually need admission to hospital. Just being sick as heck is not enough.

No isolation of sick and no quarantine of families.

so, we likely have lots of cases spending the disease and will have our own bloom in due course...unless we get the testing fast.

I was surprised to learn this as my impression was that MD had its act together well.

Can you imagine what will eventually happen in Mississippi?
Was at nearby Annapolis Safeway at 5am opening today. Me + 1 other shopper in the store.
Streets empty. Seems like we locals are taking it seriously.

Return to “POLITICS”