All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

runrussellrun

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am You.....I repeat YOU are making claims about this 69 page report. More tRump bashing. So, me asking , what part of this awesome plan should be implemented....or should have been implimented....is "fighting"... You made the statement.....back it up. In what world is providing proof and support of a statement....is "fighting" ???... Otherwise, you are a horrible debater.......like most of our generation. Especially ones whose primarly method of "debate" is electronic, and not face to face.
runrussell, i'm not here to debate. i'm here to discuss. for the second time, i'm uninterested in engaging with you. stay safe.
No, you are here to make loud THUDS. I am discussing. You provide a link, but can't name ONE thing this valuable in that link.

Why this place is a joke.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:02 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 am
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 am Obama left Trump a pandemic plan to follow. But the plan was hidden where Trump could never find it. In a book.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... cil-149285
The transition was awful. The Trump administrations attitude was basically, Don't bother, get out. That this good work was ignored is far from a surprise.
If this "playbook" was so valuable.........was it used in WHO's December "exercise" on pandemics ? How about the October, event 201, held in Manhatten. Did THEY implement any of this "good work", or did the "professionals" ignore it too?

Suddenly, they NOT using this awesome "playbook" is NOT an issue. Got it.
I just noticed on the PDF, in the upper left hand corner on the first page.......

...NOT FOR PUBLIC

WHy would Obama put that on a "valuable" playbook? Was this available to our public health officials?
The playbook was created by the part of the NSC that was specifically set up by the Obama administration partially at least in response to the Ebola outbreak.

That functional part of the NSC was killed (or folded into other responsibilities) in 2018 by the Trump admin (and Bolton was apparently highly influential here).

Because it was an NSC document, it was NOT public. That does not mean it was not useful - it was specifically prepared to guide the White House and the executive branch top officials in their decision making, so they would have a framework for dealing with future crises quickly and effectively. But (and this is my opinion) the overriding impulse of Trump has been to rid the administration of anything that Obama had his hands on. So it gets ignored, and it does not help that the structure that went with it in the NSC was modified enough to help insure it never got used.

And there is plenty of good stuff there. It is a pretty good guide to all the missteps this administration has made in omission.

One further thing - using even bad tests (say 60% false negative rates) has been modeled, and it can (if imperfectly) slow the progression of infection.
GREAT .........can you highlite the parts that are useful?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 am Done. The 69 page "playbook" offers no, to little value.

Very early on it mentioned working with the World Health Organization (WHO )

They didn't make the world wide pandemic call until 15 days ago.

Be specific matnum, what part of this valuable "playbook" should be implemented. Name just one example.
The WHO has been in this fight since the beginning. It met their criteria for being considered a pandemic in mid-late January (about the time the first cases where reported in a dozen countries, including the US). Everyone familiar with the criteria knew what the world was facing. The CDC knew, NIH knew, FDA knew, healthcare / medically literate individuals all over the world knew. Even the "spies" knew. To begin taking action didn't require a formal declaration of the WHO. The Chinese and WHO announced the discovery and isolation of the virus on January 9, a Thursday. That weekend the Chinese made available samples and the genome available to any nation that wanted them (distributed by the WHO). The world cannot claim they did not know after January 9. 2020.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am You.....I repeat YOU are making claims about this 69 page report. More tRump bashing. So, me asking , what part of this awesome plan should be implemented....or should have been implimented....is "fighting"... You made the statement.....back it up. In what world is providing proof and support of a statement....is "fighting" ???... Otherwise, you are a horrible debater.......like most of our generation. Especially ones whose primarly method of "debate" is electronic, and not face to face.
runrussell, i'm not here to debate. i'm here to discuss. for the second time, i'm uninterested in engaging with you. stay safe.
No, you are here to make loud THUDS. I am discussing. You provide a link, but can't name ONE thing this valuable in that link.

You are free to leave.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 am Done. The 69 page "playbook" offers no, to little value.

Be specific matnum, what part of this valuable "playbook" should be implemented. Name just one example.
The WHO has been in this fight since the beginning. It met their criteria for being considered a pandemic in mid-late January (about the time the first cases where reported in a dozen countries, including the US). Everyone familiar with the criteria knew what the world was facing. The CDC knew, NIH knew, FDA knew, healthcare / medically literate individuals all over the world knew. Even the "spies" knew. To begin taking action didn't require a formal declaration of the WHO. The Chinese and WHO announced the discovery and isolation of the virus on January 9, a Thursday. That weekend the Chinese made available samples and the genome available to any nation that wanted them (distributed by the WHO). The world cannot claim they did not know after January 9. 2020.
And the world was silent. This thread was started on Jan. 28th...........19 days after the world knew. Why didn't you inform us sooner, JHu72
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:52 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:38 am They are in the counties immediately surrounding DC.
You getting this from the Hopkins webpage?

Is there a website where you can find the demographics of the deceased?

It reads like you are happy that the numbers are increasing.......strange.
More like resigned.

You can get the same information from any site that tracks state health departments. Hopkins, Manchester University, etc. They each have a different presentation of the raw data. I don't follow Worldmeter, but I assume they do the same thing.
Why are PRIVATE universities running our PUBLIC health data ? What is the CDC for?
Quite possibly because whomever at JHU is responsible for the pages is getting grant money from the federal government (like NIH here) to do just such things. It is well within the mission of a research university to do so. Hopefully they are not the only ones paying for it.
Perhaps. Hopkins didn't build the infrastructure for this effort specifically. It is an effort of the Computer and System Engineering group. Same thing at Manchester - a student project in the CS department. Don't know about Worldmeter. Hopkins does not fund it by advertising. Manchester is funding by donations and banner ads.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

To be fair, it was about the last week of January that there was full recognition that that community spread was not only after symptoms, but also by asymptomatic carriers. That was a huge extra complication.

But totally agree that once that was known, there's been NO EXCUSE for the pooh poohing of the severity, the notion that travel bans were sufficient, or that the virus was just another flu...and NO EXCUSE for the foot dragging to prepare for the inevitable, the need to surveillance test, trace and isolate/quarantine and to vastly expand PPE's and ventilator capacities. It was coming and it would come fast. We could slow it, manage through it, but instead we were led by a guy who wished it wasn't happening and said all the wrong things to both the American public and his direct reports.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 am

You are free to leave.
No comment on backing up statements? Naming one part of this awesome plan that should be implemented? Ask your wife if I am "fighting" by asking for something that will help combat this potential, horrible aspects, of this virus.

Guess you don't care about anyone, but yourself and garnering some sort of affirmation that your input will help with this crisis.

"I have a great plan, blueprint, that will help "

"great, can we read it"

" Yes"

after reading it.......several times.........many are at a loss as to what we should be doing.

"I read and re-read the report. Can you HELP me? I can't seem to find any information that will help with this crisis"

F off fatty, you are aguing.

stay helpful fellas........
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

And the world was silent. This thread was started on Jan. 28th...........19 days after the world knew. Why didn't you inform us sooner, JHu72
You don't watch or listen to the news??? Never read NYT, WaPo, Globe? I bet even Faux News did a segment on this at the time.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

See my post above. It was later in January that it became understood that asymptomatic carriers were spreading the virus. and, yes, it was already popping up all over the world.

No Excuses after that.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:04 am
GREAT .........can you highlite the parts that are useful?
Section 1.3 on Credible Threat is particularly useful. But even though you disagree, there is little in the document that is useless. Especially in an administration that revolves around the whims of a know-nothing self-proclaimed expert in everything.

The better question is what makes this document not useful. A blanket statement that the whole thing is junk is completely non-specific, but you demand specific answers.

I will say that at least some of the administration seem to be trying to do the right thing here (for example, Mulvaney was holding meetings early and often in January and February). Probably hastened his eventual departure, as Trump apparently did not want to hear it (that this was a huge threat).

But Mulvaney also was telling the crowds at CPAC there was nothing to worry about, while getting the super hard to get test himself (tested before he spoke at CPAC).
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am https://babylonbee.com/news/pr-disaster ... oronavirus
PR Disaster: President Xi Forgets To Remove 'Made In China' Tags From Coronavirus
March 25th, 2020

BEIJING—In a PR disaster for the Communist government of China, President Xi Jinping suddenly realized he forgot to take off the "Made in China" tags from all copies of the coronavirus his government shipped all over the world.

"Oh, shoot, I knew I forgot something," the totalitarian Communist president muttered as his scientists examined COVID-19 viruses under microscopes and realized every copy of the virus had the telltale tag attached. "All this time I've been trying to blame America for this thing and the evidence was right there."

"How embarrassing!" Luckily for the Communists, the American media immediately began calling anyone who pointed out the tags' existence a racist, buying the CCP some time to deal with the PR fiasco.

The CCP has issued a recall on the virus, asking everyone with copies of the novel Wuhan coronavirus to ship them back to mainland China so the tags can be replaced with new ones reading "Made by Evil Pig-Dog President Trump."

:lol: That is funny, and as a gentle reminder, it's good to laugh even in the most difficult times.

Btw, Coronavirus has leveled up TDS to Ultra Hyper TDS Alpha. I see above this post that the following characters have utilized this board not to post any relevant information but instead to exercise their TDS for the day: JHU72 (4x), Brooklyn, Trinity, and DocBarrister. Must be an interesting way to live every second.
So true! And you've certainly forgotten to mention others PB...

I've been calling BS/nonsense on these characters for years now whose hate for the POTUS rules their very existence... no objectivity, no logic, and their instincts suck, despite being considered intelligent people.

That makes me a "Trumpist" I guess :roll:
Yep.

Your objectivity, logic, and instincts when it came to criticizing Obama, despite being considered intelligent.....was breathtaking. Is that what you think? Pot. Kettle.

The only difference is? No one dismissed your nonstop whining about Obama's foreign policy as TDS. They actually discussed your criticisms. Pity you can't muster the same courtesy for your fellow posters.

Anyone who dares criticize your precious snowflake leader MUST be insane. Because of course they are.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 am

You are free to leave.
No comment on backing up statements? Naming one part of this awesome plan that should be implemented? Ask your wife if I am "fighting" by asking for something that will help combat this potential, horrible aspects, of this virus.

Guess you don't care about anyone, but yourself and garnering some sort of affirmation that your input will help with this crisis.

"I have a great plan, blueprint, that will help "

"great, can we read it"

" Yes"

after reading it.......several times.........many are at a loss as to what we should be doing.

"I read and re-read the report. Can you HELP me? I can't seem to find any information that will help with this crisis"

F off fatty, you are aguing.

stay helpful fellas........
you told me to stop calling you fatty, (your LP moniker) which I've respected.

What I don't respect' is the constant disrespect of other posters.

It's a 'free country', so you will do whatever you like, but as I said, if you're so disgusted with this forum, you are also free to leave.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Whoa did people here discuss this (below) before?!?!?

Mark Levine, NYC Councilman PLUS the NYC Health Commissioner (geez...), posted these tweets below on February 9th? Obviously it's total Monday morning quarterbacking, and I am sure in hindsight they feel awful (and btw I am not blaming them...I doubt most people knew the drill on 2-9), but it's easy to see why NYC is the epicenter of this in the US:

Levine.jpg
Levine.jpg (134.5 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

Barbot.jpg
Barbot.jpg (143.65 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:16 am

To be fair, it was about the last week of January that there was full recognition that that community spread was not only after symptoms, but also by asymptomatic carriers. That was a huge extra complication.

But totally agree that once that was known, there's been NO EXCUSE for the pooh poohing of the severity, the notion that travel bans were sufficient, or that the virus was just another flu...and NO EXCUSE for the foot dragging to prepare for the inevitable, the need to surveillance test, trace and isolate/quarantine and to vastly expand PPE's and ventilator capacities. It was coming and it would come fast. We could slow it, manage through it, but instead we were led by a guy who wished it wasn't happening and said all the wrong things to both the American public and his direct reports.
The first identified case landed on US shores between 16-19 January. The Chinese locked down their country on the 24th of January. Even Trump had heard the news. He banned travel from China on January 31 if IRCC. Didn't need a formal WHO declaration to do any of that.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

and btw, that's not my Twitter handle lol...I am screenshotting from the internet.

:lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 am

The first case landed on US shores shortly before or after January 15. The Chinese locked down their country on the 24th of January. Even Trump had heard the news. He banned travel from China on January 31 if IRCC. Didn't need a formal WHO declaration to do any of that.

Well I guess that answers that. Some people knew before February 9th (date when the NYC Councilman and their Health Commissioner told everyone it was safe to attend the Chinese NY celebrations in Chinatown NYC).
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

pb, wow. the memory of the internet is amazing. there's no hiding our statements and mis-statements. *that* is a mis-statement. you can argue, yeah, but the virus didn't hit our shores until X date but... that's a mis-statement.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:02 pmTrinity's maniacal focus on Trump and Trump's twitter feed brings zero to the table here. Trinity's sole goal with that post is to elevate the echo chamber's hatred of Trump, not to dive into how a megaphone might impact people's lives. One of the reasons I began to tune out TDS posts is because of this; they lost sight of the fight.
Take out "Trinity" replace with "6ftstick, cradlenshoot, rrr, ya", or several others...pick one...

Take out "Trump" and insert "Obama".

See? Look in the mirror. You guys taught us all about "the fight"

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 am

The first case landed on US shores shortly before or after January 15. The Chinese locked down their country on the 24th of January. Even Trump had heard the news. He banned travel from China on January 31 if IRCC. Didn't need a formal WHO declaration to do any of that.

Well I guess that answers that. Some people knew before February 9th (date when the NYC Councilman and their Health Commissioner told everyone it was safe to attend the Chinese NY celebrations in Chinatown NYC).
In fact, more than a month before. Levine did a stupid thing, but he had someone who should have known better doing the same and worse before February 9th:

Jan. 22: “We have it totally under control.”
Jan. 24: “It will all work out well.”
Jan. 29: “Just received a briefing on the Coronavirus in China from all of our GREAT agencies, who are also working closely with China. We will continue to monitor the ongoing developments. We have the best experts anywhere in the world, and they are on top of it 24/7!”
Jan. 30: “We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for it. So that I can assure you.”
Feb. 2: “Well, we pretty much shut it down coming in from China. … We can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem, the coronavirus. So we’re gonna see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”
Feb. 7: “Nothing is easy, but [Chinese President Xi Jinping] … will be successful, especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone.”

It becomes even more delusional after Feb 7th.

Return to “POLITICS”