All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

runrussellrun

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 am
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 am Obama left Trump a pandemic plan to follow. But the plan was hidden where Trump could never find it. In a book.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... cil-149285
The transition was awful. The Trump administrations attitude was basically, Don't bother, get out. That this good work was ignored is far from a surprise.
If this "playbook" was so valuable.........was it used in WHO's December "exercise" on pandemics ? How about the October, event 201, held in Manhatten. Did THEY implement any of this "good work", or did the "professionals" ignore it too?

Suddenly, they NOT using this awesome "playbook" is NOT an issue. Got it.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am Easy there Mr. Moderate. You're trying to look tough with a party hat on.

Nothing to be embarrassed about; he was properly impeached, and acquitted by his toadying crowd of scared little boys and girls. Only to have bungled the response to this crisis.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 15576.html

It's from the "Independent;" like you, right?
So Hillarys president.

Are we quarantined. Are we practicing social distancing. Voluntarily like a free society. Or under martial law.

Do we have a coronavirus test that can be administered at 300K per day 100% accurate. Or would be using a flawed test with 30-50% false results.

Hillary couldn't protect an embassy in the most dangerous part of the world on the first anniversary of 911 after we killed Bin Laden.

Come on Whats different.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 am Easy there Mr. Moderate. You're trying to look tough with a party hat on.

Nothing to be embarrassed about; he was properly impeached, and acquitted by his toadying crowd of scared little boys and girls. Only to have bungled the response to this crisis.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 15576.html

It's from the "Independent;" like you, right?
Just the reply I'd expect from a partisan pawn such as yourself :roll:

It's okay, you can have the last word. You're obviously a dead end...sad.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:28 am
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:17 am Obama left Trump a pandemic plan to follow. But the plan was hidden where Trump could never find it. In a book.

The transition was awful. The Trump administrations attitude was basically, Don't bother, get out. That this good work was ignored is far from a surprise.
If this "playbook" was so valuable.........was it used in WHO's December "exercise" on pandemics ? How about the October, event 201, held in Manhatten. Did THEY implement any of this "good work", or did the "professionals" ignore it too?

I just noticed on the PDF, in the upper left hand corner on the first page.......

...NOT FOR PUBLIC

WHy would Obama put that on a "valuable" playbook? Was this available to our public health officials?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think a lot of grandmas are going to die what ever we do.

If you flatten the curve, then the prevalence of coronavirus might stay high for a long time, taking us longer to get to the backside of the curve. Thus making it harder for grandmas to avoid the disease.
Live Free or Die!
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am I think a lot of grandmas are going to die what ever we do.

If you flatten the curve, then the prevalence of coronavirus might stay high for a long time, taking us longer to get to the backside of the curve. Thus making it harder for grandmas to avoid the disease.
Grandpas are dying in bigger numbers than grandmas.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Done. The 69 page "playbook" offers no, to little value.

Very early on it mentioned working with the World Health Organization (WHO )

They didn't make the world wide pandemic call until 15 days ago.

Be specific matnum, what part of this valuable "playbook" should be implemented. Name just one example.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 am Be specific matnum, what part of this valuable "playbook" should be implemented. Name just one example.
runrussell, talk directly to someone else. I come here to discuss, not to fight.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am I think a lot of grandmas are going to die what ever we do.

Grandma catches it in both scenarios. The difference is that she would have a much better chance of having an ICU bed and healthy doctors with a flatter curve.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

You are describing what the "Deep State" types did in those exercises, not Trump and co.
That's the problem, the folks who are paid to pay attention to this stuff were not able to persuade their bosses.
Who, clearly didn't want to hear it. Still don't.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am

Grandpas are dying in bigger numbers than grandmas.
I was noticing that too - that men are dying at a higher rate.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ographics/
Live Free or Die!
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:38 am They are in the counties immediately surrounding DC.
You getting this from the Hopkins webpage?

Is there a website where you can find the demographics of the deceased?

It reads like you are happy that the numbers are increasing.......strange.
More like resigned.

You can get the same information from any site that tracks state health departments. Hopkins, Manchester University, etc. They each have a different presentation of the raw data. I don't follow Worldmeter, but I assume they do the same thing.
Why are PRIVATE universities running our PUBLIC health data ? What is the CDC for?
Quite possibly because whomever at JHU is responsible for the pages is getting grant money from the federal government (like NIH here) to do just such things. It is well within the mission of a research university to do so. Hopefully they are not the only ones paying for it.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Grandma catches it in both scenarios. The difference is that she would have a much better chance of having an ICU bed and healthy doctors with a flatter curve.
But does that make that much difference - a lot are dying even with that.
Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

Just to be clear, not only does grandma/grandpa die, so too will a whole lot of younger folks.
Including the health care workers.
and many will have long term respiratory and cardiovascular damage.
And that's just from the virus directly.

If the health system is overwhelmed, as has happened in Italy, and already beginning to happen in NYC, a whole lot of others suffer and/or die, from inability to get normal good care.

Babies die.

Yes, cooter, the fight is longer if the curve is flattened, but avoidance of system being overwhelmed and the benefit of time to develop and test viral remedies and vaccines will save an awful lot of suffering.

We don't know yet whether heat of summer will provide some respite, but hopefully so. But that means we can expect it back in the fall. Hopefully by then we'll have the testing in place to be able to selectively isolate and quarantine instead of broad brush. And hopefully the vaccine will be available in a year, though that won't deal with the next season. Maybe some anti-viral remedies.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 am
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:36 am Be specific matnum, what part of this valuable "playbook" should be implemented. Name just one example.
runrussell, talk directly to someone else. I come here to discuss, not to fight.
Look, I too and seeking information. What makes you think I am "fighting"

You.....I repeat YOU are making claims about this 69 page report. More tRump bashing. So, me asking , what part of this awesome plan should be implemented....or should have been implimented....is "fighting"

I read the entire thing. It's junk. Do you realize how make question marks are in this 69 page PDF? To me, a question is NOT a recommendation.

You made the statement.....back it up. In what world is providing proof and support of a statement....is "fighting" ??? What the heck. Guess english teachers shouldn't critique essays any longer. I was taught to support statements. Oh well.

Otherwise, you are a horrible debater.......like most of our generation. Especially ones whose primarly method of "debate" is electronic, and not face to face.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 am
In short, you do NOT discuss. You throw unsupported statements out, aimed, solely, at one human being.

Why does every page of this awesome playbook have "not for PUBLIC distribution" on it? Or, is that fighting.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So, you're not 'fighting" RR, just "debating"???

No, your consistent insistence against "Trump bashing" reveals that you're not actually hoping to learn something from one another, it's just all about countering the "Trump bashing".

Fine, we got it.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 am You.....I repeat YOU are making claims about this 69 page report. More tRump bashing. So, me asking , what part of this awesome plan should be implemented....or should have been implimented....is "fighting"... You made the statement.....back it up. In what world is providing proof and support of a statement....is "fighting" ???... Otherwise, you are a horrible debater.......like most of our generation. Especially ones whose primarly method of "debate" is electronic, and not face to face.
runrussell, i'm not here to debate. i'm here to discuss. for the second time, i'm uninterested in engaging with you. stay safe.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 am So, you're not 'fighting" RR, just "debating"???

No, your consistent insistence against "Trump bashing" reveals that you're not actually hoping to learn something from one another, it's just all about countering the "Trump bashing".

Fine, we got it.
No, it's about countering statements about an "awesome report", full of awesome recomendations.

He posted a link, and can't answer a very simple question. Name just ONE recommendation or "action item" that this 69 page report offers that should, or should have, been implemented?

Just answer the question. It's childish not too.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 am

I just noticed on the PDF, in the upper left hand corner on the first page.......

...NOT FOR PUBLIC

WHy would Obama put that on a "valuable" playbook? Was this available to our public health officials?
The playbook was created by the part of the NSC that was specifically set up by the Obama administration partially at least in response to the Ebola outbreak.

That functional part of the NSC was killed (or folded into other responsibilities) in 2018 by the Trump admin (and Bolton was apparently highly influential here).

Because it was an NSC document, it was NOT public. That does not mean it was not useful - it was specifically prepared to guide the White House and the executive branch top officials in their decision making, so they would have a framework for dealing with future crises quickly and effectively. But (and this is my opinion) the overriding impulse of Trump has been to rid the administration of anything that Obama had his hands on. So it gets ignored, and it does not help that the structure that went with it in the NSC was modified enough to help insure it never got used.

And there is plenty of good stuff there. It is a pretty good guide to all the missteps this administration has made in omission.

One further thing - using even bad tests (say 60% false negative rates) has been modeled, and it can (if imperfectly) slow the progression of infection.

Return to “POLITICS”