All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

tech37

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by tech37 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 pm
You should be banned from this forum.

DB
:lol: :roll: This may be the the most ironically hilarious post ever on this board
Last edited by tech37 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-to- ... -drop-dead

Trump to NY—Drop dead, you’ve been mean to me.

Also— On the $500 billion loan program for struggling businesses: “Democrats also secured a provision that will block Trump family businesses — or those of other senior government officials — from receiving loan money under the programs,” Mr. Schumer said.

Maybe he SHOULD have divested.
Last edited by Trinity on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Prince Charles, heir to the British throne tests positive for coronavirus. Mild symptoms. He is 71YO.
Bart

Post by Bart »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:58 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 pm
bart:
Do you happen to have a link to the report on functional but old ventilators?
It was a former PH Doc on tv. I think the former Peace Corps med director.
https://delawarebusinessnow.com/2020/03 ... al-device/
Thanks for this. If there are 10's of thousands of these in cold storage, this will take the edge off. Wont solve the shortage but if they can bring them on line quickly it will buy time for others to make new ones. This is a great strategy, I hope it pays off.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I could post this on Orange Duce, for the President's stupidity. Or the media matters thread, for Fox's remarkable irresponsibility. But I'll go with this thread because of the public health information and trajectory juxtaposed against Il Duce's unbearable stupidity. Choices are hard.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/24/21192812/ ... oronavirus

"Coronavirus is actually far deadlier than the flu or car crashes
In 2018, roughly 36,560 people died in automobile accidents. Another 38,000 died from flu-related causes in the winter ending that same year.

We don’t yet know how many deaths the coronavirus will cause. But a recent study pegged the mortality rate for symptomatic coronavirus cases at 1.4 percent. That may not sound devastating in a vacuum, but it is significant, as that rate means the coronavirus could kill up to 1.1 million Americans if allowed to spread unchecked.

This is why it is important to socially distance. We do not yet have a coronavirus vaccine, meaning the best tool we have to slow the spread of the virus and minimize deaths is to practice social distancing until testing is so common that we know how far the virus has spread.

But Trump’s argument during the Fox News town hall (and elsewhere) was to insist that Americans have already learned the necessary lessons of social distancing and will be careful about practicing it at work. But there’s really no way for a restaurant server to stay at least 6 feet away from customers, nor is it feasible, for example, for people to practice distancing in crowded buses or factories.

Trump, however, doesn’t seem to understand the point of social distancing. During an interview with Fox News that aired after the town hall, he revealed this by telling Hemmer that he hopes to see churches packed on Easter.

Experts say the most direct path to normalcy is not to just hope people manage not to infect each other, but to establish a rigorous testing regime, one that would allow us to understand where it might be safe to relax social distancing and which states and cities might require more restrictive quarantines. But the Trump administration’s coronavirus response continues to be plagued by testing failures that hamper all of our abilities to develop a reliable picture of how far the virus has spread. Asked about those failures during the town hall, Trump changed the topic before ultimately absolving himself of responsibility.

“Nobody ever expected a thing like this,” said Trump, who worked to dismantle America’s pandemic preparedness during his first three years in office. “Nobody would say that million and millions of people [would need to be] tested.”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 am
bart:
Thanks for this. If there are 10's of thousands of these in cold storage, this will take the edge off. Wont solve the shortage but if they can bring them on line quickly it will buy time for others to make new ones. This is a great strategy, I hope it pays off.
Admirable effort, but the article doesn't explain (I couldn't find it) where the old ventilators are going to come from. Seems to me finding those is going to be the limiting factor in all this.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm 3/24/2020 per capita numbers (past 24 hrs from roughly 7:30 3/23/20 pm to 7:30 pm 3/24/20)

Interesting information follows:

US Cases per Capita --> 16.3 per 100,000
US Deaths per Capita --> 2.1 per million

States with highest per capita infection (per 100,000)
--> New York 132.0; 23% higher than yesterday's rate
--> New Jersey 41.4; 29% higher than yesterday's rate
--> Washington 30.6; 17% higher than yesterday's rate
--> Louisiana 29.9; 19% higher than yesterday's rate
--> District of Columbia 20.0; 18% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Michigan 18.0; 35% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Connecticut 17.3; 49% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Massachusetts 16.8; 49% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Vermont 15.2; 27% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Colorado 12.6; 21% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Illinois 12.1; 20% higher that yesterday's rate
--> Rhode Island 11.7; 17% higher that yesterday's rate - NEW
--> Tennessee 11.3; 26% higher that yesterday's rate - NEW
--> Mississippi 10.8; 29% higher that yesterday's rate - NEW
--> Delaware 10.7; 27% higher that yesterday's rate - NEW

Only 18 states have death rates of more than 1 per million
--> Washington 15.2 per million
--> Vermont 11.2 per million
--> New York 10.8 per million
--> Louisiana 9.9 per million
--> New Jersey 5.0 per million
--> Connecticut 3.3 per million
--> Georgia 3.0 per million
--> District of Columbia 2.8 per million
--> Michigan 2.4 per million
--> Oregon 1.9 per million
--> Indiana 1.8 per million
--> Massachusetts 1.6 per million
--> Colorado 1.4 per million
--> California 1.3 per million
--> Nevada 1.3 per million
--> South Dakota 1.1 per million
--> Virginia 1.1 per million - NEW
--> South Carolina 1.0 per million

US deaths in the last 24 hours is 32% greater than the deaths for the previous 24 hours
US new cases in the last 24 hours is 24% greater than the new cases in the previous 24 hours

Two new state have joined the club, recording their first death in the past 24 hours
--> Arkansas
--> Hawaii

Notes:
-- National death rate growth is once again outstripping the infection rate growth.
-- False flag – Washington State is not making a turn, infections and deaths have continued their rise overnight.
-- There was a question at the end of last week as to how real the outbreak in Vermont is. It is real, it now has the second highest death rate in the country, exceeding New York. We don’t hear much about it.
-- New England has clearly got a problem that is starting to show, four states in the region are among the infection and death rate leaders. Massachusetts and Connecticut infections grew 50% overnight.
-- The upper Midwest is all starting to show signs of a significant outbreak as well.
-- Louisiana continues to move in the wrong direction and crying out for help. It appears to be largely ignored by the federal government and the media. Meanwhile, Tennessee, and Mississippi have made the list of most highly infected states.
-- Colorado has now also clearly got a problem moving rapidly in the wrong direction.
Thanks for this, jhu72.

Bottom line, things are getting much worse.

DocBarrister :|
Vermont had 7 Deaths total yesterday. 7

Massachusetts and Connecticut infections grew 50% overnight to 11 and 12 respectfully.

Half the deaths are in NY and Washington.

Most new cases in Louisana are in densely populated New Orleans

You're posts signal the end of the world when theres some room before we get there.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:46 am I could post this on Orange Duce, for the President's stupidity. Or the media matters thread, for Fox's remarkable irresponsibility. But I'll go with this thread because of the public health information and trajectory juxtaposed against Il Duce's unbearable stupidity. Choices are hard.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/24/21192812/ ... oronavirus

"Coronavirus is actually far deadlier than the flu or car crashes
In 2018, roughly 36,560 people died in automobile accidents. Another 38,000 died from flu-related causes in the winter ending that same year.

We don’t yet know how many deaths the coronavirus will cause. But a recent study pegged the mortality rate for symptomatic coronavirus cases at 1.4 percent. That may not sound devastating in a vacuum, but it is significant, as that rate means the coronavirus could kill up to 1.1 million Americans if allowed to spread unchecked.

This is why it is important to socially distance. We do not yet have a coronavirus vaccine, meaning the best tool we have to slow the spread of the virus and minimize deaths is to practice social distancing until testing is so common that we know how far the virus has spread.

But Trump’s argument during the Fox News town hall (and elsewhere) was to insist that Americans have already learned the necessary lessons of social distancing and will be careful about practicing it at work. But there’s really no way for a restaurant server to stay at least 6 feet away from customers, nor is it feasible, for example, for people to practice distancing in crowded buses or factories.

Trump, however, doesn’t seem to understand the point of social distancing. During an interview with Fox News that aired after the town hall, he revealed this by telling Hemmer that he hopes to see churches packed on Easter.

Experts say the most direct path to normalcy is not to just hope people manage not to infect each other, but to establish a rigorous testing regime, one that would allow us to understand where it might be safe to relax social distancing and which states and cities might require more restrictive quarantines. But the Trump administration’s coronavirus response continues to be plagued by testing failures that hamper all of our abilities to develop a reliable picture of how far the virus has spread. Asked about those failures during the town hall, Trump changed the topic before ultimately absolving himself of responsibility.

“Nobody ever expected a thing like this,” said Trump, who worked to dismantle America’s pandemic preparedness during his first three years in office. “Nobody would say that million and millions of people [would need to be] tested.”
why are you still quoting "unchecked" totals to scare people. You think we haven't done anything to check the virus spread. Why the h*ll have I been sitting in my house washing my hands for 10 days.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The point is the trend and trajectory. You don't get that, really?
Bart

Post by Bart »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 am
bart:
Admirable effort, but the article doesn't explain (I couldn't find it) where the old ventilators are going to come from. Seems to me finding those is going to be the limiting factor in all this.
The video embedded int he post (BTW>>How do you do that?) below the Gov indicated they had all these ventilators. He did not say how many they have. Old Salt indicated he had either read or saw a report indicating there were alot of these.

This will not solve the problem. This could buy time.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“About 65 people attended a disco themed birthday party at @realdonaldtrump’s birthday party March 8. Nobody looked sick. But coronavirus was in the room. Now 17 guests are ill.”

Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... test-news/
Last edited by Trinity on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 am The point is the trend and trajectory. You don't get that, really?
Of course I get it. But to quote 1.1 Millions dead is inappropriate at this point in the crisis.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am “About 65 people attended a disco themed birthday party at @realdonaldtrump’s birthday party March 8. Nobody looked sick. But coronavirus was in the room. Now 17 guests are ill.”

Washington Post

Here is another party story from Westport CT in Fairfield County adjacent to NY. This town has more cases than any other town in CT,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/c ... -zero.html

"Party Zero: How a Soirée in Connecticut Became a ‘Super Spreader’

About 50 people gathered this month for a party in the upscale suburb of Westport, then scattered across the region and the world, taking the coronavirus with them.

About 50 guests gathered on March 5 at a home in the stately suburb of Westport, Conn., to toast the hostess on her 40th birthday and greet old friends, including one visiting from South Africa. They shared reminiscences, a lavish buffet and, unknown to anyone, the coronavirus.

Then they scattered.

The Westport soirée — Party Zero in southwestern Connecticut and beyond — is a story of how, in the Gilded Age of money, social connectedness and air travel, a pandemic has spread at lightning speed. The partygoers — more than half of whom are now infected — left that evening for Johannesburg, New York City and other parts of Connecticut and the United States, all seeding infections on the way.

Westport, a town of 28,000 on the Long Island Sound, did not have a single known case of the coronavirus on the day of the party. It had 85 on Monday, up more than 40-fold in 11 days."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 am
seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 am The point is the trend and trajectory. You don't get that, really?
Of course I get it. But to quote 1.1 Millions dead is inappropriate at this point in the crisis.
No, you are dead f*cking wrong: it is not inappropriate -- especially while Dear Leader is telling Americans to gather in Churches in a couple of weeks. Frankly, it may be that the rest of us have a moral duty to counteract Trump's venal stupidity.

Remember:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180970372/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

It's the trend line, not the magnitude that matters for the future. Those 7 deaths in Vermont, would not move the needle in California, but they didn't happen in California, they happened in Vermont. 2 deaths brought Vermont to my attention initially, could be noise. Another 5 within a week makes this very unlikely random noise. Has finally caught the attention of the Governor of Vermont.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am “About 65 people attended a disco themed birthday party at @realdonaldtrump’s birthday party March 8. Nobody looked sick. But coronavirus was in the room. Now 17 guests are ill.”

Washington Post

You really can be reprehensible

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-disc ... 48344.html
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:56 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 am
bart:
The video embedded int he post (BTW>>How do you do that?) below the Gov indicated they had all these ventilators. He did not say how many they have. Old Salt indicated he had either read or saw a report indicating there were alot of these.

This will not solve the problem. This could buy time.
Thanks. Didn't watch the video, just read the article.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:02 am
6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 am
No, you are dead f*cking wrong: it is not inappropriate -- especially while Dear Leader is telling Americans to gather in Churches in a couple of weeks. Frankly, it may be that the rest of us have a moral duty to counteract Trump's venal stupidity.

Remember:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180970372/
Of course the president who ordered all the shutdowns border closings and Travel bans that have got us to this point is stupidly venal enough to risk it all prematurely and without the facts to support the move.

Of course.

Return to “POLITICS”