All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

calourie

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by calourie »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:18 pm
calourie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:08 pm Love the recorded Trump comment I just saw: "I'll be the oversight, we'll make really good deals". 6ft and Peter Brown, does this sound like a good idea to you guys? Just curious. I'm worried it might just be my TDS keeping me from being more enthusiastic about Trump's proposal.

You have me confused for someone else. But as importantly, TDS causes you to think anyone who doesn't regurgitate 'Orange Man Bad' 24-7 is a Trumper, to you anyway.

Quick refresher: I think the worst president in my lifetime is and will always be GWB (R). His dad (R) wasn't much better. I think the best one was Bill Clinton (D). I like Joe Biden (D). I think Dick Cheney (R) is a flaming you know what. Obama (D) is a class act and I like him and his family a great deal. Trump (R) has his good points and he has his bad points. I fundamentally objected to Hillary Clinton (D).

As to your broader implication: shockingly, I do not think Trump will steal the money and place it in his personal checking account.

Any other questions?
Don't be so sensitive. Just trying to point out the weakness of the TDS trope. Rarely the most thought out defense of Trump. Perhaps nothing can be done to keep you and others from employing it when you feel exasperated.
Last edited by calourie on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:21 pm Trump thinks it’s almost time to go back to work. Dr Fauci is not present.
This is Trump's comment about Fauci missing at last night's rally -

"Asked why Dr. Fauci isn't at today's briefing, Trump said, "He's not here because we weren't discussing what he's best at."
Fauci is best at mitigating infectious diseases, according to his credentials, and sits on the coronavirus task force."

If he proceeds in contradiction to the scientists, we'd all better buckle up and hope they don't quit in opposition to opening up the economy sooner than we should.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 pm Maybe a bit big brother, but data we (as a people) are already giving up to apps on our phones can be used to calculate how well we are doing in social distancing by measuring the drop in travel on average per phone tracked (can get a letter grade for each county in US):

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social- ... scoreboard
Interesting. You can really see the blue state / red state difference. Naturally Wyoming is dead last. I guess a state with 3 people is already low enough density.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 pm Maybe a bit big brother, but data we (as a people) are already giving up to apps on our phones can be used to calculate how well we are doing in social distancing by measuring the drop in travel on average per phone tracked (can get a letter grade for each county in US):

Interesting. You can really see the blue state / red state difference. Naturally Wyoming is dead last. I guess a state with 3 people is already low enough density.
My county in SC got a C grade - about a 27% drop in travel. But we (as of this writing) don't have a case and the neighboring counties just have 1-3.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:12 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:10 pm

My county in SC got a C grade - about a 27% drop in travel. But we (as of this writing) don't have a case and the neighboring counties just have 1-3.
I'm in Baltimore County, north of Baltimore. Got an A, down 43%. You can even see the red / blue divide in state data.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:21 pm Trump thinks it’s almost time to go back to work. Dr Fauci is not present.

"Asked why Dr. Fauci isn't at today's briefing, Trump said, "He's not here because we weren't discussing what he's best at."
Fauci is best at mitigating infectious diseases, according to his credentials, and sits on the coronavirus task force."

If he proceeds in contradiction to the scientists, we'd all better buckle up and hope they don't quit in opposition to opening up the economy sooner than we should.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/ind ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

"It Wasn’t Just Trump Who Got It Wrong"

Excellent article in the Atlantic about how the failure to take coronavirus seriously was widespread in the media and at all levels of American society:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... se/608596/
Last edited by CU77 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Kismet wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/ind ... index.html
Hope they have enough toilet paper...

Only dopey Americans would make a run on TP.
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:21 pm Jack Allard, Bates '16, 2x AA - http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/24/jac ... ronavirus/

Soon, very soon, the american arrogance (the "Yeah, but those are Italians. We're Americans!" mentality) will be swept off the table. And the arrogance of quite possibly the most arrogant person in all of america will be looked at very differently. People, especially in NYC, are not going back to work next week.
Please take care everyone.
Thanks for posting that. It’s sobering.
Very sad to hear. Shows even “low risk” individuals are susceptible to life-threatening illnesses from the coronavirus. The proposed plans from the Trump administration and other conservatives for allowing “low risk” individuals to resume their “normal lives” are foolish and may put numerous young individuals at risk, needless to mention older individuals who may come into contact with them.

DocBarrister :|
Last edited by DocBarrister on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:52 pm
Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 am Cuomo talks a lot of sense. Battle the foe where it is. Move and adapt. As soon as safe send recovered workers and the young back to work. We can do both jobs, but first job is hospital capacity. Fema sent 4000 respirators. He needs 30 k.
In 2015 NYS and King Andy were advised that the state was short 16,000 ventilators. They chose to kick the can down the road. Today it has come back to bite King Andy. He is doing a great job handling the crisis that he helped to make worse. To be fair, no state government heeded the warnings. The federal government is just as guilty. Now the whole country is in a mad scramble to catch up.
King Andy has a lot of followers, outside of NYS. I've been impressed so far.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:52 pm To be fair, no state government heeded the warnings. The federal government is just as guilty. Now the whole country is in a mad scramble to catch up.
Yep. Plenty of blame to go around.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pmShows even “low risk” individuals are susceptible to life-threatening illnesses from the coronavirus...
For what it's worth, apparently, he was tested and this first test was lost. Just negligence. Was in limbo for 5 days. doesn't change your above statement and... just another piece of this puzzle.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm Indeed. I just would hope that a media organization purporting to be about truth would fight back against the right wing mob when it comes baying (as it always does).

Fixed it for you. You claim to be non-partisan. You're telling me that you have never heard Rush Limbaugh, or enjoyed FoxNation's nonsense?

I stupidly thought---for about a week----that FoxNation would be all over Trump, because few things he does are based on conservative principles.

Boy was I wrong.

Rush, Hannity, and FoxNation have showed us that they aren't conservative. They're Republicans. And all they want is for the 1%er multinational corporate party to continue on the backs of Americans. Just like the Clinton-Corporate-Dems.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Julius Sharpe on Twitter...

Idea for @realDonaldTrump:
1) Bail out cruise industry
2) Put all the people who think we shouldn’t quarantine on these cruises
3) See what happens!
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:47 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm Indeed. I just would hope that a media organization purporting to be about truth would fight back against the right wing mob when it comes baying (as it always does).

Fixed it for you. You claim to be non-partisan. You're telling me that you have never heard Rush Limbaugh, or enjoyed FoxNation's nonsense?

I stupidly thought---for about a week----that FoxNation would be all over Trump, because few things he does are based on conservative principles.

Boy was I wrong.

Rush, Hannity, and FoxNation have showed us that they aren't conservative. They're Republicans. And all they want is for the 1%er multinational corporate party to continue on the backs of Americans. Just like the Clinton-Corporate-Dems.
And it today's interview of Trump et al that appeared on Fox News, this developing idea of restarting everything by about Easter was basically unchallenged by someone (Hemmer) who is supposed to be a hard news guy, not a Sean Hannity.

NY State expects their peak time (infections/hospitalizations) to be right at about Easter, and most of the rest of the country should be a week to three behind that. Back off the social distancing/shutdowns then is a great recipe to just allow the virus to take right off again, and the result would likely mean the deaths of extra millions perhaps.
Last edited by RedFromMI on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 pmShows even “low risk” individuals are susceptible to life-threatening illnesses from the coronavirus...
For what it's worth, apparently, he was tested and this first test was lost. Just negligence. Was in limbo for 5 days. doesn't change your above statement and... just another piece of this puzzle.
My next door neighbor’s colleague had his test lost. He had to be re-tested. Just got off the phone with a client in LA. Pretty sure his wife had it as she lost her sense of taste and smell for about 3 days.
“I wish you would!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Boy was I wrong.

And it today's interview of Trump et al that appeared on Fox News, this developing idea of restarting everything by about Easter was basically unchallenged by someone (Hemmer) who is supposed to be a hard news guy, not a Sean Hannity.

NY State expects their peak time (infections/hospitalizations) to be right at about Easter, and most of the rest of the country should be a week to three behind that. Back off the social distancing/shutdowns then is a great recipe to just allow the virus to take right off again, and the result would likely mean the deaths of extra millions perhaps.
So Trump is saying there is a greater risk of death by depression by not opening vs death by virus by opening.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:09 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Boy was I wrong.

So Trump is saying there is a greater risk of death by depression by not opening vs death by virus by opening.
I would think that dying from coronavirus would be pretty depressing.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

From the VSG:

"A lot of people agree with me. Our country is not built to built to shut down. Our people are full of vim and vigor and energy. They don't want to be locked into a house or an apartment, it's not for our country."

He's as good as killing people with this stuff. He said it's OK to go back to work because a lot of people die from the flu and car accidents.
Last edited by seacoaster on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/bill-ga ... tdown.html

Bill Gates says we missed our chance, now must endure the shutdown.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “POLITICS”