All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

a fan

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am
6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 am
6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 am
Any company that wants to keep their employees and pay their bills. And will pay it back
Right. So if you're a small business, and have no assets, as is the case with most restaurants.....how do you get that loan?

You can't get it. Know how I know this? I have restaurant owner friends------big ones-----who have applied. And even if you can somehow get the money, now you're in massive debt when you were just fine a few weeks ago.

And you're going to open your business in the worst recession we have ever seen.

Sense the problem now?
Best we all close up and die then.
No. Best we work on a bill that helps everyone. And don't even try and act like you don't agree-----you're just arguing to argue.
Are you certain of this?
If they don't do A LOT more than the bill as of last night? Without question. People are forgetting our biggest trading partners are going into shutdown, too. Demand off a cliff.

And if it helps 6ft to cut through the partisan stuff-----every criticism I just made applies to Pelosi's House bill.

But they're changing the bill. So let's see if they changed it materially.
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am
6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 am
6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:51 am
Any company that wants to keep their employees and pay their bills. And will pay it back
Right. So if you're a small business, and have no assets, as is the case with most restaurants.....how do you get that loan?

You can't get it. Know how I know this? I have restaurant owner friends------big ones-----who have applied. And even if you can somehow get the money, now you're in massive debt when you were just fine a few weeks ago.

And you're going to open your business in the worst recession we have ever seen.

Sense the problem now?
Best we all close up and die then.
No. Best we work on a bill that helps everyone. And don't even try and act like you don't agree-----you're just arguing to argue.
Are you certain of this?
If they don't do A LOT more than the bill as of last night? Without question. People are forgetting our biggest trading partners are going into shutdown, too. Demand off a cliff.

And if it helps 6ft to cut through the partisan stuff-----every criticism I just made applies to Pelosi's House bill.

But they're changing the bill. So let's see if they changed it materially.
Remember that Pelosi's bill was nothing that they expected to get passed, but rather a messaging bill to McConnell after Moscow Mitch went back on things that the Senate Ds had expected to be part of the Senate bill. And the threat to Mitch was that Pelosi could start the process to pass her bill in the House...

But because time is of the essence here, it served its purpose: to get the Senate Rs to start compromising with the other side. My current Twitter feed at noon EDT is saying they are close (Shumer: 2 yard line).
Last edited by RedFromMI on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Love the recorded Trump comment I just saw: "I'll be the oversight, we'll make really good deals". 6ft and Peter Brown, does this sound like a good idea to you guys? Just curious. I'm worried it might just be my TDS keeping me from being more enthusiastic about Trump's proposal.
Last edited by calourie on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 amYou're making us all dumber with these ridiculous ideas of yours.
BOY HOWDY. Except that we get to see the Trumpist Lizard Brain in do its thing. Like being in a zoo. That stuff works out (well, it did in 2016) in fly-over country, but in here, not so much...

Thankfully...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
njbill

Post by njbill »

The 70 year old Texas lieutenant governor says senior citizens should sacrifice themselves for the good of the country.

It was encouraging to hear him say that if he gets sick, he won’t go to the hospital so he won’t take up a hospital bed or a ventilator that might otherwise be available for those who don’t share his view. Oh, wait, he didn’t commit to that?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tex ... 31075.html
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Here Are The Pundits And Pols Willing To Trade COVID-19 Deaths For Economic Gains

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pund ... distancing
For weeks, as the novel coronavirus has spread across the globe and infected hundreds of thousands of people, there have been the skeptics — those who say “social distancing,” while proven to slow the spread of COVID-19 and save lives, isn’t worth the economic cost.

President Donald Trump has leaned into that view lately, becoming its most high-profile proponent. “We’re not going to let the cure be worse than the problem,” he said at a press briefing Monday. Later, referring to social distancing, he added that there would be “probably more death from that than anything we’re talking about with respect to the virus.”

But pundits and politicians prioritizing the tanking market over pandemic response is a weeks-old custom by now.

The notion was perhaps first articulated for a mass audience in the United States by Rick Santelli, the CNBC pundit who also infamously declared the start of a new “Tea Party” on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange in 2009.

“Maybe we’d be just better off if we gave it to everybody and then in a month it would be over,” Santelli said on-air on March 6. “Because the mortality rate of this probably isn’t going to be any different if we did it that way than the long-term picture, but the difference is we’re wreaking havoc on global and domestic economies.”

In reality, there’s a huge difference: If cases spike all at once, hospitals will be completely overwhelmed, leading to mass death that could otherwise be avoided if cases spread slowly, allowing hospitals to keep up with the disease.
Several contrarians listed here...
Last edited by RedFromMI on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

calourie wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:08 pm Love the recorded Trump comment I just saw: "I'll be the oversight, we'll make really good deals". 6ft and Peter Brown, does this sound like a good idea to you guys? Just curious. I'm worried it might just be my TDS keeping me from being more enthusiastic about Trump's proposal.

You have me confused for someone else. But as importantly, TDS causes you to think anyone who doesn't regurgitate 'Orange Man Bad' 24-7 is a Trumper, to you anyway.

Quick refresher: I think the worst president in my lifetime is and will always be GWB (R). His dad (R) wasn't much better. I think the best one was Bill Clinton (D). I like Joe Biden (D). I think Dick Cheney (R) is a flaming you know what. Obama (D) is a class act and I like him and his family a great deal. Trump (R) has his good points and he has his bad points. I fundamentally objected to Hillary Clinton (D).

As to your broader implication: shockingly, I do not think Trump will steal the money and place it in his personal checking account.

Any other questions?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Jack Allard, Bates '16, 2x AA - http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/24/jac ... ronavirus/

Soon, very soon, the american arrogance (the "Yeah, but those are Italians. We're Americans!" mentality) will be swept off the table. And the arrogance of quite possibly the most arrogant person in all of america will be looked at very differently. People, especially in NYC, are not going back to work next week.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:12 pm The 70 year old Texas lieutenant governor says senior citizens should sacrifice themselves for the good of the country.

It was encouraging to hear him say that if he gets sick, he won’t go to the hospital so he won’t take up a hospital bed or a ventilator that might otherwise be available for those who don’t share his view. Oh, wait, he didn’t commit to that?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tex ... 31075.html
Yup. Look don't you want a job to kill you? What kind of American are you? :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:21 pm Jack Allard, Bates '16, 2x AA - http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/24/jac ... ronavirus/

Soon, very soon, the american arrogance (the "Yeah, but those are Italians. We're Americans!" mentality) will be swept off the table. And the arrogance of quite possibly the most arrogant person in all of america will be looked at very differently. People, especially in NYC, are not going back to work next week.
Please take care everyone.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 am What I care about is the impulse to cave in to the Left on matters of speech or publication, where the Left objects to speech or publication particularly after publication or after an invitation is tendered. If you’re a publisher and you’re inclined to retract publication after external pressure, perhaps you should simply decline all independent thought going forward, and make that known to all. That way, no one will read your publication and you will have saved us all the trouble for having believed you run an honest media organization.
Spoken like someone who doesn't own a publication. This is a free country. If you own a press, you can do anything you damn well please. Full stop.

Indeed. I just would hope that a media organization purporting to be about truth would fight back against the left mob when it comes baying (as it always does).

I mean, what will we do now about MIT?!? Those rat bast@rds in Boston had the walnuts to publish a study that supports that heretic Ginn's contention that warmer weather was likely to slow the spread of the virus. Playing by the new rules, JHU72, DoocB, Seacoaster, you will slay them online and demand their research facility should be shut down, right?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... ronavirus/
Last edited by Peter Brown on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

US passed the 600 deaths mark. 1000 probably less than a week away. Don't worry its just a librul media hoax.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm US passed the 600 deaths mark. 1000 probably less than a week away. Don't worry its just a librul media hoax.

If only you'd spend more time denying thoughtful papers to be published, cause you don't like their summary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/heal ... virus.html
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:21 pm Jack Allard, Bates '16, 2x AA - http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/03/24/jac ... ronavirus/

A "compassionate care" exemption. Sad.
Last edited by jhu72 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some thoughts from what I'm noticing in Brooklyn.

Streets are pretty empty and people out for walks give each other a wide berth. There have been a TON of ambulances, sirens blaring but driving speed limit or slower, that have gone down my street the past three days. I work from home quite often and it's been a huge deviation from the norm. My assumption is that it's Covid related.

I see one huge potential powder keg not too far from where I live. The Hasidic community in Williamsburg has been hit really hard, and that neighborhood buts up against a large amount of section 8 housing projects in Bed Stuy. A lot of older people/people with health issues in those buildings. The people that occupy those two areas generally don't have much interaction, and they stay on their respective sides of Flushing Avenue, but if the virus crosses the street...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Thanks for posting that. It’s sobering.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 am What I care about is the impulse to cave in to the Left on matters of speech or publication, where the Left objects to speech or publication particularly after publication or after an invitation is tendered. If you’re a publisher and you’re inclined to retract publication after external pressure, perhaps you should simply decline all independent thought going forward, and make that known to all. That way, no one will read your publication and you will have saved us all the trouble for having believed you run an honest media organization.
Spoken like someone who doesn't own a publication. This is a free country. If you own a press, you can do anything you damn well please. Full stop.

Indeed. I just would hope that a media organization purporting to be about truth would fight back against the left mob when it comes baying (as it always does).

I mean, what will we do now about MIT?!? Those rat bast@rds in Boston had the walnuts to publish a study that supports that heretic Ginn's contention that warmer weather was likely to slow the spread of the virus. Playing by the new rules, JHU72, DoocB, Seacoaster, you will slay them online and demand their research facility should be shut down, right?

Their model will be tested as more and more equitorial countries become infected. I noticed a big spike in South American countries recently. I certainly hope they are right.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:24 am Cuomo talks a lot of sense. Battle the foe where it is. Move and adapt. As soon as safe send recovered workers and the young back to work. We can do both jobs, but first job is hospital capacity. Fema sent 4000 respirators. He needs 30 k.
In 2015 NYS and King Andy were advised that the state was short 16,000 ventilators. They chose to kick the can down the road. Today it has come back to bite King Andy. He is doing a great job handling the crisis that he helped to make worse. To be fair, no state government heeded the warnings. The federal government is just as guilty. Now the whole country is in a mad scramble to catch up.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Maybe a bit big brother, but data we (as a people) are already giving up to apps on our phones can be used to calculate how well we are doing in social distancing by measuring the drop in travel on average per phone tracked (can get a letter grade for each county in US):

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social- ... scoreboard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bart wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:47 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Their model will be tested as more and more equitorial countries become infected. I noticed a big spike in South American countries recently. I certainly hope they are right.

There is some sense to this and not unknown in virology. Commented on this last week. Same as 1918 Spanish Flu. Sets us up for the same "killing fields" in the fall if we behave stupidly. This is not a case of "it goes away in April" as someone said.

Return to “POLITICS”