Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:52 pm I will bow down to you as my daddy
This thread is getting weird, even by its normally very weird standards.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:52 pm I will bow down to you as my daddy
This thread is getting weird, even by its normally very weird standards.
Agreed. I’m not his Catholic priest.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

If DP retires or resigns it Will be interesting to see what develops with a replacement. IMO Hopkins has lost a lot of its luster as an employer. As I have said before the game and institution have changed. A robust salary will lure some and I expect some will think it will be different fir them. If I was considering applying there are questions I would want answered to my satisfaction. Most would center on ok you are offering a great salary and want me to restore former glory; my questions center on what are you going to do to support that effort?

Geneva asked about teaching liberal arts. At the macro level Hopkins has had some of the best departments in the nation in many of them. At the micro level there are those who never bothered with them as he has discovered. Self indulgence and grievances.

There is one very prominent pol who says something nasty and when called on it has a defense it was only a joke or only sarcasm or taken out of context etc.

There seems to sometimes be a double standard. You can say the most outrageous things about a program or coach but then can’t stand being the subject of similar behavior. Ironic
viper

Post by viper »

LRoggy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:19 pm Something for the Raymond to JHU believers to ponder. $200k buys a lot of house and land in the Geneva area.
Being a Hudson Valley transplant to the Baltimore burbs - I think it all depends on how he feels about snow :D
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Significant loss for Penn State as Ament is moving on.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rse-/56200
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:34 am Significant loss for Penn State as Ament is moving on.

Not surprising he was a 5th year this past year. 6 years in college is a lot.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:29 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:34 am Significant loss for Penn State as Ament is moving on.

Not surprising he was a 5th year this past year. 6 years in college is a lot.
Tremendous career; best to him in future endeavors!
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

viper wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am
LRoggy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:19 pm Something for the Raymond to JHU believers to ponder. $200k buys a lot of house and land in the Geneva area.
Being a Hudson Valley transplant to the Baltimore burbs - I think it all depends on how he feels about snow :D
He grew up in Corning
viper

Post by viper »

LRoggy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm
viper wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am
He grew up in Corning
Not quite as far west and north, but still lot's of snow and couldn't wait to leave. No offense, just not my cup of tea.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

This is good. I think laxreference is headed toward doing this:

D1 simulated ice hockey bracketology:

https://www.uscho.com/2020/03/22/bracke ... ournament/

Also recommend following laxreference’s simulated games.

He had Hopkins losing at Navy, 11-5.

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... _20200314/

I’m a bit suspicious of the faceoff winning percentage, but I haven’t checked how Navy’s FOGOs might have matched up against Prouty.

The 45% save percentage sounds about right though.

Anyway, if you miss the games, no, this isn’t real, but it is an interesting alternative while the National Guard rolls out.
Last edited by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Has Hopkins losing to Delaware too, 14-9. That would make Hopkins 2-6.

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... _20200317/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The faceoffs in that simulation are clearly broken, which throws the entire thing off. Delaware was 40% as a team facing off on the season. We were at 59%.

Re: Ament—while his situation was a bit different (next year would have been his 6th in college) I do think that, even if players are given a full season of eligibility back (still not a guarantee, from what I'm hearing), then there still won't be quite as many guys returning as many assume there will be. I don't think it's going to be a huge factor for the upcoming season. When it will really start to matter is the following year IMO.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Pat Foley was signed by the new PLL team, the Waterdogs.

https://twitter.com/PLLWaterdogs/status ... 7841153024

He joins Rabil, Harrison, Brown, Durkin, Tinney, Crawley, and Ranagan as former Jays in the league. I believe that Maryland and Duke are the only college teams with more alumni playing.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:20 am The faceoffs in that simulation are clearly broken, which throws the entire thing off. Delaware was 40% as a team facing off on the season. We were at 59%.

Re: Ament—while his situation was a bit different (next year would have been his 6th in college) I do think that, even if players are given a full season of eligibility back (still not a guarantee, from what I'm hearing), then there still won't be quite as many guys returning as many assume there will be. I don't think it's going to be a huge factor for the upcoming season. When it will really start to matter is the following year IMO.
I get the srs but I don't get the 3 subsequent classes getting an extra of eligibility. It's about the education not the game.
molo

Post by molo »

Weird is an understatement. While I don't agree with those who think Hopkins will have a new coach next year, I understand their frustration over the state of the program in recent years, but some of the projected choices are beyond weird: a former player from another school who has never coached a minute of mens' college lax? A former Hopkins player who has had a modicum of success at a former DIII powerhouse that has yet to replicate it a the DI level who probably would not relish returning to Baltimore? A former coach who experienced early success before being shown the gate at an age that would mark the prime of most coaches' careers? Quite curious!
Homer

Post by Homer »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm Weird is an understatement. While I don't agree with those who think Hopkins will have a new coach next year, I understand their frustration over the state of the program in recent years, but some of the projected choices are beyond weird: a former player from another school who has never coached a minute of mens' college lax? A former Hopkins player who has had a modicum of success at a former DIII powerhouse that has yet to replicate it a the DI level who probably would not relish returning to Baltimore? A former coach who experienced early success before being shown the gate at an age that would mark the prime of most coaches' careers? Quite curious!
"No, really, the Hop thread is a picture of rationality and sound mental health" is not generally the hill I'd choose to die on. That said, there's one or two things in this post I'd want to push back on.

molo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm some of the projected choices are beyond weird
Everything that's been said about possible coaching candidates on this thread needs to be understood in the context of the fact that the consensus #1 candidate is not actually being discussed. The obvious, default betting favorite is Shawn Nadelen. That's been the case since 2017, when Towson's making the FF coincided with the most abjectly embarrassing of Hopkins' late-season collapses. People stopped talking about it because (a) it got too boring to keep repeating the same cliche without having any actual info regarding Nadelen's interest in the job, and (b) Nadelen was somewhat awkwardly having his worst-ever season at Towson over the first weeks of 2020.

What you're seeing now is sort of like the dynamic in the NFL draft when the presumptive #1 is known months in advance, but the press runs out of stuff to write and starts trying to create some buzz around some other randos because then at least there's something to talk about.

molo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm a former player from another school who has never coached a minute of mens' college lax?
Assuming this is a reference to Steele: D1 lacrosse staffs are not big. AFAIK, nearly all first-time coordinators were previously either (a) volunteer assistants or (b) never coached a minute of mens' college lax. Which seems to you like a more compelling resume for a first-time mlax coordinator: (a) being a volunteer assistant; or (b) being a very successful wlax coordinator for 7 years?

molo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm A former Hopkins player who has had a modicum of success at a former DIII powerhouse that has yet to replicate it a the DI level who probably would not relish returning to Baltimore?
I think you're underbilling Raymond here a bit. He's won pretty consistently at a place that's regarded as tough to win at, he seems to be well-respected in the profession, and he's in the wheelhouse age- and career-arc-wise.

molo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:08 pm A former coach who experienced early success before being shown the gate at an age that would mark the prime of most coaches' careers? Quite curious!
It may well be my failing, but I legitimately have no idea who you're talking about here. Care to elaborate?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Ricky Sowell could be had if you can lure him away from Gilman.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Not sure that's who the Jays need, nor is he the answer...
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

Most of this talk about who would be the 2021 coach (assuming it isn't DP) seems to be predicated on a misguided assumption, to wit, that the current admin actually cares whether or not the team does well.

Give his history, I would guess that he does not. And he would almost certainly prefer that the next HC be someone with zero prior affiliation with the program, i.e. someone completely beholden to RD.

As for possible outcry from the alums? RD (aka the little s*ht) has a constituency of one. If that guy called up and said "Hopkins should go D3 in all sports," it would be done the next day. For better or for worse, Johns Hopkins may have founded the institution but it's no longer JHU, it's really MBU.

Bottom line: IF DP is ousted the job goes outside the program, and very possibly to a D3 coach.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:21 am Give his history, I would guess that he does not. And he would almost certainly prefer that the next HC be someone with zero prior affiliation with the program, i.e. someone completely beholden to RD.
Is coronavirus giving everyone brainworms? What's going on?

If RD doesn't care one way or the other about the lacrosse program, it does not follow that he'd suddenly enforce these very strict rules about whom they can and cannot hire. He very likely doesn't care and would leave the decision to the AD, who may be new to the role but very much DOES care. With the help of a very active committee of alumni/advisors, she'd hire someone worthy of the job. If you think that if they wanted someone like Nadelen or Marr (or Chemotti or Wray or any one of a number of promising youngish D1 head coaches) RD would step in to say "NO you can't hire them you have to hire Joe Schmo from Algonquin College," you are completely delusional.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”