All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

old salt

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:52 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm 3) have the humility to listen to others.
:roll:

You didn't answer my question about the plane.
Nothing new....
Yes he did. You just don't understand the subject matter sufficiently to understand it.
old salt

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:13 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:59 pm If she were Trump, you'd be ...
I request that you respond to things actually said, not fake things that you made up.
Request denied. I was replying to a comparison of Merkel & Trump.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:41 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:24 pm using your logic, e-v-e-r-y leader in the world has the same darned problem.....and you sit back and criticize only one man.
Every leader has the same PROBLEM, but not every leader has the same SOLUTIONS.

Look at Germany, a country with leaders who know what they're doing. 10,000 ventilators being manufactured NOW, in Germany, to add to the existing 25,000. No shortage of tests. No shortage of PPE. New emergency hospitals being built NOW. The Germans know how to do public / private / union partnerships that take care of everybody.

The man we criticize is OUR leader. Want me to criticize Xi of China? Or the prime minister of Italy, whose name I don't remember off hand? Why?

Trump is OUR GUY. If he f***s up royally, which he has, it our RIGHT and DUTY as AMERICAN CITIZENS to criticize him.

Surely you agree with that.
It could also be that Germany already had the manufacturing capability for ventilators. They just needed to add another shift in existing plants.
They already export significant amounts of pharma & medical supplies. They have a much greater production capacity/ per capita, than does the US.
S Korea similarly.
Come on Salty, those euroburgers are thumping us?

No, we didn't act 6 weeks ago...still haven't pulled the trigger on nationalizing production and supply rationing of PPE's and ventilators.
Maybe that's about to happen tonight in response to the Gov's going on TV non-stop calling for it...apparently Trump needs to "hear" it. Fox has been running this message all day, too.
calourie

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by calourie »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 pm Forgive the potentially mysoginistic comment but looks like a sausage party to me. Hard pass when the ratio gets above 4:1 for me (and I’m married).
Let's not jump to conclusions. Boat ownership tends to be more of a "guy" thing to begin with.

Apropos: from one of their amusing if useless posts, Yahoo had a post on humorous names for pleasure boats which included:

"She Got the House"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We are getting so stir crazy from this we are seeing women in bikinis. Is that a symptom?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

good lord, the butthead led with "Chinese virus" and now happy talk. Jesus.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:49 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:24 pm using your logic, e-v-e-r-y leader in the world has the same darned problem.....and you sit back and criticize only one man.

Look at Germany, a country with leaders who know what they're doing. 10,000 ventilators being manufactured NOW, in Germany, to add to the existing 25,000. No shortage of tests. No shortage of PPE. New emergency hospitals being built NOW. The Germans know how to do public / private / union partnerships that take care of everybody.

The man we criticize is OUR leader. Want me to criticize Xi of China? Or the prime minister of Italy, whose name I don't remember off hand? Why?

Trump is OUR GUY. If he f***s up royally, which he has, it our RIGHT and DUTY as AMERICAN CITIZENS to criticize him.

It could also be that Germany already had the manufacturing capability for ventilators. They just needed to add another shift in existing plants.
They already export significant amounts of pharma & medical supplies. They have a much greater production capacity/ per capita, than does the US.
S Korea similarly.

No, we didn't act 6 weeks ago...still haven't pulled the trigger on nationalizing production and supply rationing of PPE's and ventilators.
Maybe that's about to happen tonight in response to the Gov's going on TV non-stop calling for it...apparently Trump needs to "hear" it. Fox has been running this message all day, too.
The Germans yes. Their EU partners, not so much, ...& not just Italy, e.g. Spain, France, Netherlands & UK.
FEMA is targeting the Fed reserves of PPE to the most urgent hot spots.
Do state & local govts maintain emerg reserve PPE, or require their hospitals to do so,
or do they cut costs by relying on just in time supply ?
Is the WH in charge of prep for every state & local govt ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:03 pm

S Korea similarly.

The Germans yes. Their EU partners, not so much, ...& not just Italy, e.g. Spain, France, Netherlands & UK.
Do state & local govts maintain emerg reserve PPE, or require their hospitals to do so,
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2180JU

In Germany, where hospitals had about 20,000 ventilators before the outbreak, the government has placed an order for 10,000 machines from Draegerwerk – the equivalent to a year’s normal production at the company.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:26 pm
It apparently is okay for the people of New York as a trial, to begin on Tuesday....according to Cuomo. Is this quackery as well Doc?
The docs are (and should) be furiously throwing existing drugs at the wall to see if anything sticks. Trying off-label prescriptions and warp speed trials.

Even if HCQ/AZ turns out to be useful in some way, you still have to figure out how to use it. Is it a treatment primarily for healthy asymptomatic folks? Or for high risk folks with already serious symptoms? Is it a treatment or a prophyliaxis? What's the best dose and protocol?

Trump highlighted the fact that 6 of 6 (100%!!!) getting the HCQ/AZ treatment were virus free after 5 days. Good result as compared to the 14-21 day peiod generally. But doesn't mention that six patients dropped out of the treatment group: 3 went to the ICU, one dropped out due to nausea, one left the hospital (maybe recovered?) and one DIED. Just a lot of questions to be answered.

Could be that HCQ/AZ works best in a situation like the actor had -- early detection (which requires ample testing), healthy individual (who would likely get better anyway), early intervention (no or mild symptoms).

So pretty useless unless/until you get testing ramped up.

Fingers crossed.
Correct. Never was a 100% effective rate more like 37.5% effective rate on very low statistics. Just more Trumpnista lies. Do a real clinical trial, run by someone who knows how such is done. A bozo politician sticking one finger in the air while another in his ass and pronouncing it all good doesn't cut it. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:26 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:22 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:16 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:57 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:48 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 pm 3) have the humility to listen to others.
:roll:

You didn't answer my question about the plane.

Maintenance/Engineering: every aspect of work performed in this regard is signed off multiple times by line managers or senior engineers. This redundant QC process is a direct result of not trusting one person to be THE expert. Everything is team-oriented and team-produced.

Pilots: the best pilot can no longer compete with auto-pilot. And that capability spread grows wider every day. Reason? Because an auto pilot system can simultaneously and with no failure rate calculate hundreds of variable inputs. Humans can not. (Cirrus’ Vision Jet now has a Safe Return Burton that anyone reading this can push and the plane will land itself safely every time, no pilot necessary).

Aviation is probably the most glaring industry example of why ‘expertise’ is easily debunked. Not one person can be ‘expert’ at such a complex system. The system is the expert.
Auto pilot is great until a pitot tube freezes up and the auto pilot disengages at an inopportune time because it can’t handle the conflicting data.

I used to do a lot of aviation litigation. Learned the same thing as I did in medicine: small failures can have catastrophic results.

Whether it’s a microscopic arterial plaque triggering a fatal thrombotic cascade or a small switch failure causing a helicopter to literally slice itself in half, complex systems can be brought down by the smallest things.

Coronavirus is just a different variant of that.

DocBarrister

You can also drown in a sink if you’re not too careful. :roll:

The odds of dying in air and space transport incidents, which include private flights and air taxis, are 1 in 11,000 and trending wider every year. That’s almost four times better chances than you meeting your fate by choking on food.
Are we supposed to trust you because you have some domain knowledge, or is it cool if I double check your information with a German philosophy professor at Emory who lives down the block to confirm or reject your expertise?

If only you were making the point you think you’re making. Unfortunately, I’d be the first to tell you to get a second or third or fourth opinion. I may think I know what I know, but more importantly, I know enough to always doubt myself. You shouldn’t reflexively believe my defense of my industry. I’m invested in the outcome.
Honest answer. But should those double checks be with a plumber, a doctor, a taxi driver etc... or should we look to those with actual expertise in aviation, better yet those with specialized knowledge in the specific area of aviation relevant to the particular question?

Seems obvious to me.

This kind of goes to how this debate started. I read an article written by a data nerd and found it compelling. The author began his article stating he was not an epidemiologist, but rather a quant guy who studied numbers. His summary suggested that we as a society are overreacting to COVID-19 and potentially causing more harm in our reactions. The Left proceeded to deplatform this anti Trumper off Medium because they didn’t like his summary, even though he had valid points to make which are thought provoking.

If you needed a second opinion how to repair a jet engine, of course you’re going to ask A&P mechanics, many of them as you need multiple opinions on such a complex assignment. But if you’re asking “is aviation safe?”, the respondent needn’t ever have flown once to be able to point you to data suggesting it is.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Okeechobee County Commissioner Bryant Culpepper at emergency meeting says you can kill coronavirus by holding a blow dryer up to your nose after he saw it on “reliable source” OANN, warns “there’s a lot of baloney out there on social media”

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/ ... 1343447040
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:21 pm Rand Paul, a doctor, goes to the last open gym in DC while waiting for his results.
Pretty amazing, even for Rand.
Libertarian. Doesn't surprise me even a little bit. :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

S Korea similarly.

No one has PPE in these quantities, though we do maintain national strategic reserves.

Yes, the escalation of production and the distribution of that production should be done nationally...in a national emergency much less a global pandemic.

It's obvious.

They're Bs'ing about "federalism" right now...just brutally awful management. Happy talk stupidity.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:00 pm good lord, the butthead led with "Chinese virus"
I hope the negative branding does not impact your family business opportunities.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

3M shipped 500,000 N95 masks today to New York and Washington. They’ve ramped production to 35,000,000 per month just for the United states. They’re going to 2 billion globally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ronavirus/

These are pure data points which are going to be replicated soon with all products and services, which will slow the spread and keep folks safe. I’m optimistic. Markets always work when you don’t crush the profit motive.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm

S Korea similarly.

No one has PPE in these quantities, though we do maintain national strategic reserves.

Yes, the escalation of production and the distribution of that production should be done nationally...in a national emergency much less a global pandemic.

It's obvious.

They're Bs'ing about "federalism" right now...just brutally awful management. Happy talk stupidity.

Interesting document from back in 2007. So when Trump says administrations before him did not heed the advice....well....he is not lying.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Annnnnd.......just like that, this is how it all can start... https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/stat ... 68417?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:35 pm 3M shipped 500,000 N95 masks today to New York and Washington. They’ve ramped production to 35,000,000 per month just for the United states. They’re going to 2 billion globally.

These are pure data points which are going to be replicated soon with all products and services, which will slow the spread and keep folks safe. I’m optimistic. Markets always work when you don’t crush the profit motive.
Not going to be that easy with ventilators.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:35 pm 3M shipped 500,000 N95 masks today to New York and Washington. They’ve ramped production to 35,000,000 per month just for the United states. They’re going to 2 billion globally.

The “markets” would have allowed a million Americans to die.

The people who are dying are largely the least economically productive in society ... senior citizens and those with serious medical problems. The “markets” would almost certainly view these relatively unproductive “economic units” as expendable.

Only government stands between us and the callous barbarism of the “markets”.

It is worth remembering that what we generally refer to as the “markets” in reality and all practicality reflects what we used to know as the aristocracy ... the business and property elite. The government in a democracy like ours is, for all its flaws, a representation of the people ... or the peasantry in ye days of olde.

There is no way we peasants should defer to the asinine aristocracy in a crisis like this.*

That is all.

DocBarrister

*Problem is, of course, that our federal government is currently run by an asinine aristocrat.
@DocBarrister
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

How does Trump.Org plan to get relief money to their undocumented employees?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “POLITICS”