All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Peter Brown

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Peter Brown »

There is an actor called Daniel Dae Kim who recently came down with Covid-19. He was symptomatic, though not in ICU.

He has posted a video on his Instagram that I would suggest real doctors here and elsewhere listen to. He is not, as you can tell, a hysteric.

https://www.instagram.com/danieldaekim/?hl=en

His doctors in Hawaii prescribed him 4 medications, and he is nearly fully recovered.

1. Tamiflu

2. Z-Pak

3. An inhaler to help breathe

4. Hydroxychloroquine (what he calls the "secret weapon")

This is, as you likely know, the drug that Trump has been promoting, to some consternation primarily by the media and the Left. Kim clearly is no Trumper...I am fairly sure if you scan his social media he in fact is a Democrat.

Not to beat a dead horse, but perhaps Trump is not this 'always-bad' guy many of you make him out to be. I think without question he is an un-empathetic human being, making him somewhat wrong for this moment. But in the end, it could be that he is proven correct on this call. If I were a never-Trumper or TDS type, I'd pump the brakes on hating on him. He just might be proven correct on this call.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:07 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:38 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm Moron Trump lover Ron DeSantis has finally closed Florida but Republicans should know he’s sending those hungover Spring Break kids back to every state in the US. My country is so broken.
Don't worry, those spring breakers have left lots of "presents" to be opened later, in Florida.
My mom and son are in Florida.
Sorry to hear it. East coast or west coast?

For the Left or Left-sympathizers on this board, does it ever strike you how expressly intolerant many on the Left are to those whom they do not agree with politically?

Here above, you have Trinity calling a Republican governor a "moron" (a governor supported by a significant % of the Democrats he governs), then JHU72 saying how 'sorry' he is that someone is in Florida (even though Florida has one of the best state economies in the United States and consistently ranks high on 'places to live' lists - out of curiosity, where is Maryland on that list?).

Were Florida to be governed today by Andrew Gillum (D), neither Trinity nor JHU72 would be expressing these sentiments, naturally; this example above merely points out hypocrisy and frankly, intellect (lack thereof). The Left sees most issues no matter how trivial through the prism of politics, which is highly regrettable. This is perhaps the most disturbing large trend in America today, the Left's intolerance of thought and speech, as intolerance historically has led to further intolerance. You wonder why gun rights are such a core right to some?

I've been rightly suspicious of the far Left in America and its embrace of totalitarianism, authoritarianism, and repression; no more so than now. I'd be curious to know how these people interact with average Americans in real life and not behind the safety of a keyboard. I know Ron DeSantis...he's not a weak physical guy. Would Trinity care to call Ron a moron to his face? (I must admit, FDLE would likely restrain if not arrest you as you said it, so Ron might not be free to reply as an average person on the street would should you simply call him a moron)
I thought you were a data driven guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can dispute the data all day long for all I care. What I heard from your fellow Left travelers here yesterday was this guy was a 'Lincoln Project' founder hence 'I won't read him'. (even though the Lincoln Project is an anti-Trump group...)

I read it; he makes perfectly good sense to me. I am sure, given how much he wrote, some of his data might be incorrect or even interpreted incorrectly. Honestly, that does little to move the needle to me. I am way more focused on intolerance of opinion, such as you constantly evidence here on these boards. I would be curious how you interact with people whose politics you are unaware of. Are you judgmental? Intolerant? Do you demand to know their views before having a discussion?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Somewhere north of 96% of cases recover, PB.

What caused them to recover, Tamiflu??? who knows...there's no clear data yet. No controlled tests.

Let's indeed pray that we can reduce the death rate with whatever cocktail of remedies that anyone can come up with. Absolutely.

Just don't blow smoke up our asses about what we don't know.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am
Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm Moron Trump lover Ron DeSantis has finally closed Florida but Republicans should know he’s sending those hungover Spring Break kids back to every state in the US. My country is so broken.
Don't worry, those spring breakers have left lots of "presents" to be opened later, in Florida.

For the Left or Left-sympathizers on this board, does it ever strike you how expressly intolerant many on the Left are to those whom they do not agree with politically?

Here above, you have Trinity calling a Republican governor a "moron" (a governor supported by a significant % of the Democrats he governs), then JHU72 saying how 'sorry' he is that someone is in Florida (even though Florida has one of the best state economies in the United States and consistently ranks high on 'places to live' lists - out of curiosity, where is Maryland on that list?).

Were Florida to be governed today by Andrew Gillum (D), neither Trinity nor JHU72 would be expressing these sentiments, naturally; this example above merely points out hypocrisy and frankly, intellect (lack thereof). The Left sees most issues no matter how trivial through the prism of politics, which is highly regrettable. This is perhaps the most disturbing large trend in America today, the Left's intolerance of thought and speech, as intolerance historically has led to further intolerance. You wonder why gun rights are such a core right to some?

I've been rightly suspicious of the far Left in America and its embrace of totalitarianism, authoritarianism, and repression; no more so than now. I'd be curious to know how these people interact with average Americans in real life and not behind the safety of a keyboard. I know Ron DeSantis...he's not a weak physical guy. Would Trinity care to call Ron a moron to his face? (I must admit, FDLE would likely restrain if not arrest you as you said it, so Ron might not be free to reply as an average person on the street would should you simply call him a moron)

You can dispute the data all day long for all I care. What I heard from your fellow Left travelers here yesterday was this guy was a 'Lincoln Project' founder hence 'I won't read him'. (even though the Lincoln Project is an anti-Trump group...)

I read it; he makes perfectly good sense to me. I am sure, given how much he wrote, some of his data might be incorrect or even interpreted incorrectly. Honestly, that does little to move the needle to me. I am way more focused on intolerance of opinion, such as you constantly evidence here on these boards. I would be curious how you interact with people whose politics you are unaware of. Are you judgmental? Intolerant? Do you demand to know their views before having a discussion?
Everyone has a right to an opinion, PB.
But it's flat stupid to believe inaccurate data and broken logic.

Is that too "judgmental"? "Intolerant"?
Tough.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:14 am There is an actor called Daniel Dae Kim who recently came down with Covid-19. He was symptomatic, though not in ICU.

He has posted a video on his Instagram that I would suggest real doctors here and elsewhere listen to. He is not, as you can tell, a hysteric.

His doctors in Hawaii prescribed him 4 medications, and he is nearly fully recovered.

1. Tamiflu

2. Z-Pak

This is, as you likely know, the drug that Trump has been promoting, to some consternation primarily by the media and the Left. Kim clearly is no Trumper...I am fairly sure if you scan his social media he in fact is a Democrat.

Not to beat a dead horse, but perhaps Trump is not this 'always-bad' guy many of you make him out to be. I think without question he is an un-empathetic human being, making him somewhat wrong for this moment. But in the end, it could be that he is proven correct on this call. If I were a never-Trumper or TDS type, I'd pump the brakes on hating on him. He just might be proven correct on this call.
To that point.

Not that long ago human beings were being crucified, beheaded and tortured barbarically by ISIS. Quietly and without fanfare the Trump defense department put together a coalition that decimated ISIS soldiers, wiped out their caliphate and strategically killed their leadership. We're not seeing prisoners getting roasted in cages. Allowed to drown held down by chains as the tide rose. Or beheaded in live network streams.

Just for humanities sake I personally give him some room for that undertaking. Most here don't. And they won't when this coronavirus crisis is over.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:14 am There is an actor called Daniel Dae Kim who recently came down with Covid-19. He was symptomatic, though not in ICU.

1. Tamiflu

2. Z-Pak

Not a physician, but I like his doctors prescription. The first one might help, won't hurt. The next two for sure good ideas. The last one, questionable at best as to whether it helps, probably won't hurt, although it does increase risk of some bad things that could happen. Placebo.

Why not throw in some Jim Bakker Silver Solution?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:16 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am In case anyone here is genuinely interested in original analysis, which btw would require you not bring any partisan angle to this issue (foreverlax convinced me yesterday that absolutely zero Democrats care much anymore about fact-gathering), I'd suggest taking the time to read the following, incredibly well-laid out, data-driven, debunking of the hysteria in this country over Covid-19. If you find anything wrong in this man's report, feel free to post. As far as I am concerned, he has the answer and we will be back to business within 2 months tops.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/ev ... 767def5894

Data is data. Our focus here isn’t treatments but numbers. You don’t need a special degree to understand what the data says and doesn’t say. Numbers are universal. I hope you walk away with a more informed perspective on how you can help and fight back against the hysteria that is driving our country into a dark place. You can help us focus our scarce resources on those who are most vulnerable, who need our help.
Remember this? Mr. Brown posted this 24 hours ago. Already removed from medium.com. This is what you see now at that link:
Error
This post is under investigation or was found in violation of the Medium Rules.
There are thousands of stories to read on Medium. Visit our homepage
to find one that’s right for you.
Take me to Medium
Turns out I was very gentle in my criticism of the author. On my Twitter feed someone who knows about epidemiology absolutely crucified the article for its contradictions within, and the almost too numerous to count errors in data assumptions and usage.

The real question is how long before Fox News and other conservative outlets that pushed this false narrative apologize for the error and emphasize it was junk science that is actually harmful in its inaccuracy. (My guess is never)

I think you left out the part why the post was removed. Liberals considered the post to be an assault on their preferred hysteria, so begat a coordinated online takedown of the post via medium’s twitter account. The response algorithm flagged it as ‘insensitive’ enough so it was removed from the original site. You can do this to any Medium post if enough ‘complaints’ flood the replies. It’s akin to flooding Yelp with bad reviews if you’re a competitor and want to go that way.

My first impulse when I read a liberal’s position on any matter if I do not agree is not to demand that it be removed. However, the left has determined that denial of information is their preferred method of debate. That’s the message here.

You can still read the post on other sites today; it’s nothing but data. Heck you can even disagree with the interpretation of the data! Amazing.

But the author’s principal conclusion is (brace yourself!!) America needs better information to allocate resources such as ventilators and masks. Omg. That is so offensive!

Lol; the left has indeed become parodies of totalitarianism
The author was peddling a line of bull. He had no idea of what he was writing about, and there is nobody with any epidemiological expertise who has said he is even close to the correct line of argument. That is enough to get rid of it.

If "liberals" got if off of medium it is because said liberals at least know to trust experts instead of some bro coder...who is way in front of his skis here. And the fact that you fell for it without actually checking out his conclusions with some real experts says something about your blinders.
njbill

Post by njbill »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am Why not throw in some Jim Bakker Silver Solution?
Don’t forget some Alex Jones toothpaste.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am

man, you're trying to pick a fight PB, is DeSantis a family member or something?
Now a physical violence kind of threat?

He blew the timing on this crisis and people will be dying because of it. Period, full stop.
Let's hope he does better going forward.

This absolutely has nothing to do with R or D.
There are Govs all over the country of both parties who are taking faster action, saving lives as a result.
Who gives a hoot what party they're a member of, it's what they do and say in this crisis that counts.

Actually Maryland is very high on most desirable places to live, very high in educational achievement rate, very high in income, 'land of pleasant living' as you well know. I grew up hunting, fishing, crabbing, sailing the Chesapeake. But, sure, when my dad and mom decided to live somewhere else during the winter months (and with us the remainder), pop convinced her to go to Florida (which she hated the idea of, all the uniformity). Two golf courses, on the river, Audubon award winning, etc, and not a heavy Balt cocktail party circuit, mostly midwesterners. Very happy answer. But note: They and nearly every other resident of their community made their money in a state other than Florida.

Of all people, I'd venture to state that you view a politician's party as much as anyone and especially the hard Left here. I don't read every post on Fanlax, but for sure I've yet to find a positive comment about any national Republican from you on these boards; feel free to show us one if this is incorrect. I do read a few posts of yours where you are quick to call people 'racist'. Apparently, now you believe you'd be a better governor than Ron DeSantis :lol:

Let's look closer to your home to see if you are in fact a partisan (or god forbid a racist). Baltimore has a 55.5/100,000 per capita murder rate, almost all deceased are African American; this is top-20 for murder per capita in the entire world of cities above 100,000 persons. The cities ahead of yours are uninhabitable for the most part (as is a good deal of Baltimore; I'd ask you to ask Alex Wroblewski if that's true, but...).

Have you on these boards ever bemoaned the current Mayor of Baltimore for his handling of the Baltimore African American murders? He's a Democrat, as they've all been. I'd think a per-capita murder rate such as Baltimore's would be a daily clarion call by its residents, such as you. I'd think. :?:

If you haven't posted about this Mayor and how indifferent he is to the murder rate, then (taking your philosophy straight from you) that would obviously be because (it must!) you're a "partisan" or a "racist" (as you've commonly called others here for issues not even having to do with race, though we can agree this murder rate issue could in fact possibly be a racial issue!).

If you do have a post dragging your Mayor here, then by all means I am corrected and you're neither racist nor partisan. But I am just not so sure! I mean, this is your online philosophy if I'm correct, throwing terms around like 'racist' and 'moron' with scant evidence when persons disagree with you.

I'd also be willing to bet you're quick with highly pejorative and judgmental terms on more issues than even these; sanctimony is easy to spot via someone's posts. How did you handle the UVA fraternity fake rape case? How about the Duke case? Did you say anything that you regret today?

Not trying to be hard on you, just pointing out that the rules you've set for yourself are possibly unattractive and worth taking the time to reflect on. Surely I am not the only reader here who finds a good deal of your writing to be judgmental and sanctimonious.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am In case anyone here is genuinely interested in original analysis, which btw would require you not bring any partisan angle to this issue (foreverlax convinced me yesterday that absolutely zero Democrats care much anymore about fact-gathering), I'd suggest taking the time to read the following, incredibly well-laid out, data-driven, debunking of the hysteria in this country over Covid-19. If you find anything wrong in this man's report, feel free to post. As far as I am concerned, he has the answer and we will be back to business within 2 months tops.

Data is data. Our focus here isn’t treatments but numbers. You don’t need a special degree to understand what the data says and doesn’t say. Numbers are universal. I hope you walk away with a more informed perspective on how you can help and fight back against the hysteria that is driving our country into a dark place. You can help us focus our scarce resources on those who are most vulnerable, who need our help.
Remember this? Mr. Brown posted this 24 hours ago. Already removed from medium.com. This is what you see now at that link:
Error
Take me to Medium
Turns out I was very gentle in my criticism of the author. On my Twitter feed someone who knows about epidemiology absolutely crucified the article for its contradictions within, and the almost too numerous to count errors in data assumptions and usage.

The real question is how long before Fox News and other conservative outlets that pushed this false narrative apologize for the error and emphasize it was junk science that is actually harmful in its inaccuracy. (My guess is never)

I think you left out the part why the post was removed. Liberals considered the post to be an assault on their preferred hysteria, so begat a coordinated online takedown of the post via medium’s twitter account. The response algorithm flagged it as ‘insensitive’ enough so it was removed from the original site. You can do this to any Medium post if enough ‘complaints’ flood the replies. It’s akin to flooding Yelp with bad reviews if you’re a competitor and want to go that way.

My first impulse when I read a liberal’s position on any matter if I do not agree is not to demand that it be removed. However, the left has determined that denial of information is their preferred method of debate. That’s the message here.

You can still read the post on other sites today; it’s nothing but data. Heck you can even disagree with the interpretation of the data! Amazing.

But the author’s principal conclusion is (brace yourself!!) America needs better information to allocate resources such as ventilators and masks. Omg. That is so offensive!

The author was peddling a line of bull. He had no idea of what he was writing about, and there is nobody with any epidemiological expertise who has said he is even close to the correct line of argument. That is enough to get rid of it.

If "liberals" got if off of medium it is because said liberals at least know to trust experts instead of some bro coder...who is way in front of his skis here. And the fact that you fell for it without actually checking out his conclusions with some real experts says something about your blinders.
So its fair to assume that even if the clinical trials support these drugs as helpful in fighting the virus that you will refrain from using them.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am

1. Tamiflu

2. Z-Pak

Not a physician, but I like his doctors prescription. The first one might help, won't hurt. The next two for sure good ideas. The last one, questionable at best as to whether it helps, probably won't hurt, although it does increase risk of some bad things that could happen. Placebo.

Why not throw in some Jim Bakker Silver Solution?
But there are some side effects for both the first and last ones here...

Also, there are good reasons not to blindly trust reports like this. Without correctly run blind studies, it is pretty much impossible to know if the prescription here actually works.

You essentially have one data point here. It reminds me of something my major professor reminded me during my doctoral program about small data sets: if you have a single value only the size of the error bars are the value of the data... (translated here: you cannot trust one report)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I said it was an interesting idea and then analyzed it further. It doesn't hold up on further analysis, sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Error
Take me to Medium

Red: you seem very much like what I fear in the Left: intolerant of thought. You obviously did not even read this post (which is online in a thousand other boards now), because even he stats that he is not 100% sure where this will go. He simply asked to pump the brakes on believing everything being tossed at you should you do nothing but watch the evening news. Scary thought!

Then the Left mobilized to take it down; Medium is not a platform generally for political threads and its members certainly skew liberal.

You'd be surprised to know that I watch (mostly) MSNBC and CNN, not because I embrace their message, but I think it makes me a better listener. Hearing all sides seems to be the Left's achilles heel.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:51 am

I said it was an interesting idea and then analyzed it further. It doesn't hold up on further analysis, sorry if that hurts your feelings.

It doesn't hurt my feelings in the least if you disagree with another person's findings. I am more concerned when the Left organizes a targeted (in essence) DNS attack on a post with which it disagrees. Red is cool with that.

Are you sympathetic to that action, btw? Do you support targeted removals of papers, research, clinical studies if they run into your political beliefs?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48 am

Error
Take me to Medium

So its fair to assume that even if the clinical trials support these drugs as helpful in fighting the virus that you will refrain from using them.
Absolutely not - but I will wait for some actual data. Not jump to the conclusion that we have solved the problem. Remember when PB posted this he specifically made claims about the quality of the guy's arguments - which turn out to be essentially nonsense. The original article here was nothing about clinical trials and drugs. It was about whether we were in for a huge number of cases or not, and Mr. Ginn was claiming that he could magically see things in the data that were not there.

Now as to drugs: there are going to be lots of "forced" trials of various medications and combinations as doctors and families begin to get desperate about patient survival as this pandemic continues to climb. But most doctors will actually use data to make conclusions - and the best possible treatments will be shown to actually work in real trials.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:41 am Why not throw in some Jim Bakker Silver Solution?
Don’t forget some Alex Jones toothpaste.
:lol: How could I have forgotten that?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:52 am

Error
Take me to Medium

Red: you seem very much like what I fear in the Left: intolerant of thought. You obviously did not even read this post (which is online in a thousand other boards now), because even he stats that he is not 100% sure where this will go. He simply asked to pump the brakes on believing everything being tossed at you should you do nothing but watch the evening news. Scary thought!

Then the Left mobilized to take it down; Medium is not a platform generally for political threads and its members certainly skew liberal.

You'd be surprised to know that I watch (mostly) MSNBC and CNN, not because I embrace their message, but I think it makes me a better listener. Hearing all sides seems to be the Left's achilles heel.
No, actually I read it completely, and saw lots of issues with it. And in my initial reply post, I actually said just that. You need to read better.

And he was concluding that the actual peak of the pandemic would not really be that bad. Not just asking to pump the brakes on believing anything being tossed at you.

And the content of his post is a load of BS. Not just according to me, but real experts in epidemiology. Essentially it is dangerous information because it is so wrong.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I’ve been watching episodes of Bonanza and have yet to get COVID-19. That’s a 100% efficacy rate. I recommend it for everyone.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:54 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:51 am

It doesn't hurt my feelings in the least if you disagree with another person's findings. I am more concerned when the Left organizes a targeted (in essence) DNS attack on a post with which it disagrees. Red is cool with that.

Are you sympathetic to that action, btw? Do you support targeted removals of papers, research, clinical studies if they run into your political beliefs? Absolutely not? Not sure why it matters in this discussion.
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Not everyone is entitled to have their “opinions” about medicine, public health, and epidemiology. Not in a crisis like this.

So, let’s please stop promoting baseless quackery like the Daniel Dae Kim post. He’s a good actor, but he’s not an infectious disease expert.

In addition, the unjustified run on drugs like hydroxychloroquinine has resulted in severe shortages that are hurting patients who really need those anti-inflammatory medications.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”