All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:30 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:28 pm
JHU72:
I would take a governor that I have basic philosophical differences with (Hogan) and have not voted for in a second over either one of them.
So based on your voting record, you'd rather have 1st term, inexperienced Governor Ben Jealous leading us through this crisis, than 2nd term experienced Governor Larry Hogan (who was elected President of the National Governors Assn by his fellow Governors).
Solid, nonpartisan choice.
He said he'd prefer Hogan over Trump.
He said he has not voted for Hogan.
Did he vote for Ben Jealous instead ?
Who would he prefer to have as Governor now ?
dunno (I wouldn't), but not the point of his comment.
DocBarrister

The Triumph of FDR Over Ronald Reagan

Post by DocBarrister »

It’s been a nearly century-long war: Big Government vs. Small Government. Forty years ago, this war was encapsulated as FDR vs. Reagan ... the four term president who used the unmatched power of government against the Great Depression and WWII versus the president who said that government itself was the problem.

Well, FDR has clearly triumphed. In an age of massive terrorist attacks, global pandemics, and more mundane things like the feeding, housing, and health care of an aging population, Big Government has proven not only to be a good thing, but also a NECESSITY. FDR has triumphed over Reagan.

Now, FDR also showcased the dark side of Big Government, namely the brutal incarceration of Japanese Americans in prison camps.

Still, his legacy can be seen in the nearly $2 trillion stimulus bill being contemplated in Congress.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics ... index.html

Big Government is here to stay.

Thank God.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Re: The Triumph of FDR Over Ronald Reagan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:50 pm It’s been a nearly century-long war: Big Government vs. Small Government. Forty years ago, this war was encapsulated as FDR vs. Reagan ... the four term president who used the unmatched power of government against the Great Depression and WWII versus the president who said that government itself was the problem.
The Federal government was 40% larger after 8 years of Reagan. It's proven to be the most dangerous flat-out-lie that we've been paying for in having millions of utterly delusional Americans who think that Reagan cut spending and cut government, and that's what gave us the go-go 80's.

Nope. Like Trump, it was billions of borrowed dollars that pulled us out of the 70's.

Reagan gave us the Farm Bill. He, like Trump, was a Hollywood guy who knew how to sell things to voters.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Moron Trump lover Ron DeSantis has finally closed Florida but Republicans should know he’s sending those hungover Spring Break kids back to every state in the US. My country is so broken.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm Moron Trump lover Ron DeSantis has finally closed Florida but Republicans should know he’s sending those hungover Spring Break kids back to every state in the US. My country is so broken.
Truly stupid.
I think it was PB who was telling us of Gillum's scandal and praising DeSantis in turn...I think we'd have rather had a guy who might be screwing, and drinking and drugging with male prostitute. Pretty sure that even with those distractions, the beaches would have been closed.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:17 pm Moron Trump lover Ron DeSantis has finally closed Florida but Republicans should know he’s sending those hungover Spring Break kids back to every state in the US. My country is so broken.
Truly stupid.
I think it was PB who was telling us of Gillum's scandal and praising DeSantis in turn...I think we'd have rather had a guy who might be screwing, and drinking and drugging with male prostitute. Pretty sure that even with those distractions, the beaches would have been closed.
Because the nerve is a democrat. Thats the only reason.

he was under investigation as Mayor for selling his office.

But he's the right man cause hes a dem. And dems do the right thing with a d*ck in their mouths and crystal meth in their veins. Always
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:32 pm
Truly stupid.

But he's the right man cause hes a dem. And dems do the right thing with a d*ck in their mouths and crystal meth in their veins. Always
Thanks for the extra added oomph to your reply, 6ft, it was so helpful. :roll:

No, I'm saying even a guy with those distractions would likely not have denied the reality of the virus' spread and the necessity to close the beaches, and restaurants, and bars.. period.

Lots of R Gov's have done way, way better than this knucklehead DeSantis. Mine has and he easily got my vote, twice. In fact, It's been forever since I voted D for Gov in my state, even though we've had a few that were passable.

It ain't the R or the D, 6ft, we're talking about competence in a crisis.

DeSantis has definitely cost lives.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

US positive cases jump by 5k in 12 hours, yet death rate is at its lowest to date since the 15th of March @ 1.21%: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:31 pm US positive cases jump by 5k in 12 hours, yet death rate is at its lowest to date since the 15th of March @ 1.21%: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Deaths are on a delay - it takes some time between new case and death. It will lag while the delta per day is getting larger, but it is likely coming.

A different way to say it: the death rate is NOT the number of deaths divided by the number of cases total while the numbers are ramping up. The death rate has to be modeled in the face of the number of actual cases (some of which we do not know about at this time) that led to that number of deaths. There will (sadly) be more deaths associated with the new cases - and of course that is somewhat of a moving target because it depends on which population it is attacking.

An example of that last thing I said - the nursing home in WA where most of the patients were of quite high risk given their ages, compared to South Korea, where younger people had a quite high rate of infection due to the spreading within a large Christian sect/cult that primarily young people attend in SK.
youthathletics

Re: All things CO

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:36 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:31 pm US positive cases jump by 5k in 12 hours, yet death rate is at its lowest to date since the 15th of March @ 1.21%: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Deaths are on a delay - it takes some time between new case and death. It will lag while the delta per day is getting larger, but it is likely coming.

A different way to say it: the death rate is NOT the number of deaths divided by the number of cases total while the numbers are ramping up. The death rate has to be modeled in the face of the number of actual cases (some of which we do not know about at this time) that led to that number of deaths. There will (sadly) be more deaths associated with the new cases - and of course that is somewhat of a moving target because it depends on which population it is attacking.
I've suggested that possibility earlier, but there should be no correlation between more tests being taken and deaths. Bottom line, if you have it, well then....you have it. The test makes no difference. My primary reason for doing the simple math of deaths/postive cases, is in the end to see the comparison of this virus vs others....even the seasonal flu.
Last edited by youthathletics on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:42 pm
I've suggested that possibility earlier, but there should be no correlation between more tests being taken and deaths. Bottom line, if you have it, well then....you have it. The test makes no difference.
What is complicating things also is that testing itself is finally ramping up (so we know better who actually has this), and the virus is actually spreading (especially given the slowness we started instituting social distancing and preventing gatherings of large numbers of people. They both have an effect...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:45 pm
I've suggested that possibility earlier, but there should be no correlation between more tests being taken and deaths. Bottom line, if you have it, well then....you have it. The test makes no difference.
What is complicating things also is that testing itself is finally ramping up (so we know better who actually has this), and the virus is actually spreading (especially given the slowness we started instituting social distancing and preventing gatherings of large numbers of people. They both have an effect...
The other challenge is that if the health system is overwhelmed, the death rate will rise.
Looks like that's what happened in Wuhan.
Now happening in Italy, soon in Madrid. NYC right behind.

The craziness of allowing the spring breakers to continue to party...now headed home all over the country...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm
Truly stupid.

No, I'm saying even a guy with those distractions would likely not have denied the reality of the virus' spread and the necessity to close the beaches, and restaurants, and bars.. period.

Lots of R Gov's have done way, way better than this knucklehead DeSantis. Mine has and he easily got my vote, twice. In fact, It's been forever since I voted D for Gov in my state, even though we've had a few that were passable.

MD: Ron Desantis enjoys a 70% approval rating from his constituents. That would include many Democrats whom you swear here often you’re not one (though it becomes hard to tell since your analysis tends to shade only one direction).

You seem to think Floridians don’t know what’s good for them. I think you called Ron a “knucklehead”. Presumably you know more about Ron than we do. Please share with the board.

The below are from newspapers quite hostile to Ron.

https://www.theledger.com/news/20200320 ... estaurants

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... alm-beach/

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/ed ... story.html
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

So does the flu Red, and the Flu death rate is measured by positive cases and deaths....just trying to follow the same simple, formula, without conflating it with speculation. We can always add in markers afterwards.
~Livy

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm
So does the flu Red, and the Flu death rate is measured by positive cases and deaths....just trying to follow the same simple, formula, without conflating it with speculation. We can always add in markers afterwards.
Your method only works when the "season" is over and the rate of infection/deaths become nearly zero. Meaningless as it ramps up.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Stop comparing this to the flu. Just stop. The health professionals in China and Italy can tell you that this is nothing like the flu. It is far, far, far worse. :roll:

We’re at 25,493 confirmed cases (and the deaths from those cases will come days to weeks from now). Just surged past Spain. Only China and Italy are ahead of us in confirmed cases.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 pm
Truly stupid.

MD: Ron Desantis enjoys a 70% approval rating from his constituents. That would include many Democrats whom you swear here often you’re not one (though it becomes hard to tell since your analysis tends to shade only one direction).

You seem to think Floridians don’t know what’s good for them. I think you called Ron a “knucklehead”. Presumably you know more about Ron than we do. Please share with the board.

Oh I'm quite sure he's a knucklehead. The restaurants and beaches should have been long shut down.

His failure means lives.

But if you want to make the argument that he was just following Der Leader and it really wasn't his fault...ok.

But, hey, I'm happy to root for him to put the pedal to the metal, fast now.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 pm
Truly stupid.

Oh I'm quite sure he's a knucklehead. The restaurants and beaches should have been long shut down.

His failure means lives.

But if you want to make the argument that he was just following Der Leader and it really wasn't his fault...ok.

But, hey, I'm happy to root for him to put the pedal to the metal, fast now.

“Knucklehead” = Yale undergrad, Harvard JD, Navy, JAG, Seal Team One, never lost a political race, appointed several Democrats to his Cabinet, leading the way on clean water and Everglades restoration, 70% statewide approval ratings.

Also married to Casey, runner up D1 Equestrian champion, phi beta kappa, fluent in French, former TV announcer, handicap of 8.

I hope I’m a knucklehead too!! Lol. I’m guessing you aren’t too familiar with Ron, but simply repeat media and liberal talking points.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I certainly hope that Florida doesn’t get crushed by the virus, as I am sure everyone does. But from the perspective of this moment, it certainly looks like your governor has made some critically bad decisions: not canceling spring break, not shutting the beaches down, not shutting the state down. His education, his approval rating, his electoral history, and his wife are irrelevant to that.

People seem to fall into two camps these days. Those who think extreme steps are an overreaction and those who think they are necessary.

To paraphrase the late great Kenny Rogers, there’ll be time enough to make those judgments when we are done with the virus. If at the end of the day, the extreme steps are shown to have been an overreaction, I’ll be more than happy to eat crow. But right now, my feeling is the same as Dr. Fauci’s: if you think this is an overreaction, I say good.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:15 pm
Stop comparing this to the flu. Just stop. The health professionals in China and Italy can tell you that this is nothing like the flu. It is far, far, far worse. :roll:

We’re at 25,493 confirmed cases (and the deaths from those cases will come days to weeks from now). Just surged past Spain. Only China and Italy are ahead of us in confirmed cases.

DocBarrister :|
Wake up. I was not comparing the virus to the flu, I was comparing the outcome to the death rate of the flu, when the dust finally settles.

As Fauci said earlier....Italy kept travel open too long, and they are paying the price...hence that may very well be why our numbers via death are still quite low. We simply do not know yet....although I’m sure you know. :roll:
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”