All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Kismet

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Kismet »

New York Air Route Traffic Control Center (ZNY) is located in Ronkonkoma NY in Central Suffolk County on Long Island

"Collectively, the Center is responsible for air traffic service in 3,270,000 square miles (8,500,000 km2) of controlled airspace. ZNY assumes a route control over four extremely busy Class B airports; most of the air traffic in and out of the New York Metropolitan Area."

If there is a ground stop at NY airports those would likely be the people who ordered it.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:34 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:27 pm Ground stop in New York. Expect most commercial traffic to halt this week for a week is my guess. Private should be affected only by uncontrolled airspace navigating, which some pilots aren’t used to.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/21/faa-iss ... ty.Message
The article just says one ATC facility located on LI. Does not specify if it houses NY Center or NY Approach.
They may be able to continue normal IFR handling to traffic other than arrivals & departures.
I thought it was just JFK tower.
JFK tower ops were conducted from an alternate site yesterday while the regular tower cab was disinfected.
Ops continued normally.
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:38 pm Australia activated national pandemic protocols on January 21st. One wonders about the intel that was shooting around FVEY's during that period.
But Trump didn’t want to disturb the stock markets, so his complete lack of action was fine. What’s thousands of potential American deaths compared to the importance of keeping Trump happy?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:27 pm Ground stop in New York. Expect most commercial traffic to halt this week for a week is my guess. Private should be affected only by uncontrolled airspace navigating, which some pilots aren’t used to.

The article just says one ATC facility located on LI. Does not specify if it houses NY Center or NY Approach.
They may be able to continue normal IFR handling to traffic other than arrivals & departures.

I think it’s N90 TRACON which handles approach traffic for all 3 airports up there; it could be Ronkonkama too. Confusing messaging to say it’s operational but all traffic is halted. They might be waiting on reserve controllers to show up, hence its “operational” but they are stoping traffic until they arrive.

Flightaware shows a stoppage.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 pm

I think it’s N90 TRACON which handles approach traffic for all 3 airports up there; it could be ZNY too. Confusing messaging to say it’s operational but all traffic is halted. They might be waiting on reserve controllers to show up, hence its “operational” but they are stoping traffic until they arrive.

Yep. It's NY Center. In addition to JFK tower yesterday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/n ... 891750001/
Last edited by old salt on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 pm

I think it’s N90 TRACON which handles approach traffic for all 3 airports up there; it could be ZNY too. Confusing messaging to say it’s operational but all traffic is halted. They might be waiting on reserve controllers to show up, hence its “operational” but they are stoping traffic until they arrive.

Yep. It's NY Center

N90 Tracon is in Westbury NY (Nassau County) and they control the three local airports. NYARTCC is the facility in Ronkonkoma that had reported an infected trainee who has not been to work since earlier this week. The are commonly called "New York Center" and handle regional approach and departure
CU77

Post by CU77 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:26 pm Is testing limited to just "sick" patients ? It's not being used for contact tracing ?
Not any more. Contact tracing has been abandoned. Read today's news.

Guess this puts a damper on the nepotist-in-chief's plan to make a profit off of massive testing in retail stores (which are now all closed …).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Yep. It's NY Center

That’ll be interesting. Better have a deep bench of controllers willing to work in a tight space where someone obviously tested positive. I don’t think Center has a backup facility to operate from.

I’d ground all flight schools at the very least. That’ll clear some of the ‘problem’ traffic.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Yep. It's NY Center

That’ll be interesting. Better have a deep bench of controllers willing to work in a tight space where someone obviously tested positive. I don’t think Center has a backup facility to operate from.

I’d ground all flight schools at the very least. That’ll clear some of the ‘problem’ traffic.
Here's what N90 TRACON covers. Won't be easy to shift that much off-site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_TRACON
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

3/20/2020 per capita numbers (past 24 hrs from roughly 7:30 3/19/20 pm to 7:30 pm 3/20/20)

Interesting information follows:

US Cases per Capita --> 5.80 per 100,000
US Deaths per Capita --> .7 per million

States with highest per capita infection (per 100,000)
--> New York 42.7; 56% higher than yesterday's rate
--> Washington 20.1; 30% higher than yesterday's rate
--> Louisiana 11.6; 55% higher than yesterday's rate
--> New Jersey 10.2; 20% higher than yesterday's rate
--> District of Columbia 10.1; 77.2% higher that yesterday's rate

Only 8 states have death rates of more than 1 per million (3 new since yesterday)
--> Washington 10.9 per million
--> Vermont 3.2 per million
--> Louisiana 3.0 per million
--> New York 2.2 per million
--> District of Columbia 1.4 per million
--> New Jersey 1.2 per million
--> Georgia 1.2 per million
--> South Dakota 1.1 per million

US deaths in the last 24 hours is 41% greater than the deaths for the previous 24 hours
US new cases in the last 24 hours is 47% greater than the new cases in the previous 24 hours

Six new states have joined the club, recording their first death in the past 24 hours
--> Ohio
--> Massachusetts
--> Wisconsin
--> Mississippi
--> District of Columbia
--> Vermont

Notes:
-- I guessed Washington State might be winding down 2 days ago. It came back yesterday.
-- Vermont had a very bad day - will watch to see if it is the start of a trend
-- DC continue to grow its infection. The DC area is a bigger problem than shown given the MD and VA suburbs are also showing growth, while the states as a whole aren't breaking any parametric records
-- Overnight Louisiana passed NY in deaths per million and New Jersey in infections per 100,000. Tulane Medical System announced yesterday afternoon that they are close to being overrun.
-- Florida isn't showing any particular problem by the numbers but is by the Kinsa networked thermometer metric. It is expected to bloom sometime next week in terms of infection numbers and deaths the following week. This is thought to be due to spring break. Some infections will leave the state, others will stay. Spring break in Florida was a real bad idea this year.
-- The per capita infection and death rate daily increase rates are higher than China's during their outbreak.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
RedFromMI

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Not sure of the exact location, but they did a thorough disinfecting and apparently are coming back online.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:30 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:28 pm
JHU72:
I would take a governor that I have basic philosophical differences with (Hogan) and have not voted for in a second over either one of them.
So based on your voting record, you'd rather have 1st term, inexperienced Governor Ben Jealous leading us through this crisis, than 2nd term experienced Governor Larry Hogan (who was elected President of the National Governors Assn by his fellow Governors).
Solid, nonpartisan choice.
He said he'd prefer Hogan over Trump.
He said he has not voted for Hogan.
Did he vote for Ben Jealous instead ?
Who would he prefer to have as Governor now ?
I did not vote for Hogan and would choose Hogan over either Pence or Trump. Pence is way preferable to Trump in this situation.
Last edited by jhu72 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Re: All things COVID-19

Post by Kismet »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Not sure of the exact location, but they did a thorough disinfecting and apparently are coming back online.
FAA just lifted brief virus-related suspension of flights to NYC-area, Philadelphia airports at around 3:00PM EDT
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Hydroxychloroquine & Azithromycin should *NOT* be taken together because they increase the risk of fatal cardiac arrhythmia due to QTc prolongation.
Do NOT listen to Trump the president.
Listen to Ed the professor of pharmacology.

#CoronavirusPandemic
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Biggest news of the day. Could be a game changer. FDA approves a new 45-minute coronavirus test.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics ... index.html

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Sweet.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:42 pm
Trinity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:38 pm Australia activated national pandemic protocols on January 21st. One wonders about the intel that was shooting around FVEY's during that period.
But Trump didn’t want to disturb the stock markets, so his complete lack of action was fine. What’s thousands of potential American deaths compared to the importance of keeping Trump happy?

DocBarrister :roll:
Thousands of global deaths caused by Chinese DIETARY habits. Then hidden and lied about by Chinese communists that delayed WHO declaring a pandemic till late January. Chinese still lying about it. Those are facts. Your Trump accusation is pure opinion.

ps: this all happened during the Chinese New year. Year of the rat. The biggest travel time throughout the year. Many went to Italy for holiday.
Last edited by 6ftstick on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-embra ... 14410.html

A well thought out article that points out in a very even handed way the style of leadership in dealing with Covid-19 Trump often exhibits in his position as POTUS. Some will call it brave and intelligent, some will call it brazen if not downright reckless. I would say his leadership regarding this particular matter resonates as optimistic cheerleading more than deeply weighed and broadly considered insight. Trump would do well to listen to Governor Cuomo's addresses to NY and (by virtue of CNN and MSNBC, perhaps Fox as well whom I sometimes tune into) the country that often precede his in the morning, for a lesson in keeping hopeful but fact based, and not self aggrandizing. Trump has shown himself to be very adept at the first of the three qualities, not as much so regarding qualities two and three, though I will admit I've seen more of an effort on his part to stick to the facts regarding this matter than I have regarding many others. This thing is likely to drag on for a number of newscycles (months more likely than weeks) and it would be nice to see some continued growing into the job on a temperment level on the part of the POTUS, or we are likely to find the opposition grow considerably more surly than he finds them now.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Trump administration’s incompetence has stranded thousands of Americans in foreign nations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/so ... story.html

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The briefings are for blame-shifting and self-soothing. Pence should follow the Cuomo model and stick to the facts.

Return to “POLITICS”