2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: 2020 Elections - Next Up

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76

Re: 2020 Elections - Way Too Early??

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dislaxxic wrote:Michael Bloomberg Can Buy Popularity, but Can He Buy the Presidency?

A pretend Republican versus a pretend Democrat?? Geez, what could go wrong??

Wait...which is which???? :lol:

I get the chuckle, of course.

The differences are quite stark, though, between a self-made billionaire (truly self-made) businessman who has built and run an enormous business with many employees, with no money-laundering or tax evasion suspicions, who has been a very successful multi-term big city mayor, working across party lines...etc, etc....and what we have now. Daddy's money, fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, racist, misogynist, con man...I'm sure I've missed something...

What we do know is that Bloomberg wouldn't be welcome in his own Party.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ggait wrote:
Dems will almost always over-play their hand.
On this occasion, have to go back to ggait's candid admission...

IMO, Ds taking control of the House is the worst thing that could happen to them. I expect they will waste their time investigating rather than legislating, and by the time 2020 rolls around, they will have completely angered/alienated the majority of independent moderates, and party moderates alike. Pelosi, Waters, Schiff, Cummings, Nadler...whoa, what a stellar line up for the progressive types on here to cheer on :roll:

My wish (more a pipe dream) for 2020, is that Trump somehow has finally run out of steam, has burned out and drops out, leaving the the race wide open for Nikki Haley to break the POTUS glass ceiling. :D
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

tech37 wrote:
ggait wrote:

IMO, Ds taking control of the House is the worst thing that could happen to them. I expect they will waste their time investigating rather than legislating, and by the time 2020 rolls around, they will have completely angered/alienated the majority of independent moderates, and party moderates alike. Pelosi, Waters, Schiff, Cummings, Nadler...whoa, what a stellar line up for the progressive types on here to cheer on :roll:

My wish (more a pipe dream) for 2020, is that Trump somehow has finally run out of steam, has burned out and drops out, leaving the the race wide open for Nikki Haley to break the POTUS glass ceiling. :D
Hillaryous Clinton will run for President.............just sad, but she will. Do they have enough blackmail to make the charge again? Oh, if you know, you know. ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I got a kick out of Nancy Pelosi trying to rally the troops last night. Talk about someone that is past their shelf life. People wouldn’t want this person shopping for them at Christmas, yet alone Leading their political party.
The good news for republicans is that Democrats have shown once again that they just can’t get out of their own way. Expect more socks and hard candy for the Democrats in 2020 if Pelosi is running the show.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Wow. MSNBC cutie Notorious Natasha B is positive about our election security. Take that Ivan.
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2018 ... e_today_nl

...if there is anything positive to take away from Russia’s election interference in 2016, it’s this: America’s election infrastructure has never been more carefully monitored in the days, weeks, and months leading up to a nationwide vote—and voters themselves are more wary than ever of foreign propaganda masked as a political ad or Twitter troll.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote:
ggait wrote:

I could root for Nikki Haley. And not be embarrassed to be a Republican again.

On the "investigating" aspect, it really depends on what they uncover (and really what Mueller's team uncovers). If dominoes continue to fall re Russia-related 'collusion' and financial crimes, and various Cabinet members and other R pols are exposed as corrupt, I don't think moderate voters of any stripe will be angry at the Dems. Same for the various state investigations of the Trump org.

If few or no 'scalps,' different story.
It'll be seen as overreach and failed political hit jobs.

We probably differ on our expectations as to how the 'scalps' will happen, or not.

On "legislating", the Dems have the House, but not the Senate nor the White House, so we really shouldn't expect much successful legislation that reflects their preferences. So, the question will be whether the House passes legislation that demands votes in the Senate and/or Presidential veto. My hunch is that McConnell will make little pretense of ignoring the House and be satisfied with 2 more years of judicial and other appointments.

From the White House, Trump just made very, very clear that if the Dems do the "investigating" part, with subpoenas, that he will weaponize the FBI in counterattack, and that there will be no legislative work at all, no chance of compromises.

As theres zero chance of no subpoenas, I think we know how Trump is going to play it. He's saying 'game on'.

So, it'll be back to 'scalps'.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Exit Polls Show Suburbs as Likely 2020 Battlefield
Nearly 50 percent of the electorate is suburban, which this year was evenly split between Republicans and Democrats -- at 49 percent each -- according to the National Election Poll, the exit poll of almost 19,000 respondents often cited by the national media. For the last two decades, suburban voters have leaned slightly Republican, as was the case in 2016 when Donald Trump outpolled Hillary Clinton by four percentage points. In contrast, urban voters supported Democrats by a 33-point margin in this year’s midterms, while Republicans carried rural areas by 14 points.

Two years ago, Trump carried independent voters, 46 percent to 42 percent, whereas the Democrats won independents on Tuesday, 54 percent to 42 percent. This was particularly pronounced among independent men, who flipped from supporting Trump in 2016 by 12 points to supporting the Democrats by seven this year. The trend of independent women supporting Democrats widened from a five-point advantage in 2016 to a 17-point lead in 2018.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

One writer's opinion

"Want To Beat Trump In 2020? Look At Sherrod Brown’s Big Win In Ohio."

Hik-Brown??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dis 2020 is still eons away in election terms. I think the dems should have a very simple path to winning in 2020... The first rule they have to follow... DON'T NOMINATE HILLARY AGAIN... icon_puke
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I hope hope hope Brown runs for POTUS in 2020. He is the only D that I think has a strong chance of dethroning OD ...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/11/ric ... president/ Could the democrats be smart enough to actually nominate this man? Hell he would get my vote in a heartbeat. IMO he just will never win over the FLP wing of the party. He is not the candidate they are looking for. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote:https://theintercept.com/2018/11/11/ric ... president/ Could the democrats be smart enough to actually nominate this man? Hell he would get my vote in a heartbeat. IMO he just will never win over the FLP wing of the party. He is not the candidate they are looking for. :roll:

He is a poster child of what Hillaryous and her goldman sachs wonderboys consider "deplorable".
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:https://theintercept.com/2018/11/11/ric ... president/ Could the democrats be smart enough to actually nominate this man? Hell he would get my vote in a heartbeat. IMO he just will never win over the FLP wing of the party. He is not the candidate they are looking for. :roll:
Sheesh, you're right, he doesn't have a snowballs chance in...voted for Trump, tied to coal companies, no way.

All sorts of other things to perhaps like or at least respect, but no, a guy who just lost for State Senator in W.Va, with zero national stature...pretty sure he won't raise a nickel much less get any workers to join him. Actually gotta wonder whether he has a screw loose thinking otherwise. The way he's yelling in the first video, yup, could well have one or more loose.

There will be at least one candidate, e.g. a Sherrod Brown, with working class, middle America appeal, who has actual earned bona fides. And no one will pay any attention to this guy other than to worry about him being embarrassing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

If Biden runs there is another candidate with major blue collar bona fides. Brown would be a good candidate from that perspective, but I really don't think there is another politician in either party that has Biden's bona fides with the working class. Bernie also has good working class bona fides, second only to Biden. Kasich among republicans does well, although his standing with unions is problematic given he is a republican. Ojeda doesn't have a chance in the democratic party. The bulk of the party will never forgive him for supporting Orange Duce.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

WSJ says Hillary is going to run!!!!! bootys1

Get yourself ready for 4 more years of Trump icon_puke

:shock:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

WSJ is full of sheet. She may consider it, put a committee together, but in the end, she won't run.
Last edited by jhu72 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Agreed...that's not happening. She wouldn't survive a primary...no matter how much Hoo wants her to run ;)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Here is the problem - my guess is that if she does run (and I bet, short of death or a huge scandal that Hillary does indeed run), she is going to go faaar left. Left of Ocasio-Cortez. Left of Bernie Sanders. She will run on the message of: "I compromised my principles and tried to run as a moderate. I have learned my lesson and now will be running a campaign that is "true to me and my values". I will run on my core beliefs: Universal health care; Free college; Living wage; Women's right to choose". She will press every left wing hot button she can find - and it might just get her the nomination.

If there is one thing the D party has shown it is that it tends to lack discipline. Hillary lost the nomination to Obama because the party lacked discipline, and that time it worked out. She won the nomination in 2016 because she was able to enforce discipline (narrowly nudging out Sanders), but in the end proving that "discipline" doesn't energize Dem voters sufficiently. She is savvy enough a politician to know that this time around she needs to package herself as the radical, the protester, the aggrieved. If she taps that right, along with a machine that is hidden from view....?

But, if she were to run and lose, that could be the best thing for the party in a long time. A Clinton loss would provide a very healthy "cleansing" process, providing a very clear break with the Wall Street aligned Clinton way. And win or lose vs Trump, a renewed message from the Dems would pave the way for continued Dem success below the white house.

Beyond that, every Dem should be nervous that she uses her muscle, and her money, and her political chits to once again claim what is her right! :shock:

Because every Republican will be secretly praying that she gets the nomination for 2020.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Novel fiction there, Hoo...you should write a screenplay. I'd suggest "Every Trumpist's Wet Dream" as a title...it'd be a smash hit in most of Fly-Over America! ;)

Return to “POLITICS”