All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:28 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:24 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:06 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:50 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 am Promising?

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/03/19 ... rus-898988

azithromycin in combo with hydroxychloroquine 100% cure rate in 6 days

Two readily available abundant drugs already in use and safe for humans.

Plus hydroxychloroquine is a preventative.
But safe together?
Someone who gets it. The answer is - not known. Not suspected to be a problem, but not known. This question was not answered in the very small study. It is promising. It is not ready for release to the public in general. Not close.

What will happen is they will do a more significant trial. This will take time. They will also release it for use in very critical cases, with the permission of the patient. If the FDA holds true to form, they will follow their procedure on both safety and effectiveness and study it carefully. We are closer to the beginning than the end on this "drug".

I actually find it hilarious, that the non-scientists, general deniers of climate change, who accuse scientist of jumping to conclusions, these same folks doing all the conclusion jumping. The scientist taking a measured stance on this drug. :lol: :lol:
But it IS a beginning. It will be interesting indeed but one is antimicrobial and one is antiviral. They are not interacting on the same mechanism. Is there an interaction, like you said we do not know but it certainly is as good a place to start as any.

Of course trials will need to be increases but as to the FDA's response that is another - not known. You are assuming, perhaps correctly, that attitudes would not change if mortality increases dramatically. I am not going to assume anything at this time as alot of people have said, this is a new and interesting time.
The fact that one is antiviral, the other antibiotic isn't really surprising. Most of the deaths early on were being caused by pneumonia after weakening by COVID. The study claims that the older test cases saw more improvement on the combination drug, than the antiviral alone, than the younger members of the study. Again, non-existent statistics.
Yep, I figured this. I have looked regarding antiviral and antimicrobial interactions but have yet to find much that I can access from home. If you have any I would lover to read them. Hard to get Statistics with an N=6
The FDA will be the FDA and proceed judiciously until someone in the administration gets antsy. The FDA clearly sees the need for speed, but they aren't going to take short cuts, especially on safety, unless ordered to do so. Trump would release it for general use today, and declare victory if he thought he could get away with it. The allowance for critical cases, done not infrequently under FDA rules, should suffice I would think.
You are probably right but these are new and interesting times. I would say the administration is already antsy. The question is how quickly will they start clinicals here if this continues to look good?
I would be surprised if they are not already moving to get one started very quickly. FDA is not going to drag feet on this.
According to the Politifact finding, the CDC did the same thing that other 1st world nations did -- took the WHO data & made a test kit.
The WHO liked germany's best, replicated it & distributed it to smaller nations.
The CDC had a "technical glitch" which delayed our test kits.
All as reported.
Think you attached to the wrong post of mine. Nonetheless yup, know all that. Germany is doing much better than us to date. See no reason why we could not have used the German test. I assume it would have involved passing a few bucks Germany's way.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm If the world was vegetarian, a large percentage of these pandemics would be all but meaningless. If the world lived in harmony with nature, these pandemics basically would never have existed. I'm currently not a vegetarian nor do I live in harmony with nature and... Just a post.

I actually think about this a lot. In some ways, eating meat is indefensible, but I do it...the hypocrite I am.

What would really help is if China shut down all those wet markets. Truly barbaric conditions.

I went to China a few years ago and stayed at 5-star hotels all the way. As my only nutritional intake, I ate bread and drank beer for the entire 8 days. Everything on any menu seemed repulsive. And these were nice spots we ventured to, Beijing and Shanghai.

Close the wet markets. They kill exotic animals that are shaking in their cages before slaughter, and the blood, puss, and waste drips from one cage down on to the next.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Italy has overtaken China as the country with the most deaths reported due to the coronavirus outbreak, registering 3,405 fatalities.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:32 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:47 am
old salt wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:17 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:58 am
holmes435 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am
Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am Italy added about 4100 new cases yesterday:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

The US is up to 9,486 cases, with 157 deaths. Daily new cases is listed at about 2900.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 7,500 persons die in the United States every day; and that 99% of all COVID cases in the US are classified as 'mild'.

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 1700 persons die in Italy every day; and that yesterday 475 died from COVID there.

Here are some eye opening graphs about the deaths in the US from that site. When do you think that death rate is is going to peak or even start to slow down?

I have been tracking it with my own spreadsheet, with the data from the JHU site for about a week. The US number has not moved much, although a bit downward.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
You won't see the USA number really move until time and testing ramp up. Why not use the Worldmeter site? That curve was flat for 6 weeks.
That's just # of deaths/day, not %'s. No denominator.
In the worldmeter chart?
No. In YA's chart. The one posted in the quote (which I appreciate & find informative).
Total Deaths is the critical indicator to me when gauging community spread.
We are up to 164/11340 or so. I am hoping we trend down to below 1%. That would be a good outcome compared to others. The lower the better. Hopefully we control the spread and rely on our superior healthcare capabilities to push that number down. Not overwhelming the system is key.
The mortality rate can climb if we don’t “flatten the curve” by slowing down coronavirus transmission.

I’m very concerned that we are already the “Next Italy”, but on a much larger scale.

DocBarrister :|
From a guy I exchange music ideas with in Detroit:
“ I can still breathe (slowly getting more difficult) I apparently don't warrant being tested yet. We're still trying to confirm, but it looks like one of my high school classmates died from this yesterday, quite suddenly. I'm 50 years old. Be careful.”

He has a fever of 101.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:58 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 am Promising?

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/03/19 ... rus-898988

azithromycin in combo with hydroxychloroquine 100% cure rate in 6 days

Two readily available abundant drugs already in use and safe for humans.

Plus hydroxychloroquine is a preventative.

Please, no positive commentary here. We are trying to destroy Trump!

:lol:
+100 so true. :lol:
So the epidemic is over. No problems, we got it beat and we can all go home. Gotcha. :lol:

Oh were life so simple that the anti-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to fillet Trump 24/7, how lovely our conversations would be.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Cooter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am Italy added about 4100 new cases yesterday:

The US is up to 9,486 cases, with 157 deaths. Daily new cases is listed at about 2900.

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 7,500 persons die in the United States every day; and that 99% of all COVID cases in the US are classified as 'mild'.

I think it is helpful to bear in mind that, on average, 1700 persons die in Italy every day; and that yesterday 475 died from COVID there.

Here are some eye opening graphs about the deaths in the US from that site. When do you think that death rate is is going to peak or even start to slow down?

I have been tracking it with my own spreadsheet, with the data from the JHU site for about a week. The US number has not moved much, although a bit downward.

You won't see the USA number really move until time and testing ramp up. Why not use the Worldmeter site? That curve was flat for 6 weeks.
In the worldmeter chart?
No. In YA's chart. The one posted in the quote (which I appreciate & find informative).
We are up to 164/11340 or so. I am hoping we trend down to below 1%. That would be a good outcome compared to others. The lower the better. Hopefully we control the spread and rely on our superior healthcare capabilities to push that number down. Not overwhelming the system is key.
Today Dr Birx said approx 90% of the tests are coming back negative. As the test pool expands beyond those showing symptoms & contact tracing of confirmed positives, to capture more asymptomatic carriers, the denominator will continue to grow, driving down the mortality rate.

That will allow for a more precise mapping of hot spots & community spread, helping in targeting allocation of resources & tightening/loosening mitigation restrictions in specific jurisdictions. She indicated they're tracking by county.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm If the world was vegetarian, a large percentage of these pandemics would be all but meaningless. If the world lived in harmony with nature, these pandemics basically would never have existed. I'm currently not a vegetarian nor do I live in harmony with nature and... Just a post.
Don't see myself as a vegetarian anytime soon but I could see myself adding vitamins or supplements to my (50+) lifestyle. Plus a bit more balanced exercise to lower the risks associated with various pre-existing conditions. Similarly, just a post.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:49 pm

In the worldmeter chart?
Today Dr Birx said approx 90% of the tests are coming back negative. As the test pool expands beyond those showing symptoms & contact tracing of confirmed positives, to capture more asymptomatic carriers, the denominator will continue to grow, driving down the mortality rate.

That will allow for a more precise mapping of hot spots & community spread, helping in targeting allocation of resources & tightening/loosening mitigation restrictions in specific jurisdictions. She indicated they're tracking by county.
Yes. We will have a better idea of where it is and the spread. We can get back to some sense of normalcy sooner. We could have been further along. Live and learn (hopefully).
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

something strange about our usually tracking lacrosse, discussing who will be where when, usually Memorial Day, and, now, it's replaced with tracking Coronavirus, discussing where Coronavirus will be and when, etc. Corona is our new sport.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:56 pm

In the worldmeter chart?

Yes. We will have a better idea of where it is and the spread. We can get back to some sense of normalcy sooner. We could have been further along. Live and learn (hopefully).
TO the point in red. That is why I have only been tracking infections and deaths in my google doc. The recovered number will speak for itself at some point, and simply is not getting updated or tracked accurately.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 pm

In the worldmeter chart?

TO the point in red. That is why I have only been tracking infections and deaths in my google doc. The recovered number will speak for itself at some point, and simply is not getting updated or tracked accurately.
Testing negative is not a recovery. Recoveries are actually tracked in the world meter chart (seems to be professionals). Do you believe their definition of recovery is in accurate? 86k out of 236k cases have recovered.
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Just saw someone call toilet paper “buttcoin.”
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:14 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 pm

In the worldmeter chart?

Testing negative is not a recovery. Recoveries are actually tracked in the world meter chart (seems to be professionals). Do you believe their definition of recovery is in accurate? 86k out of 236k cases have recovered.
You read far too deep in my reply. I have no reason not to trust them....have the defined how they track/test recovery. My point is simply, if you have it, and do not die, at some point the delta = recovery.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm Just saw someone call toilet paper “buttcoin.”
i needed a laugh, thanks trin. ;)
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pmOh were life so simple that the anti-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to fillet Trump 24/7, how lovely our conversations would be.
Oh were life so simple that the pro-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to praise their Dear Leader, how lovely our conversations would be.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm Just saw someone call toilet paper “buttcoin.”
A friend told me yesterday that she had seen rolls of toilet paper in a big claw machine in Ocean City, MD last week.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 pmOh were life so simple that the anti-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to fillet Trump 24/7, how lovely our conversations would be.
Oh were life so simple that the pro-Trump brigade was solely concerned about the virus and not about using yet another issue to praise their Dear Leader, how lovely our conversations would be.
… to borrow a much much much overused Trumpism, "its like nothing anybody has ever seen". :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 pm

I'd be curious who here praises Trump's character or even his response to COVID-19.

Could you point that out to me? Presumably you have some facts to back that up.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Number of confirmed Covid19 cases in my county as of two days ago: 2

This morning, a graduate student in a class I teach in this county (which went from in-person to online on March 11) informed me of a positive test result.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Anyone else notice that Dr. Anthony Fauci has disappeared from press conferences on the outbreak? I'm curious as to why that is.

Return to “POLITICS”