All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

Bart wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:14 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:36 am No new coronavirus cases in Wuhan, China, where global pandemic began:

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-wuhan ... b6232.html
That is great news if true. I certainly hope so. It shows how social distancing works but it has taken over to months of very strict social distancing to do so? Do we have the stomach for that? I hope so.
Have seen multiple reports of this, multiple sources. I don't believe this will last. Just setting up a second wave.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

this is a lot like a microcosm of our elected officials in govt- we can't even agree on what to call something. substance be damned!

:oops:
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:53 am this is a lot like a microcosm of our elected officials in govt- we can't even agree on what to call something. substance be damned!

Here here.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

US confirmed cases by date:

3/1: 89
3/2: 105
3/3: 125
3/4: 159
3/5: 227
3/6: 331
3/7: 444
3/8: 564
3/9: 728
3/10: 1,000
3/11: 1,267
3/12: 1,645
3/13: 2,204
3/14: 2,826
3/15: 3,505
3/16: 4,466
3/17: 6,135
Now: 8,760

Waiting for the Post-Spring Break turbocharge.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:53 am this is a lot like a microcosm of our elected officials in govt- we can't even agree on what to call something. substance be damned!

Here here.
I vote for Chinese BatShit Virus
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Is that why Trump is insisting on using the word "Chinese"...he just wants to be accurate? substance?

Come on, you know better.

This isn't a tough one, please don't buy into it.

Plenty to discuss without that stuff.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 am https://www.visualcapitalist.com/histor ... deadliest/

An interesting and quick read.
Thanks. It will be interesting to see this updated in a month or two.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

CU88 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 am https://www.visualcapitalist.com/histor ... deadliest/

An interesting and quick read.
Thanks for posting. Very interesting.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Assuming we all 'shut down' for a few weeks if not one month, I believe this event will prove to be far scarier in hindsight than reality, and that we will learn a great deal from it. The first thing is, the UN (oh god...) need to come up with an army of medics to tackle the next pandemic. The second is, if you have lived an unhealthy life and as a result are an unhealthy person (obesity looks to be a constant among those dying in the west), pathogens will find you...it's probably best to start living healthier lives no matter where you reside.

I want Trump to figure that one out but I'm not sure he's the guy to lead that charge. But life has forever changed for us. 'Society' will demand a coordinated global response team after this one blows past.

Honestly, were I Trump, I'd nominate Andrew Yang to take the US lead. Just not sure if Trump has that leadership skill to hire someone smarter...a good leader always hires smarter people than himself.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks. I'd have confidence in this analysis.

So, our CDC simply f'd up.
We chose to stick to our more complicated test, despite WHO's judgment to adopt the German model.

And when we had problems with the initial tests, it was a manufacturing problem.

Meanwhile, the States didn't get swift approval to use what they'd developed.

And now testing materials are in short supply.

All while Trump was saying all in control, this would disappear quickly.
No effect on sense of urgency???

But hey he rates himself a "10".
CU88

Post by CU88 »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:04 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 am

Here here.
I vote for Chinese BatShit Virus
You might be right, Swine Flu started here in the US.

John Cornyn criticized Chinese for eating snakes. He forgot about the rattlesnake roundups back in Texas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... nyn-blame/

r's love themselves a good ol fashion snake round up and BBQ...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:26 am
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?
Do you know that it wasn't ? You think people inside DoD were not planning for contingencies ? Recalling the reservist med staff will likely be the long pole in the tent. Many will probably trickle in after the ship is pierside in NYC.

Don't expect you to have that answer, Salty.
I think we all know the answer, we were "fiddling".

Glad it's in motion now.
Sure, we know that it certainly wasn't made at the White House level 3 weeks ago...I think you may be saying, however, that the military folks may have had their heads screwed on right and got this moving 3 weeks ago on their own?

Sure, that's possible, but then your estimate of how long it would take to get from "cold" to "warm" should start from that point, not today, right?

I'm not saying that no one at DoD was at least thinking about contingency planning weeks ago, heck I sure hope some folks were doing so, but the decision to actually move from "cold" asap does not at least sound like it had already been made.

This feels like an Occam's Razor situation.

It also appears that when the announcement was made, the WH didn't understand that the ship wasn't actually ready...or they chose to BS it despite knowing.

EDIT: Saw your update re McCaffrey's comment yesterday..He's not saying that the DoD got orders 3 weeks ago...indeed, just a week ago the reporting out of DoD was that they were waiting for orders re COVID 19. It's indeed good news that they've at least gotten orders this week.

I'd note that NY Gov Cuomo was loudly calling for military help on Saturday and the WH looked like deer in the head lights on that call...
You don't make the decision to deploy the Hospital Ships until you determine that it's worth the impact of removing the medical staff from their regular positions.

You don't know where the hot spot will be. Only recently did NYC overtake Seattle as the biggest hot spot. Hopefully the benefit of sending the Comfort there outweighs the negative impact of pulling the med staff from all the E Coast hospitals. Otherwise, deploying the Comfort is just a PR placebo to mollify Cuomo.

They still haven't decided where to send the Mercy. Puget Sound or the Bay area ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 am Assuming we all 'shut down' for a few weeks if not one month, I believe this event will prove to be far scarier in hindsight than reality, and that we will learn a great deal from it. The first thing is, the UN (oh god...) need to come up with an army of medics to tackle the next pandemic. The second is, if you have lived an unhealthy life and as a result are an unhealthy person (obesity looks to be a constant among those dying in the west), pathogens will find you...it's probably best to start living healthier lives no matter where you reside.

I want Trump to figure that one out but I'm not sure he's the guy to lead that charge. But life has forever changed for us. 'Society' will demand a coordinated global response team after this one blows past.

Honestly, were I Trump, I'd nominate Andrew Yang to take the US lead. Just not sure if Trump has that leadership skill to hire someone smarter...a good leader always hires smarter people than himself.
I agree with much of this, though I'm not yet at a point at thinking the reality won't be brutal.

But you do know that WHO is that organization?
Perhaps the lesson is to greatly expand that organization's resources, not cut them the way the Trump Admin was doing.
Sure looks like that would be smart.

Likewise for all international orgs...the world is interconnected whether we like it or not.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:20 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:26 am
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?
Do you know that it wasn't ? You think people inside DoD were not planning for contingencies ? Recalling the reservist med staff will likely be the long pole in the tent. Many will probably trickle in after the ship is pierside in NYC.

Don't expect you to have that answer, Salty.
I think we all know the answer, we were "fiddling".

Glad it's in motion now.
Sure, we know that it certainly wasn't made at the White House level 3 weeks ago...I think you may be saying, however, that the military folks may have had their heads screwed on right and got this moving 3 weeks ago on their own?

Sure, that's possible, but then your estimate of how long it would take to get from "cold" to "warm" should start from that point, not today, right?

I'm not saying that no one at DoD was at least thinking about contingency planning weeks ago, heck I sure hope some folks were doing so, but the decision to actually move from "cold" asap does not at least sound like it had already been made.

This feels like an Occam's Razor situation.

It also appears that when the announcement was made, the WH didn't understand that the ship wasn't actually ready...or they chose to BS it despite knowing.

EDIT: Saw your update re McCaffrey's comment yesterday..He's not saying that the DoD got orders 3 weeks ago...indeed, just a week ago the reporting out of DoD was that they were waiting for orders re COVID 19. It's indeed good news that they've at least gotten orders this week.

I'd note that NY Gov Cuomo was loudly calling for military help on Saturday and the WH looked like deer in the head lights on that call...
You don't make the decision to deploy the Hospital Ships until you determine that it's worth the impact of removing the medical staff from their regular positions.

You don't know where the hot spot will be. Only recently did NYC overtake Seattle as the biggest hot spot. Hopefully the benefit of sending the Comfort there outweighs the negative impact of pulling the med staff from all the E Coast hospitals. Otherwise, deploying the Comfort is just a PR placebo to mollify Cuomo.

They still haven't decided where to send the Mercy. Puget Sound or the Bay area ?
ok, so the decision was made this week.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

“No discussions occurred between WHO and CDC about WHO providing COVID-19 tests to the United States,” said WHO spokesperson Margaret Harris. “This is consistent with experience since the United States does not ordinarily rely on WHO for reagents or diagnostic tests because of sufficient domestic capacity.”

Salty we can make that case over and over but will get nowhere.

Google "Trump refuses WHO Coronavirus Test"—I stopped 6 pages in—stories from every media outlet All confirming the lie.

Same with the claim Trump fired the only person at the White House that could've stopped/managed/understood the coronavirus epidemic.

They print the lie. Reprint the lie. Then amplify the lie across all platforms. In most cases using the same vocabulary.

Then will get a media run poll that says a majority of Americans believe the lie.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Pretty much everyone was OK with the Chinese Coronavirus when we thought it was a regional virus. Probably comforted us. The name reminded us that it's way over there. Now that the virus is far from regional to China or even Asia, calling it a Chinese Coronavirus doesn't make sense. It's a Coronavirus.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:25 am
“No discussions occurred between WHO and CDC about WHO providing COVID-19 tests to the United States,” said WHO spokesperson Margaret Harris. “This is consistent with experience since the United States does not ordinarily rely on WHO for reagents or diagnostic tests because of sufficient domestic capacity.”

Salty we can make that case over and over but will get nowhere.

Google "Trump refuses WHO Coronavirus Test"—I stopped 6 pages in—stories from every media outlet All confirming the lie.

Same with the claim Trump fired the only person at the White House that could've stopped/managed/understood the coronavirus epidemic.

They print the lie. Reprint the lie. Then amplify the lie across all platforms. In most cases using the same vocabulary.

Then will get a media run poll that says a majority of Americans believe the lie.
6ft, did you read my response to Salty and this report, which looks fair to me?

Let me add...who made the decision to stick with the US test protocol, described as 'more complicated' instead of adopting the German model chosen by WHO?

Who maintained that position when the test manufacturing went awry and the tests had to be recalled?

Who didn't immediately approve the States' developed testing?

Who continued to stick with the US model rather than turning to the WHO/German model which was demonstrating mass production and surveillance testing capacity?

Did ANYONE at the White House challenge these decisions at any step of the process?

I'd agree with the report's conclusion that Biden's specific language was "mostly false" but my questions remain the ones actually pertinent.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 am Pretty much everyone was OK with the Chinese Coronavirus when we thought it was a regional virus. Probably comforted us. The name reminded us that it's way over there. Now that the virus is far from regional to China or even Asia, calling it a Chinese Coronavirus doesn't make sense. It's a Coronavirus.
Or more properly and specifically COVID-19.
There are other coronaviruses.

Return to “POLITICS”