All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?
Do you know that it wasn't ? You think people inside DoD were not planning for contingencies ?

Don't expect you to have that answer, Salty.
I think we all know the answer, we were "fiddling".

Glad it's in motion now.
Do you know that it was?
🤡
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:05 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?
Do you know that it wasn't ? You think people inside DoD were not planning for contingencies ?

Glad it's in motion now.
Do you know that it was?
🤡
I don't know. Ask the Tom Brady of Mon morning QB's. He appears certain the Navy was fiddling & is grateful that it's finally in motion now.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Glad it's in motion now.
Do you know that it was?
🤡
I don't know. Ask the Tom Brady of Mon morning QB's. He appears certain the Navy was fiddling & is grateful that it's finally in motion now.
🤡
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Glad it's in motion now.
Do you know that it was?
🤡
🤡
"fiddling"
https://news.usni.org/2020/03/18/trump- ... st-support

New York officials anticipate the peak demand for medical services in about 45 days...
Last edited by old salt on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Thanks
“I wish you would!”
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Despite Doc Barristers gentle efforts to talk me off the 'what do I do????' ledge, I have been watching serious TV channels and surfing the internet because as far as I can tell our federal government is planning to progressively shut down our economy. Did anyone else hear Bill Ackmans rant on CNBC today? Even Cramer was using his air time to advocate for a solution that is way WAY to the left of his usual positioning.

Here's what I have gathered:

There are more people at risk than I had imagined. Back when I studied economics, the population of people over 65 (with fragile immuno defenses due to age) was rather small. Now it's like 15% of the population.

45 million or so?

1.2 million people are living with AIDS/HIV but have compromised immune systems.

17 million households (how many people?) are vulnerable because of inadequate diets. The malnourished.

2 million or so getting chemotherapy.

Maybe 3 million of the 20 to 50 million people taking immuno-suppresive drugs are vulnerable.

So, like roughly 65 to 70 million people are looking at at least a hospital visit with a ventilator if they catch this. There aren't 70 million hospital rooms or ventilators. There aren't ONE million properly staffed hospital rooms with ventilators!!

THAT'S the problem. Solutions?

We don't have a vaccine. A biological wall that protects all those treated is a year away if we're lucky.

Our generous inventory of antibiotics is useless against a virus. Even I knew that. But our portfolio of antivirals has proven impotent.

There is an antimalarial drug that has shown promise, but the inventory is slender and the manufacturing can't ramp up easily. Plus it's approved as an anti-malarial.

A few aggressive labs have treatments that should work on paper, but pharmaceuticals don't go from 'on paper' to 'adequate supply' in less than a couple of dozen months. (FDA has promised to expedite.......12 months?)

So there are 50 million people that have WAY worse than the 95% survival rate that include healthy folks like us. They're people in circulation, and circulation infects people. Eventually.

I haven't been able to get data on the survival rate, or the hospitalization term for ImmunoCompromised survivors. But we have at least 50 million fellow citizens who come into this spitshow with no functional defenses. We can hospitalize 20% and ventilate 5% if we kick everyone else out of hospitals but if they all get infected at once and soon, we'll lose some significant percentage of some significant percentage.

NOW I get it. :shock: :o :shock:
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Respectfully, we should remove the “Chinese” in this thread’s title.

World health officials warn against using phrases like 'Chinese virus'

The World Health Organization on Wednesday addressed President Trump's use of the term "Chinese virus" when referring to the coronavirus.

"It's really important that we be careful in the language we use, lest it lead to profiling of individuals associated with the virus," Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO's health emergencies program, said during a media briefing.

"The pandemic of influenza in 2009 originated in North America, and we didn't call it the North American flu," Ryan added.

The WHO previously released guidelines for naming diseases, which recommends avoiding proper names of the people who first identified the pathogens, animals associated with the illness, or places where they were discovered.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... BlogHeader

It’s a not-so-subtle form of racial profiling and we shouldn’t be doing it here.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What’s old may be new for drug treatment. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybethpf ... ssion=true
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:34 pm Despite Doc Barristers gentle efforts to talk me off the 'what do I do????' ledge, I have been watching serious TV channels and surfing the internet because as far as I can tell our federal government is planning to progressively shut down our economy. Did anyone else hear Bill Ackmans rant on CNBC today? Even Cramer was using his air time to advocate for a solution that is way WAY to the left of his usual positioning.

There are more people at risk than I had imagined. Back when I studied economics, the population of people over 65 (with fragile immuno defenses due to age) was rather small. Now it's like 15% of the population.

45 million or so?

1.2 million people are living with AIDS/HIV but have compromised immune systems.

17 million households (how many people?) are vulnerable because of inadequate diets. The malnourished.

Maybe 3 million of the 20 to 50 million people taking immuno-suppresive drugs are vulnerable.

So, like roughly 65 to 70 million people are looking at at least a hospital visit with a ventilator if they catch this. There aren't 70 million hospital rooms or ventilators. There aren't ONE million properly staffed hospital rooms with ventilators!!

We don't have a vaccine. A biological wall that protects all those treated is a year away if we're lucky.

Our generous inventory of antibiotics is useless against a virus. Even I knew that. But our portfolio of antivirals has proven impotent.

There is an antimalarial drug that has shown promise, but the inventory is slender and the manufacturing can't ramp up easily. Plus it's approved as an anti-malarial.

A few aggressive labs have treatments that should work on paper, but pharmaceuticals don't go from 'on paper' to 'adequate supply' in less than a couple of dozen months. (FDA has promised to expedite.......12 months?)

So there are 50 million people that have WAY worse than the 95% survival rate that include healthy folks like us. They're people in circulation, and circulation infects people. Eventually.

I haven't been able to get data on the survival rate, or the hospitalization term for ImmunoCompromised survivors. But we have at least 50 million fellow citizens who come into this spitshow with no functional defenses. We can hospitalize 20% and ventilate 5% if we kick everyone else out of hospitals but if they all get infected at once and soon, we'll lose some significant percentage of some significant percentage.

i heard it- it was disjointed, breathless, and smacked of "why is no one listening to me?". i get it; he's an important guy with an audience, and he's passionate about this topic, and he wants to help.

as of the substance of it- i dunno. he seems to be in love with hiltons near govt nerve centers. above my pay grade.

i noticed they couldnt even cut to commercial, it was so raw.

he actually said sh1t show on live TV and well, it was, in fact, live TV.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

Decided to tune into Fox. VDH on TV. What a loser.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:34 pm Despite Doc Barristers gentle efforts to talk me off the 'what do I do????' ledge, I have been watching serious TV channels and surfing the internet because as far as I can tell our federal government is planning to progressively shut down our economy. Did anyone else hear Bill Ackmans rant on CNBC today? Even Cramer was using his air time to advocate for a solution that is way WAY to the left of his usual positioning.

45 million or so?

I did not watch the show. I will tell you that the antibiotics may be relevant. Most of the dead seem to catch pneumonia and that is the actual cause of death. That was the claim a week of so ago. No matter, it is not pretty.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:04 pm What’s old may be new for drug treatment. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybethpf ... ssion=true
Initial results look promising.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

US has passed both South Korea and France in terms of the number of cases. Over 9300. 32 New deaths. Mortality rate still hanging at 1.6%
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:04 pm US has passed both South Korea and France in terms of the number of cases. Over 9300. 32 New deaths. Mortality rate still hanging at 1.6%
New cases are growing exponentially in the United States.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... 0-n1157271

In two weeks, we could surpass Italy. In six weeks, we could surpass China. Within three weeks, we could begin seeing 100+ coronavirus deaths a day.

Remember, the 32 deaths generally reflect the infections that took place several weeks ago.

Hopefully, current social distancing measures will begin reducing the rate of new cases within several weeks. If that doesn’t happen, we need to go into a nationwide lockdown immediately.

If the Trump administration doesn’t get testing fully up to speed soon, it could be the United States that is the nightmare scenario, not Italy.

DocBarrister :|
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm Appreciate all the hard work Congress and Senate was getting done in Nov-Jan while Corona was ravaging China and prepping to spread globally.
This a national security issue, squarely in the domain of the executive branch.

Trump disbanded the White House pandemic response team in 2018 the day after one of its members said publicly that pandemics don't stop at borders.

That's the kind of leadership we have now. That's the kind of leadership you support.
Me? You missed the whole point of my post. This isn't about me and who I support. It's about our government officials (including Trump) being even remotely capable.

Support: Verb. Give assistance to; enable to function or act.

So, the time/energy wasted by senate and congress waging a partisan impeachment war, and dragging the whole executive branch/staff into their fray for months was generally helpful and supportive of the Executive Branch EXACTLY when Corona was exploding in China?

I said it before, and I'll repeat it now. The impeachment was all a huge waste of time, energy and resources. And it's even more so apparent now that we know what we all should have been focused on. Our elected officials are a55 hats and were all bickering over bull, trying to save face and play politics, instead of preparing and protecting the country.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:30 am
CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm Appreciate all the hard work Congress and Senate was getting done in Nov-Jan while Corona was ravaging China and prepping to spread globally.
This a national security issue, squarely in the domain of the executive branch.

Trump disbanded the White House pandemic response team in 2018 the day after one of its members said publicly that pandemics don't stop at borders.

That's the kind of leadership we have now. That's the kind of leadership you support.
Me? You missed the whole point of my post. This isn't about me and who I support. It's about our government officials (including Trump) being even remotely capable.

Support: Verb. Give assistance to; enable to function or act.

So, the time/energy wasted by senate and congress waging a partisan impeachment war, and dragging the whole executive branch/staff into their fray for months was generally helpful and supportive of the Executive Branch EXACTLY when Corona was exploding in China?

I said it before, and I'll repeat it now. The impeachment was all a huge waste of time, energy and resources. And it's even more so apparent now that we know what we all should have been focused on. Our elected officials are a55 hats and were all bickering over bull, trying to save face and play politics, instead of preparing and protecting the country.
That impeachment was entirely Trump’s fault. He committed multiple crimes and abused his office.

God ... you sound like one of those pathetic Nixon apologists.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Interesting virus tracking technology - old technology, new application.

Kinsa Thermometers.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No new coronavirus cases in Wuhan, China, where global pandemic began:

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-wuhan ... b6232.html
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Timeline: The early days of China's coronavirus outbreak and cover-up:

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-earl ... 5faab.html
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

China going on the offensive to rewrite the narrative that the global epidemic is Beijing's fault:

https://www.axios.com/beijings-coronavi ... d6a14.html

Return to “POLITICS”