All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:45 pm Interesting tidbit: Avoid taking ibuprofen for COVID-19 symptoms: WHO

https://www.yahoo.com/news/avoid-taking ... 07508.html
Doctors in the US have been down on NSAIDS for a while. Had heard this COVID-19 issue news a couple days ago. NSAIDS are known to cause shortness of breath and high blood pressure. I think most doctors who have older patients with high blood pressure are telling them to stay away from NSAIDS in general.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:38 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:12 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:51 pm From an earlier discussion:
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm The thing with his presser dog and pony show is, HE COULD HAVE TAKEN ALL OF THESE ACTIONS TWO MONTHS AGO. I don't think the national emergency declaration had to be done then, but it could have been. I am glad he now seems to be moving in the right direction, but it does not make up for ignoring the experts for months, bungling the test kit issue, and the total lack of transparency up until recently and still no where near the needed transparency.
I'd really have to have a timeline, with certainty of facts, to truly buy into your argument. In the grand scheme of things, the US is is in a great spot, and frankly, much of the US virus infiltration came from travelers. All these actions taken today, could not have taken place, because as you noted earlier, testing required blood and (possible stool) samples, whereas now it is a drive-thru swab. You have to respect the fact that we did not get out over our skis and make matters worse with testing that could have been providing inaccurate results.

Thanks for this post JHU.....it does show that shutting travel down from china (23rd - 31st one week later) was crucial...but sadly, the exiting of the Wuhan crew had already set the wheels in motion. And we actually do not know when the announcement came from China that this is a no joke virus. Remember....we offered to get over there ASAP form our CDC/NIAID leader and they (China refused) did not want support. WE also wanted data, they offered none, many here said that data was not needed. Clearly, the data would have been worthy, and could have possibly expedited responses.
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:37 pm Corona Virus Timeline

Late November, Early December: Virus mutates to it's epidemic form as best scientists can determine the date
December: Through the month numerous cases of what was thought to be cold or flu are noted in Wuhan, later identified as epidemic form
January 7: China reported first case definitively tied to the epidemic form
January 13 - 16: Japan and Thailand reported first cases
January 17 - 19: US, Nepal, France, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Vietnam and Taiwan reported first cases
Prior to January 23, no Wuhan lockdown, people traveled from Wuhan to other Chinese cities as follows. The vast majority just going to their homes inside China.
JANUARY 23: China locks down Wuhan and surrounding area - this spread across China as authorities deemed necessary. Included travel interdiction, air, land, water.
JANUARY 31: Trump bans travel from China

Basically locking the barn door.
No, we knew of the need to get tests ready well before January 31. We actually knew of the new virus in December. Alarm bells had already gone off.

We should have been testing all inbound travelers from any areas suspected by at least mid January. We weren't even screening.

Much less throughout February we should have been testing all inbound. And all symptomatic patients and those they came into contact with ala SK over that period. They ramped up high surveillance testing fast.

By January 31 it was way too late to think we'd actually stop spread inside the US by banning travel from just China. Even if we'd done worldwide closed borders by that point it was too late. Already here.

Thus the imperative to have ramped up testing hugely.
Here we go again....God has spoken. You are so irrational.
:lol: :lol: :roll:

Do you think I'm mistaken on some aspect, whether timeline or logic?
You do realize I'm not making it up as I go along, right?
You can not be mistaken....remember, you are god, just read your posts. ;)
I realize all you do is criticize, cast blame, and pile on; essentially play back seat driver.
Plus he is the best damn morning quarterback known to mankind. If we had only handed this over to 72 way back in January he would have had the solution by September of 2019. 72 is just that damn good, just ask him. :lol:
I'd have given the ball to 72 or a fan...sure would have been preferable to those who actually had the ball.

Listen, none of want to have been correct about this. We emphatically wish we'd been wrong.
People really will be dying at a greater rate and there's going to be far more financial pain that most have yet imagined.
We'd be far happier if that wasn't the case.

We continue to hope (and for some us, pray) that the situation improves. I don't care whether that's because our government makes the right moves, whether it's because people actually sacrifice for their fellow citizens, whether the scientists find a 'cure', whether the virus mutates or whatever.

This personal attack stuff between us here (from any direction), however, is just the answer for those not willing to engage with logic and facts, civilly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:58 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:45 pm Interesting tidbit: Avoid taking ibuprofen for COVID-19 symptoms: WHO

https://www.yahoo.com/news/avoid-taking ... 07508.html
Doctors in the US have been down on NSAIDS for a while. Had heard this COVID-19 issue news a couple days ago. NSAIDS are known to cause shortness of breath and high blood pressure. I think most doctors who have older patients with high blood pressure are telling them to stay away from NSAIDS in general.
That's correct.
It's not specific to this issue, but because there's certainly an overlap with high blood pressure risk, it's a good instruction.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

So the naval hospital he promised today is months away from getting to NYC and the DPA is not being invoked but could be down the line?!?

Trump’s lies are killing people.
Attachments
5D22EB70-9F56-4A47-AE97-A1B09D56100E.png
5D22EB70-9F56-4A47-AE97-A1B09D56100E.png (151.54 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Last edited by Trinity on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:02 pm So the naval hospital he promised today is months away from getting to NYC and the DPA is not being invoked but could be down the line?!?
where are you hearing that?

Obviously that would make todays' announcements just empty PR.
Which has a tendency to backfire.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“I only signed the Defense Production Act to combat the Chinese Virus should we need to invoke it in a worst case scenario in the future. Hopefully there will be no need, but we are all in this TOGETHER! “ DJTrump
Last edited by Trinity on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

And the hospital ships are under repair. Navy says they’ve not ready.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tr ... y-n1163081
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 pm And the hospital ships are under repair. Navy says they’ve not ready.

IIRC, same thing happened with Katrina.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 pm And the hospital ships are under repair. Navy says they’ve not ready.

Doesn't sound like months, more like weeks, but it's not clear.

Did they just think of this issue this week?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 pm “I only signed the Defense Production Act to combat the Chinese Virus should we need to invoke it in a worst case scenario in the future. Hopefully there will be no need, but we are all in this TOGETHER! “ DJTrump
I did pick up on that as he announced that one...but he's still stepping on the message. The better approach would have been to say that they're identifying all critical supply issues and will be addressing them swiftly as evaluated.

Same thing as of today, but way different posture.
This makes it sound (likely correctly) that this was just a PR response.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Administration is just now looking at how military and VA can help. As I understand it, VA director has been jumping up and down saying they can help for a few weeks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:20 pm Administration is just now looking at how military and VA can help. As I understand it, VA director has been jumping up and down saying they can help for a few weeks.
Pushed by the Governors, perhaps?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The first coronavirus case in the U.S. and South Korea was detected on the same day. By late January, Seoul had medical companies starting to work on a diagnostic test — one was approved a week later. Today, the U.S. isn’t even close to meeting test demand.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:53 pm The first coronavirus case in the U.S. and South Korea was detected on the same day. By late January, Seoul had medical companies starting to work on a diagnostic test — one was approved a week later. Today, the U.S. isn’t even close to meeting test demand.
That is a piece of information that I did not know.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

6 ft., watch the profanity, watch the personal attacks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:15 pm Neither ship has a medical staff. Salty? How long will that take to assemble?
Several weeks. Maybe longer. The Comfort's med staff is made up of E Coast Naval Reservists & active duty hospital staff from Walter Reed/Bethesda, Portsmouth Naval Hospital & Navy base clinics along the E coast. Complicating their recall Is the impact that depriving them will have on where they work, particularly those in civilian hospitals. The plan is for the Comfort & Mercy to provide extra capacity for non-COVID patients to free up beds in hospitals ashore.

I heard that Comfort will be underway in Apr. That's not unreasonable, going from "cold iron", torn apart for a planned maint period.
Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?

Don't expect you to have that answer, Salty.
I think we all know the answer, we were "fiddling".

Glad it's in motion now.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Lets line our pockets. Kushner is at it again. Another circle jerk of his. He is leading a team of private industry folks to put together drive by / in testing centers. He has a couple big name companies on the retail side of the effort and a little medical IT company on the technology side. The IT company profile indicates to me it is a poor representative of a real medical IT company. I will bet any amount that Kushner owns stock in the medical IT company or has options. I have seen this play dozens of time in the industry.

In any case he / they are pissing off people who are trying to get real work done.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Sounds right (and thanks for the insight)...of course then the question becomes: Why wasn't this decision to go from "cold iron" made 3 weeks ago?
Do you know that it wasn't ? You think people inside DoD were not planning for contingencies ? Recalling the reservist med staff will likely be the long pole in the tent. Many will probably trickle in after the ship is pierside in NYC.

Don't expect you to have that answer, Salty.
I think we all know the answer, we were "fiddling".

Glad it's in motion now.
Last edited by old salt on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”