All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:37 pm Corona Virus Timeline

Late November, Early December: Virus mutates to it's epidemic form as best scientists can determine the date
December: Through the month numerous cases of what was thought to be cold or flu are noted in Wuhan, later identified as epidemic form
January 7: China reported first case definitively tied to the epidemic form
January 13 - 16: Japan and Thailand reported first cases
January 17 - 19: US, Nepal, France, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Vietnam and Taiwan reported first cases
Prior to January 23, no Wuhan lockdown, people traveled from Wuhan to other Chinese cities as follows. The vast majority just going to their homes inside China.
JANUARY 23: China locks down Wuhan and surrounding area - this spread across China as authorities deemed necessary. Included travel interdiction, air, land, water.
JANUARY 31: Trump bans travel from China

Basically locking the barn door.
January 31 is when the Trump administration should have ramped everything up ... working on obtaining tests kits, initiating public warnings, putting together response teams from FEMA, getting Americans home from inflicted regions, initiating discussions with state and local officials, coordinating with other nations ... none of which happened.

If the problem is big enough to warrant major travel restrictions, then it is big enough to initiate other major actions.

Trump failed. His administration failed. End of discussion.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

From an earlier discussion:
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm The thing with his presser dog and pony show is, HE COULD HAVE TAKEN ALL OF THESE ACTIONS TWO MONTHS AGO. I don't think the national emergency declaration had to be done then, but it could have been. I am glad he now seems to be moving in the right direction, but it does not make up for ignoring the experts for months, bungling the test kit issue, and the total lack of transparency up until recently and still no where near the needed transparency.
I'd really have to have a timeline, with certainty of facts, to truly buy into your argument. In the grand scheme of things, the US is is in a great spot, and frankly, much of the US virus infiltration came from travelers. All these actions taken today, could not have taken place, because as you noted earlier, testing required blood and (possible stool) samples, whereas now it is a drive-thru swab. You have to respect the fact that we did not get out over our skis and make matters worse with testing that could have been providing inaccurate results.

Thanks for this post JHU.....it does show that shutting travel down from china (23rd - 31st one week later) was crucial...but sadly, the exiting of the Wuhan crew had already set the wheels in motion. And we actually do not know when the announcement came from China that this is a no joke virus. Remember....we offered to get over there ASAP form our CDC/NIAID leader and they (China refused) did not want support. WE also wanted data, they offered none, many here said that data was not needed. Clearly, the data would have been worthy, and could have possibly expedited responses.

Late November, Early December: Virus mutates to it's epidemic form as best scientists can determine the date
December: Through the month numerous cases of what was thought to be cold or flu are noted in Wuhan, later identified as epidemic form
January 17 - 19: US, Nepal, France, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Vietnam and Taiwan reported first cases
Prior to January 23, no Wuhan lockdown, people traveled from Wuhan to other Chinese cities as follows. The vast majority just going to their homes inside China.
JANUARY 23: China locks down Wuhan and surrounding area - this spread across China as authorities deemed necessary. Included travel interdiction, air, land, water.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:12 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:40 pm NBC reporting that todate only 59,000 test have been run in the US. --> .02% of the population

7324 cases reported --> 12.4% of tested are found to be positive
115 deaths --> 1.6% of reported, die

Given the testing guideline, those being tested are not randomly sampled, but rather thought to have a high probability of being found positive. Asymptomatic individuals are not being tested.

-------
Stock market has now given up all gains during Trump first term. Trading halted again.
Actually that percentage seems to be a good sign to me that testing symptomatic people is only yielding 12% infection. That occurred to me as well, but haven't thought about it a lot. cannot compare that to China and SK as they were testing everybody

some notable info from the HS forum from a health professional
Post by pcowlax » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:58 pm
Continuing my tour of gloom across all of the boards on here that I read. As a medical professional with a pretty good look behind the curtain here, schools will not reopen this year. Not ISL, not MIAA, not CT, not West-1, not colleges, nothing. The big question for me is the fall. These extreme measures we are taking now will work. Cases are going to fall much faster and the peak will be much more manageable than it would otherwise be. The warmer weather will also help with the spread. Come fall, people will be coming out of their caves and kids will be back in school. But..... The virus will not have been eradicated. Once people socialize again and it cools, it will storm back. Then what? Close schools again? Lock everything down again? I don’t think socially or economically that will be feasible. The public will only go along with one bite at this apple. There will not be a vaccine yet. The one hope, which I think is very feasible, is that there will be several treatments (already existing drugs used off label, several already showing promise) that will allow people to interact in a way where transmission is possible because the fear will be reduced with the knowledge that it is treatable. Hope for that.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm My only concern is Trump (or some other authoritarian populist with a cult-like following in a future such situation) taking the truly extra-legal steps to secure power in the face of an actual emergency.
I frankly don’t see that. As of January 20, 2021, Trump is no longer president (unless he were to be reelected, of course). He would no longer be commander in chief. He would no longer have the nuclear football. Are you saying the military would disregard the constitution and would follow Trump? I don’t think so. I think they would turn their allegiance immediately to the new president, whomever that may be above under the scenario I sketched out above.

Similarly, I don’t think the other government institutions would follow Trump. Perhaps a few isolated individuals would, but the vast majority, including the rank and file who actually operate the mechanisms of government, would not. They would follow, and obey, the new president.

But, fundamentally, we won’t get there. There WILL be an election this year because elections are controlled by the states, not the federal government. All Dem controlled states certainly will have elections. So too will those controlled by Republicans because, as I noted above, state politicians in those dates will be on the ballot as well and will want to be reelected.
oh, I'm 99+% sure you're right.

It's that >1% that bothers me...and whether Trump tries it.
He would be doing so in the context of a major second wave of virus damage next fall and full-on martial law scenario. Riots.

While that's a very remote scenario, I don't have any trust in Trump actually following the Constitution.

Others worry me, but this provision/process does make it clear they'd need to be tossing the constitution in the trash can.

It would need to be a very extreme scenario. But you betcha there will be those who will urge this coming down the stretch.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:49 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 pm Its all we have to go on, which is why I have been logging it directly from the JHU site. Especially since many here simply do not trust CDC.
Sure, but too few people understand that all statistical numbers come with significant errors. Those 115 deaths could have been 125 or 105 or 135 or 95 in different weeks, with exactly the same underlying death rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution
What is your point? we only have the data we have.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:39 pm
CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:40 pm NBC reporting that todate only 59,000 test have been run in the US. --> .02% of the population

7324 cases reported --> 12.4% of tested are found to be positive
115 deaths --> 1.6% of reported, die
The actual reported death is 1.57% based on those numbers....and has been trending down the past couple days, with a blip spike yesterday.
The lowest possible error in that number (based on simple statistics) is +/- (1/√115)*1.57% = +/- 0.15%, so don't focus on the 3rd significant digit. Actual statistical error (from imperfect sampling etc) is undoubtedly much higher.
Its all we have to go on, which is why I have been logging it directly from the JHU site. Especially since many here simply do not trust CDC.
Per recent presser(s), Debbie is claiming they are making an effort to make the CDC website an authoritative source for all testing. Have no idea when that will be. I am sure Debbie will let us know.
Debbie? Debbie?

You're only 50 miles from DC you arrogant pr*ck. Lives are at stake Get over there toss out those idiots. SAVE US!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:22 pm My only concern is Trump (or some other authoritarian populist with a cult-like following in a future such situation) taking the truly extra-legal steps to secure power in the face of an actual emergency.
I frankly don’t see that. As of January 20, 2021, Trump is no longer president (unless he were to be reelected, of course). He would no longer be commander in chief. He would no longer have the nuclear football. Are you saying the military would disregard the constitution and would follow Trump? I don’t think so. I think they would turn their allegiance immediately to the new president, whomever that may be above under the scenario I sketched out above.

Similarly, I don’t think the other government institutions would follow Trump. Perhaps a few isolated individuals would, but the vast majority, including the rank and file who actually operate the mechanisms of government, would not. They would follow, and obey, the new president.

But, fundamentally, we won’t get there. There WILL be an election this year because elections are controlled by the states, not the federal government. All Dem controlled states certainly will have elections. So too will those controlled by Republicans because, as I noted above, state politicians in those dates will be on the ballot as well and will want to be reelected.
I generally agree. However, Trump has already corrupted the DOJ, Department of State, and National Intelligence. He’s been trying to corrupt the Pentagon (e.g., by interfering in the military justice system). Can’t underestimate how dangerous the man and his supporters are to our democracy.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:51 pm From an earlier discussion:
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm The thing with his presser dog and pony show is, HE COULD HAVE TAKEN ALL OF THESE ACTIONS TWO MONTHS AGO. I don't think the national emergency declaration had to be done then, but it could have been. I am glad he now seems to be moving in the right direction, but it does not make up for ignoring the experts for months, bungling the test kit issue, and the total lack of transparency up until recently and still no where near the needed transparency.
I'd really have to have a timeline, with certainty of facts, to truly buy into your argument. In the grand scheme of things, the US is is in a great spot, and frankly, much of the US virus infiltration came from travelers. All these actions taken today, could not have taken place, because as you noted earlier, testing required blood and (possible stool) samples, whereas now it is a drive-thru swab. You have to respect the fact that we did not get out over our skis and make matters worse with testing that could have been providing inaccurate results.

Thanks for this post JHU.....it does show that shutting travel down from china (23rd - 31st one week later) was crucial...but sadly, the exiting of the Wuhan crew had already set the wheels in motion. And we actually do not know when the announcement came from China that this is a no joke virus. Remember....we offered to get over there ASAP form our CDC/NIAID leader and they (China refused) did not want support. WE also wanted data, they offered none, many here said that data was not needed. Clearly, the data would have been worthy, and could have possibly expedited responses.

I have no idea when the CDC made that offer. You can probably find the date, but I would not expect it to be until the second half of January at the earliest. We have had the genome data from China since right after their January 7th case (as soon as they had it). The WHO has commended China for their rapid response in regards to data sharing. I believe they first shared it with WHO, and WHO then distributed it to anyone who wanted it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

No, we knew of the need to get tests ready well before January 31. We actually knew of the new virus in December. Alarm bells had already gone off.

We should have been testing all inbound travelers from any areas suspected by at least mid January. We weren't even screening.

Much less throughout February we should have been testing all inbound. And all symptomatic patients and those they came into contact with ala SK over that period. They ramped up high surveillance testing fast.

By January 31 it was way too late to think we'd actually stop spread inside the US by banning travel from just China. Even if we'd done worldwide closed borders by that point it was too late. Already here.

Thus the imperative to have ramped up testing hugely.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:03 pm

I have no idea when the CDC made that offer. You can probably find the date, but I would not expect it to be until the second half of January at the earliest. We have had the genome data from China since right after their January 7th case (as soon as they had it). The WHO has commended China for their rapid response in regards to data sharing. I believe they first shared it with WHO, and WHO then distributed it to anyone who wanted it.
China good. Trump bad.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Exactly.
The Chinese dealt with the international body set up to do exactly this process, not each major country wanting to send their own scientists in.

That's why WHO exists.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm

China good. Trump bad.
No China bad, Trump stupid.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Bart— Why did I repost a tweet from the head of Harvard’s Global Health Institute about coronavirus on this thread? Because the President is giving his team a 10 and I don’t think they’ve earned that. Either does Jha. We’re doing things today we should have done 30 days ago because the Governors of both parties said, “enough.” Jha said every day wasted is huge. They agree. Both parties. Trump’s not a Republican. He’s a kleptocrat.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:04 pm

No, we knew of the need to get tests ready well before January 31. We actually knew of the new virus in December. Alarm bells had already gone off.

We should have been testing all inbound travelers from any areas suspected by at least mid January. We weren't even screening.

Much less throughout February we should have been testing all inbound. And all symptomatic patients and those they came into contact with ala SK over that period. They ramped up high surveillance testing fast.

By January 31 it was way too late to think we'd actually stop spread inside the US by banning travel from just China. Even if we'd done worldwide closed borders by that point it was too late. Already here.

Here we go again....God has spoken. You are so irrational.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

MDLF76:
Not fully bought-in yet.

Country remains of two minds based on what news feeds one's been listening to over the past two months.
.:roll:. ...give it a rest. FNC is telling people what they need to do, airing fed, state & local leaders, shaming bar patrons & spring break beachgoers.

A lot more useful info than the nonstop Trump bashing on MSNBC & CNN.
calourie

Post by calourie »

It would really be really useful and we would make a lot more headway if we would just call this virus by its appropriate name: THE CHINESE-WUHAN-KUNG FU-YELLOW PERIL virus. What is wrong with you people?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:07 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm

China good. Trump bad.
No China bad, Trump stupid.
Some people just have trouble with the fact that the universe doesn't circle around the US.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:12 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:04 pm

Here we go again....God has spoken. You are so irrational.
:lol: :lol: :roll:

Do you think I'm mistaken on some aspect, whether timeline or logic?
You do realize I'm not making it up as I go along, right?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:14 pm
MDLF76:
Not fully bought-in yet.

Country remains of two minds based on what news feeds one's been listening to over the past two months.
.:roll:. ...give it a rest. FNC is telling people what they need to do, airing fed, state & local leaders, shaming bar patrons & spring break beachgoers.

A lot more useful info than the nonstop Trump bashing on MSNBC & CNN.
Ohh, FoxNation is scolding some kids now?

Hey, it's terrific that Fox is beginning to get with the program of covering this challenge more head on.
I'm all for it.

But they and Trump himself are still trying to suggest that the Trump team have everything under control, all is fine, nothing to see here...everybody gets a blue ribbon.

Nope, we're still not coming to grips with the urgency.
Not even close.
which is why that polling about whether the virus is a serious issue is so polarized still.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

calourie wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:18 pm It would really be really useful and we would make a lot more headway if we would just call this virus by its appropriate name: THE CHINESE-WUHAN-KUNG FU-YELLOW PERIL virus. What is wrong with you people?
:D

Return to “POLITICS”