All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:15 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 am Look at the timeline for this thing. On this thread. What would Hillary or any other president/staff have done differently? What warning would the American people have heeded?

We’ve been talking about this seriously for the past week and a half as a legit war/crisis and yesterday Ft Walton Beach was packed.

What is testing going to do? Even if the tests weren’t screwed up? The level of testing needed (to test others than those showing symptoms) wouldn't have been possible.

At this point, if you are showing any signs whatsoever, assume you have Corona: tell everyone you know and have been in close contact with. Isolate no matter what.
In this case I am 100% certain a Clinton administration would have understood their options when informed that the WHO had a test kit working and were told we could use that, but the FDA will have to be ordered to expedite clearance. The Clinton administration would not have been short handed, playing musical chairs at the cabinet level. They would have had people familiar with the processes (and believed in them) involved. They would have been a normal administration. Not one of Acting Secretary of Muster Seed Inspections.
I think it's fair to suggest that the political instinct may well have been to try to be reassuring. I'd not have wholly surprised if the hypothetical Clinton Administration had given us ample reason to critique.

But I think you're quite correct that they'd have been well staffed and would have listened to the scientists with fully open ears. And that would have led to earlier action and earlier communication about the seriousness of the challenge.

They most certainly wouldn't have rejected using WHO tests, at least as a stop gap.
I am certain we would have had some critique of the Clinton administration. The real point is, we have and are paying the price for an administration committed to doing things differently. Shaking things up. Seeing no use in anything that has gone before. Thinking all civil servants are unnecessary moochers. Any normal administration would have done a better job early on.

They now seem to be catching on to how the processes work and things are moving in a better direction. The evidence for that is the ROCHE episode, even though they spun a false narrative.

PS: Orange Duce just used the mnemonic FDA in a whole sentence, that actually made sense.
Last edited by jhu72 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am
Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:54 am The number of cases doesn't really seem to be growing that fast.
What I worry about is that either the coronavirus doesn't spread as well as expected or the efforts to flatten the curve work too well. Then we have to live in this lockdown status for months.
Yikes, Cooter.
You've seen the Italy graph?

How about the US?

"that fast" ???

But yeah, assuming that we do flatten the curve enough to prevent the health care system being entirely overwhelmed, you can expect significant disruption to normal behaviors for many months. It's going to be a rolling serious of smaller waves for the next 18 months.

But it's going to even worse if we don't flatten that curve.
No. Let's see, here is Italy's graph:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/
31,506 is actually a relatively small number compared to a population of 60,000,000. It would not be any significant dent in the number who were not immune to the disease.
Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:03 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 am Look at the timeline for this thing. On this thread. What would Hillary or any other president/staff have done differently? What warning would the American people have heeded?

We’ve been talking about this seriously for the past week and a half as a legit war/crisis and yesterday Ft Walton Beach was packed.

What is testing going to do? Even if the tests weren’t screwed up? The level of testing needed (to test others than those showing symptoms) wouldn't have been possible.

At this point, if you are showing any signs whatsoever, assume you have Corona: tell everyone you know and have been in close contact with. Isolate no matter what.
In this case I am 100% certain a Clinton administration would have understood their options when informed that the WHO had a test kit working and were told we could use that, but the FDA will have to be ordered to expedite clearance. The Clinton administration would not have been short handed, playing musical chairs at the cabinet level. They would have had people familiar with the processes (and believed in them) involved. They would have been a normal administration. Not one of Acting Secretary of Muster Seed Inspections.
I think it's fair to suggest that the political instinct may well have been to try to be reassuring. I'd not have wholly surprised if the hypothetical Clinton Administration had given us ample reason to critique.

But I think you're quite correct that they'd have been well staffed and would have listened to the scientists with fully open ears. And that would have led to earlier action and earlier communication about the seriousness of the challenge.

They most certainly wouldn't have rejected using WHO tests, at least as a stop gap.
I am certain we would have had some critique of the Clinton administration. The real point is, we have and are paying the price for an administration committed to doing things differently. Shaking things up. Seeing no use in anything that has gone before. Thinking all civil servants are unnecessary moochers. Any normal administration would have done a better job early on.

They now seem to be catching on to how the processes work and things are moving in a better direction. The evidence for that is the ROCHE episode, even though they spun a false narrative.
I also think we're seeing some clarity from Treasury.
Haven't seen the Fox News financial advisor on TV is a bit, just Mnuchin and the tone is very action oriented and he's apparently telling Congress the straight, tough news of how brutal this will be if they don't support financial stimulus.

I think it's still too little, but important forward steps.

But here goes Trump with first sentence "Chinese Virus"...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:05 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:54 am The number of cases doesn't really seem to be growing that fast.
What I worry about is that either the coronavirus doesn't spread as well as expected or the efforts to flatten the curve work too well. Then we have to live in this lockdown status for months.
Yikes, Cooter.

How about the US?

"that fast" ???

But yeah, assuming that we do flatten the curve enough to prevent the health care system being entirely overwhelmed, you can expect significant disruption to normal behaviors for many months. It's going to be a rolling serious of smaller waves for the next 18 months.

31,506 is actually a relatively small number compared to a population of 60,000,000. It would not be any significant dent in the number who were not immune to the disease.
You do see the slope, right?
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 am
6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 am
Bart wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 am
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am : “This is such a rapidly moving infection that losing a few days is bad, and losing a couple of weeks is terrible,” Jha said. “Losing 2 months is close to disastrous, and that’s what we did.”

Ashish Jha. Harvard Global Health Institute
I know this is a political forum and everything here is seen through a political lens. Just curious, what is the point of postings like this? It is like the constant update of number of infected and then saying all Republicans are bad. What does it accomplish?

I think we can all agree every (I actually do not know....every is MY word) scientific expert who deals with this type of stuff as a livelihood will come out at some point and say we should have acted quicker...............

You are free to post what you like. In all honesty, it really does not bother me but I find it curious. What is the end game of it all?
Bart,
I think you've been striking a really good tone.
Hopes and wishes that all involved will make good decisions going forward.

However, this is NOT happening, even today.
And there's, unfortunately, no basis to expect that to be the case tomorrow.
We're simply moving too slowly...so demanding faster by putting a spotlight on those dragging their feet by lighting up their past BS is potentially helpful.

Note that there many who think Trump and co really did all the right things, and are doing all the right things now, though we're still way, way too slow.

No, this is not "all Republicans"...I'm one R who doesn't buy the BS, but the % who don't think Covid-19 is "serious" is a majority of R's, a 50:50 split among I's... heck, only 87% of D's!

Meaning that the level of personal sacrifices necessary to get this from being an immense catastrophe is just not yet there.
Bart Good tone BUT....

Trump may have saved 1000s with his Travel bans BUT....

The team trump assembled from the private and public sector are excellent BUT....

Face it. Trump just sucks. And no matter how that continued unsubstantiated message confuses this situation the left will continue to disparage and lie about the administrations performance. No buts about it.
You have no proof that closing the border to the Chinese had any impact at all over and above the Chinese lookdown in their own country. Same for Europe, they weren't flooding this country. These likely had / have some small impact, but no where near the impact you and Orange Duce think. Once the virus is in the US and spreading, this vector is the biggest contributor to the spread, not international travel from a locked down country. My stated position is one of neutrality. It doesn't hurt, but they are not having a huge impact.

Having said that, now that the Chinese have loosened their lockdown internally, we will see what happens there without worrying about any effect here.
Dr Fauci you know him I assume——just another TRUMP IDIOT.

"Clearly, early on, we made a travel ban with regard to China -- that was a very smart move right there," he said in an interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe," "because what that did was prevent a major influx from China."

Today, said Fauci, the focus is on Europe, which is now "seeding other countries throughout the world."

"That's the reason why we made the very difficult, but appropriate, decision to have a travel ban on the European countries," said Fauci, who has been the director since 1984 of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.

"So we are definitely ahead of the curve on that," he said.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09 pm
Yikes, Cooter.

How about the US?

"that fast" ???

The number of new cases appears to have been relatively constant the last 4 days at ~3500.
Hopefully, Italy has a lot of mild cases that have not been reported.
Live Free or Die!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

No matter what you think of Cuomo, he is doing a good job of keeping the people of NYS well informed and giving a lesson in how NYS government functions. How decisions are made.

Hogan continues to do a good job in Maryland, even though he is a republican. :lol:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Haven't seen the Fox News financial advisor on TV is a bit, just Mnuchin and the tone is very action oriented and he's apparently telling Congress the straight, tough news of how brutal this will be if they don't support financial stimulus.

Where did it originate? Come on take a guess.

Its only wrecked the world economy and put every human in self-quarantine. No big deal to be accurate about its origin
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:18 pm
Trinity wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am : “This is such a rapidly moving infection that losing a few days is bad, and losing a couple of weeks is terrible,” Jha said. “Losing 2 months is close to disastrous, and that’s what we did.”

I know this is a political forum and everything here is seen through a political lens. Just curious, what is the point of postings like this? It is like the constant update of number of infected and then saying all Republicans are bad. What does it accomplish?

I think we can all agree every (I actually do not know....every is MY word) scientific expert who deals with this type of stuff as a livelihood will come out at some point and say we should have acted quicker...............

You are free to post what you like. In all honesty, it really does not bother me but I find it curious. What is the end game of it all?
Bart,

We're simply moving too slowly...so demanding faster by putting a spotlight on those dragging their feet by lighting up their past BS is potentially helpful.

Note that there many who think Trump and co really did all the right things, and are doing all the right things now, though we're still way, way too slow.

No, this is not "all Republicans"...I'm one R who doesn't buy the BS, but the % who don't think Covid-19 is "serious" is a majority of R's, a 50:50 split among I's... heck, only 87% of D's!

Meaning that the level of personal sacrifices necessary to get this from being an immense catastrophe is just not yet there.
Bart Good tone BUT....

The team trump assembled from the private and public sector are excellent BUT....

Face it. Trump just sucks. And no matter how that continued unsubstantiated message confuses this situation the left will continue to disparage and lie about the administrations performance. No buts about it.
You have no proof that closing the border to the Chinese had any impact at all over and above the Chinese lookdown in their own country. Same for Europe, they weren't flooding this country. These likely had / have some small impact, but no where near the impact you and Orange Duce think. Once the virus is in the US and spreading, this vector is the biggest contributor to the spread, not international travel from a locked down country. My stated position is one of neutrality. It doesn't hurt, but they are not having a huge impact.

Having said that, now that the Chinese have loosened their lockdown internally, we will see what happens there without worrying about any effect here.

"Clearly, early on, we made a travel ban with regard to China -- that was a very smart move right there," he said in an interview with MSNBC's "Morning Joe," "because what that did was prevent a major influx from China."

Today, said Fauci, the focus is on Europe, which is now "seeding other countries throughout the world."

"That's the reason why we made the very difficult, but appropriate, decision to have a travel ban on the European countries," said Fauci, who has been the director since 1984 of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health.

Yes I have met Fauci. He is just being politically correct. He knows how the game is played.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:27 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Bart,

Bart Good tone BUT....

Yes I have met Fauci. He is just being politically correct. He knows how the game is played.
Well that remark leaves you out of the conversation from now on
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Its only wrecked the world economy and put every human in self-quarantine. No big deal to be accurate about its origin
You mean like "American Syphilis".
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:29 pm

Or even better the Kansas Flu (the WWI epidemic flu actually originated in KS, but for propaganda reasons it was misnamed the Spanish Flu).
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Could be. But without the preponderance of evidence that comes with the Chinese Virus—that syphilis originated with Native Americans is uncertain.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Or even better the Kansas Flu (the WWI epidemic flu actually originated in KS, but for propaganda reasons it was misnamed the Spanish Flu).
Yep. Spain got the bad rap because they weren't at war, and there was no government censoring of "bad news". So the press reported it widely in Spain. So what disgusting, uncivilized things were Kansans doing?? :lol:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Started in China mutated here went to Europe than came back with US Troops.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Yep. Spain got the bad rap because they weren't at war, and there was no government censoring of "bad news". So the press reported it widely in Spain. So what disgusting, uncivilized things were Kansans doing?? :lol:
Lets just cut to the chase. Trump Virus. Thats what you want to call it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:09 pm
Yikes, Cooter.

How about the US?

"that fast" ???

The number of new cases appears to have been relatively constant the last 4 days at ~3500.
Hopefully, Italy has a lot of mild cases that have not been reported.
Absolutely, ~3500 new cases per day and not increasing exponentially is a great thing. The devil is that they have been in total lock down for a few days? The origins and the "red Zone" have been on lock down considerably longer. IMO, it is case #1 for social distancing.
njbill

Post by njbill »

A few thoughts on this.

As the article noted, only Congress can change (or cancel) the date of the election. So Pelosi, assuming she controls her caucus, has an absolute veto over any attempt to change or cancel the date of the election.

I haven’t looked into the nature and extent of the president’s martial law powers, but I highly doubt they could be used to cancel the election. I don’t think even this Supreme Court would agree to that.

If, speaking hypothetically, the election could be canceled, then I’m not so sure Pelosi would become President under the succession rules. Yes, Trump and Pence would be out of office, and become private citizens, at noon on January 20, 2021. But Pelosi, along with all other members of the House of Representatives, would be out of office as well by early January 2021 (not sure of the exact date) since they would not have been reelected either. Same would be true for 1/3 of the Senate, including Moscow Mitch who is up for reelection this year.

So where would that leave the Senate? There are actually 35 Senate seats up for election this year, including two special elections. 23 of the 35 are Republicans. We are way out over our skis here (and I’ve probably lost everyone but the lawyers by this point), but if the election is not held, then the Senate would be comprised of 35 Dems and 30 Republicans come January. The next in line to succeed the president, after the vice president and speaker of the house, is the president pro tem of the Senate. No, that is not Moscow Mitch. Currently it is Chuck Grassley. Grassley is not up for reelection this year so he will remain in office in 2021. He serves at the pleasure of the Senate so he could be removed from the president pro tem position by the remaining 65 senators. They would need to do that, however, before January 20. Otherwise, I think Grassley would automatically become president. Obviously, the Democratic controlled Senate would do that and replace him with a Dem. If the above scenario is accurate, then there is no way Trump will try to cancel the election.

OK, back to reality. To me the much more realistic issues concern voting locations and mail in ballots. State legislatures would have to amend state laws to allow mail in voting in a number of states. Not sure which ones, but it is a majority of them. I think there would be real motivation to do so because a lot of their little political butts will be up for election in November. Also, I think states could close or move polling locations based on public health concerns. Hopefully they wouldn’t play games with that, but there is a possible opportunity for mischief.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 pm
A few thoughts on this.

As the article noted, only Congress can change (or cancel) the date of the election. So Pelosi, assuming she controls her caucus, has an absolute veto over any attempt to change or cancel the date of the election.

I haven’t looked into the nature and extent of the president’s martial law powers, but I highly doubt they could be used to cancel the election. I don’t think even this Supreme Court would agree to that.

If, speaking hypothetically, the election could be canceled, then I’m not so sure Pelosi would become President under the succession rules. Yes, Trump and Pence would be out of office, and become private citizens, at noon on January 20, 2021. But Pelosi, along with all other members of the House of Representatives, would be out of office as well by early January 2021 (not sure of the exact date) since they would not have been reelected either. Same would be true for 1/3 of the Senate, including Moscow Mitch who is up for reelection this year.

So where would that leave the Senate? There are actually 35 Senate seats up for election this year, including two special elections. 23 of the 35 are Republicans. We are way out over our skis here (and I’ve probably lost everyone but the lawyers by this point), but if the election is not held, then the Senate would be comprised of 35 Dems and 30 Republicans come January. The next in line to succeed the president, after the vice president and speaker of the house, is the president pro tem of the Senate. No, that is not Moscow Mitch. Currently it is Chuck Grassley. Grassley is not up for reelection this year so he will remain in office in 2021. He serves at the pleasure of the Senate so he could be removed from the president pro tem position by the remaining 65 senators. They would need to do that, however, before January 20. Otherwise, I think Grassley would automatically become president. Obviously, the Democratic controlled Senate would do that and replace him with a Dem. If the above scenario is accurate, then there is no way Trump will try to cancel the election.

OK, back to reality. To me the much more realistic issues concern voting locations and mail in ballots. State legislatures would have to amend state laws to allow mail in voting in a number of states. Not sure which ones, but it is a majority of them. I think there would be real motivation to do so because a lot of their little political butts will be up for election in November. Also, I think states could close or move polling locations based on public health concerns. Hopefully they wouldn’t play games with that, but there is a possible opportunity for mischief.
That crossed my mind last night. Nothing would surprise me.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”