All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

old salt

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

MDLF76:
No, had Trump been saying this was very, very serious two months ago and that was the consistently being repeated in the media, social distancing would have long begun, as would have the various shutdowns of sports leagues, etc. Most importantly, had we been testing we'd have known this was much more widespread and growing than we knew...so, the reaction would have been sooner as well.
...& you'd have accused Trump of trying to distract from impeachment & predicting he'd declare martial law & occupy Congress.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:47 pm My point is they are trying to control personal psychological hysteria and anxiety over the stress of of this virus, as well as the virus itself.
C'mon, youth. you know that's not the reason why trump soft-shoed the Coronavirus. #1-It's possible to express the severity of this issue without creating mass panic. #2-Trump's modus operandi literally at all times is to make himself look good. Trump side-stepped the virus for as long as he could because he simply cannot speak to anything negative during his watch. (This is a straight-down-the-middle trait of someone with a Narcissistic Personality Disorder.) If he's involved, It's great! It's perfect! 10! Couldn't have been done better! etc. Trump did what he did because "the greatest president besides, maybe, Lincoln" lives in a fantasy, lives in denial. And that is a major problem. As a consequence, people will lose enormous amounts of $, people will become extremely ill, people will die, lives will be dramatically changed for the bad...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:14 pm ...& you'd have accused Trump of trying to distract from impeachment & predicting he'd declare martial law & occupy Congress.
and then, right now, Trump could've said, I told you so. But he didn't. Instead, we are where we are. Bottomline, Trump did not. And there's no way he would've. Trump pausing to tell the truth even though it might make his fiefdom look even a little negative. No way...
Last edited by Matnum PI on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

:?
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:47 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:59 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:34 pm
I do not blame him one bit, as I posted earlier, this was more about avoiding mass chaos across the country...think looting.
As I said earlier, I am optimistic and believe things will always turn out for the best in the long run. You hard core never trumpers want nothing but failure for our country, simply to justify your arguemnts. Vast difference in my approach, compared to the vas deferens approach. 8-)
I'm trying to keep positive as are many others but not blaming the POTUS one bit?! He did what he did to avoid chaos across the country, looting?! That's not optimism. That's denial. And such a strange rationale for the denial. Looting? Who would be looting?! And why?!
Matnum - we are out of phase in understanding each other’s posts. I have been trying to articulate that if the president came on the tv a couple weeks ago, before any schools, sports, businesses shut the doors and simply said something like....’Effective at sundown tomorrow, you must return to your homes immediately, quarantine for 14 days, places of business where people of numbers Can come into contact will be closed’ You don’t think that would have been worse than what is going on now and that would have not caused pandemonium and likely looting?

My point is they are trying to control personal psychological hysteria and anxiety over the stress of of this virus, as well as the virus itself. Right now the total number of infections globally is only slightly larger than the size of Syracuse.
tested as infected: 197,000.

The US alone will have more than that in 30 days...if we test enough to know.
We're now (finally!) doing 8,200 tests per day...that needs to get to about 100,000 per day asap...then 200k+.
This is going to infect many millions.

No, had Trump been saying this was very, very serious two months ago and that was the consistently being repeated in the media, social distancing would have long begun, as would have the various shutdowns of sports leagues, etc. Most importantly, had we been testing we'd have known this was much more widespread and growing than we knew...so, the reaction would have been sooner as well.
You are assuming the death rate will also increase in unison. We simply do not know that....yet. Positive cases do not equal death. It’d be nice to see the numbers of recovery, but that is lagging much further behind as well because that would also have to test again.
:?

Huh?
The death rate has been pretty consistent, varying really only by how wide the aperture has been on testing (whether just people with the most serious symptoms or also those with little or no symptoms). The best scenario is ballpark 0.6%, worst is above 4%. Meaning at worst 96% "recover" with time.

Ballpark 16% get very sick, needing hospitalization.

Yes, the deaths will grow with the # infected. When all is said and done, the death rate will be in the expected range...absent a mutation of the virus. No sign of that so far, though.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:14 pm
MDLF76:
...& you'd have accused Trump of trying to distract from impeachment & predicting he'd declare martial law & occupy Congress.
Baloney. I understand the science.

I'm still concerned that he'll declare martial law and preempt the elections.
Fingers crossed on that one.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:16 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:14 pm ...& you'd have accused Trump of trying to distract from impeachment & predicting he'd declare martial law & occupy Congress.
and then, right now, Trump could've said, I told you so. But he didn't. Instead, we are where we are. Bottomline, Trump did not. And there's no way he would've. Trump pausing to tell the truth even though it might make his fiefdom look even a little negative. No way...
There's no way Trump, or any President, could have imposed this level of draconian measures 2 mos ago.

Look at the difficulty in getting compliance even now.

Why is the EU doing this after us, rather than before us ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:26 pm
There's no way Trump, or any President, could have imposed this level of draconian measures 2 mos ago.

Sure, after months of propaganda by TrumpNation that the "Chinese virus" and Democrat media "hoax" was "just the flu", "no big deal", "and "young people are not at risk", you're not going to change all human behavior in 2 days of actually saying, "oh yeah, it's serious, yup serious, but we've done a great job".

Which started literally yesterday.

But if the messaging had been consistently and strongly about the seriousness, we'd be much closer to where we need to go.

And will have to go.
ggait

Post by ggait »

I'm still concerned that he'll declare martial law and preempt the elections.
Or maybe a low turnout election (due to continuing the pandemic) winds up being Trump's best chance to win?

Trump base voters probably more likely to vote early or vote by mail. Dems more likely to be the folks who have to stand in line for hours on Election Day.

Anyone's guess how this will play out.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So when people begin to venture out this weekend or next week in search of supplies will be interesting....
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.necn.com/news/coronavirus/s ... s/2245793/

Countries in Europe announced nationwide school closings before us. France announced all schools were shut down last Thursday. Schools were shutting shutting down there on March 3. Also all bars, restaurants, and other public places were shuttered over the weekend. Trump hasn't been out in front giving cover to anyone. Stop misleading people. States made the call to shut schools in this country. Not Trump. Italy was ahead of us also.
🤡
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 pm Government message

https://youtu.be/Hks6Nq7g6P4
:lol: :lol: Outrageously funny and true!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Didn't need draconian measures 2 months ago. Needed testing!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 pm

The people knew he wouldn’t be prepared when they voted him in. He is duly elected.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:27 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:20 pm

The people knew he wouldn’t be prepared when they voted him in. He is duly elected.
So what's the EU's excuse ? They had WHO test kits ? They have enlightened leaders, not Trump.
Why are they following our lead & just now getting around to closing their borders ?
Did you see the video of the Chinese tourist in Italy, getting Italians to kiss him ?
France & Spain just joined Italy in lockdown. Germany likely will in the next few days.
I watch BBC & DW news every evening. It's been 2 mos of denial, happy talk & EU vs national leaders, waiting for the others to act.
They're more concerned about salvaging their football seasons with a rushed final 4 & saving the clubs.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The EU, Hillary, Obama... When does this stop? When do we stop discussing everyone else and start taking personal responsibility? For heaven's sake, he messed up..
Caddy Day
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Look at the timeline for this thing. On this thread. What would Hillary or any other president/staff have done differently? What warning would the American people have heeded?

We’ve been talking about this seriously for the past week and a half as a legit war/crisis and yesterday Ft Walton Beach was packed.

What is testing going to do? Even if the tests weren’t screwed up? The level of testing needed (to test others than those showing symptoms) wouldn't have been possible.

At this point, if you are showing any signs whatsoever, assume you have Corona: tell everyone you know and have been in close contact with. Isolate no matter what.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:01 pm The EU, Hillary, Obama... When does this stop? When do we stop discussing everyone else and start taking personal responsibility? For heaven's sake, he messed up..
No, no, you don't understand! Trump gets a 10 out 10 on how well he has managed this. He told us so himself! And os, LandM, 6ft, holmes35, etc etc, really, honestly, believe this.

All that stuff he said up until now (see https://thebulwark.com/anatomy-of-a-viral-lie/ ) is forgotten, disappeared.

We in Oceanian are at war with Eurasia. We always have been. 2+2=5.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/p ... corps.html

Fubar.

Not The Whole of Government. At all. Who actually believes Trump, Jared and Pence can manage this? They are lying every day.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The lady from the CDC in Atlanta, I don't remember her name, made this point about the WHO test kits. The CDC was reluctant to use them because they were considered experimental kits with an unacceptable level of false positive results. I am sure the experts on this forum will give further clarification. If there was an issue with the WHO test kits, delaying using them would not be such a bad thing after all.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

It’s not just the delays in testing. It’s the deadly, inconsistent messaging that has not worked. The logistics of the response. The lack of response. He’s worried about the stock market. Shifting blame. People? Not so much.

#GetMePPE is trending, medical workers begging for enough personal protection equipment. This crisis is 4 months old.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “POLITICS”