All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:52 pm
foreverlax wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:36 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm Watch the video. All the way to the end:

https://thebulwark.com/anatomy-of-a-viral-lie/
Way to go Dr. Carson, as the saying goes, his comments will age extremely well.
Ben Carsons saved more lives than you've had sandwiches.

I'm going to accept his recognition of Trumps character and good will.

Yours not so much.
Dr. Carson has an admirable early life story and career in neurosurgery.
My dad served with him on a school board back in the '90's and found him to be humble, asking insightful questions.

But immense "character" flaws have emerged over the years.
All sorts of flat out lies, all sorts of truly outlandish statements and beliefs.

Close to full-on whack job.

Which takes nothing away from his earlier successes and merits; not sure how he went 'off' but he did.

That he's become a Trump toady is huge shame.

On full life balance, I still admire the guy and wish him the best.
calourie

Post by calourie »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:47 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm Watch the video. All the way to the end:

https://thebulwark.com/anatomy-of-a-viral-lie/
He was right......if you sit around and take care of yourself, 1000's are getting better. ;)

I do not blame him one bit, as I posted earlier, this was more about avoiding mass chaos across the country...think looting. All in all, we are still quite low on deaths and as the test numbers go up, the percentage of death should go down....assuming the death count does not follow.
The number of deaths and death rate in the US are currently trending up. The efficacy of dealing with the crisis will be written by history, both short and long term, and the numbers involved will go a long way toward verifying any spin regarding the choices made. In the meantime trusting your leadership to a man who constantly claims to know more than anyone about almost everything is a fool's errand.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

100th death in the U.S. confirmed, with 5,894 confirmed cases.

We will likely surge past South Korea in a few days.

Plus ... first confirmed case in West Virginia.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:34 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:04 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:50 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:47 pm I do not blame him one bit, as I posted earlier, this was more about avoiding mass chaos across the country...think looting.
Are you serious or joking? It seems like you're serious...
He's serious. The limbo these guys will go to to see normality where the rest of the world sees a raging amoral narcissist consumed only by his reelection is remarkable.
As I said earlier, I am optimistic and believe things will always turn out for the best in the long run. You hard core never trumpers want nothing but failure for our country, simply to justify your arguemnts. Vast difference in my approach, compared to the vas deferens approach. 8-)
One approach is grounded in reality.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I do not blame him one bit, as I posted earlier, this was more about avoiding mass chaos across the country...think looting.
As I said earlier, I am optimistic and believe things will always turn out for the best in the long run. You hard core never trumpers want nothing but failure for our country, simply to justify your arguemnts. Vast difference in my approach, compared to the vas deferens approach. 8-)
I'm trying to keep positive as are many others but not blaming the POTUS one bit?! He did what he did to avoid chaos across the country, looting?! That's not optimism. That's denial. And such a strange rationale for the denial. Looting? Who would be looting?! And why?!
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:59 pm
I do not blame him one bit, as I posted earlier, this was more about avoiding mass chaos across the country...think looting.
I'm trying to keep positive as are many others but not blaming the POTUS one bit?! He did what he did to avoid chaos across the country, looting?! That's not optimism. That's denial. And such a strange rationale for the denial. Looting? Who would be looting?! And why?!
People in Baltimore because that’s what they do when they don’t get free stuff.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

That's why I'm asking. Just curious if it's the people of Baltimore and other "similar cities". This sounds very Trumpian...
Caddy Day
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Government message

https://youtu.be/Hks6Nq7g6P4
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 pm That's why I'm asking. Just curious if it's the people of Baltimore and other "similar cities". This sounds very Trumpian...
Yes it does.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 pm Government message https://youtu.be/Hks6Nq7g6P4
The Aussies are funny.
Caddy Day
calourie

Post by calourie »

Here's one of the containment nightmares. My wife and I spend our winters in Palms Springs, California, a city with a far higher than average aging (60+) population. My wife is a member of a tennis club, which has as its'membership mostly college educated people, probably twice as many members over 60 as under, skewing along those same lines about 2:1 anti:pro Trump, and though healthy themselves several have partners like myself who are health compromised. As regards grouping up for tennis EVERY member that my wife associates with the exception of herself and despite her well voiced concern saw no reason today to even consider social distancing surrounding their tennis involvement despite the various governmental urgings for people to do so that started first with Governor Newsome mid-week last week, followed up by the numerous warnings from the White House beginning Friday and running through today. This is a group of above average education elders of all political persuasions for whom the potential severity of this outbreak went over their heads. This in spite of the fact that we live in a metropolitan area with a number of cases and already one death in an adjacent municipality . Luckily the town administration is enough on the ball to order the town be put on total lockdown as of tomorrow, closing all non-essential commercial and recreational gathering places until further notice, at first enforced by being informed and followed up by penalty. This is what many towns all across the country will be confronted with if they are not already, even in the face of a bombardment of warnings. We will see how this plays out, and if America is truly up to the task to effectively keep the spread of this malady at a manageable level despite what many consider an egregiously late start.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum - we are out of phase in understanding each other’s posts. I have been trying to articulate that if the president came on the tv a couple weeks ago, before any schools, sports, businesses shut the doors and simply said something like....’Effective at sundown tomorrow, you must return to your homes immediately, quarantine for 14 days, places of business where people of numbers Can come into contact will be closed’ You don’t think that would have been worse than what is going on now and that would have not caused pandemonium and likely looting?

My point is they are trying to control personal psychological hysteria and anxiety over the stress of of this virus, as well as the virus itself. Right now the total number of infections globally is only slightly larger than the size of Syracuse.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:47 pm
Matnum - we are out of phase in understanding each other’s posts. I have been trying to articulate that if the president came on the tv a couple weeks ago, before any schools, sports, businesses shut the doors and simply said something like....’Effective at sundown tomorrow, you must return to your homes immediately, quarantine for 14 days, places of business where people of numbers Can come into contact will be closed’ You don’t think that would have been worse than what is going on now and that would have not caused pandemonium and likely looting?

My point is they are trying to control personal psychological hysteria and anxiety over the stress of of this virus, as well as the virus itself. Right now the total number of infections globally is only slightly larger than the size of Syracuse.
When you wake up tomorrow, we will have eclipsed 200,000 and will be rising fast now that we are scaling up testing.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tested as infected: 197,000.

The US alone will have more than that in 30 days...if we test enough to know.
We're now (finally!) doing 8,200 tests per day...that needs to get to about 100,000 per day asap...then 200k+.
This is going to infect many millions.

No, had Trump been saying this was very, very serious two months ago and that was the consistently being repeated in the media, social distancing would have long begun, as would have the various shutdowns of sports leagues, etc. Most importantly, had we been testing we'd have known this was much more widespread and growing than we knew...so, the reaction would have been sooner as well.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:57 pm

We're now (finally!) doing 8,200 tests per day...that needs to get to about 100,000 per day asap...then 200k+.

No, had Trump been saying this was very, very serious two months ago and that was the consistently being repeated in the media, social distancing would have long begun, as would have the various shutdowns of sports leagues, etc. Most importantly, had we been testing we'd have known this was much more widespread and growing than we knew...so, the reaction would have been sooner as well.
The mortality rate is about 4% right now. If it’s a town like Syracuse, that’s about 7,500 people or so.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:28 pm Government message

https://youtu.be/Hks6Nq7g6P4
comical.
Typical Lax Dad

Over 7,000 cases are classified as serious or critical.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You are assuming the death rate will also increase in unison. We simply do not know that....yet. Positive cases do not equal death. It’d be nice to see the numbers of recovery, but that is lagging much further behind as well because that would also have to test again.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Mortality is now spiking in Western Europe. This headline is now obsolete :

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/13/cor ... -19-deaths
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:09 pm

You are assuming the death rate will also increase in unison. We simply do not know that....yet. Positive cases do not equal death. It’d be nice to see the numbers of recovery, but that is lagging much further behind as well because that would also have to test again.
198,000 cases, 81,000 recoveries, about 8,000 deaths and 7,000 serious/critical cases.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”