D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by NovaHound »

I’m saving my best for April 1. 🤣
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Day 3 of full quarantine: Channeling my inner Peter Brown this morning.

Reflecting on the past mini-season and looking forward, the glass is more than half full for Loyola:

-Lots of young guys got a taste this year and saw what D1 looks like.

-Our Jr class is stacked. Top to bottom. Those kids will all be SRs next year.

-It's fun to beat Hopkins. They were bad this year, bit it's always good to keep our thumbs on our "little brother" on Charles Street.

-Lots of underclassmen guys got opportunities and showed flashes and should improve year over year. Pacheco, Middleton, Kamish, Raba, Teitlebaum, Seay, Poitras, Wyers Bateman are all legit and look like future stars. Cupboard is loaded.

An extra year of eligibility only helps if you have guys you want to return. We do. If you get an extra year of eligibility for any team leaders like Savio/McNulty/Railey/Johnson/Swindell we could be very formidable. Savio, Olmstead and Lindley have already had Loyola HOF careers..as Juniors. Give them another 2 years?!! That's not fair to the rest of the lax world.

And it's all gravy.

Toomey and staff have another offseason to work and sharpen these guys. Another advantage, Hounds.

Expect a dominant 2021. Even more so if just a few of the kids mentioned above decide to take advantage of the extra year and get the most respected MBA on the East Coast from the Sellinger School at Loyola University.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 am Day 3 of full quarantine: Channeling my inner Peter Brown this morning.

Reflecting on the past mini-season and looking forward, the glass is more than half full for Loyola:

-It's fun to beat Hopkins. They were bad this year, bit it's always good to keep our thumbs on our "little brother" on Charles Street.

-Lots of underclassmen guys got opportunities and showed flashes and should improve year over year. Pacheco, Middleton, Kamish, Raba, Teitlebaum, Seay, Poitras, Wyers Bateman are all legit and look like future stars. Cupboard is loaded.

An extra year of eligibility only helps if you have guys you want to return. We do. If you get an extra year of eligibility for any team leaders like Savio/McNulty/Railey/Johnson/Swindell we could be very formidable. Savio, Olmstead and Lindley have already had Loyola HOF careers..as Juniors. Give them another 2 years?!! That's not fair to the rest of the lax world.

And it's all gravy.

Toomey and staff have another offseason to work and sharpen these guys. Another advantage, Hounds.

Expect a dominant 2021. Even more so if just a few of the kids mentioned above decide to take advantage of the extra year and get the most respected MBA on the East Coast from the Sellinger School at Loyola University.

I could not post anything more accurate than kramerica above. +10000
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

The question is, how many of these current seniors decide to come back next year.

'11, any ideas? McNulty basically gets two more years and hes already decided on coming back even before the season was canceled.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Early look ahead - Hounds return everyone. Clear cut Natty favorites for the next 4 years.

A shame for everyone else.

PL, Ivy's, ACC, B1G, Big East should all just mail it in and start recruiting for 2025 and beyond, as the Hounds have the next 4 years locked down.

:lol:

Hey Pete, this is pretty fun...

:D
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:12 am The question is, how many of these current seniors decide to come back next year.

'11, any ideas? McNulty basically gets two more years and hes already decided on coming back even before the season was canceled.
Not sure how this is going to work out but I'm not going to think about it too much either. ;) I just know next year would be "killer" with the team we have coming back. Young Middies got taste of D-1 and I like how they grew. Defense is just going to be loaded with depth. Face Off's - fuggidaboutit. Lindley, Olmstead and Kamish at Attack; with other guns out there too. McNulty - AA year. Yeah - Hounds could be a Beast. :D
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:38 am
houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:12 am The question is, how many of these current seniors decide to come back next year.

Not sure how this is going to work out but I'm not going to think about it too much either. ;) I just know next year would be "killer" with the team we have coming back. Young Middies got taste of D-1 and I like how they grew. Defense is just going to be loaded with depth. Face Off's - fuggidaboutit. Lindley, Olmstead and Kamish at Attack; with other guns out there too. McNulty - AA year. Yeah - Hounds could be a Beast. :D
i like the optimism. Loyola and many other schools basically do not have to go out to recruit any 2025's or 2026's because of this extra year of eligibility. everyone (if they decide to) gets to play for a whole extra year. the freshmen now could be RS freshmen next year which is exciting!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Kamish and Poitras are going to be really good dodgers with 10-15 extra pounds of muscle.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:25 pm Kamish and Poitras are going to be really good dodgers with 10-15 extra pounds of muscle.
imagine if Poitras spends the entire offseason developing a equally good right hand. If he could develop a right hand and a righty shot?! YES PLEASE :D
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:08 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:52 am Day 3 of full quarantine: Channeling my inner Peter Brown this morning.

And it's all gravy.

I could not post anything more accurate than kramerica above. +10000
I was with you all the way up to the section bolded by Kram...that's a pretty silly statement, but perhaps he meant to throw a wink emoji beside it.

Good program for sure, "most repeated MBA on the East Coast"...nope
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am
BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 pm Hold up, I started this debate. I want in on the free crabs too. PB you down to host back to back weekends?

You're on too. I am up to 2 dozen crabs plus now 6 cold ones.

I will dine with so much satisfaction....
Hey Peter, hate to be that guy but you owe me a dozen crabs when this pandemic clears up.

Loyola defensive efficiency: 24.5% (8th)
Loyola goals against avg: 8.67 (7th)

I will say, the defense was way better than I expected, mostly due to Shafer's play filling in for Stover.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Just meant it half tongue-in-cheek. :D

Sellinger is no Wharton, by any stretch. But it is much respected in the East Coast finance world and has been recognized by a number of publications.

A few notable ones:

The Princeton Review has included the Sellinger School in its "Best Business Schools” lists every year from 2010 through 2019. In that time the publication has lauded Sellinger's approach to “preparing students to lead in a global economy” and ranked Sellinger among top 15 graduate schools in the "Global Management" category. Loyola has been included in the "Colleges That Pay You Back" list for superior academic quality, affordability, and outstanding career preparation.

Financial Times ranked Loyola among the “Top 100 Executive MBA Programs” in the world in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Loyola has been ranked as high as No. 3 in the world for corporate social responsibility, No. 24 in the world and No. 1 in the region for "aims achieved" by students, No. 50 in the world for career progression, and No. 14 in the U.S. for the percentage of women in the cohort program by the publication.

US News and World Report: “2018 Best Graduate Schools: Business Specialties” – Sellinger ranked 23rd nationally in Finance and 28th
in Accounting, and the part-time MBA program were also ranked among the best in the nation. "2017 Best Graduate Schools” – Sellinger was ranked among the national top 25 graduate business schools for information systems (No. 18), finance (No. 21), and accounting (No. 24) specialties. Sellinger was also ranked among the top 100 part-time MBA programs in the nation (No. 89). 2014 Best Graduate Schools” – Sellinger ranked among the top 100 part-time MBA programs in the nation (No. 89) and was ranked among the top 30 graduate business schools in the country for finance
(No. 22) and accounting (No. 29) specialties. Sellinger is the only institution in Maryland on either MBA specialty list.“2013 America’s Best Business Schools” - Sellinger ranked among the top 100 part-time MBA programs in the nation (No. 82) and was noted for its International specialty (No. 22). Sellinger was the only business school in Maryland to receive accolades in the international business specialty ranking
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:49 am Just meant it half tongue-in-cheek. :D

Sellinger is no Wharton, by any stretch. But it is much respected in the East Coast finance world and has been recognized by a number of publications.

A few notable ones:

The Princeton Review has included the Sellinger School in its "Best Business Schools” lists every year from 2010 through 2019. In that time the publication has lauded Sellinger's approach to “preparing students to lead in a global economy” and ranked Sellinger among top 15 graduate schools in the "Global Management" category. Loyola has been included in the "Colleges That Pay You Back" list for superior academic quality, affordability, and outstanding career preparation.

Financial Times ranked Loyola among the “Top 100 Executive MBA Programs” in the world in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Loyola has been ranked as high as No. 3 in the world for corporate social responsibility, No. 24 in the world and No. 1 in the region for "aims achieved" by students, No. 50 in the world for career progression, and No. 14 in the U.S. for the percentage of women in the cohort program by the publication.

US News and World Report: “2018 Best Graduate Schools: Business Specialties” – Sellinger ranked 23rd nationally in Finance and 28th
in Accounting, and the part-time MBA program were also ranked among the best in the nation. "2017 Best Graduate Schools” – Sellinger was ranked among the national top 25 graduate business schools for information systems (No. 18), finance (No. 21), and accounting (No. 24) specialties. Sellinger was also ranked among the top 100 part-time MBA programs in the nation (No. 89). 2014 Best Graduate Schools” – Sellinger ranked among the top 100 part-time MBA programs in the nation (No. 89) and was ranked among the top 30 graduate business schools in the country for finance
(No. 22) and accounting (No. 29) specialties. Sellinger is the only institution in Maryland on either MBA specialty list.“2013 America’s Best Business Schools” - Sellinger ranked among the top 100 part-time MBA programs in the nation (No. 82) and was noted for its International specialty (No. 22). Sellinger was the only business school in Maryland to receive accolades in the international business specialty ranking
:D ;)
I'm a fan of the program. It's certainly appreciated here in Baltimore.
But it's a largely local MBA, much like the one I got at Boston College years ago.
Sellinger more part-time oriented.

Good training, solid but mostly local network.
BC Carroll School is ranked #48 nationally by USNWR, Sellinger is "unranked" in Best Business Schools 2021.
But Sellinger is indeed recognized as an excellent part-time program.
Very, very good.

I recall going to a party at HBS where my wife was doing her MBA in parallel with mine. Asked what I did..."I go to business school" "oh where?" "Boston College" ohhh, I didn't know they had a business school"... arrogant a-hole for saying it out loud, but that's the reality.

The BC program at the time was less socratic, more team-oriented, more focused on 'soft skills', all of which I've grown to appreciate greatly out in the 'real world' of building/managing companies. My wife and I did a joint entrepreneurial project, receiving credit from each program, the first of such entrepreneurial ventures together.

I played lacrosse for the Harvard graduate program club team (spouses welcome!).

I did full time one year, then worked full-time at Alex.Brown in Boston and took courses at night the second year. Definitely learned a ton.

Sellinger definitely can provide young people with a good pivot in their careers.

Locally, lax playing:
Hopkins could/should have a nationally recognized MBA but still struggles to commit fully.
Like Sellinger, is unranked. Very international student body.

UMD is ranked #44 by USNWR for Best Business Schools.

Georgetown is #25.

Wharton obviously regularly top 10.

If I was just looking to bide some time while playing a 5th year and was willing to do 2 years of B-school, Sellinger would be attractive if I planned to stick around this area or perhaps if I wanted to play the Catholic card career wise. I might prefer Carey if I was looking long term and was thinking international reputation or medical field oriented.

If I was looking upscale on international or public service, Georgetown would be high up. UMD for IT, perhaps. I'd also be looking at UVA and UNC and Duke if I had the lax chops and grades, etc. UVA also has a 1-year business oriented program as well as their traditional MBA.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It's all what you put in/get out of it. Carey School is most certainly where I'd go if I was looking for anything remotely connected to medical. It's panache in the region is very, very good too. I have 2-3 good friends who got their masters there and are big-wigs at places like UMD Med System, Medstar, T.Rowe etc.

I got my MBA at Loyola. I chose it for the part-time reason you mentioned. 20 years ago it was the lone institution (at the time) that had a decent rep as a brick and mortar college that had a good part-time offering. That was the most important factor to me pursuing a company-paid masters, working full time and having 3 kids under the age of 5.

Anyway, my buddy went to the Carey School and was rightfully proud of his school. We are always tweaking eachother about the whole Loyola/Hopkins thing...Anyway, we were at a work conference happy hour and my friend came back to the table after mingling and was beaming. He had something up his sleeve to razz me with...Turns out he wanted to introduce me to someone- his brilliant Carey School accounting professor...My friend made a big show of the introduction- "You need to to meet my JHU grad professor -he's one of the greatest in the world PHDs , experience everywhere....blah blah blah..." So the professor comes over and gives me a hug. Much to my friend's surprise. It ended up being my undergrad accounting professor, faculty advisor and MBA professor from Loyola.

The cross-pollination around here is insane. This is why they call it "Smalltimore."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 am It's all what you put in/get out of it. Carey School is most certainly where I'd go if I was looking for anything remotely connected to medical. It's panache in the region is very, very good too. I have 2-3 good friends who got their masters there and are big-wigs at places like UMD Med System, Medstar, T.Rowe etc.

I got my MBA at Loyola. I chose it for the part-time reason you mentioned. 20 years ago it was the lone institution (at the time) that had a decent rep as a brick and mortar college that had a good part-time offering. That was the most important factor to me pursuing a company-paid masters, working full time and having 3 kids under the age of 5.

Anyway, my buddy went to the Carey School and was rightfully proud of his school. We are always tweaking eachother about the whole Loyola/Hopkins thing...Anyway, we were at a work conference happy hour and my friend came back to the table after mingling and was beaming. He had something up his sleeve to razz me with...Turns out he wanted to introduce me to someone- his brilliant Carey School accounting professor...My friend made a big show of the introduction- "You need to to meet my JHU grad professor -he's one of the greatest in the world PHDs , experience everywhere....blah blah blah..." So the professor comes over and gives me a hug. Much to my friend's surprise. It ended up being my undergrad accounting professor, faculty advisor and MBA professor from Loyola.

The cross-pollination around here is insane. This is why they call it "Smalltimore."
:D clapping hands emoji too!

Seriously, Sellinger is terrific and very important for Baltimore.

Carey really frustrates me as, if Hopkins was truly serious, the MBA program could be a top worldwide brand, with immense spillover benefits for the Baltimore region.

They should be a 500+ student per class school, with heavy emphasis on cross disciplinary programs from health to IT to engineering to space...with a special emphasis on entrepreneurship. Very doable, but requires serious institutional commitment. Calling Michael Bloomberg...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

BigTom4 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:41 pm
BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 pm Hold up, I started this debate. I want in on the free crabs too. PB you down to host back to back weekends?

Hey Peter, hate to be that guy but you owe me a dozen crabs when this pandemic clears up.

I will say, the defense was way better than I expected, mostly due to Shafer's play filling in for Stover.

No Tewaaraton, not even half a season's schedule played because of an Act of God, no division nor season end tournaments, no awards of any nature, and you think this bet still stands?! (btw, I think I was going to win eventually as we had already played our toughest opponents ;) )

I need a lawyer to weigh in here, a real lawyer (not a Google lawyer, though I'm content to read links cause we're all bored rn).

I'm out of my league on this arbitration. If a reputable lawyer can point to case law on a bet such as this standing, when the season of every team is canceled before half the season is played by an Act of God, please let me know. I don't welch on bets! But, I do like for bets to be honestly won.

Also for the record, I'd buy you the beers and crabs anyway cause I'm that kind of guy.

Also we will win the Natty in 2021 so my heart is full right now!!

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:33 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 am It's all what you put in/get out of it. Carey School is most certainly where I'd go if I was looking for anything remotely connected to medical. It's panache in the region is very, very good too. I have 2-3 good friends who got their masters there and are big-wigs at places like UMD Med System, Medstar, T.Rowe etc.

Carey really frustrates me as, if Hopkins was truly serious, the MBA program could be a top worldwide brand, with immense spillover benefits for the Baltimore region.

They should be a 500+ student per class school, with heavy emphasis on cross disciplinary programs from health to IT to engineering to space...with a special emphasis on entrepreneurship. Very doable, but requires serious institutional commitment. Calling Michael Bloomberg...

I thought the reason to locate Carey on the Harborfront was to elevate it's status? Next to a Four Seasons etc... Wasn't that the idea?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

i spent a couple minutes watching highlights of the 2020 team for each game they played this year. You can see the improvement game to game in small incremental bursts.

Assuming all the seniors come back for next year (which can very well not be the case) does the team chemistry and efficiency get better now that these guys have an extended offseason to work on their craft?

I for one, think the defense fared well in the 6 games they played this year. 7th in defensive efficiency is pretty great IMO. I think this unit will be even better next year.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:33 am

I thought the reason to locate Carey on the Harborfront was to elevate it's status? Next to a Four Seasons etc... Wasn't that the idea?
I wasn't involved, so I don't know the rationale other than they thought it was hipper location, easier to attract grad students to. Harbor East, Fells Point, Canton. It would be pretty easy to sell that building at this point if they wanted to go bigger. It's very valuable real estate now.

My sense is that they've done fine on enrollment, etc, but way, way below their potential if they were truly 'all-in'.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:14 pm
BigTom4 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:41 pm

No Tewaaraton, not even half a season's schedule played because of an Act of God, no division nor season end tournaments, no awards of any nature, and you think this bet still stands?! (btw, I think I was going to win eventually as we had already played our toughest opponents ;) )

I need a lawyer to weigh in here, a real lawyer (not a Google lawyer, though I'm content to read links cause we're all bored rn).

I'm out of my league on this arbitration. If a reputable lawyer can point to case law on a bet such as this standing, when the season of every team is canceled before half the season is played by an Act of God, please let me know. I don't welch on bets! But, I do like for bets to be honestly won.

Also for the record, I'd buy you the beers and crabs anyway cause I'm that kind of guy.

Also we will win the Natty in 2021 so my heart is full right now!!

yup, you owe the bet...but agreed, just eating some crabs, drinking some beer, and talking lax would be very, very welcome in a couple of months, regardless of who pays! Hope it can happen this summer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”