All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:32 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:22 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:58 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:38 am
Bart wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:35 am
6ftstick wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:23 am So if Trump wasn't president.

We wouldn't be self quarantined in our homes?

Professional and college sports wouldn't have been canceled?

Schools restaurants and bars wouldn't be locked down?

Social distancing wouldn't be the prescription for 300 million plus Americans?

The stock market wouldn't have collapsed under all this uncertainty?

We wouldn't still be trying to bend the curve?

What would be different?
No, I think we would still be there. Tests and all that are things to quibble about by people with more intellect than myself but to me, yesterday was the first time I have seen the President face the reality of what the potential would actually be when he said "we do not have this under control". For me, and this is for me only, it would have been much more reassuring to hear him say this weeks ago and indicate that he would listen to his scientific advisers moving forward. The fact that he indicated he had an innate (my characterization and perception)ability to understand all this at the level of the professionals at the CDC and NIH lost a ton of credibility for me. I know accomplished scientists at both of those institutions and there was nothing innate about about how they got there. Several of these people were always "the smartest person in the room" but to get to the point they are in was not innate but lots of hard work and study. That is my issue.
I think that's right Bart.

6ft, more to your question, yes, we'd have needed to go through social distancing and economic contraction.
Inescapable given the nature of the virus.

But that's not the whole story.

Had we admitted the coming reality and properly prioritized resources, testing first and foremost, the depths and lengths of the challenge could have been greatly reduced. Not eliminated, greatly reduced.

Likewise, had we prioritized ventilators, masks, gowns, training, hospital beds, etc, instead of being way, way, way behind in all of these, the impact would have been greatly reduced. Not eliminated, greatly reduced.
Are you implying that roughly ~5000 sicknesses have crushed our medical facilities and then in the same breath blaming the administration for that? To me, that says our medical infrastructure is quite poor and their planning had no contingencies for pandemic.....I believe Tony Fauci admitted that. Enough of the Orange Man Bad b/c it fits a narrative. If the USA is going to be bent over grabbing their ankles by ~ 5000 illnesses, then we are eff'd...full stop.

To further argue that "training" was not ready.....that also speaks to poor planning medical infrastructure problems.....that reaches far, far, far, beyond any one administration. Our military, first respondents do nothing but training for the "worst" case scenario. TO the end, I can see how this snowballs into gov't run healthcare...much like our military....which is always quite strong and prepared.
good lord, youth, your cluelessness or perhaps its stubbornness do concern me.

NO ONE is implying that 5,000 illnesses crush a darn thing...please read the estimations of what's building fast.

40-60% of population will eventually contract it, 15-17% will need serious care, hospitalization.
Multiply it out and report back to us that you can actually do math.

When this math became apparent, we needed to immediately ramp up all aspects. That was over two months ago. Arguably 3 months ago.
We're now, way, way behind.
I read YOUR WORDS and replied to YOUR WORDS not speculation. You actually are certain that 150 Million people are getting this thing? Your words (40%-60%) and that roughly 35mm (10% less than your 15-17%) will need serious care?

Come on man.
Certain?

No, but that's exactly the sort of scale of what is predicted (by the scientists) as contracted if we don't successfully slow the rapid spread.

Not sure how you did your "math" on hospitalizations, but try again.

15% of 150 million is 22.5 million hospitalizations. But you have the scale close.
There is a much higher rate of serious complications, not just mortality, with this virus than the flu.

Million+ dead. Maybe 4 million. Directly related to having virus.

The actual hospitalizations won't happen as we won't be able to take them in, people will just die at home.
So, too, will others not able to get into the hospital.

The hope is that we can slow down the spread, spread it out over many months, such that we can get enough beds, enough supplies, ventilators, etc to handle the crush.

They're very, very worried that they won't blunt it enough.

But let's sure as heck hope (and pray) that the curve is flattened enough to avoid the high end of these estimates.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

READ: The Alarming Report That Seems To Have Jump-Started Trump’s COVID Response
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... d-response
Below are highlights from the report.

An unmitigated epidemic could lead to 2.2 million deaths in the U.S., with a peak of cases in late June or early July.
covid1.png
covid1.png (110.73 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Social distancing would likely be effective at slowing or preventing the spread of the epidemic, but such measures would have to remain in place until a vaccine is found and sufficient portions of the world population can be immunized to prevent further spread.
covid2.png
covid2.png (158.03 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Temporarily suppressing the spread of the epidemic through mass social distancing could lead to more people being infected later on. The success of early efforts to limit the spread reduces herd immunity, the report contends.
covid3.png
covid3.png (61.85 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Even less extreme measures like mitigation – which would mean that only vulnerable populations like the elderly or those with preexisting conditions socially distanced – would result in a catastrophic surge of the healthcare system.
Continued on next post
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

covid4.png
covid4.png (132.33 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Follow the link to TPM - full report is embedded at the site page
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:54 am “The contrast between @NYGovCuomo ‘a #coronavirus press conference and @realDonaldTrump’s press conferences could not be more striking. You almost forget what competence, leadership and honesty feel like until you’re reminded.“

Charles Blow

Larry Hogan in Maryland has also been excellent.
Agree, saw Cuomo. Night and day the difference.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks Red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:14 am
Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:54 am “The contrast between @NYGovCuomo ‘a #coronavirus press conference and @realDonaldTrump’s press conferences could not be more striking. You almost forget what competence, leadership and honesty feel like until you’re reminded.“

Charles Blow

I thought he was especially powerful when he was talking about not being able to see, hold his daughter.

Immense competence coupled with great empathy...and knowing how important it is to speak to the latter as well.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Ventilators may soon be worth their weight in gold, and other countries are frantically placing orders. But a US company that makes ventilators says it could increase production five fold -- but the US hasn't placed an order:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/20 ... five-fold/
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 am

Charles Blow

I thought he was especially powerful when he was talking about not being able to see, hold his daughter.

Immense competence coupled with great empathy...and knowing how important it is to speak to the latter as well.
Cuomo/Hogan...2020.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Still defending the decisions to develop US tests rather than scaling up fast with what was already available.

As if these were mutually exclusive.

No, we could have been testing far more with what was available and then moved to "better" tests once developed and tested. Assuming actually better.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:27 pm Still defending the decisions to develop US tests rather than scaling up fast with what was already available.

No, we could have been testing far more with what was available and then moved to "better" tests once developed and tested. Assuming actually better.
I have no idea on what planet it made sense to turn down help in the form of WHO Covid-19 test kits one month ago. Take the tests while developing our own. It has worked for South Korea.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Was on the phone so I didn't catch all of the presser. Just catching the tail end. Night and day between today's and everything last week. The administration deserves kudos for starting to get the "communication" part of this business right - or at least moving in the right direction.

When the presser started, the market was going down. It dropped below 20K a few minutes into the presser, it has rebounded as the presser has gone on. That should act as positive reinforcement for Trump.
Last edited by jhu72 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:39 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:27 pm Still defending the decisions to develop US tests rather than scaling up fast with what was already available.

I have no idea on what planet it made sense to turn down help in the form of WHO Covid-19 test kits one month ago. Take the tests while developing our own. It has worked for South Korea.
Ask the CDC official(s) who made that decision. There will be plenty of time for 2nd guessing that decision in the inevitable Congressional show trials & scapegoating. Likewise with the FDA officials who enforced the existing EUA regs re new local lab developed tests.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Ask the CDC official(s) who made that decision. There will be plenty of time for 2nd guessing that decision in the inevitable Congressional show trials & scapegoating. Likewise with the FDA officials who enforced the existing EUA regs re new local lab developed tests.
:roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

Hopefully we have Benghazi style hearings as to who made the call.
🤡
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:18 am

Charles Blow

Cuomo/Hogan...2020.
Don't know about Hogan, but Cuomo's stock has certainly risen. I'd just caution you on putting Cuomo on a pedestal so quickly. Rudy Giuliani was perceived highly right after 9/11, with people calling for him for national office.
jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:40 pm Was on the phone so I didn't catch all of the presser. Just catching the tail end. Night and day between today's and everything last week. The administration deserves kudos for starting to get the "communication" part of this business right - or at least moving in the right direction.

When the presser started, the market was going down. It dropped below 20K a few minutes into the presser, it has rebounded as the presser has gone on. That should act as positive reinforcement for Trump.
Agree on the more positive actions outlined at the presser.

Can't STAND, or understand, the need for Trump to continue his hyperbole on how great and outstanding he's doing, or for how deeply his lackeys seem to feel the need to kowtow to Liar-in-Chief.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:50 pm

🤡
You can bet on it. Testing is just the handy stick being used by partisans to beat Trump, at the moment.

Testing is just one facet of our overall shortfall in a system that developed to deal with previous epidemics, which never came to our shores as a pandemic of this magnitude.

Of course, all the necessary brainpower resided solely within a now disestablished office within the Obama NSC, rather than throughout the rest of the Federal govt.

obtw -- Dr Fauci just said the following about the need for widespread testing (in response to a NBC reporter) ;
We tend to think we're not going to be able to mitigate or contain without testing. They complement each other in some respects but their separate channels. Even if we had no testing, we should be doing what we're doing now. The question you're asking, so I won't evade it, specifically -- would it be important outside of a doctor-patient coming in together, knowing what's out there, under the
radar screen ? The answer is -- Yes. So let me tell you what the CDC is doing right now -- they're going out there to get a feel for whats out there that wasn't a part of the corona virus. When you do that, you're also going to get a feel for what the penetration level is in society. So we are heading, with the high throughput things you've been hearing about, to get an answer to your question.
Last edited by old salt on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:18 am

Charles Blow

Cuomo/Hogan...2020.
Don't know about Hogan, but Cuomo's stock has certainly risen. I'd just caution you on putting Cuomo on a pedestal so quickly. Rudy Giuliani was perceived highly right after 9/11, with people calling for him for national office.
jhu72 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:40 pm Was on the phone so I didn't catch all of the presser. Just catching the tail end. Night and day between today's and everything last week. The administration deserves kudos for starting to get the "communication" part of this business right - or at least moving in the right direction.

Agree on the more positive actions outlined at the presser.

Can't STAND, or understand, the need for Trump to continue his hyperbole on how great and outstanding he's doing, or for how deeply his lackeys seem to feel the need to kowtow to Liar-in-Chief.
Pence just had to throw in how Trump has worked with construction companies that are all being asked to donate unused breathing masks. If he has stiffed many of them, as is his practice, it may have back fired.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:15 pm

🤡
You can bet on it. Testing is just the handy stick being used by partisans to beat Trump, at the moment.

Testing is just one facet of our overall shortfall in a system that developed to deal with previous epidemics, which never came to our shores as a pandemic of this magnitude.

Of course, all the necessary brainpower resided solely within a now disestablished office within the Obama NSC, rather than throughout the rest of the Federal govt.

obtw -- Dr Fouchy just said the following about the need for widespread testing (in response to a NBC reporter) ;
We tend to think we're not going to be able to mitigate or contain without testing. They complement each other in some respects but their separate channels. Even if we had no testing, we should be doing what we're doing now. The question you're asking, so I won't evade it, specifically -- would it be important outside of a doctor-patient coming in together, knowing what's out there, under the
radar screen ? The answer is -- Yes. So let me tell you what the CDC is doing right now -- they're going out there to get a feel for whats out there that wasn't a part of the corona virus. When you do that, you're also going to get a feel for what the penetration level is in society. So we are heading, with the high throughput things you've been hearing about, to get an answer to your question.
Getting rid of the Pandemic response committee’s chain of command and support didn’t help either. Blame it on Obamer. The buck stops over there 👉
🤡
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:15 pm

🤡

obtw -- Dr Fauci just said the following about the need for widespread testing (in response to a NBC reporter) ;
We screwed the pooch big time with the poor early response; the inability to test those who needed testing. The CDC put out guidelines based on that reality - treated the test kits like gold. It was so bad, that in fact some individuals who died, weren't confirmed to have had the disease until after dead!! The CDC rank and file did not make a decision to not use the WHO test in a vacuum. They have a process along with the FDA. Outside of direction otherwise, THEY ALL FOLLOW PROCESS. Which is a very good thing. Some one at a higher level with knowledge of the process would have had to intervene. NO ONE DID!! This is the problem. Trump did not and does not have the kind of people at a high level that would have understood the problem, and either acted on it, or kicked it upstairs, early on. The problem occurs because of neglect at the highest levels!!

I am tired of hearing Trump whine about we fixed the process. NO! The Process was and is not the problem. The problem is unfit MORONs unfamiliar with the process either driving it wrong, or more likely in this case totally unaware, and not driving it at all!
Last edited by jhu72 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Just like you and your Benghazi buddies did for YEARS and now you all of a sudden don't like it?
Puhlease!!

Return to “POLITICS”