All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Matnum PI

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Matnum PI »

And while this is all happening, he's tweeting about Mike Flynn, Hillary, etc. It's amazing...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:36 pm There's zero chance of the Dow dropping only 900 points tomorrow.

Congress and Trump better get their massive stimulus package together in the next 24 hours.....

They don't seem to get that access to capital ain't the problem. Demand just fell off a cliff, and ran into a brick wall....
Giving people cash but then telling them to stay home a shelter in place isn't going to do much, no?
a fan

Post by a fan »

I guess I wasn't clear.....Italy allows one healthy person per household to go to a grocery store at a time. Each State has to set up a system to get food and drugs without crowding.

Plus they need to pay other bills.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:51 pm I guess I wasn't clear.....Italy allows one healthy person per household to go to a grocery store at a time. Each State has to set up a system to get food and drugs without crowding.

Plus they need to pay other bills.

If I may ask, how are you guys coping with the plague scare?

Any changes in your life routines?

How about others that you know?

As for me, my pal from Brooklyn called me up and we chatted about it. He's now 77 and scared like hell. In his time, he was the type of Brooklyn dude who stood on a street corner, smoked cigarettes, puffed smoke in your face and dared you to take a swing at him. Tough guy was always looking for a fight. Back in the 1950s he stood 6'1" and weight about 230 lbs which was considered quite yuge back in the day. His dad and brother were both pro prize fighters and he was every bit as tough as they were. Today, he is as mild as a puppy and scared sh*tless over the plague.

Exchanged emails with my pal from Minneapolis. He's 74 and is convinced he is going to die from the plague. But he's an atheist and a stoic so he doesn't care whether he lives another day or not. Meanwhile he reads poetry and does professional writing to keep himself occupied.

As for me, my life revolves around food and sports. Since I cannot watch live sports, I watch old pro wrestling shows or replays of lax games. Tonight I am cooking a soup and playing Maurice Ravel's Bolero in the background. Maybe that tune could serve as a swan song for me - who the heck knows?

Lake Wobegone's governor has asked that seniors over 65 stay home as a way of preventing contamination. Well, I don't have anyone to shop for me so I'll only go out to shop. Meantime, my tv or PC is on. Mebbe I'll catch up on some long neglected reading and doing some laundry.

Anyone else wanna chime in - how are you dealing with the plague?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm If I may ask, how are you guys coping with the plague scare?

Wife has a Master's in Public Health, so we prepped a few weeks ago.....making sure thermometers were working, drug supply for her parent were good. We're big into canning, pickling and going whole buffalo....so we save bones in a bag in the freezer until there's enough to make soup.

Quarantines her parents several days ago. Both have heart conditions. My family is in shut down...no going out, except for walks.

I've been prepping the biz for weeks. Fortunately, we've spent the last five years preparing for a recession. So the biz is in good shape. That said, no one can sustain zero sales for long. Of course, it's hard to map how bad it's going to be, but as I keep saying....unless Trump breaks out the checkbook? Most indie restaurants will go out of business. Many of my friends have called it quits already.

What people don't seem to get is that this will NOT be a quick recovery. People and businesses are blowing through loans and cash, and won't have much to spend if/when this lasts as a total shut down for a month or more. Then we have to worry about Europe. Their demand will plummet, too. And once you spook consumers? It takes YEARS to bring them back out of their shell.

In short, every restaurant owner I know-----and I know hundreds, no joke------are in existential crisis right now. And their employees are in even worse shape. Most of your favorite restaurants---and many with James Beard awards, world class fare-----will not make it through this unless something major is done. I have no clue how restaurant workers are going to eat over the next few months. And I can't help them. It sucks.

Tulsi and AOC have it right: cut checks for all tax filers. At least $1k. But if they're smart, they'd make it $3K.

Not holding my breath. You'd have to understand what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck to understand that's what's needed. The millionaires in Congress and in the White House will never get it. So we're F'ed.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm Tonight I am cooking a soup and playing Maurice Ravel's Bolero in the background. Maybe that tune could serve as a swan song for me - who the heck knows?
Hopefully Bo Derek will show up to join you for dinner and then . . . .
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Florida National Guard called out to help in Broward County.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:42 pm And while this is all happening, he's tweeting about Mike Flynn, Hillary, etc. It's amazing...
Just the latest reflection of Trump’s diseased mind.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:52 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:42 pm And while this is all happening, he's tweeting about Mike Flynn, Hillary, etc. It's amazing...
Just the latest reflection of Trump’s diseased mind.

DocBarrister :?
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:38 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm Tonight I am cooking a soup and playing Maurice Ravel's Bolero in the background. Maybe that tune could serve as a swan song for me - who the heck knows?
Hopefully Bo Derek will show up to join you for dinner and then . . . .

Not a bad idea now that the GODDESS is taken.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I live about five minutes outside of Wilmington, NC, population around 100,000, that’s heavily dependent on tourism. Yesterday Wilmington businesses demonstrated the terrible conflict between doing what’s right for public health and trying to financially survive.

There’s an extremely high density of bars and restaurants in an area about two blocks wide by fifteen blocks long in old downtown. Yesterday I took a drive through that area to see how it was doing given the cancellation of yesterday’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade - the third largest tourist attraction. (Behind the NC Azalea Festival held annually in April, also cancelled, and the beach season that hopefully starts in May.) It became very apparent which bars and restaurants are in best position to survive the next few months and which aren’t, and how those that aren’t are prioritizing business survival over the public health.

Some businesses - normally jammed both inside and on their sidewalk tables - seemed empty. Other businesses were jam packed, with lines outside waiting for outside tables and to get inside. I wondered why the bars and restaurants that were always hard for me to get into were the least crowded, and found the answer on-line by checking a few of the web sites of the crowded and empty businesses when I got home.

Every crowded business’ web presence I looked at was still advertising St. Patrick’s Day drink and food specials, and bands where that’s part of their usual entertainment. Every quiet business’ web presence was heavily focused on marketing that they’re doing their fair share for social distancing. New take-out service. Bragging that bar stools have been removed and no congregating at the bar will be allowed. Removal of half their tables to distance parties from each other. Gloves on all workers and single use menus.

I’m pretty sure we can all guess which of these businesses are entering the next few months in better financial shape, and see the impact on public health and the spread of this virus if things aren’t done to support businesses that have to place personal economic survival ahead of the public good.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Due to my wife's diligent attention I am currently on vulnerable person lockdown ( 71 year old cancer survivor, compromised liver, you name it).
I'm also a member of the 1% with 5 children and step children and 7 grandchildren who would like nothing more than to see this crisis dissipate as quickly as possible. I am 100% behind California Governor Newsome's efforts to promote social distancing and new effort to promote the quarantine like isolation of those of us in the highly vulnerable 65+ catagory. This, if subscribed to, should help to buy us time to get a testing regimen up and running as well as lessen the chance of a health services overload. But this will only be effective if there is unequivocal confirmation at the federal level that this is the course to take. Otherwise you will have the situation SCLaxAttack lays out above in various states surrounding those like California and Washington that are at least trying to take a more aggressive approach and the efforts will be blunted and less productive, slowing the pace of recovery for all concerned.
If we can get a good portion of the population to limit social interaction for two weeks, while isolating the more at risk, we will get a much better idea of who is infected and who isn't even before a majority of people have even gotten tested (two weeks being the suggested self quarantining period) as well as greatly reducing the spread of the disease to the compromised elderly. But the American people will only agree to this if given a strong mandate from the their leadership. Unification hasn't proven to be one of President Trump's strong points, but if there was ever a need for him to take a shot at it, now would be the time. This crisis will be much more effectively dealt with on a national and not state by state basis. Forget about the markets, we need to move forward quickly to stem the spread of the disease, and only through strong leadership at the top will we arrive at a capability to do so. If we manage to do so the markets will take care of themselves sooner rather than later, and we will lessen the cost of providing relief to those unable to cover the cost of being unemployed for however long it takes.

PS I neglected to ad that even the people of Cali and Washington aren't apt to unite behind their own state directives unless convinced by our national leaders that we will all be playing by the same rules
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

calourie,

... the American people will only agree to this [preventive measures] if given a strong mandate from the their leadership. Unification hasn't proven to be one of President Trump's strong points, but if there was ever a need for him to take a shot at it, now would be the time. This crisis will be much more effectively dealt with on a national and not state by state basis.

Agree 100%. Initiative must be exercised from above rather than at local/state levels. However, Trump has failed in this regard by repeatedly pointing the finger at Obama. This despite the fact that it was he who fired the emergency personnel thereby leaving the nation more vulnerable to such exigencies. He has repeatedly proven that he cannot take responsibility for anything. On that basis, looking to him for a proper and effective initiative in this regard will be futile.

calourie

Post by calourie »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:54 pm
calourie,

... the American people will only agree to this [preventive measures] if given a strong mandate from the their leadership. Unification hasn't proven to be one of President Trump's strong points, but if there was ever a need for him to take a shot at it, now would be the time. This crisis will be much more effectively dealt with on a national and not state by state basis.

Agree 100%. Initiative must be exercised from above rather than at local/state levels. However, Trump has failed in this regard by repeatedly pointing the finger at Obama. This despite the fact that it was he who fired the emergency personnel thereby leaving the nation more vulnerable to such exigencies. He has repeatedly proven that he cannot take responsibility for anything. On that basis, looking to him for a proper and effective initiative in this regard will be futile.
I agree that Trump is unlikely to take the effective action required. Some in the administration like Fauci may take a shot at filling the role, though destined to have less impact. Just thought I'd put out my wish for a best case scenario. What isn't needed is a Pence like "I can't express what a wonderful job you've been doing, MR. PRESIDENT" and then hoping the crisis will somehow pursue some benevolent course.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:46 pm I’m pretty sure we can all guess which of these businesses are entering the next few months in better financial shape, and see the impact on public health and the spread of this virus if things aren’t done to support businesses that have to place personal economic survival ahead of the public good.
And, over and over, that's the repeated story within all our lives. The battle between doing the right thing and being bribed by money and/or respect to do otherwise.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Now 3,774 confirmed cases. That’s about 800 new cases in the last 24 hours.

Not good.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

calourie wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:24 pm Due to my wife's diligent attention I am currently on vulnerable person lockdown ( 71 year old cancer survivor, compromised liver, you name it).
I'm also a member of the 1% with 5 children and step children and 7 grandchildren who would like nothing more than to see this crisis dissipate as quickly as possible. I am 100% behind California Governor Newsome's efforts to promote social distancing and new effort to promote the quarantine like isolation of those of us in the highly vulnerable 65+ catagory. This, if subscribed to, should help to buy us time to get a testing regimen up and running as well as lessen the chance of a health services overload. But this will only be effective if there is unequivocal confirmation at the federal level that this is the course to take. Otherwise you will have the situation SCLaxAttack lays out above in various states surrounding those like California and Washington that are at least trying to take a more aggressive approach and the efforts will be blunted and less productive, slowing the pace of recovery for all concerned.
If we can get a good portion of the population to limit social interaction for two weeks, while isolating the more at risk, we will get a much better idea of who is infected and who isn't even before a majority of people have even gotten tested (two weeks being the suggested self quarantining period) as well as greatly reducing the spread of the disease to the compromised elderly. But the American people will only agree to this if given a strong mandate from the their leadership. Unification hasn't proven to be one of President Trump's strong points, but if there was ever a need for him to take a shot at it, now would be the time. This crisis will be much more effectively dealt with on a national and not state by state basis. Forget about the markets, we need to move forward quickly to stem the spread of the disease, and only through strong leadership at the top will we arrive at a capability to do so. If we manage to do so the markets will take care of themselves sooner rather than later, and we will lessen the cost of providing relief to those unable to cover the cost of being unemployed for however long it takes.

PS I neglected to ad that even the people of Cali and Washington aren't apt to unite behind their own state directives unless convinced by our national leaders that we will all be playing by the same rules
I too am 71 years old. Though not as at risk as you & with no younger people anxious to visit me, I completely agree with your assessment.
My 73 year old wife is a survivor of ITP -- a rare blood disorder which required the removal of her spleen 30 years ago, which theoretically compromises her immune system, though she is in good health, takes care of herself & does not get sick. I picked her up tonight, after she drove north today with a friend, after a months stay at our vacation home in FL. I have yet to convince her of the need to practice strict social distancing & isolation -- she does not agree. Hopefully I can persuade her to stay home for at least 2 wks until testing starts to inform us about the extent of community spread here in MD. Frankly -- I'm impressed by the assertive actions of our Gov Hogan & encouraged by the favorable response of my socially distanced dog park focus group. We need strong, consistent leadership from all levels of govt.

I do not share your faith in generic younger generations to practice strict social distancing to protect generic older generations. They may take precautions around their own senior family members & friends, but from the big picture perspective, I fear we're on our own & must protect ourselves by self-isolating until a vaccine is available or the virus abates & can be confirmed by widespread testing. For the foreseeable future, our lifestyle & quality of life will be significantly altered. The best we can do is adapt, ride it out, & trust the scientists, medical & health care professionals to guide us through this crisis. It can't be worse than a 9 month deployment at sea. Best wishes to you & your family.
Bart

Post by Bart »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:00 am I do not share your faith in generic younger generations to practice strict social distancing to protect generic older generations. They may take precautions around their own senior family members & friends, but from the big picture perspective, I fear we're on our own & must protect ourselves by self-isolating until a vaccine is available or the virus abates & can be confirmed by widespread testing. For the foreseeable future, our lifestyle & quality of life will be significantly altered. The best we can do is adapt, ride it out, & trust the scientists, medical & health care professionals to guide us through this crisis. It can't be worse than a 9 month deployment at sea. Best wishes to you & your family.
This. I hear over and over at home and at work that it is a virus that effects the older set and not "us". Kids left for spring break last Friday, some to go home and some to Spring Break. Some will stay home and some will return as we are told we are still "open for business" while delivering classes on a distance learning model. From my POV, this is not what Andy wanted but it is where we are at and we get alot of students from the Westchester, NYC, Long Island area. It will be interesting to see how many return.
Bart

Post by Bart »

I find it rather surprising Russia has so few reported cases, especially with the size of its boarder and the countries it boarders on.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:38 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:21 pm If I may ask, how are you guys coping with the plague scare?

I've been prepping the biz for weeks. Fortunately, we've spent the last five years preparing for a recession. So the biz is in good shape. That said, no one can sustain zero sales for long.
I keep hoping that somehow they'll discover that vodka cures the CoronaVirus...save me a few shares of stock when that happens, brother... :D

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes

Return to “POLITICS”