THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Drcthru »

And a child will lead them.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Some good details in Xanders' fall-ball write-up:

- the freshman class is gigantic
- several returning players got bigger and stronger over the offseason
- lot of pieces moving between attack and midfield
- DeSimone looks good
- Zinn can separate from his defender with ease but needs to become more assertive. Sounds like Connor Reed
- Keogh looks more comfortable with the ball in his stick. Baskin also a standout in practice
- Forry lost 15 pounds, presumably to be quicker/more agile, and is a vocal leader
- Epstein showed good chemistry with Marr and Williams on attack
- Hubler looks bigger
- Lots of depth defensively
- One unnamed freshman missed some time with hand, foot, and mouth disease, which has affected 120 students at Homewood. Yikes
- Prouty the favorite to lead a competitive faceoff unit
- Darby the favorite in goal, looks good but coaches want him to be more vocal. Apparently last year in practice the team couldn't score on him

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... look/53245
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

admin wrote:
admin wrote:The FanLax Forum follows the rules of Men's NCAA Lacrosse. This is where you can find more details about the FanLax Rules.

Flag. 1 Minute (2 Day) Unsportsmanlike Taunting Penalty for Wombat. Incident #6.
Wombat, you can still watch the game (read the posts within the FanLax Forum) but you'll only be able to post within the Penalty Box. i.e. I'm posting a reply to your post in the Penalty Box so you'll be able to reply to it on the sideline.

Also, Wombat, for what it's worth, you're officially the first person to serve a penalty at FanLax. Kudos.
See? This is an example of why this place is going to be so much better than the Neanderthal LaxPower.

W
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ha, that's laughable, but good luck.
Look at all the posters you've got on line at this moment and how the discussions have turned into childish bickering and schoolyard name calling. Can throw any line of crap out there you want backed up by nothing, which makes this place just another swirling pool in the cesspool that is social media. Although you might not have appreciated the standards set at LP, ultimately it kept it a reliable place for accurate and informative discussions. You aint got jack now. Awful lot of good folks are nowhere to be found, wonder why.

Edit: So you can't print c-r-a-p at the new place that offers all the freedom to print whatever you want but you can write turd. That makes sense, eh?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote:Ha, that's laughable, but good luck.
Look at all the posters you've got on line at this moment and how the discussions have turned into childish bickering and schoolyard name calling. Can throw any line of turd out there you want backed up by nothing, which makes this place just another swirling pool in the cesspool that is social media. Although you might not have appreciated the standards set at LP, ultimately it kept it a reliable place for accurate and informative discussions. You aint got jack now. Awful lot of good folks are nowhere to be found, wonder why.

Edit: So you can't print c-r-a-p at the new place that offers all the freedom to print whatever you want but you can write turd. That makes sense, eh?
I think most of us who did find our way here in the aftermath of LP's precipitous shutdown, welcome the opportunity to rebuild the discussion community.

Hopefully others will be attracted to join, as they learn about it. And hopefully retention will be good, with informative participation and a minimum of offensive participation. Especially on the lacrosse threads where it would be hoped that this forum attracts enthusiasts of all ages.

On LP, there were certainly lots of jibes and 'trolling' behavior on opposing team threads that went un-edited for the most part, as long as nasty name calling didn't happen. Some of it was pretty immature and caught, however some posters learned how to avoid editing by disguising their messages, making points indirectly and without profanity, yet quite personally offensive and 'out of bounds' IMO nevertheless. But that may have at least been better than an outright profanity food fight.

I think our Admin has made clear that the warning system can eventually lead to actions taken that will minimize out of bounds hitting. He's made pretty clear that this is a work in progress.

It's up to us to help flag things that are unhelpful to setting a constructive tone. Including language. BTW, I don't think 'turd' is particularly helpful, and I'm pretty sure you agree, DMac, you were just making a point.

I think the problem with the former LP moderation was that it inevitably had so much subjectivity. Perhaps there's no avoiding that issue in any moderated site.

My own gripe was that information and topics that I'd consider to be highly relevant, very important, seemed to be forbidden in some cases, but not so much in others. Particularly in terms of critique of coaches and what was actually happening within the team culture. Some coaches seemed to have a shield, sugar coating reality. Others, not so much. But, indeed, the more serious the issue, the more likely to be forbidden until made public through some other medium.

I quite understood the desire to minimize false information potentially damaging to an individual's reputation, whether coach or player or administrator or trainer, but it seems to me a forum like this is the early warning system for what can, and all too frequently does, go wrong in sports cultures. We only need to look at the recent disaster at UMD's football team, in which players were afraid to speak up, to realize that a forum outlet might have led to heightened awareness, and potentially saved a young man's life.

Bottomline, it's up to us collectively to set a tone that is constructive, and to challenge inflammatory posts from posters who have not built any credibility.

In other words, build content that others find interesting and useful.

On getting more participants, I don't know whether this Lummy's/LaxFan team can get access to the LP email file, but I'd bet a nickel that many or most never discovered this site and have lost contact, as opposed to came here and decided they didn't like it. I also would hope that we can share the connection with those who may have an interest in participating, especially as we get close to the primary lax season.

But it will take time to build a robust community.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-that was a great writeup aside from the cliche bigger faster stronger etc spin, that's written about every program and said by every coach. Beyond terrible the Sun can't cover Hopkins lacrosse even for a fallball writeup. Stevens went over to the athletic but sounds like they're not getting into lax coverage.
-One sr 6'3 or taller 8 frosh 6'3 or bigger. Considering all the issues we've had with speed and athleticism over the years interested to see why petro decided to add size like that. I don't remember out muscled as the reason we lost last year. Will make for some fun youtube highlights though. Rangan and Durkin used to smash guys.
-Less worried about who the #1 guy is at fogo since we tend to use 2 given injuries, more hopeful a guy Darby can win the goalie situation outright.
-I think for a premier program in the sport in terms of the media coverage and fan base interest the team gets treated pretty fairly here. They get almost automatic admission to an elite school, $ to go there, are on tv every week, they have to expect accountability from fans when they don't play well.
-Seems pretty certain we'll see a lot of connor, forry, and concannon at midfield or somewhere this year, the rest of it sounds like a grab bag and most of us hadn't really discussed crawley at this pt in his freshman year and he was a contributor from day one.
-hate those gray helmets. we have great university colors, why waste a helmet on that garbage?

Excited for the season.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Drcthru wrote:And a child will lead them.
You appear to be an Anti-Wombatite.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote:-that was a great writeup aside from the cliche bigger faster stronger etc spin, that's written about every program and said by every coach. Beyond terrible the Sun can't cover Hopkins lacrosse even for a fallball writeup. Stevens went over to the athletic but sounds like they're not getting into lax coverage.
-One sr 6'3 or taller 8 frosh 6'3 or bigger. Considering all the issues we've had with speed and athleticism over the years interested to see why petro decided to add size like that. I don't remember out muscled as the reason we lost last year. Will make for some fun youtube highlights though. Rangan and Durkin used to smash guys.
-Less worried about who the #1 guy is at fogo since we tend to use 2 given injuries, more hopeful a guy Darby can win the goalie situation outright.
-I think for a premier program in the sport in terms of the media coverage and fan base interest the team gets treated pretty fairly here. They get almost automatic admission to an elite school, $ to go there, are on tv every week, they have to expect accountability from fans when they don't play well.
-Seems pretty certain we'll see a lot of connor, forry, and concannon at midfield or somewhere this year, the rest of it sounds like a grab bag and most of us hadn't really discussed crawley at this pt in his freshman year and he was a contributor from day one.
-hate those gray helmets. we have great university colors, why waste a helmet on that garbage?

Excited for the season.
The helmets are just for the fall I think. I'm sure there will be plenty more color combos come springtime.

Crawley did come in a bit under the radar—he was ranked below Radz, Eissler, and Dismuke according to IL. But he wasn't some unknown either. Hopefully one of the many freshmen middies is able to break through with a similar contribution. Crawley's effect on the team was a lot more than just in the box score, though.

In 2017, much of the reason we lost to Duke was because they were stronger and faster. Their middies made our guys look like ants. I thought the size and athletic gap closed a good amount in 2018—we looked like different species than Syracuse, for instance—but I don't think it hurts to keep getting bigger as a team. The schedule is a gauntlet. And who knows how the new rules will change the game—maybe it'll pay off getting a jump start on finding these types of kids. The midfield in particular last year was very small and needed to get bigger—Zinn, Mabbett, Degnon, et al will help that. And Jones proved that you can play the SSDM position well without much (ok, any) size, but I would still like to see a big body or two there as backups. Hearing that Hubler got stronger is a start.

The offense will theoretically be good again with the pieces we return on attack and some of the talent that was brought in. The defense (again, theoretically) should be strong too as we return pretty much every important player there. Our season will likely hinge on the performance of the faceoff unit, which totally wore down in the playoffs last year, and the ability of the coaching staff to develop a new goaltender to replace Brock, who played out of his mind down the stretch and is reason numero uno for the second B1G championship.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I hate to nitpick, and I certainly understand the desire to praise an outgoing player for deserved acclaim and effort, but seems to me that Hopkins should expect far better goaltending outcomes than what JHU has achieved in some time, including 2018.

https://hopkinssports.com/cumestats.asp ... &year=2018

I quite agree that Brock's performance during the Big 10 playoffs was outstanding, with a 76% vs Ohio State and 58% vs UMD, but sub 40% for the next 2 games, a 1 goal win over Georgetown and the final loss to Duke, indeed 10 of 17 games sub 50%, 50.6% overall...we can simply say that there's tons of room for improvement.

If Hopkins can't do better, something is desperately wrong with the recruiting/coaching of that position.

If it was true that "the team couldn't score on Darby in practice", then there's indeed excellent reason to hope he'll be able to do so come game time. Again, if accurate, It would be puzzling if he doesn't.

Indeed, if he really is a stone cold ball stopper, the question would be whether the chance to do it under pressure might well have happened last year. I get the 'communication' aspects, but the reality is that stopping the ball consistently, as well as unexpectedly, energizes a defense way more than any tender's verbal directions.

Too much attention to the role of directing a defense in the moment inevitably screws up ball stopping. It's always puzzled me why coaches put so much pressure on the 'directing' aspects of the job. Goalies are somehow to not only recognize the offensive flow and the appropriate defensive package, and when to adjust, but also to instruct defenders on each opponent's specific tendencies, by #, in real time. Ridiculous. Watch the ball, stop the ball.

Coaches, keep it simple for your tenders. Make sure they understand that no other priority comes ahead of focus on the ball. Keep their heads on that task, both in practice and, most importantly, come game time. At each and every moment and opportunity before and during the game, reinforce that focus in a positive way. Everything else flows for a goalie, and for the defense overall, when he's stopping the ball.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

jhu06 wrote:-that was a great writeup aside from the cliche bigger faster stronger etc spin, that's written about every program and said by every coach. Beyond terrible the Sun can't cover Hopkins lacrosse even for a fallball writeup. Stevens went over to the athletic but sounds like they're not getting into lax coverage.

Excited for the season.
They have to keep making new styles of helmets so that an anonymous donor friend of mine keeps bidding and winning each style.

Without naming names, shout out, and, hi Shannon!

I think her den must have 40+ different signed helmets by now.

If she has a beach house, she could probably brace her house against Cat 5 with helmets alone.

There are other strange collectors out there.

The running joke among a few of us, mentioned again at this year’s Alumni Game, is that I know the folks who got the Mascot outfit that I once wore.

The even better part of the story is that the new owner is, and I’m not making this up, a retired local CSI, and I told him the dried blood in one of the knee caps is not mine.

He might have had it tested for Wombat DNA.

I sure as hell hope not, because I’m trying to stay off the registry.

W
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:I hate to nitpick, and I certainly understand the desire to praise an outgoing player for deserved acclaim and effort, but seems to me that Hopkins should expect far better goaltending outcomes than what JHU has achieved in some time, including 2018.

I quite agree that Brock's performance during the Big 10 playoffs was outstanding, with a 76% vs Ohio State and 58% vs UMD, but sub 40% for the next 2 games, a 1 goal win over Georgetown and the final loss to Duke, indeed 10 of 17 games sub 50%, 50.6% overall...we can simply say that there's tons of room for improvement.

If Hopkins can't do better, something is desperately wrong with the recruiting/coaching of that position.

If it was true that "the team couldn't score on Darby in practice", then there's indeed excellent reason to hope he'll be able to do so come game time. Again, if accurate, It would be puzzling if he doesn't.

Indeed, if he really is a stone cold ball stopper, the question would be whether the chance to do it under pressure might well have happened last year. I get the 'communication' aspects, but the reality is that stopping the ball consistently, as well as unexpectedly, energizes a defense way more than any tender's verbal directions.

Too much attention to the role of directing a defense in the moment inevitably screws up ball stopping. It's always puzzled me why coaches put so much pressure on the 'directing' aspects of the job. Goalies are somehow to not only recognize the offensive flow and the appropriate defensive package, and when to adjust, but also to instruct defenders on each opponent's specific tendencies, by #, in real time. Ridiculous. Watch the ball, stop the ball.

Coaches, keep it simple for your tenders. Make sure they understand that no other priority comes ahead of focus on the ball. Keep their heads on that task, both in practice and, most importantly, come game time. At each and every moment and opportunity before and during the game, reinforce that focus in a positive way. Everything else flows for a goalie when he's stopping the ball.
You would know better than I but I do believe whoever the goalie is will be guiding a pretty stout group. More than that, their experience should help the goalie settle in. In the end, you need to stop the ones you should, which to my eye hasn't always happened since Bassett. Of course, it helps to stop a few each game you had no business stopping as well.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:I hate to nitpick, and I certainly understand the desire to praise an outgoing player for deserved acclaim and effort, but seems to me that Hopkins should expect far better goaltending outcomes than what JHU has achieved in some time, including 2018.

Coaches, keep it simple for your tenders. Make sure they understand that no other priority comes ahead of focus on the ball. Keep their heads on that task, both in practice and, most importantly, come game time. At each and every moment and opportunity before and during the game, reinforce that focus in a positive way. Everything else flows for a goalie when he's stopping the ball.
You would know better than I but I do believe whoever the goalie is will be guiding a pretty stout group. More than that, their experience should help the goalie settle in. In the end, you need to stop the ones you should, which to my eye hasn't always happened since Bassett. Of course, it helps to stop a few each game you had no business stopping as well.
I agree that Hop has the potential to be a better defense, including more guys who can play ssdm versus bigger, stronger players.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hey, MDlf76,

Lots of great posts here from you with which I holy, uh, wholly, concur.

W approves of your messages.

We could use folks like you in Cong...

Oh, forget that thought. That’s hopeless and more like WC talk.

We could use more folks like you here at FoL.

Keep up the great work and have a great holiday season!

Regards,
W
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Pretty interesting that Tal Bruno went #34 in the NLL draft in September. For some context, Connor Kelly went #33 and Tinney, the only other BJ, went #18. It's really easy to see Tal being very successful as a box defender.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hopkins D3 football playoffs today vs MIT at Homewood, noon.
Streaming live at hopkinssports.com too.
1E8C0F9D-1BC1-47D9-BC81-6000DE77AAB5.jpeg
1E8C0F9D-1BC1-47D9-BC81-6000DE77AAB5.jpeg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thanks for the heads-up. I would not have called a pass to the end zone when up 42-0, but this kind of thing came up on a Lax Power thread maybe a few years ago without a clear consensus emerging.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

44WeWantMore wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. I would not have called a pass to the end zone when up 42-0, but this kind of thing came up on a Lax Power thread maybe a few years ago without a clear consensus emerging.
Boxscore shows Hop up 42-0 at half. Only touchdown of second half came in middle of 4th quarter by the backup QB (not Tammaro). It would seem Hopkins displayed plenty of restraint and sportsmanship. The second round is where this successful program has tripped up lately - best of luck.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thanks for looking at the box score. I should have done so myself before posting.
I was just tuning in at that point and did not realize it was the substitute QB (and presumably other subs).
It is hard to put in the subs, and then tell them not to go for the goal.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

44WeWantMore wrote:Thanks for looking at the box score. I should have done so myself before posting.
I was just tuning in at that point and did not realize it was the substitute QB (and presumably other subs).
It is hard to put in the subs, and then tell them not to go for the goal.
You hear about the Iowa-Illinois 63-0 game yesterday?

Same thing. Iowa was doing everything they reasonably could to not score, but Illinois still gave up two more touchdowns.

Wanna bet Illinois has a new coach next year?

Next up is Frostburg. Probably at Frostburg.

If anyone goes out there, I know a lot of very good restaurants out in the true Western Maryland (NOT McDaniel). Work out there a lot, and no, NOT at the State Pen in Cumberland. Not behind the wire yet, although I have been behind the wire here at FanLax already. Inmate #001 in the Penalty Box.
42A4AEE0-3A7B-4FFE-8074-4971160B386A.jpeg
42A4AEE0-3A7B-4FFE-8074-4971160B386A.jpeg (104.15 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
Best restaurant is in downtown Hagerstown, Schmankerl Stube, authentic Bavarian cuisine and all beer on draft is German.

Say hi to Chef Dieter and Herr Sekula. And Krista behind the bar.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”