All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

ardilla secreta

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by ardilla secreta »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm Here's a good map site which updates frequently :

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1124546
Interesting how WVA has none. :lol:
You have to test, to have 1.
I asked my friend in West Virginia if there were any CV cases yet? Here’s her text.

“No CV yet but we don’t have any tests. I guess they think Hillbillies are expendable.”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

calourie wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm
Trinity wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:28 pm The fact is they delayed testing Americans due to @realDonaldTrump’s instability. His emotional insanity has scared others in the Administration from acting. What happens when unknowing carriers go to visit their elderly parents.
Trump is doing a great job.
See. Even Trinity agrees its' not Trump's fault. No one has control over their own demons.

Looks like there will end up being 600 new cases in the US today. Just wait til the testing actually starts up for real.
This is good. We didn’t want to get out over our skis with testing.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

CDC worst case scenario estimates as reported by the NY Times. Will not happen, but it is sobering.

The C.D.C.’s scenarios were depicted in terms of percentages of the population. Translated into absolute numbers by independent experts using simple models of how viruses spread, the worst-case figures would be staggering if no actions were taken to slow transmission.

Between 160 million and 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/c ... e=Homepage

DocBarrister :shock: :o
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm Here's a good map site which updates frequently :

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1124546
Interesting how WVA has none. :lol:
You have to test, to have 1.
I asked my friend in West Virginia if there were any CV cases yet? Here’s her text.

“No CV yet but we don’t have any tests. I guess they think Hillbillies are expendable.”
Your friend is an insightful hillbilly. Best wishes to her.

DocBarrister (Trump don’t care) :|
Last edited by DocBarrister on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

Best (free) explainer I've found on the testing shortfall :

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... esting-usa
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:39 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:04 pm The roller coaster of fear is subsiding today, it seems.
Dow is currently up 200. For now.
If the above doesn't happend by EOD, the markets will be unsettled over the weekend. Makes for an ugly market Monday.

The algorithms wont go in to the weekend "long", even with some considerable clarity from Trump.

If it doesn't happend by Monday morning, I'd expect more downside volatility.

Some of my 1% buddy's that are in the business are buyers for themselves....none are suggesting they are sellers for clients. Only a few retail margin issues.
Market bounces back:

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... ssion=true
old salt

Post by old salt »

Hopkins developed test, video consultations & initial drive thru testing in MD :
https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... -thru.html

Friday afternoon, the Trump Administration announced during a press conference it is working with commercial labs and business leaders to expand availability of drive-thru testing sites across the country. Those sites may be cropping up in parking lots of major retailers like Walmart.

To be clear, not every patient with suspicious symptoms is eligible to be tested for COVID-19 at these sites now. Currently, testing resources are very limited nationwide and local health officials want to ensure they have enough capacity to continue serving the most high risk patients, Simmons said.

In order to receive a test at a LifeBridge site, for instance, Simmons said patients must first be evaluated and referred by care providers working in the LifeBridge Health Virtual Hospital. The system's in-house telemedicine hub was on track to treat about 20,000 patients virtually this year. Dr. Jonathan Thierman, an emergency medicine physician who leads the virtual hospital, said patients concerned about COVID-19 infection are being directed to call into the virtual hospital by urgent cares and primary care physicians. Nurses and doctors staffing the virtual hospital conduct phone and video evaluations of patient callers and their symptoms, and determine if each patient is at low, medium or high risk of coronavirus infection. Only if a patient is determined to be high risk can they be referred to and tested at a drive thru collection site.

Thierman said the virtual hospital has already seen "exponential growth" in call volumes over the last few days, as coronavirus cases and fears spread in Maryland. He said the center evaluated 33 people for COVID-19 concerns on Wednesday, 70 people on Thursday and is on track to see more than 100 Friday. The center has had to rapidly increase the number of nurses and doctors on hand to field calls, Thierman said, and will likely need more hands on deck in days to come.

A major goal of the expanded telehealth effort is keeping people who may have the coronavirus recovering in their homes, and out of emergency rooms and urgent care waiting rooms throughout the state, Thierman said. Hospitals hope that will help to slow the spread of the virus.

"If a person who is infected comes and sits down in the ER, they're potentially infecting members of the public, and our hospital staff members," he said. "This way, we can still get people some answers, but we don't want patients to put anyone else or themselves at more risk."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 pm So not having kits was a good thing?
Yes, If they were only 50% accurate, like many of China's.
IF
🤡
China supplied the WHO?
🤡
Stop misleading people. He probably eats penis also.
🤡
First SARS, now COVID19. Does global citizen clownboy sense a pattern yet ?
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... and-africa

The coronavirus disease, known as COVID-19, is a frightening reminder of the imminent global threat posed by emerging infectious diseases. Although epidemics have arisen during all of human history, they now seem to be on the rise. In just the past 20 years, coronaviruses alone have caused three major outbreaks worldwide. Even more troubling, the duration between these three pandemics has gotten shorter.

I am a virologist and associate director of the Animal Diagnostic Laboratory at Penn State University, and my laboratory studies zoonotic viruses, those that jump from animals and infect people. Most of the pandemics have at least one thing in common: They began their deadly work in Asia or Africa.

Live animal markets, commonplace throughout Asia and Africa, feature crowded conditions and the intimate mixing of multiple species, including humans. This too plays a key role in how a killer pathogen could emerge and spread between species.

So is traditional Chinese medicine, which purports to provide remedies for a host of conditions like arthritis, epilepsy and erectile dysfunction. Although no scientific evidence exists to support most of the claims, Asia is an enormous consumer of traditional Chinese medicine products. Tigers, bears, rhinos, pangolins and other animal species are poached so their body parts can be mixed into these questionable medications. This, too, is a major contributor to increasing animal-human interactions. What's more, demand is likely to go up, as online marketing soars along with Asia's relentless economic growth.

A matter of time
The viruses, thousands of them, continue to evolve. It's just a matter of time before another major outbreak occurs in this region of the world. All the coronaviruses that caused recent epidemics, including the COVID-19, jumped from bats to another animal before infecting humans. It's difficult to predict precisely what chain of events cause a pandemic, but one thing is certain: these risks can be mitigated by developing strategies to minimize human effects which contribute to the ecological disturbances.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:13 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:55 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 pm So not having kits was a good thing?
Yes, If they were only 50% accurate, like many of China's.
IF
🤡
China supplied the WHO?
🤡
Stop misleading people. He probably eats penis also.
🤡
First SARS, now COVID19. Does global citizen clownboy sense a pattern yet ?
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... and-africa

The coronavirus disease, known as COVID-19, is a frightening reminder of the imminent global threat posed by emerging infectious diseases. Although epidemics have arisen during all of human history, they now seem to be on the rise. In just the past 20 years, coronaviruses alone have caused three major outbreaks worldwide. Even more troubling, the duration between these three pandemics has gotten shorter.

I am a virologist and associate director of the Animal Diagnostic Laboratory at Penn State University, and my laboratory studies zoonotic viruses, those that jump from animals and infect people. Most of the pandemics have at least one thing in common: They began their deadly work in Asia or Africa.

Live animal markets, commonplace throughout Asia and Africa, feature crowded conditions and the intimate mixing of multiple species, including humans. This too plays a key role in how a killer pathogen could emerge and spread between species.

So is traditional Chinese medicine, which purports to provide remedies for a host of conditions like arthritis, epilepsy and erectile dysfunction. Although no scientific evidence exists to support most of the claims, Asia is an enormous consumer of traditional Chinese medicine products. Tigers, bears, rhinos, pangolins and other animal species are poached so their body parts can be mixed into these questionable medications. This, too, is a major contributor to increasing animal-human interactions. What's more, demand is likely to go up, as online marketing soars along with Asia's relentless economic growth.

A matter of time
The viruses, thousands of them, continue to evolve. It's just a matter of time before another major outbreak occurs in this region of the world. All the coronaviruses that caused recent epidemics, including the COVID-19, jumped from bats to another animal before infecting humans. It's difficult to predict precisely what chain of events cause a pandemic, but one thing is certain: these risks can be mitigated by developing strategies to minimize human effects which contribute to the ecological disturbances.
Yes. Those people are dirty
🤡
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Article from May 2018

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tim-ziem ... 9d11d02290

“We have no idea at this point who at the White House is in charge of global health security, at a time when infectious diseases can spread like wildfire in a matter of days threatening millions of Americans here and abroad,” Rieser said.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I hope the staff at Maralago gets tested asap.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Bart

Post by Bart »

Local grocery store usually open 24 hrs closed from midnight to 6 AM to stock shelves. I wake early normally so I get my Timmy Ho's and head to said store to get a few things. Line out the door. Luckily I get in and now instead of just eggs and bread I pick up some other items. It was a total mad house that by the time I left there was no paper products left as well as the other items you would expect. Poor kid at the register was 25 minutes into her day and already frazzeled. Luckily for her the store put items they had a limit on in the register so after the maximum number it would not let it scan. Made it easier for her but people were still unpleasant.

Talked to another friend who works in trucking that gets the material to said store. All hands on deck in both the cabs and warehouses where these items are stocked.

I guess this does not surprise me. It is such a mixed message out there. All the "experts" are saying don't panic.....yet have at LEAST 14 days of food on hand. People appear to be choosing 14 weeks of food. The fear of the unknown is a powerful force.
RedFromMI

Re: All things CoronaVirus COVID-19

Post by RedFromMI »

Twitter thread from former Surgeon General to US Vivek Murthy (12:21 pm 3/14/20):
THREAD: Yesterday, I spoke with doctors from one of the nation’s leading academic hospitals located in a state where #COVID19 cases are increasing quickly. This is what they told me: They've been seeing *many* patients with symptoms concerning for COVID19 who need testing (1/x)
But they are unable to get the *vast majority* of them COVID19 testing. Their only resource for testing is the state lab. But the state lab is severely limited in capacity and it will take another few weeks for the hospital lab to implement its own test. (2/x)
So the hospital is saving their test requests for only those who are severely ill - such as those with ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) who have tested negative for other conditions (like influenza). In other words, they are having to ration tests. (3/x)
For patients who do get tested, it is taking several days for the test to come back during which time their contacts (including doctors and nurses) have to be quarantined, taking them out of the workforce right when we need them the most. (4/x)
They also don’t have enough personal protective equipment. The doctors and nurses are having to reuse masks which they know is risky but they have no other choice. They are worried about running out of gowns and gloves as well. (5/x)
The doctors I spoke with are worried and scared. They know this isn’t the best way to take care of patients. And they are putting their own health at risk in the process. (6/x)
This is happening at one of the *top hospitals in the United States of America.* And they are not alone. This is the daily struggle for hospitals and clinics across America. (7/x)
The measure of whether we have enough testing is whether people who need COVID19 tests can get them. By that measure, we continue to fall short. (8/x)
Because our visibility into the spread of COVID19 in the U.S. is so compromised due to lack of testing, it makes it even more urgent that we be aggressive about mitigation efforts like physical distancing so we can reduce the likelihood of further spread. (9/x)
So if you are reading the news about games being cancelled, schools being suspended, and people avoiding group events due to #COVID19 - and if you're wondering if it's an overreaction, the answer is no. The earlier we act, the more lives we save. Period. (10/x END)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

We’re up to 2,195 confirmed cases in a nation that hardly does enough testing. :?

Trump really botched this. First case was confirmed on January 20, and we are just ramping up testing now?!? The United States is two months behind.

It is absolutely criminal that Trump declared a national emergency only yesterday.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“McConnell needs to call the Senate back into session this weekend for a vote on paid sick leave.Millions of workers, who have symptoms or kids whose schools have closed, do not know if they will get paid if they stay home on Monday. Why is McConnell leaving them in limbo?”

Senator Chris Murphy, D Connecticut

Meanwhile:
Four people at Mar-a-Lago with Trump last weekend have now tested positive for coronavirus: Bolsonaro's lawyer Karina Kufa, his aide Fabio Wajngarten, Miami mayor Francis Suarez, and an unnamed Republican donor.
Attachments
8730CDDA-0495-4BFA-8BDA-A067081382EC.jpeg
8730CDDA-0495-4BFA-8BDA-A067081382EC.jpeg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Great idea from Peggy Noonan on Twitter

Peggy Noonan
@Peggynoonannyc
17h
Nice idea out there to help local shops /restaurants/services suffering from decreased business due to virus. Go in, ask if you can buy a gift certificate for future use. They get the money when they need it, you will use it down the road. #inthistogether
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:45 am Local grocery store usually open 24 hrs closed from midnight to 6 AM to stock shelves. I wake early normally so I get my Timmy Ho's and head to said store to get a few things. Line out the door. Luckily I get in and now instead of just eggs and bread I pick up some other items. It was a total mad house that by the time I left there was no paper products left as well as the other items you would expect. Poor kid at the register was 25 minutes into her day and already frazzeled. Luckily for her the store put items they had a limit on in the register so after the maximum number it would not let it scan. Made it easier for her but people were still unpleasant.

Talked to another friend who works in trucking that gets the material to said store. All hands on deck in both the cabs and warehouses where these items are stocked.

I guess this does not surprise me. It is such a mixed message out there. All the "experts" are saying don't panic.....yet have at LEAST 14 days of food on hand. People appear to be choosing 14 weeks of food. The fear of the unknown is a powerful force.
Just think, if Bernie were President we could have a toilet paper shortage without having to go through a pandemic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:47 am Great idea from Peggy Noonan on Twitter

Peggy Noonan
@Peggynoonannyc
17h
Nice idea out there to help local shops /restaurants/services suffering from decreased business due to virus. Go in, ask if you can buy a gift certificate for future use. They get the money when they need it, you will use it down the road. #inthistogether
Amen. My wife and I are regulars each Friday evening at our local Italian restaurant, we walk in, we give a nod and a smile, sit at a barside table and never need to order, just "the usual". we often catch up with many locals as well, the place can get crowded.....last night, not so much. I hope it was because everyone else was consumed and stuck at the grocery store. Our local Harris Teeter, ran out meats on Thursday evening, and when I mean ran out, I mean deli meat as well. Insanity.

So yes, 1000x, support local.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

And leave bigger tips.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:39 am Best (free) explainer I've found on the testing shortfall :

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... esting-usa
I believe I posted that a few days ago (or a very similar article) Remember this: https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/outbreaks/history.html

Should have laid off the 🦌
🤡
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”