All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:33 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:24 am From a good authority,,,,

Be prepared as you can be....a decision to lock everything down, like Italy, is approaching.

Also...one man with virus gives us his feedback on symptoms: https://www.nbcnews.com/video/coronavir ... IY2wpjRj6E
Yep. I think folks here are trying to get ahead of what Italy ultimately had to do. If a general lockdown across the country for a period of time interrupts the spread all of us will be thanking the people who make or have made those decisions.

Some good news this AM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... =applenews

"Roche Holding AG won emergency approval from the U.S. government for a highly automated coronavirus test, potentially speeding up tenfold the ability to test patients.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted an “emergency use authorization” to the test, which runs on Roche’s cobas 6800/8800 systems. The tool also is available in Europe and countries that accept its CE marking for medical devices, Roche said.

The 8800 version is capable of testing 4,128 patients a day, and the 6800 can test as many as 1,440, the Basel, Switzerland-based company said. Roche shares climbed as much as 4.9% early Friday, leading the Stoxx Europe 600 Index.

“We are increasing the speed definitely by a factor of 10,” Thomas Schinecker, head of Roche’s diagnostics unit, said in an interview."
This is great but it means nothing in the immediate future (US) unless someone is buying and installing the units. Also, I suspect this is not some great new innovation but rather another product entry into the field with specs that are similar to what is available from other manufacturers. This is clearly a product that has been available in Europe for sometime and is only now getting regulatory approval for sale in the US. The 10x may just be an increase over their own previous model. I have not read the article, just responding to what you have quoted from their press release.
PS: Had a chance to read the article and it appears they have already installed a number of units in the US - pre FDA clearance in the US (probably as part of their pre-clearance clinical trials). Was right, the 10x number is only in comparison to their previous product offerings.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Cooter

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Cooter »

Grocery stores are doing a thriving business. I went in for a milk this morning and it looked like the day before Thanksgiving.

Toilet Tissue sales are high. :P
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:57 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am White House Knew Coronavirus Would Be A 'Major Threat' — But Response Fell Short

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/12/81488135 ... fell-short

But at the same time, Secretary Azar has not always given the president the worst-case scenario of what could happen. My understanding is he(TRUMP) did not push to do aggressive additional testing in recent weeks, and that's partly because more testing might have led to more cases being discovered of coronavirus outbreak, and the president had made clear - the lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential reelection this fall.
MY UNDERSYTANDING IS blah blah blah

We're going to talk about how President Trump and some members of his administration have mismanaged the coronavirus outbreak, helping fuel the crisis.

More bulls*t claims with no substantiation. 4 years of this BS.
Who turned down the test kits from the WHO. Why didn’t we let them help?

Make America Mozambique Again
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Ah ignorance raises its hand. Trump knew in January about the issue. Trump classified information action and would not let it be released rather than inform the public like every other nation. Trump turned down WHO. Trump gutted the team designed to manage this very thing. Trump took money from CDC. Trump wants to cut the CDC budget for the next fiscal year. Trump forbid the CDC from telling people over 60 not to fly. Trump is still classifying information the public should have. People are going to die because the mfer is incompetent. Nothing good to say about anyone defending him at this point either
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

CU88 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:35 am White House Knew Coronavirus Would Be A 'Major Threat' — But Response Fell Short

But at the same time, Secretary Azar has not always given the president the worst-case scenario of what could happen. My understanding is he(TRUMP) did not push to do aggressive additional testing in recent weeks, and that's partly because more testing might have led to more cases being discovered of coronavirus outbreak, and the president had made clear - the lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential reelection this fall.
Brazilian President Bolsonaro and his press secretary who were both in Mar-el-Lago in close proximity to both Trump and Pence as well as many other administration officials has have tested positive for coronavirus. Bolsonaro called it a fantasy at that time.

No testing for the president or any folks who were also in attendance at this point.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:59 am Ah ignorance raises its hand. Trump knew in January about the issue. Trump classified information action and would not let it be released rather than inform the public like every other nation. Trump turned down WHO. Trump gutted the team designed to manage this very thing. Trump took money from CDC. Trump wants to cut the CDC budget for the next fiscal year. Trump forbid the CDC from telling people over 60 not to fly. Trump is still classifying information the public should have. People are going to die because the mfer is incompetent. Nothing good to say about anyone defending him at this point either
Ya know ... I always thought “OCanada” and “Old Salt” were the same person. Am I wrong about that?!?

Agree with OCanada completely.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:59 am Ah ignorance raises its hand. Trump knew in January about the issue. Trump classified information action and would not let it be released rather than inform the public like every other nation. Trump turned down WHO. Trump gutted the team designed to manage this very thing. Trump took money from CDC. Trump wants to cut the CDC budget for the next fiscal year. Trump forbid the CDC from telling people over 60 not to fly. Trump is still classifying information the public should have. People are going to die because the mfer is incompetent. Nothing good to say about anyone defending him at this point either
Message received.
re: Trump gutted the team designed to manage this very thing. Trump took money from CDC.
The president’s budget proposals have consistently called for reduced funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but Congress hasn’t enacted those cuts. Some Democrats have correctly said Trump “tried” to implement such cuts, while others wrongly claimed he “slashed funding of the CDC” or “cut the funding,”

Trump classified information action and would not let it be released rather than inform the public like every other nation.
“So let me clarify,” Fauci said. “I have never been muzzled ever, and I’ve been doing this since the administration of Ronald Reagan. I’m not being muzzled by this administration. What happened — which was misinterpreted — is that we were set up to go on some shows, and when the vice president took over, we said, ‘Let’s regroup and figure out how we’re going to be communicating.’ So I had to just stand down on a couple of shows and resubmit for clearance. And when I resubmitted for clearance, I got cleared. So I have not been muzzled at all.

re Trump forbids the CDC from telling people over 60 not to fly

NEW YORK — The White House overruled health officials who wanted to recommend that elderly and physically fragile Americans be advised not to fly on commercial airlines because of the new coronavirus, a federal official told The Associated Press.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention submitted the plan as a way of trying to control the virus, but White House officials ordered the air travel recommendation be removed, said the official who had direct knowledge of the plan. Trump administration officials have since suggested certain people should consider not traveling, but have stopped short of the stronger guidance sought by the CDC.

The person who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity did not have authorization to talk about the matter. The person did not have direct knowledge about why the decision to kill the language was made or who made the call.

re:People are going to die because the mfer is incompetent.

Totally unsubstantiated claim. Just like you've all been making for 4 years
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Bend over. Trump isn’t finished with you yet. Bunch of non sequiturs.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Doc, Ocanada never defended Epstein in any way.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:28 am
Message received.
re: Trump gutted the team designed to manage this very thing. Trump took money from CDC.
The president’s budget proposals have consistently called for reduced funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but Congress hasn’t enacted those cuts. Some Democrats have correctly said Trump “tried” to implement such cuts, while others wrongly claimed he “slashed funding of the CDC” or “cut the funding,”

Trump classified information action and would not let it be released rather than inform the public like every other nation.
“So let me clarify,” Fauci said. “I have never been muzzled ever, and I’ve been doing this since the administration of Ronald Reagan. I’m not being muzzled by this administration. What happened — which was misinterpreted — is that we were set up to go on some shows, and when the vice president took over, we said, ‘Let’s regroup and figure out how we’re going to be communicating.’ So I had to just stand down on a couple of shows and resubmit for clearance. And when I resubmitted for clearance, I got cleared. So I have not been muzzled at all.

NEW YORK — The White House overruled health officials who wanted to recommend that elderly and physically fragile Americans be advised not to fly on commercial airlines because of the new coronavirus, a federal official told The Associated Press.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention submitted the plan as a way of trying to control the virus, but White House officials ordered the air travel recommendation be removed, said the official who had direct knowledge of the plan. Trump administration officials have since suggested certain people should consider not traveling, but have stopped short of the stronger guidance sought by the CDC.

The person who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity did not have authorization to talk about the matter. The person did not have direct knowledge about why the decision to kill the language was made or who made the call.

“As he warned that the worst is yet to come for the coronavirus outbreak in the US, the nation's top infectious-diseases expert told House lawmakers it would be nice if President Donald Trump hadn't eliminated the National Security Council's global-health unit.

"We worked very well with that office. It would be nice if the office was still there," Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing on Wednesday.”
🤡
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:39 am Bend over. Trump isn’t finished with you yet. Bunch of non sequiturs.
Bend over the MSM isn't through with you yet. You made claims and facts do not support those claims
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:42 am
Message received.

“As he warned that the worst is yet to come for the coronavirus outbreak in the US, the nation's top infectious-diseases expert told House lawmakers it would be nice if President Donald Trump hadn't eliminated the National Security Council's global-health unit.

"We worked very well with that office. It would be nice if the office was still there," Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a House Oversight and Reform Committee hearing on Wednesday.”
🤡
The Washington Post reported that former National Security Adviser John Bolton dissolved the NSC’s Office of Global Health Security and Biodefense in May 2018 in a reorganization effort. That’s when Rear Adm. R. Timothy Ziemer, who was senior director of the office, left his post. He was not replaced.

Just because Ziemer’s position was discontinued does not mean everyone who was part of the team was fired or that all of the functions of the directorate ceased. According to reporting by the Atlantic and the Washington Post, some team members were shifted to other groups, and others took over some of Ziemer’s duties. An NSC spokesman at the time said that the administration “remains committed to global health, global health security and biodefense, and will continue to address these issues with the same resolve under the new structure.”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

We need to hear two things -

Trump declaring a national emergency, which opens up FEMA. Sounds like that is coming at 3:00

Announcement of a significant fiscal response from .gov.

Both need to happen by end of business today if we want the markets to calm down.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The roller coaster of fear is subsiding today, it seems.
Dow is currently up 200. For now.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:50 am
Message received.

🤡
The Washington Post reported that former National Security Adviser John Bolton dissolved the NSC’s Office of Global Health Security and Biodefense in May 2018 in a reorganization effort. That’s when Rear Adm. R. Timothy Ziemer, who was senior director of the office, left his post. He was not replaced.

Just because Ziemer’s position was discontinued does not mean everyone who was part of the team was fired or that all of the functions of the directorate ceased. According to reporting by the Atlantic and the Washington Post, some team members were shifted to other groups, and others took over some of Ziemer’s duties. An NSC spokesman at the time said that the administration “remains committed to global health, global health security and biodefense, and will continue to address these issues with the same resolve under the new structure.”
When we cut our leveraged lending unit during the last crisis unit, some of the guys were still around a few years later.... we weren’t doing deals but they were still around with substantially less capacity. Fauci was wrong. 6ft is right.

🤡
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Cooter wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am Grocery stores are doing a thriving business. I went in for a milk this morning and it looked like the day before Thanksgiving.

Toilet Tissue sales are high. :P
Wife did her normal, mid-week grocery run and could not find any paper tows, paper napkins -- basically anything you could use as a wipe. The store was rationing toilet paper.

As usual, total over reaction.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:08 am

Brazilian President Bolsonaro and his press secretary who were both in Mar-el-Lago in close proximity to both Trump and Pence as well as many other administration officials has have tested positive for coronavirus. Bolsonaro called it a fantasy at that time.

No testing for the president or any folks who were also in attendance at this point.
… as far as the public is being told. I am skeptical that is the truth. There will be cases in WH sooner rather than later. Will be interesting to see how they handle it. They won't be able to hide it.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

President Bolsonaro tested negative.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:18 am
Ya know ... I always thought “OCanada” and “Old Salt” were the same person. Am I wrong about that?!?

Agree with OCanada completely.

DocBarrister :)
:lol: Yes - you are wrong.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:08 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:50 am
Message received.

🤡

When we cut our leveraged lending unit during the last crisis unit, some of the guys were still around a few years later.... we weren’t doing deals but they were still around with substantially less capacity. Fauci was wrong. 6ft is right.

🤡
OK dipstick

One more time—in 2009 1,000 people had already died and the media was praising Barack Obama. 12-17 thousand more people died over the next 6 months—Still praise for Obama. Nothing canceled of shut down.

40 people now dead and Trumps a buffoon, totally incompetent and incapable of handling the problem.

Shove the clowncar in your clown car garage.

Return to “POLITICS”