NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
isaacwright22

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by isaacwright22 »

Don’t be surprised if you see some gnarly news about some ac players and post game activities that recently took place :shock:
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

ah23 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Dr. Pretorious wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 am
The comment about fourth-quarter scoring is also similarly narrow minded. The vast majority of all the goals that Salisbury has given up this year have also come in the fourth quarter, against their second and third team defenseman. Salisbury is also averaging 20 goals a game and could easily put up 25 to 30 per game except that Berkman shows more class and doesn’t feel the need to run up the score to cover any insecurities…
Speaking of insecurity. I can only speculate about how it feels when another team gets the early season coronation that Salisbury fans expect their team to get. Not a good look.

I have to address the arguments, because they are wrong on all counts and I have a pathological need to call BS out when I see it.
"The vast majority of all the goals that Salisbury has given up this year have also come in the fourth quarter, against their second and third team defenseman."
Fourth quarter goals allowed:

- Salisbury: 32.56% (14 goals out of 43 total)
- Tufts: 35.71% (15 goals out of 42 total)

Fourth quarter shots faced:

- Salisbury: 31.12% (61 shots out of 196 total)
- Tufts: 32.93% (54 shots out of 164 total)

Which team did you say was more impacted by letting off the gas in garbage time?
"Salisbury is also averaging 20 goals a game and could easily put up 25 to 30 per game except that Berkman shows more class and doesn’t feel the need to run up the score to cover any insecurities…"
Fourth quarter goal scoring in 2020:

- Salisbury: 24.53% (33 goals out of 134 total)
- Tufts: 20.00% (20 goals out of 100 total)

Fourth quarter shots taken

- Salisbury: 22.89% (87 shots out of 380 total)
- Tufts: 21.32% (68 shots out of 319 total)

Which team did you say was the one "showing more class" by not running up the score?
"Salisbury...could easily put up 25 to 30 per game"
Are they playing Berry every week? Then sure! Otherwise, not a chance in the world.

- Salisbury vs. unranked opponents: 23.25 GPG (93 goals in 4 games vs. Berry/Coast Guard/OWU/Rhodes)
- Salisbury vs. ranked opponents: 13.66 GPG (41 goals in 3 games vs. Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevens)

Anyone can score on cupcakes. Colby scored 27 goals against Husson earlier this year. That is irrelevant. Salisbury's offense having a ten-goal dropoff between ranked and unranked opponents tells us something.

But wait, let's be fair. Maybe Tufts suffered the same massive dropoff in scoring when they faced ranked opponents. Let's take a look.

- Tufts vs unranked opponents: 24.5 GPG (49 goals in 2 games vs. Colby/Springfield)
- Tufts vs. ranked opponents: 25.5 GPG (51 goals in 2 games vs. Amherst, Ithaca)

Whoops. Guess not.

Let's keep going with this. Maybe Salisbury just has been the only team to figure out some of the country's best defenses! Maybe 13.66 GPG against their slate is actually super impressive!

- Lynchburg has played three other ranked teams this year. Both F&M (19) and Cabrini (17) scored more against the Hornets than Salisbury (16) did.
- Stevens has played one other team that was ranked (at the time) - Dickinson. Dickinson scored 13 on Stevens; Salisbury scored 14.
- Gettysburg has faced three other ranked teams this year. W&L scored the same amount as Salisbury did (11). Stevenson (5) and York (6) both scored less.

Hmm. So Salisbury's offense truly doesn't stand out when compared to other ranked teams.

Yet again, let's try to play both sides here. Maybe Tufts wasn't doing anything special. Maybe they were just beating up on bad defenses who had been lit up by other teams too!

Colby goals allowed: 3, 19, 24 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 11.00 gaa
Springfield goals allowed: 14, 14, 16, 25 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 14.66 gaa
Amherst goals allowed: 8, 8, 9, 25 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 8.33 gaa
Ithaca goals allowed: 5, 9, 12, 18, 26 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 11.00 gaa

Ah. Nope. Not even close.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look. Salisbury is obviously a great team and a great program. I do the weekly FanLax forum poll, and I had the Gulls ranked #1...until this week, when Tufts showed that they are capable of blowing top five title contenders off the field like a midseason tuneup. No one else in the country has shown anything close to that ability. I don't have any doubts that Salisbury is/was (we'll see what happens with the season) the second-best team in the country this year, but the gap between Tufts and everyone else - even given the small sample size - looked significant.
Gee whiz - must have really hit a nerve!
Hope you didn’t take too much time away from your job/ family to research & compose your magnum opus. But the time spent is telling - sorry about getting you so upset. 😉

I clearly must not have done a good job with my initial post because you also seem to have completely missed the point I was trying to make.

I was not arguing that Tufts may not be the best team in the country; I was also not arguing that Salisbury was ... Quite the contrary, my whole point was that it was far, far too early in the season (the virus not withstanding) to crown anybody as the best in the country after 1/4 of the season is played. Not Tufts, not Salisbury, not RIT, Amherst or any one else. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Finally, I am not a Salisbury fan. Indeed, having lived my entire 62+ years in eastern Pennsylvania, I am a huge fan of the Centennial Conference. Nothing would please me more than to see Gettysburg or F&M take down all of the above mentioned teams. I do however note, with some amusement, your apparent need to weave the snarky comments about Salisbury and their fans Into your argument. That does seem to suggest an insecurity lurking real close to the surface ...

Some might also say it’s a sign of ignorance, or perhaps arrogance, to presume to know what is in the mind of someone you’ve never met, or who they root for - and then to feel compelled to attempt to belittle them for it.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

So which teams lose the most and how should we look at pre-season rankings for next season?

Too early? Too soon?
bulax

Post by bulax »

Not so sure how things will shake up with Amherst. Two very problematic instances in two years is a terrible look for the team, and I cannot imagine will be without team wide disciplinary action.
Jaycolb_ashton

Post by Jaycolb_ashton »

Jon Thompson- complete joke,
Jon Thompson’s players involved in the incident- despicable, disgusting, pathetic.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm
ah23 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Dr. Pretorious wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 am
The comment about fourth-quarter scoring is also similarly narrow minded. The vast majority of all the goals that Salisbury has given up this year have also come in the fourth quarter, against their second and third team defenseman. Salisbury is also averaging 20 goals a game and could easily put up 25 to 30 per game except that Berkman shows more class and doesn’t feel the need to run up the score to cover any insecurities…
Speaking of insecurity. I can only speculate about how it feels when another team gets the early season coronation that Salisbury fans expect their team to get. Not a good look.

I have to address the arguments, because they are wrong on all counts and I have a pathological need to call BS out when I see it.
"The vast majority of all the goals that Salisbury has given up this year have also come in the fourth quarter, against their second and third team defenseman."
Fourth quarter goals allowed:

- Salisbury: 32.56% (14 goals out of 43 total)
- Tufts: 35.71% (15 goals out of 42 total)

Fourth quarter shots faced:

- Salisbury: 31.12% (61 shots out of 196 total)
- Tufts: 32.93% (54 shots out of 164 total)

Which team did you say was more impacted by letting off the gas in garbage time?
"Salisbury is also averaging 20 goals a game and could easily put up 25 to 30 per game except that Berkman shows more class and doesn’t feel the need to run up the score to cover any insecurities…"
Fourth quarter goal scoring in 2020:

- Salisbury: 24.53% (33 goals out of 134 total)
- Tufts: 20.00% (20 goals out of 100 total)

Fourth quarter shots taken

- Salisbury: 22.89% (87 shots out of 380 total)
- Tufts: 21.32% (68 shots out of 319 total)

Which team did you say was the one "showing more class" by not running up the score?
"Salisbury...could easily put up 25 to 30 per game"
Are they playing Berry every week? Then sure! Otherwise, not a chance in the world.

- Salisbury vs. unranked opponents: 23.25 GPG (93 goals in 4 games vs. Berry/Coast Guard/OWU/Rhodes)
- Salisbury vs. ranked opponents: 13.66 GPG (41 goals in 3 games vs. Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Stevens)

Anyone can score on cupcakes. Colby scored 27 goals against Husson earlier this year. That is irrelevant. Salisbury's offense having a ten-goal dropoff between ranked and unranked opponents tells us something.

But wait, let's be fair. Maybe Tufts suffered the same massive dropoff in scoring when they faced ranked opponents. Let's take a look.

- Tufts vs unranked opponents: 24.5 GPG (49 goals in 2 games vs. Colby/Springfield)
- Tufts vs. ranked opponents: 25.5 GPG (51 goals in 2 games vs. Amherst, Ithaca)

Whoops. Guess not.

Let's keep going with this. Maybe Salisbury just has been the only team to figure out some of the country's best defenses! Maybe 13.66 GPG against their slate is actually super impressive!

- Lynchburg has played three other ranked teams this year. Both F&M (19) and Cabrini (17) scored more against the Hornets than Salisbury (16) did.
- Stevens has played one other team that was ranked (at the time) - Dickinson. Dickinson scored 13 on Stevens; Salisbury scored 14.
- Gettysburg has faced three other ranked teams this year. W&L scored the same amount as Salisbury did (11). Stevenson (5) and York (6) both scored less.

Hmm. So Salisbury's offense truly doesn't stand out when compared to other ranked teams.

Yet again, let's try to play both sides here. Maybe Tufts wasn't doing anything special. Maybe they were just beating up on bad defenses who had been lit up by other teams too!

Colby goals allowed: 3, 19, 24 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 11.00 gaa
Springfield goals allowed: 14, 14, 16, 25 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 14.66 gaa
Amherst goals allowed: 8, 8, 9, 25 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 8.33 gaa
Ithaca goals allowed: 5, 9, 12, 18, 26 (Tufts). Non-Tufts avg.: 11.00 gaa

Ah. Nope. Not even close.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look. Salisbury is obviously a great team and a great program. I do the weekly FanLax forum poll, and I had the Gulls ranked #1...until this week, when Tufts showed that they are capable of blowing top five title contenders off the field like a midseason tuneup. No one else in the country has shown anything close to that ability. I don't have any doubts that Salisbury is/was (we'll see what happens with the season) the second-best team in the country this year, but the gap between Tufts and everyone else - even given the small sample size - looked significant.
Hope you didn’t take too much time away from your job/ family to research & compose your magnum opus. But the time spent is telling - sorry about getting you so upset. 😉

I clearly must not have done a good job with my initial post because you also seem to have completely missed the point I was trying to make.

I was not arguing that Tufts may not be the best team in the country; I was also not arguing that Salisbury was ... Quite the contrary, my whole point was that it was far, far too early in the season (the virus not withstanding) to crown anybody as the best in the country after 1/4 of the season is played. Not Tufts, not Salisbury, not RIT, Amherst or any one else. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Finally, I am not a Salisbury fan. Indeed, having lived my entire 62+ years in eastern Pennsylvania, I am a huge fan of the Centennial Conference. Nothing would please me more than to see Gettysburg or F&M take down all of the above mentioned teams. I do however note, with some amusement, your apparent need to weave the snarky comments about Salisbury and their fans Into your argument. That does seem to suggest an insecurity lurking real close to the surface ...

Some might also say it’s a sign of ignorance, or perhaps arrogance, to presume to know what is in the mind of someone you’ve never met, or who they root for - and then to feel compelled to attempt to belittle them for it.
Dr P., you made disparaging remarks about the Tufts coach's "insecurities" and "lack of class," yet the stats you referred to were actually wrong. AH23 did a great job refuting your premise. At least he looked at the box scores to compose a reasoned argument; whereas, you just appear to have made some claims that the actual facts did not support.
Dave

Post by Dave »

What happened with AC players?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Never mind...looked it up. I would expect significant discipline.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Does anyone with half a ball mind saying what happened in general with Amherst? Just in general...We have no season so it's
pretty much a big story. Thank you
Jaycolb_ashton

Post by Jaycolb_ashton »

LibertyL wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 pm Does anyone with half a ball mind saying what happened in general with Amherst? Just in general...We have no season so it's
pretty much a big story. Thank you
Liberty League needs the NESCAC guys to operate the internet?
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

i-mMrCvhG-XL.jpg
i-mMrCvhG-XL.jpg (218.89 KiB) Viewed 4923 times
TRINITY Class of 2020, Thank you boys
remote

Post by remote »

This is terrible! So sad!!
It is an article so I figured it is ok to post. If not I am sure the forum admin will remove.

https://amherststudent.com/article/mens ... t-incident
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm
Sorry my man, what is telling is that you think taking the time to be accurate is something worth mocking instead of the bare minimum for being taken seriously.

FWIW...I don't know why you're surprised that someone bothered to check if what you wrote had any merit. You made obviously ridiculous claims about both teams, misrepresenting stats to make one team look better than they were while insinuating that the other had "insecurities" and a "lack of class" and potentially was overrated.

If your point was just "pump the brakes everyone, it's too early to tell. They're both really good", I wouldn't have responded. But that's not what you wrote.
HelpD

Post by HelpD »

Nothing But Net wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:33 pm i-mMrCvhG-XL.jpg TRINITY Class of 2020, Thank you boys
If I have to look at pictures of every NESCAC senior class because of this I'm going to report you.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Wow on the Amherst story. I think this combined with the incident mentioned last year would have put their season in serious jeopardy if Covid had not ended it.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

They are suppressing the story and student site and scrubbing google. Bad bad bad Amherst. Now I really like Williams
xyzzy1

Post by xyzzy1 »

LibertyL wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 am They are suppressing the story and student site and scrubbing google. Bad bad bad Amherst. Now I really like Williams
Here is a tiny URL link to the Google cache of the page in question.
https://tinyurl.com/qudawd2
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Thanks for keeping the 1st Amendment alive 8-) on here.
laxrex

Post by laxrex »

Does Amherst have a coach? Was he there last year? Was he there this year? Good luck finding your new job. Do they have an AD or an administration with any backbone? Shame on you Lord Jeffs.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Why does it seem like any mention of Amherst automatically brings out multiple “coach is an embarrassment, fire him, what a joke” etc. comments? This happens every year on the NESCAC board (or at least it feels that way) but I don’t really understand why.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”