School Closings

General Chatter
ICGrad

Re: School Closings

Post by ICGrad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm I am really amazed they are cancelling, and not suspending until further notice. Colleges must have figured out a way to profit off this.
With all of the uncertainty right now, comments like this are beyond the pale...not to mention uninformed, myopic, and uncalled for.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm I am really amazed they are cancelling, and not suspending until further notice. Colleges must have figured out a way to profit off this.

I think you hit the nail on the head although I think the sport in total is a expense to the schools so it is a way to cut costs v. profit.
Really.... NBA, NHL suspend play too. Look at what’s going on in Italy, that’s what is trying to be prevented.
skipjacks3

Post by skipjacks3 »

fatherof2 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm
skipjacks3 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 pm
CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:54 pm
HooDat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 amOnline learning works just fine, for those who are self motivated.
So does learning from books. But we don't just hand kids a bunch of books and tell them to go learn. There is a reason for that.
Handed a lot of loan debt and tell them to go work it off though.
Nobody is handed loan debt. loan debt has to be applied for. ;)
Try defaulting on that student loan debt. Must be why it's so hard to get denied.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedIvy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head although I think the sport in total is a expense to the schools so it is a way to cut costs v. profit.
Really.... NBA, NHL suspend play too. Look at what’s going on in Italy, that’s what is trying to be prevented.
Why would they precisely choose "CANCEL", instead of "SUSPEND"? Those words have two very different meanings.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

Is there any country allowing live sports to have spectators in stands ? Has the whole Sports world cancelled or been suspended in all countries at this time ?
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Why would they precisely choose "CANCEL", instead of "SUSPEND"? Those words have two very different meanings.
As another poster tried to explain the semester is only two months longer and to shut down and start up is challenging with no know resolution time, this will likely go on for a few months.

I realize your frustrated as others are but don’t blame and disrespect people who have to make these tough no win decisions.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Chuckman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:25 pm Is there any country allowing live sports to have spectators in stands ? Has the whole Sports world cancelled or been suspended in all countries at this time ?

I prefer watching college and pro sports on television.

The producers should CGI fans in the stands to simulate real life; in the case of lacrosse, if you CGI fans in the stands, it actually might make for a more enjoyable television viewing experience (rather than always seeing empty stands). It'd sorta be fake, but the action on the field would remain real.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedIvy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm

As another poster tried to explain the semester is only two months longer and to shut down and start up is challenging with no know resolution time, this will likely go on for a few months.

I realize your frustrated as others are but don’t blame and disrespect people who have to make these tough no win decisions.
Disrespect? Where did that come from? The decision was never in question, it was simply why cancel, instead of suspend, just as they did with the academic side. Which has a plan b and c. Certainly, academics on campus, was not articulated as "canceled" but was "suspended" until further notice. Why the difference?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Broadway just closed down as well a few minutes ago effective tomorrow. It is not just the sports world. And nobody is profiting from this. This is a health crisis that will fuel an economic crisis as well.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Disrespect? Where did that come from? The decision was never in question, it was simply why cancel, instead of suspend, just as they did with the academic side. Which has a plan b and c. Certainly, academics on campus, was not articulated as "canceled" but was "suspended" until further notice. Why the difference?
You said the universities figured out a way to PROFIT from cancelling athletics for the Spring semester, which is absurd...unless you are privy to information we aren't. How exactly will they PROFIT from cancelling as opposed to suspending?

Bottom line is, many Spring sports extend into the early summer, some even longer. Suspending the season for 2-3 weeks leaves very little time for students to return to and get re-acclimated on campus, and my guess is that almost everyone is going to have more pressing things on their agendas - should it come to that - than track or baseball.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

deleted
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:55 pm

They are making the decision to close the campus for the remainder of the semester therefore “cancel” all campus activity. Unfortunately college sports can not be conducted on-line. Considering the issues, to suggest there was other motives IMO seems disrespectful to those having to make these difficult decisions.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

ACC has suspended all sports activities.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Told that the Big Ten is heading in this direction also. <a href="https://t.co/2FGKwYnLgm">https://t.co/2 ... </p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status ... tfw">March 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

youthathletics wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 pm
RedIvy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:24 pm
RedIvy wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:15 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:44 pm
I am really amazed they are cancelling, and not suspending until further notice. Colleges must have figured out a way to profit off this.

You said the universities figured out a way to PROFIT from cancelling athletics for the Spring semester, which is absurd...unless you are privy to information we aren't. How exactly will they PROFIT from cancelling as opposed to suspending?

Bottom line is, many Spring sports extend into the early summer, some even longer. Suspending the season for 2-3 weeks leaves very little time for students to return to and get re-acclimated on campus, and my guess is that almost everyone is going to have more pressing things on their agendas - should it come to that - than track or baseball.
So for most colleges there about 6 weeks of school left. China and other countries have been tying to deal with virus for 2 -3 months with some pretty drastic measures. Look up Italy's lock down right now. I'd say" paused or suspended" is just a easy way to letting people down. Spring sports are going to be one of many innocent side victims this spring. This is one of those times we need to look at the big picture, not just our favorite sport.
a fan

Post by a fan »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:30 pm This is one of those times we need to look at the big picture, not just our favorite sport.
I don't think people fully understand what's happening.

These closures won't last weeks. They're going to last months. Watch any of a number of immunologists on media, and they're all saying the same thing. It takes time to get these things under control. 4 weeks won't do that.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes to that palaxoff. The seasons aren't just being "suspended" or cancelled" (hint, they are all going to be cancelled), the students are all cleaning out their dorms and going home. There is no way that they try to have everyone move back in some time in April when graduation is only a few weeks later, even less chance they would try to have only the athletes do this. I am as heart broken by this as anyone but there are a lot of, likely well intentioned, heads in the sand around here about which teams might keep playing or if they will be able to start it back up. Once you send the student body home in mid-March they are not coming back that year. All college lax (and likely all spring college sports) will be cancelled within days.
socalref

Post by socalref »

Hard to sit back and wait for news from my son all the way on the East Coast while he waits for the update from his coach. I know the season is over, we just need to figure out what we need to do with him when they kick him and the other athletes out of the dorms.

Locally, my high school games are being cancelled left and right. Typically, I'll officiate 5 nights a week plus the odd weekend doing HS and get between 55 and 60 games a season. I'm getting the feeling last night was my last game for this spring. Tonight and tomorrow have been cancelled. I'm sure my Saturday games and next week will drop off by the end of the day.

Frustrating for everyone involved.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 pm
palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:30 pm This is one of those times we need to look at the big picture, not just our favorite sport.
I don't think people fully understand what's happening.

These closures won't last weeks. They're going to last months. Watch any of a number of immunologists on media, and they're all saying the same thing. It takes time to get these things under control. 4 weeks won't do that.
The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic went on for over a year, and then... just stopped. Not from a vaccine or cure. Just stopped.

Scary. What if this affects the food supply?

Anyway, the 1918 Spanish Flu killed 20 to 50 million people, whereas WW1 combat and civilian deaths “only” amounted to 18 million people over 4+ years.

Yep, this isn’t looking like one month and done. Maybe more like one year and hopefully done.

Here’s praying modern medicine can solve this one quickly.
hbglaxman

Post by hbglaxman »

At the rate this is going Utah, Cleveland State and Hampton will have a 3 team tournament on Memorial Day weekend to determine the D1 champion!!!

LOL

These schools are doing the right thing and Lacrosse, and sports in general, need to take a back seat to the realities this virus presents.

High School sports will be next on chopping block for 2020.

Stay safe everyone.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

NCAA announced cancellation of both winter and spring championships

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”