All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

The 1%ers in DC are going to get it, too. So for once, they'll have to deal with the same problems the 99% does. And no----I''d prefer that no one get it at all if I had a choice.

As I pointed out earlier....what happens when Congress and the Exec Branch gets it? Buncha old white men.

Still no economic stimulus. These people are idiots.
Bart

Post by Bart »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.
:lol: :lol: You believe tests prevent COVID19. :lol: :lol:
Come on, youth, you're usually smarter than this.

Yes, tests enable identification and containment, thus reduced spread, thus fewer deaths.
The HUGE challenge we face is the prospect of an overwhelmed health system in which health workers are sick and quarantined, there aren't beds for strokes, cancer, etc.
All was true when 60 million americans caught H1 N1 and 12,000 people died in 2009. NO media noise. No noise from you.

Obama received purely positive press through it all.
Why keep bringing up the H1 N1 now? Its a complete strawman regarding what is happening right now. Was Obama treated differently than Trump? I don't know and I really don't care. I am not going to put the blame on anyone/person for where we are right now, it is not constructive and does no good But your H1 N1 comparison makes little sense from a non political point. Look at your numbers.

N1 H1 has a mortality rate close to 0.02%(using your numbers). Normal flu 0.1 percent.......COVID19 at best case is 0.5%. The devil is what is the denominator and to get an idea of what that could be lets look at the R0 number. For H1 N1 best I could find was 1.3. Currently the COVID19 is between 2 and 3 so this virus is both more communicable and deadly.

Politicize it all you want, that is your prerogative but this is not the flu. What is it? We do not know yet, and that is the biggest issue. In my opinion, and this is not directed to you per se, the biggest mistake is to continue to compare this thing to something it is not.

You can now flame away....................
Last edited by Bart on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.

Yes, tests enable identification and containment, thus reduced spread, thus fewer deaths.
The HUGE challenge we face is the prospect of an overwhelmed health system in which health workers are sick and quarantined, there aren't beds for strokes, cancer, etc.
All was true when 60 million americans caught H1 N1 and 12,000 people died in 2009. NO media noise. No noise from you.

Maybe you have me confused with someone else. I wasn't an Obama supporter, voted for the other guy each time.

But I also don't think he was incompetent or hired incompetent people nor that he didn't respect science and scientists.
There was quite a lot of attention to that bug in the media and in the populace. But the facts were different and the people handling the crisis were observably competent, not sugar coating what they knew and didn't know.

But as to H1N1, the mortality rate was 0.3% not over 1% (or 3.4% by WHO estimates).

It was a very, very nasty bug for which younger people didn't have immunities, but because older folks had contracted a cousin earlier in their lives, they did better. Earlier flu pandemics had been worse.

And the spread was actually less than is predicted for this bug, given that no one has immunities and there's this up to two week period of viral pre symptoms.

So, unless this bug evolves to be less lethal, that 12 million # could be dwarfed...and that's not counting all the deaths that will occur if the health system is overwhelmed, which it most certainly will be if we don't successfully flatten the curve of spread.

Re H1N1:https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html

The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: A New Flu Virus Emerges
The (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from H1N1 viruses that were circulating at the time of the pandemic. Few young people had any existing immunity (as detected by antibody response) to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus, but nearly one-third of people over 60 years old had antibodies against this virus, likely from exposure to an older H1N1 virus earlier in their lives. Since the (H1N1)pdm09 virus was very different from circulating H1N1 viruses, vaccination with seasonal flu vaccines offered little cross-protection against (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection. While a monovalent (H1N1)pdm09 vaccine was produced, it was not available in large quantities until late November—after the peak of illness during the second wave had come and gone in the United States. From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Disease Burden of the H1N1pdm09 Flu Virus, 2009-2018
Since the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, the (H1N1)pdm09 flu virus has circulated seasonally in the U.S. causing significant illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths.
More
Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated.** Globally, 80 percent of (H1N1)pdm09 virus-related deaths were estimated to have occurred in people younger than 65 years of age. This differs greatly from typical seasonal influenza epidemics, during which about 70 percent to 90 percent of deaths are estimated to occur in people 65 years and older.

Though the 2009 flu pandemic primarily affected children and young and middle-aged adults, the impact of the (H1N1)pdm09 virus on the global population during the first year was less severe than that of previous pandemics. Estimates of pandemic influenza mortality ranged from 0.03 percent of the world’s population during the 1968 H3N2 pandemic to 1 percent to 3 percent of the world’s population during the 1918 H1N1 pandemic. It is estimated that 0.001 percent to 0.007 percent of the world’s population died of respiratory complications associated with (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first 12 months the virus circulated.

The United States mounted a complex, multi-faceted and long-term response to the pandemic, summarized in The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: Summary Highlights, April 2009-April 2010. On August 10, 2010, WHO declared an end to the global 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. However, (H1N1)pdm09 virus continues to circulate as a seasonal flu virus, and cause illness, hospitalization, and deaths worldwide every year.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm The 1%ers in DC are going to get it, too. So for once, they'll have to deal with the same problems the 99% does. And no----I''d prefer that no one get it at all if I had a choice.

As I pointed out earlier....what happens when Congress and the Exec Branch gets it? Buncha old white men.

When Trump and republicans push economic stimulus you and the media will accuse them of not caring about people just Trumps reelection.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

:roll:
I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:
The politics and mass panic is coming from YOU and those like you.

Trump closed the borders to China in January. Thank goodness or things would be worse.He was labeled a xenophobe.

The borders you insist should be open.
I never once said banning Chinese travel was a bad idea. NOT ONCE. I have in fact on a number of occasions said the action helped. I also said it did not help as much as the Chinese self imposed travel ban, worldwide.

Pay attention.

PS - there is now evidence that the virus was already hear, undetected at the time, prior to Trump's border closing.
So you are saying Trump should have been testing for it before we new it was out there? Kinda like voting for Obamacare? :lol:
This didn't just spring up on us in February. The experts were advising him in December!!! We have known the outlines of what might be coming since the first case discovered in China in December. Not blaming Trump for not doing serious testing in December. He is responsible for every bit of the delay since January! His administration did not take the experts seriously, early enough. He has fiddled while Rome burned.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Bart wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Why keep bringing up the H1 N1 now? Its a complete strawman regarding what is happening right now. Was Obama treated differently than Trump? I don't know and I really don't care. I am not going to put the blame on anyone/person for where we are right now, it is not constructive and does no good But your H1 N1 comparison makes little sense from a non political point. Look at your numbers.

N1 H1 has a mortality rate close to 0.02%. Normal flu 0.1 percent.......COVID19 at best case is 0.5%. The devil is what is the denominator and to get an idea of what that could be lets look at the R0 number. For H1 N1 best I could find was 1.3. Currently the COVID19 is between 2 and 3 so this virus is both more communicable and deadly.

Politicize it all you want, that is your prerogative but this is not the flu. What is it? We do not know yet, and that is the biggest issue. In my opinion, and this is not directed to you per se, the biggest mistake is to continue to compare this thing to something it is not.

Why are you folks so obtuse.

In 2009 H1 N1 was a health problem here.

The point I'm making is It was NEVER hyped like this.

It was more fatal than the flu where 30k people died annually without media noise. It was the most infectious new disease.

NO colleges closed. No sports STOPPED. The world went on
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:54 pm

N1 H1 has a mortality rate close to 0.02%. Normal flu 0.1 percent.......COVID19 at best case is 0.5%. The devil is what is the denominator and to get an idea of what that could be lets look at the R0 number. For H1 N1 best I could find was 1.3. Currently the COVID19 is between 2 and 3 so this virus is both more communicable and deadly.

It was more fatal than the flu where 30k people died annually without media noise. It was the most infectious new disease.

Tell the Italians that life as usual should go on...... They need to stop with the liberal BS
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Why are you so obtuse? Multiple people have explained it to you, that N1H1 did not present the risk that COVID-19 does. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:51 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm The 1%ers in DC are going to get it, too. So for once, they'll have to deal with the same problems the 99% does. And no----I''d prefer that no one get it at all if I had a choice.

When Trump and republicans push economic stimulus you and the media will accuse them of not caring about people just Trumps reelection.
I'll go ahead and take issue with a fan as to "stimulus" though if what he means is targeted support (which does have a stimulative effect) we'd agree.

It should be targeted.
And now, not later.
And I won't critique Trump if that's what's done.

It's possible that broader measures are needed but not a tax cut.

But, yeah, we're not going to believe that Trump actually cares about anyone other than himself.
Maybe Ivanka. Maybe not.

But regardless of whether he does it for the right reasons, it should get done.
Ridiculous that the Senate is headed on vacation and won't take up the House bill.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 pm

Why are you so obtuse? Multiple people have explained it to you, that N1H1 did not present the risk that COVID-19 does. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Nobody knew that at this point in 2009.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Tell the Italians that life as usual should go on...... They need to stop with the liberal BS
Keep throwing that up. Its all part of the same hype. See my previous posts about the Italian population.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

That depends on the economic stimulus they propose. Actually I don't think there is going to be mush of a fight over the economic stimulus plan. Trump will go with Pelosi proposal, or something very close to it. It is in his best interest.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:00 pm

That depends on the economic stimulus they propose. Actually I don't think there is going to be mush of a fight over the economic stimulus plan. Trump will go with Pelosi proposal, or something very close to it. It is in his best interest.
By the way. Moscow Mitch is not going to jump to. He said he will not consider the package until after the recess.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Do you understand that we’re dealing with the possibility of over HALF A MILLION DEATHS with novel coronavirus?

Do you think China isolated entire regions and Italy shut down the entire country (for the first time in that nation’s 3,000 year history) for the fun of it?

This ain’t the flu. It ain’t H1N1. It is much, much, MUCH WORSE.

Seriously, what is the matter with you?

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Bart

Post by Bart »

Not obtuse at all. The R0 number suggests, again it is an average and a moving number, this will spread more quickly and widely than H1 N1.(I certainly hope not) This, is what can lead to great cost of life if the medical facilities get overwhelmed.

You may be right. I honestly hope you are. I will gladly eat crow if that is the case.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Wrong, at the same point in the inflection curve, the scientists knew, roughly, the mortality rate and who was affected, just as they do now. They knew it was nasty bug related to, but different enough from, earlier flu and that some people had immunities, some didn't. They had, like now, a decent sense of the spread rate, which was lower than this bug. They also had vaccines that could be used in the next cycle, given that the bug was similar/related to earlier flu. For this one, we know we won't have a vaccine in time for the next cycle (assuming seasonality).

We need to recognize that pandemics kill a lot of people, big #'s.

Based on what we know about this bug, this could be much worse than H1N1.
And that's not including spillover deaths if the health system is overwhelmed.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Not true. There was no indication at that time of any of the characteristics that make COVID-19 so scary. Scientists don't raise huge concerns without evidence.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Do you understand that we’re dealing with the possibility of over HALF A MILLION DEATHS with novel coronavirus?

Do you think China isolated entire regions and Italy shut down the entire country (for the first time in that nation’s 3,000 year history) for the fun of it?

This ain’t the flu. It ain’t H1N1. It is much, much, MUCH WORSE.

Seriously, what is the matter with you?

DocBarrister :roll:
A month ago the claimm was the virus was 20 times more lethal.

Look all Im advocating is less hyperbolic panic. Just like 2009
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Keep throwing that up. Its all part of the same hype. See my previous posts about the Italian population.
Keep throwing up it that it’s the liberal media and I will.

🤡
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

What China Teaches Us

Post by DocBarrister »

Look, if anyone doubts the seriousness of the novel coronavirus, then consider the actions of the nation most familiar with it: China.

China is an oligargichal dictatorship run by strongman Xi Jinping. If there is anything that is a priority for that dictatorship, it is avoiding embarrassment and disgrace. That was reflected in China’s early reaction to the epidemic, when authorities basically tried to cover it up and downplay it.

At some point, someone must have whispered to Xi Jinping that the virus could infect 100 million Chinese people or more and that 1 million or more could die. After that, China essentially set aside any hangups and began isolating entire cities and regions, shutting down much of their economy at the cost of trillions of dollars.

Someone needs to convince Trump and his moronic cultists of the same truth ... that a lot of people could die if drastic measures aren’t taken. We’re talking about hundreds of thousands of American deaths if we can’t get this managed like China, South Korea, and Italy have. Their reactions were all flawed, but they seemingly avoided the worst case scenario. Not sure the United States is there yet.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”