COVID19 season cancellations

D3 Mens Lacrosse
fitzlax

Re: COVID19 season cancellations

Post by fitzlax »

ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Gettysburg joins the ranks of suspended... curious to see how many other Centennial schools follow;

https://gettysburgsports.com/news/2020/ ... pdate.aspx
formerD3coach

Post by formerD3coach »

I just got done speaking to a long time friend of mine who has a Doctorate in Infectious Diseases and works in a lab in NYC. He is telling me that if we can successfully "quarantine" everyone for 2-3 weeks AND test everyone in the meantime, then we should be able to continue to business as usually after that 2-3 week period. I think that would be best case scenario for everyone at this point as that would put us into early/mid April and a condensed season would still be feasible. That would require everyone getting on the same page immediately and my buddy stressed that the key factor right now is the testing. There currently are not enough test kits in circulation to meet demand. However, he says a big part of the problem is that the cdc was refusing to use any kits that are not their own. Hopefully that changes soon, so we can get this thing rolling!
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Colby announces that all on-campus classes end Friday, along with the rest of the NESCAC they had already suspended the season. All students are to vacate campus if at all possible by Sunday PM. They is a team working to support International students, significant emergency funds to cover their expenses as needed, and they are going to make sure the every student, regardless of means, is equipped for remote learning wherever they are for the rest of the semester. Also going to announce a plan to refund room and board expenses next week. They are hopeful that the college will be able to host commencement for the seniors in late May. Sounds like this is pretty well thought out.

Significant in that Colby is in a small city in Central Maine, with a totally self contained 800+ acre campus on a hill. Very different than being "In" a college town, or city, let alone a metropolitan area. Chatter is that every NESCAC school will be doing the same. No students on campus, all remote/online classes.

Sounds like this was gut wrenching call by the college, BTW. Nobody wanted to see this. Maine just had their first confirmed case.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2020/03/12 ... ve-campus/
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Skidmore is done for the season
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

formerD3coach wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:57 pm I just got done speaking to a long time friend of mine who has a Doctorate in Infectious Diseases and works in a lab in NYC. He is telling me that if we can successfully "quarantine" everyone for 2-3 weeks AND test everyone in the meantime, then we should be able to continue to business as usually after that 2-3 week period. I think that would be best case scenario for everyone at this point as that would put us into early/mid April and a condensed season would still be feasible. That would require everyone getting on the same page immediately and my buddy stressed that the key factor right now is the testing. There currently are not enough test kits in circulation to meet demand. However, he says a big part of the problem is that the cdc was refusing to use any kits that are not their own. Hopefully that changes soon, so we can get this thing rolling!
I hate to be the bearer of gloom across the boards on this but there is almost certainly not going to be any more 2020 lacrosse season. A) We are not going to be able to "test everyone" for months with the test availability (even though the vast majority of testing now being done is in private labs, CDC being cut out of the loop) B) "Quarantine everyone" requires what Italy has done which is literally, on order of the government, closed ALL PLACES OF BUSINESS IN THE COUNTRY except grocery stores, pharmacies and a few other exception, not happening here unless the dead are stacked on the street like in the Black Death C) These colleges aren't just suspending sports, they are ordering all students off campus for online classes. That means packing up and cleaning out the dorms. There is no way they will have them all try to move back some time in April when classes end only a few weeks later and there is even less chance that they try to do that only for athletes D) The speculation about which school is going to go next is pointless. Enough have cancelled now that none will be able to swim against the tide. Honestly, once the NESCAC did it it was a done deal (as Amherst was first you can blame them for the cancellation of all college lacrosse in 2020). Sorely wish this was not true but lax is done for this spring. High schools likely to follow but they may hold out longer
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

NJlxrdad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm Skidmore is done for the season
Oberlin and DePauw just announced cancellation as well.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm Honestly, once the NESCAC did it it was a done deal (as Amherst was first you can blame them for the cancellation of all college lacrosse in 2020).
That's unfair. I dislike the NESCAC/Amherst as much as the next guy, but when professional leagues and Division 1 are cancelling games, there is no possible way Division 3 lacrosse was going to hold out. They were just a few days ahead of the inevitable curve.
viper

Post by viper »

From the Mac Freedom Conference:

"Thursday morning, the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) Presidents determined it is in the best interest of campus communities to suspend athletic competition over the next two weeks through Monday, March 30.

The MAC will be actively monitoring the situation and reassessing this action over the next two weeks to determine if further action is warranted.

MAC institutions will suspend conference and non-conference athletic contests, on or off campus, during those two weeks."
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Bottom line all of this has to do with liability. Coverage for all levels of sports, educational institutions, large events,
on and on all have operational risks and covered risks but not for Force Majeure

Us lax fans are going to have to wait for a while.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Lets face it. Lacrosse is done for 2020. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I think it will be a few month before we get back to normal.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Duke lead the way by getting out of March Madness
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

My heart goes out to all the seniors out there losing their last season as an athlete. As a recent grad, I felt the pain after a tough loss in the tournament, but I couldn’t imagine it going down this way.

Tough day for the entire lacrosse/sports community. I’ll be praying this pandemic can get better before it gets worse (even thought that’s unlikely). Hoping for some more lacrosse in 2020.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I saw this idea on twitter, and credit to all who have mentioned it on there; how about having 2020 D1 2 & 3 tournaments among the top 8-10 teams in each, during or around one of the top summer tournaments like Placid. (though understandably tough to pull off, and no substitute for the full squads at peak performance- better than nothing) Even include inter-division championship / play masters champ. Could provide for some unique possibilities/experiences, and perhaps a chance to make a positive for these young men to look back on moving forward.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

Novel idea, but most kids will be doing internships and many will start their new lives as full time tax payers. Or at least, we hope. After paying more than $80,000.00 a year for my kids colleges education , it’s time to think about joining the beer leagues and getting off the old man’s payroll
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Absolutely, but a week or two off from all of that real world stuff (typically called vacation) is more in line with reality than say, another year of school at a high price tag for the sole purpose of lacrosse, as some are suggesting.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
formerD3coach

Post by formerD3coach »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:25 pm

not happening here unless the dead are stacked on the street like in the Black Death
I beg to differ. If the NCAA powers to be are willing to call off their beloved March Madness money maker, there's strong evidence that businesses will be willing to shut down. If not, when public schools and daycares shut down, parents will be forced to stay home from work and that will force employers hand as well. Biggest issue right now is how long some will holdout before the inevitable. It is possible those hold-outs drag it out into the summer, but my best guess is what should be only 2-3 weeks ends up spanning 5-6 weeks because of holdouts...but I could also be underestimating American stubborness lol
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Businesses in Italy did not shut voluntarily but at government order. There is not going to be a government order in US ordering all places of business to close, many would refuse and you would be stuck with trying to enforce that militarily. We will see how widespread school closings get. Here in CT they are certainly spreading but stores are not closing.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

NY Public Schools will cancel today.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”