19 Ohio State (5 - 2)

20 Richmond (4 - 3)

Receiving Votes:
Hobart, Brown, Providence, UAlbany, Bucknell, UMBC, Saint Joseph's
youthathletics

Re: School Closings

Post by youthathletics »

HooDat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 am
nyclaxfan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 am One previous poster commented that online learning does not work.
Online learning works just fine, for those who are self motivated. For those who are not. 4 years of college is a very expensive party....

connections ... whatever. The diploma is a "signal" to the market that you were smart in high school. It gets you in a club. I loved my 4 years in college, but that is not the same as learning (I did a little bit of that too, but not too much ;).

On the school closings. It took me a while to understand what the schools are facing. 2,000 - 10,000 students living in tight quarter dorms and dining halls. If someone gets sick - how do you quarantine? How do you send the home? You can't
WebeX type systems are currently having a tough time.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

On the school closings. It took me a while to understand what the schools are facing. 2,000 - 10,000 students living in tight quarter dorms and dining halls. If someone gets sick - how do you quarantine? How do you send the home? You can't
I understand the logic behind your statement and I agree with the position that the school is in a no win situation here. However, I do think that the term "cancel" v "suspend" is premature. If the spread of this pandemic continues, we will all agree the correct decision was made. If there is a different situation in mid to late April, people will wonder why we are not returning to normalcy. A suspension of play provides the same level of caution as a cancellation from a quarantine standpoint. Although this will never be a normal lacrosse season, and the sport should not be the only consideration here, it may be a healthy option for student and student athletes to have sports sometime in late April or May. I understand logistics would be a challenge and schedules and rankings would completely change. However it is still too early to cancel IMHO.
calourie

Post by calourie »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:20 am
I understand the logic behind your statement and I agree with the position that the school is in a no win situation here. However, I do think that the term "cancel" v "suspend" is premature. If the spread of this pandemic continues, we will all agree the correct decision was made. If there is a different situation in mid to late April, people will wonder why we are not returning to normalcy. A suspension of play provides the same level of caution as a cancellation from a quarantine standpoint. Although this will never be a normal lacrosse season, and the sport should not be the only consideration here, it may be a healthy option for student and student athletes to have sports sometime in late April or May. I understand logistics would be a challenge and schedules and rankings would completely change. However it is still too early to cancel IMHO.
The logistics of the shutting down and then restarting of what it takes to run sports programs for hundreds of students once they have been ordered to leave campus isn't likely to be feasible in whatever will be left of the spring season even if the crisis suddenly looks less dire
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

CAA suspends but not cancels spring sports

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 88/photo/1
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Major college conferences just cancelled their basketball conferences (the Big East, surprisingly, is playing now). It's just a matter of time before the entire lax season is suspended or cancelled, in my opinion.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Hearing that the ACC is about to cancel.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

HooDat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 amOnline learning works just fine, for those who are self motivated.
So does learning from books. But we don't just hand kids a bunch of books and tell them to go learn. There is a reason for that.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... aments.php

Breaking: Conference Tournaments Canceled; College Hockey Season All But Over

CHN Staff Report

Four of the six conferences have officially canceled their tournaments today amid the growing worldwide coronavirus crisis. The other two are expected to follow suit shortly.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
skipjacks3

Post by skipjacks3 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:54 pm
HooDat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 amOnline learning works just fine, for those who are self motivated.
So does learning from books. But we don't just hand kids a bunch of books and tell them to go learn. There is a reason for that.
Handed a lot of loan debt and tell them to go work it off though.
fatherof2

Post by fatherof2 »

skipjacks3 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Nobody is handed loan debt. loan debt has to be applied for. ;)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Baltimore County Rec Sports have cancelled the spring rec sports season according to a press conference on WBAL
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

-
"The Big East Conference, following the wave of leagues canceling basketball tournaments across the country, announced Thursday that its tournament also is canceled.

The news came minutes after the first half of the quarterfinal game between top-seeded Creighton and No. 9 seed St. John’s ended at Madison Square Garden. The Red Storm held a 38-35 lead."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 032819002/

Cancelling in the middle of the game does not speak well of the BE administrative decision making skills. Regardless, just a horrible situation all the way around. I feel for the players.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

fatherof2 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm
skipjacks3 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Nobody is handed loan debt. loan debt has to be applied for. ;)
My applied for and accepted student loan debt was well worth it even at the very affordable rates of 7.5-9% during hyper inflation days.... Although I do admit that the debt relative to the degree value, not necessarily the total dollar amount is often not considered by the learning institution, the borrower or the lender (note I didn’t mention the tax payer). Imagine if that’s how we lent money for cars and houses.....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am really amazed they are cancelling, and not suspending until further notice. Colleges must have figured out a way to profit off this.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Duke sports suspended

Hearing the entire ACC will soon follow
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:44 pm I am really amazed they are cancelling, and not suspending until further notice. Colleges must have figured out a way to profit off this.

I think you hit the nail on the head although I think the sport in total is a expense to the schools so it is a way to cut costs v. profit.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

Time to post the 2021 season information. What a shame for all. Now all we can hope is that all these steps help contain this so the hospitals have a fighting chance and civil order also stays sufficiently intact that we can come out the other side with the fewest casualties.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Duke, NEC, Air Force, CAA suspend until further notice.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”