All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Attention All Trump Cultists

Post by DocBarrister »

Look, I know most of you Trump cultists are a bunch of dinosaurs from the Jurassic era, but can you please stop with the nonsensical noise while the rest of us work to prevent a mass extinction? Thank you.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.
:lol: :lol: You believe tests prevent COVID19. :lol: :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 am So, here's the thing: a large % of Americans, specifically those who watch Fox, follow Trump's Twitter feed, etc actually still believe that the virus does not actually exist.

Still.

Others think that the virus exists but is less of an issue than the common flu...can't do the math, don't believe Fauci that the virus is 10X (or more) more lethal than the flu.

And both those groups truly believe that this is about 'taking down the President'.

Some even believe this is a Chinese "foreign" bioengineered weapon...

Did the President persuade them otherwise last night?
You, sir, are in too deep. Even the posts from many, that you are in favor of on this forum, has you buried in like an Alabama tick. Your high and mighty observance, clearly shows how stuffy you are and correct you must be, in order to keep your ego fed.

You disavow darned near everyone's opinion, observations, even potential or possible outcomes and put them in 1 of 2 boxes....MD's belief system or they must otherwise be a Fox/Trump follower....GMAFB.

You remind me of the coach/teacher that said no question is a bad on, then when the student ask one....you call them an idiot.
Did I offend you personally youth?

Are you saying you're in one of those groups I described?

Just to be clear if I wasn't before, not all Fox viewers are in one of those camps, nor are they all "idiots".
Some are beginning to recognize this is real and serious.
Not offend me at all md, but your myopic is way off target.
Which aspect?
Please be specific as to what I wrote that you think is "myopic".

My point is that there are large #'s of folks who don't think this is serious.
Why?
IMO, because they've been getting told that it isn't serious.
Over and over again in their closed loop media feeds.

And why does that matter?
Because if we don't get everyone's cooperation in social distancing we won't flatten the curve enough to avoid overwhelming our health system.

Am I being "myopic"?
you say the above in red and blue with certainty...putting all those people in a box.

Myopic - lacking intellectual insight.
"with certainty"? what aspect are you questioning?

That a large % of Americans believe one or more of those things? You disagree?
Or that they watch Fox, follow Trump's Twitter, etc?

Are you saying perhaps that a large % of Americans believe these things... but don't watch Fox or follow Trump's Twitter feed?

You did see my clarification highlighted?
Not everyone who watches Fox actually believes the crappola many of their most prominent talking heads have been spewing, and, heck, not all Trump Twitter followers believe his crappola. They're not all "idiots" (BTW, not the word I ever used to describe Fox viewers)

But is there not an overlap with these beliefs and where they get their news??
Seems to me that there's a tight correlation.

Let me just say that the people I personally know who are in one or more of the camps are also Fox watchers...
6ftstick

Re: Attention All Trump Cultists

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm Look, I know most of you Trump cultists are a bunch of dinosaurs from the Jurassic era, but can you please stop with the nonsensical noise while the rest of us work to prevent a mass extinction? Thank you.

DocBarrister ;)
As he strolls through used needles, human excrement in his typhus infested cities in California.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.
The test had a 30% false positive. What good was the data?
Not true of the WHO tests we were offered and everyone else used at scale, fast.
Instead, we had no tests and so couldn't screen folks at all.
Still don't have tests. Even now, except for the very worst cases. Maybe.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Just noticed that the new travel ban does not effect Russia. The one country that is so clearly under reporting the extent of the breakout in their country. :roll: 28 confirmed cases among a population 40% the size of the US. They reported 1st case on Feb 1. I guess they must be using CDC test kits, or waiting to get them. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Come on, youth, you're usually smarter than this.

Yes, tests enable identification and containment, thus reduced spread, thus fewer deaths.
The HUGE challenge we face is the prospect of an overwhelmed health system in which health workers are sick and quarantined, there aren't beds for strokes, cancer, etc.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Yes, tests enable identification and containment, thus reduced spread, thus fewer deaths.
The HUGE challenge we face is the prospect of an overwhelmed health system in which health workers are sick and quarantined, there aren't beds for strokes, cancer, etc.
:roll: GMAB.....dumb-dumbs that are sick are still going to work, just like the NBA player, just like the CPAC guy. Some people are carrying and have no clue.
And lets say you get tested today and contract it tomorrow....should we be testing every day for everyone.

Clearly you are smarter. The issue is that sick/symptomatic people are not staying home....period end. My wife is a teacher.....friggen kids are putting their hands in the butt and licking their fingers...then bring the crap home (literally) all the time.
Last edited by youthathletics on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

All was true when 60 million americans caught H1 N1 and 12,000 people died in 2009. NO media noise. No noise from you.

Obama received purely positive press through it all.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:07 pm
The test had a 30% false positive. What good was the data?
How about dem WHO tests?
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how much slower access to the JHU COVID-19 website is today as compared to any previous period of time. Maybe the US is waking up, or maybe it is just me.
Not just you. That crucial website is barely functioning.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

:roll:
I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:
The politics and mass panic is coming from YOU and those like you.

Trump closed the borders to China in January. Thank goodness or things would be worse.He was labeled a xenophobe.

The borders you insist should be open.
I never once said banning Chinese travel was a bad idea. NOT ONCE. I have in fact on a number of occasions said the action helped. I also said it did not help as much as the Chinese self imposed travel ban, worldwide.

Pay attention.

PS - there is now evidence that the virus was already in the US, undetected at the time, prior to Trump's border closing.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm

All was true when 60 million americans caught H1 N1 and 12,000 people died in 2009. NO media noise. No noise from you.

Yup. Tests kits are the new anecdote to idiocracy.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm

I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:

Trump closed the borders to China in January. Thank goodness or things would be worse.He was labeled a xenophobe.

I never once said banning Chinese travel was a bad idea. NOT ONCE. I have in fact on a number of occasions said the action helped. I also said it did not help as much as the Chinese self imposed travel ban, worldwide.

Pay attention.

PS - there is now evidence that the virus was already hear, undetected at the time, prior to Trump's border closing.
So you are saying Trump should have been testing for it before we new it was out there? Kinda like voting for Obamacare? :lol:
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:23 pm

:roll: GMAB.....dumb-dumbs that are sick are still going to work, just like the NBA player, just like the CPAC guy. Some people are carrying and have no clue.
And lets say you get tested today and contract it tomorrow....should we be testing every day for everyone.

Clearly you are smarter, and following the logic of what a test can and will not do.
Yup, it's dumb to go to work sick. Do they know they have this virus?
If so they're a lot worse than dumb.

But if you can't be tested, you don't know...and yes, if you've been exposed to someone who has been tested and confirmed, you may well not be aware that you, too, are carrying the virus. So, you get tested. If no virus, no quarantine. But if you do have it, quarantine and everyone who has been in close contact with you should be tested. And if they have it, go into quarantine.

But it all starts with identifying who has COVID-19 for which there are no immunities and no vaccine versus the regular flu.

Listen, this is what the scientists are saying.
I'm not claiming I'm an expert in infectious disease epidemiology, but I do know how to read science and respect science.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm

Pay attention.

PS - there is now evidence that the virus was already hear, undetected at the time, prior to Trump's border closing.
So you are saying Trump should have been testing for it before we new it was out there? Kinda like voting for Obamacare? :lol:
We knew of the problem in December. We knew it was spreading like wildfire in January. Community spread.
The experts were all saying that it was therefore already in the US.

When do you think we should have been testing people?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:23 pm

Clearly you are smarter, and following the logic of what a test can and will not do.
Yup, it's dumb to go to work sick. Do they know they have this virus?
If so they're a lot worse than dumb.

But if you can't be tested, you don't know...and yes, if you've been exposed to someone who has been tested and confirmed, you may well not be aware that you, too, are carrying the virus. So, you get tested. If no virus, no quarantine. But if you do have it, quarantine and everyone who has been in close contact with you should be tested. And if they have it, go into quarantine.

But it all starts with identifying who has COVID-19 for which there are no immunities and no vaccine versus the regular flu.

Listen, this is what the scientists are saying.
I'm not claiming I'm an expert in infectious disease epidemiology, but I do know how to read science and respect science.
So we agree....the issue is that people are going into public that are sick....we all have been guilty of it. And in order to get tested what do you have to do? As fatty would say....zactly!!! You have to go out into the public, and what does that do....infect others, zactly....touch the door to the building, puch the elevator button, door know to the dr's office, the pen you sign in with, the toiler you flush, etc.....you get the point. Common sense proves this.
~Livy

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Fabio Wajngarten, the press secretary for Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, has tested positive for coronavirus, two sources tell CNN. He was at dinner with Trump at Mar-a-Lago Saturday night, took a photo with him and later attended Kimberly Guilfoyle’s birthday party.

I gotta give the Trumps credit. They don’t think this is serious and they act that way. Finally some transparency.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm

The conservative mortality rate estimate for the novel coronavirus is currently about 1%.

So, if 60 million Americans are infected with the novel coronavirus, that could lead to 600,000 dead Americans, which is a lot more than 12,000. Indeed, that is more American deaths than in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War COMBINED.

So now do you understand why there is more “media noise” now than in 2009?

We’re trying to avoid the equivalent of the death of an entire large American city or an entire small state.

Is there something about that you don’t understand?

DocBarrister :roll:
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:35 pmSo we agree....the issue is that people are going into public that are sick....we all have been guilty of it. And in order to get tested what do you have to do? As fatty would say....zactly!!! You have to go out into the public, and what does that do....infect others, zactly....touch the door to the building, puch the elevator button, door know to the dr's office, the pen you sign in with, the toiler you flush, etc.....you get the point. Common sense proves this.
As far as testing, that doesn't have to be true - South Korea and other places have already implemented drive-thru testing. You're isolated in your car, touching no public communal surfaces, drive to a testing area, text them you're there, someone comes out in protective gear, gets a swab and you head home.

Return to “POLITICS”