All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am Where were all you black plague folks in 2009

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html

I can't remember any of this over the top media coverage, Universities closing, pro sports suspending play and high decibel complaining.

Oh that's right Obama was President. Wasn't he a democrat?
You do understand that based on current data, if 60 million people were infected with the novel coronavirus, that could lead up to hundreds of thousands, maybe even up to a million deaths?

Understand now why this isn’t like the flu or even H1N1?

There’s a rational reason why nations like China and Italy are imposing some of the most draconian measures in modern history to prevent further spreading of this disease ... self-preservation.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
CU88

Post by CU88 »

If the CDC is keeping track of this data, it should be released publicly.

But 7800 tests in the United States is a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE that is putting people's lives at risk.

South Korea, a much smaller country, has done 200K+ tests

Rep. Mark WALKER (R-N.C.) said the CDC told lawmakers it's tested about 3,800 people to date, and 7,800 have been tested overall when other labs are factored in.

Enough kits to test 800,000 more have been disseminated, he said, but questions remain about capacity to use them.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The GOP is currently rejecting measures to:
- make tests available to everyone — for free.
- guarantee paid sick leave
- provide lunches for children who can’t afford them if schools are closed
- help keep healthcare professionals safe

Because Trump wants things.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am The GOP is currently rejecting measures to:

It needs to be said again ... the greatest threat to our national security and future prosperity is the Republican Party and its supporters.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

São Paulo newspaper reports Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro is being monitored and tested for coronavirus. He just spent the weekend at Mara Plague-o with Trump, dancing with Melania, etc.
Attachments
81BD8890-041B-4C0D-A3A1-2F8297E1B09B.jpeg
81BD8890-041B-4C0D-A3A1-2F8297E1B09B.jpeg (48.64 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:34 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am Where were all you black plague folks in 2009

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html

I can't remember any of this over the top media coverage, Universities closing, pro sports suspending play and high decibel complaining.

Oh that's right Obama was President. Wasn't he a democrat?
You do understand that based on current data, if 60 million people were infected with the novel coronavirus, that could lead up to hundreds of thousands, maybe even up to a million deaths?

Understand now why this isn’t like the flu or even H1N1?

There’s a rational reason why nations like China and Italy are imposing some of the most draconian measures in modern history to prevent further spreading of this disease ... self-preservation.

DocBarrister :?
Right. This is exactly what is driving the concern. The notion that hospitals could be overrun completely with this disease, breaking those systems, so that they could not function for even diseases that we can treat / cure. At present their are 1 million (about) beds in US hospitals. A little over 800,000 of them are occupied with non-coronavirus cases - normally. We are fortunate that our occupancy rates are lower than many countries (Italy in the best of times is 90% occupied IIRC) China had to build special hospitals quickly because of the overrun. We don't want to get to the point where hospitals can not function. This is where the Italians are currently.

You don't have to worry about this with the annual flu. The disease is not so highly transmissible or deadly that you overrun your hospital capacity. THIS IS DIFFERENT! COVID-19 is different.

I don't buy the predictions of some that in two weeks we will reach this point. That is clear hyperbole. What is true is that it would not take many more weeks of unchecked infection growth before you would start to stress the hospitals and by that time you will have built up a backlog of early infections that when they bloom, it is too late, you have overrun your hospitals.

Act now to isolate, distance society, slow the infection growth curve down.

People coming from Europe is not what is growing the infection numbers. It doesn't hurt (the ban), but at this point it is not going to help. We have far more than enough virus on our shores already, that if you banned all international travel, it makes little difference.

So if we are successful in flattening the curve, we will not eradicate the disease. When we loosen up on the isolations, the disease will bounce back among those not previously infected. If reinfection is possible (the jury is still out on this - to the best of my knowledge) then those who have had the disease may get it again. You don't have a permanent solution until everyone has been infected and recovered, or a vaccine developed and administered. This is why experts are saying this is going to be with us for a year or more.

By isolating now we have the ability to increase hospital and treatment facility capacity so as to make it less likely as time goes on to break the system.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:07 am
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am The GOP is currently rejecting measures to:

It needs to be said again ... the greatest threat to our national security and future prosperity is the Republican Party and its supporters.

Oh please. Trump and republicans want people to die. Do you people read what you write.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 am After Trump’s speech, Dow futures dropped another 1,000 points. So, the market didn’t respond well to Trump’s idiotic plan to combat coronavirus.

https://apple.news/AMGOIbWCLRIS71mCGyzj-PQ

The stock market is in freefall.

DocBarrister :shock:
As I write this, Dow is down nearly 2,000 points. If you’re keeping track, we have lost just about all the gains since Trump went into office.

A recession this year is now a near-certainty.

@DocBarrister
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 am After Trump’s speech, Dow futures dropped another 1,000 points. So, the market didn’t respond well to Trump’s idiotic plan to combat coronavirus.

As I write this, Dow is down nearly 2,000 points. If you’re keeping track, we have lost just about all the gains since Trump went into office.

So keep bleating self-preservation and republicans want people to die. That'll help
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Watching Faux News. The usual suspects are now stepping up saying how serious this (COVID-19 Pandemic) is. It seems to have advanced from the its a democrat(ic) hoax. You have to wonder what the average Faux News zombie makes of this. Do they sense or understand the dissonance? Do they believe what is now being reported? Are they calling Faux News and complaining that Newt Gingerich (an example) should be banned from future appearances?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how much slower access to the JHU COVID-19 website is today as compared to any previous period of time. Maybe the US is waking up, or maybe it is just me.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

:roll:
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 am

Are you happy that Trump created a virus that turned into a pandemic....he is certainly a smart man. We shall call him Dr. Evil. :roll: :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am

I saw this live. What a joke. He calls for non-partisan cooperation, then tells us what great leadership OD displays. Just like 6ft. They call for this is serious and no time for politics - all the while injecting politics into the discussion. :roll:
Had to get in what Trump has done for the economy over the past three years...... We have been on an 11 year run...... you know what Trump did? 1) Fired the people that would have developed a comprehensive plan and a response to a pandemic and 2) Tuned down test kits from the WHO..... Those kits went to SK who has tested over 200k people and we just got over 7k. That is what Trump has done which is relevant to Covid-19.... My colleague's biggest complaint is that the media is being biased by calling it Covid-19 instead of the Chinese Virus. He may be 6ft.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

The Coronavirus According to Donald Trump
Trump Coronavirus Timeline

January 22:
Trump: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”

February 2:
Trump: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”

February 10:
Trump: “A lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat—as the heat comes in.”

White House acting budget director Mick Mulvaney: “Coronavirus is not something that is going to have ripple effects.”

February 24:
Trump: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. . . . Stock Market starting to look very good to me.”

Trump’s top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow: “You should seriously consider buying these [stock market] dips”

[Note: The Dow Jones ended February 24 at 27,960. It closed March 11 at 23,553.]

February 26:
Trump: “[The number of people infected is] going very substantially down, not up.” “The 15 [cases] within a couple of days, is going to be down to zero.” [Note: Two weeks later, as we compiled this list on March 11, there were over 1,000 confirmed cases in the United States.]

February 27:
Trump: “It’s going to disappear one day, it’s like a miracle.”

February 28:
Eric Trump: “In my opinion, it’s a great time to buy stocks or into your 401k. I would be all in . . . let’s see if I’m right.” [Note: The stock market closed at 25,409 on February 28. It closed at 23,553 on March 11.]

March 2:
Trump on a coronavirus vaccine: “I’ve heard very quick numbers, that of months.” [Note: Immunologist Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has repeatedly said that a vaccine will not be available for a year or year and a half.]

March 6:
Trump: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. . . . Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”

Trump: “I didn’t know people died from the flu.”

Trump on whether or not to bring coronavirus patients on a cruise ship to shore: “I like the numbers being where they are.”

Trump: “Anybody who wants a test gets a test.” [Note. This was a lie at the time and remains dangerously untrue today. The previous day, Vice President Mike Pence said, “We don’t have enough tests today to meet what we anticipate will be the demand going forward.”]

Larry Kudlow: “We stopped it, it was a very early shut down, I would still argue to you that this thing is contained.”

Larry Kudlow: “Investors should think about buying these dips.” [Note: The Dow Jones closed at 25,864 on March 6, over 2,300 points lower than the previous time Kudlow suggested investors “buy the dip.”]

March 9:
Trump: “Good for the consumer, gasoline prices coming down!”

Trump: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths.”

March 10:
Trump: “It will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

March 11:
Trump: “If we get rid of the coronavirus problem quickly, we won’t need [economic] stimulus.”

Trump [in response to a question from CNN’s Jim Acosta asking what he would “say to Americans who say you are not taking this seriously enough and that some of your statements don’t match what health experts are saying”]: “That’s CNN. Fake news.”

Over the past seven weeks, the president promised the country the virus would go away within a couple of days, then promised it would go away by April. He and his advisers repeatedly advised the public to buy stocks as the market plunged and stocks lost value.

These comments were not your usual Trumpian word salad. They were direct and declarative statements that happened amidst an ongoing outbreak—a national emergency and global pandemic—that required the U.S. government to be transparent, forthcoming, and responsive.

Finally, on Wednesday night he attempted a pivot to taking the growing threat seriously, mere hours after dismissing concerns as fake news.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Moscow Mitch McConnell ally says Senate won't take up House #coronavirus bill until after recess. “The Senate will act when we come back and we have a clearer idea of what extra steps we need to take,” Sen. Lamar Alexander told reporters.

It’s Spring Break, folks. The Senate cannot be bothered.
Last edited by Trinity on Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am

The politics and mass panic is coming from YOU and those like you.

Trump closed the borders to China in January. Thank goodness or things would be worse.He was labeled a xenophobe.

The borders you insist should be open.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.
The test had a 30% false positive. What good was the data?

Return to “POLITICS”