School Closings

General Chatter
faircornell

Re: School Closings

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 am
palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am Read an article this morning, swayed me to accept the season probably over. CoVid-19 virus is much more contagious virus then the common flu by a very high factor. Meaning many more people will get it, while for most of us it will not be that bad, the concern is the 20% that do have problems. They could overwhelm the healthcare system, as great as they tell us it is in the US,it is not prepared for the potential numbers it could see. The Government is trying to flatten the bell curve so there is not a large spike in a short time. So based on the things being suggested, wrapcheque suggestion of a virtual league might be our best option.
I read an article with the same numbers and conclusions. Small communities like Ithaca could not support such a level of illness.
AOD

Post by AOD »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 am VMI is closing barracks today at end of classes. Keydets are then on spring break. Lax team is spending night at hotel awaiting determination of tomorrow's game at High Point. Superintendent is sending out daily updates at 1600L each day.
Their next door neighbor in Lexington is holding strong. They've had their spring break and they're forging ahead.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Another factor. Many universities are also major medical centers and, I imagine, are considering resources and efforts that may be necessary toward a potentially substantial spike in patient care. Getting kids out of the area, decreasing large gatherings of people, and reducing / eliminating non-essential activities in order to shore-up for possible life-saving activities could be part of the bigger picture.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am
palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am Read an article this morning, swayed me to accept the season probably over. CoVid-19 virus is much more contagious virus then the common flu by a very high factor. Meaning many more people will get it, while for most of us it will not be that bad, the concern is the 20% that do have problems. They could overwhelm the healthcare system, as great as they tell us it is in the US,it is not prepared for the potential numbers it could see. The Government is trying to flatten the bell curve so there is not a large spike in a short time. So based on the things being suggested, wrapcheque suggestion of a virtual league might be our best option.
I read an article with the same numbers and conclusions. Small communities like Ithaca could not support such a level of illness.
Maybe this one?
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

One of the best layman-friendly arguments for over-reacting that I have read.
Last edited by 44WeWantMore on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

RedIvy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:01 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm
DU-fan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm The best approach would be for
  • Schools to go to online classes.
  • Keep the athletes on campus during Spring Break (which the teams already do) and have them participate online from school.
  • Limit the crowds which lacrosse already does well due to limited popularity. :lol:
The biggest risk is travel and for the older coaches.

It is shame that the NESCAC and Ivies do not support their athletes and sports programs enough.
I just don’t think you can do this. You can’t tell all of the students save the athletes that they have to go home but that the athletes get to stay on campus. You would get filleted for the optics on that.
I’m as disappointed as anyone on the cancelation of the Ivy lax season but to say they don’t support their athletes is a ridiculous statement. They are clearly looking at the bigger picture and understand the potential implication to the students, local community and the nations health care system. One only needs to look at Italy to understand what might happen if the right precautions are not made.
Absolutely. It was the responsible thing to do for global health.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

I suspect we are within a week of all NCAA spring seasons being cancelled.
March Madness and the Frozen Four may continue, but if so there will be no fans and possibly even reduced fields.
I'm hearing parents of spring sport athletes already talking to lawyers threatening lawsuits which is so sad to hear.
My heart breaks for everyone, but its time for people to accept the consequences and be team players.
The lacrosse community prides itself on its patriotism and focus on teamwork.
We need both of those qualities in spades right now because this is about doing whats right for the greater good of our society.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... f-covid-19

"But if the interventions could have been brought in a week earlier, 66% fewer people would have been infected, the analysis found. The same measures brought in three weeks earlier could have reduced cases by 95%."

I'm beginning to think that if the reaction seems like its an "overreaction" or too soon, that means they are doing it right.
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

I hate that "cancel" is the go-to. That seems like the easy way out for administrators, NCAA, etc. This is a once in a life time situation, so i think they should think outside the box. Postpone the season... resume at a later date once the spread of the virus has leveled off. Cancel non-conference games, condense the remaining conference schedule into 2-3 weeks. Eliminate conference tournaments and send the regular season champs (reduced field?) to the NCAA tournament that starts a few weeks or a month later.

Yes there are issues and costs associated with this, but again this is a once in a lifetime situation.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Patriot League done

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/12 ... 4035465216

More conferences will follow. Season is over.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

rolldodge wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:18 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... f-covid-19

"But if the interventions could have been brought in a week earlier, 66% fewer people would have been infected, the analysis found. The same measures brought in three weeks earlier could have reduced cases by 95%."

I'm beginning to think that if the reaction seems like its an "overreaction" or too soon, that means they are doing it right.
I totally agree.
If I'm being totally honest, any schools and leagues that aren't taking a proactive approach are either being stupid, selfish or both.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

thetruth wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 am
rolldodge wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:18 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... f-covid-19

I totally agree.
If I'm being totally honest, any schools and leagues that aren't taking a proactive approach are either being stupid, selfish or both.
Absolutely. It’s irresponsible not to take immediate action.
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

What a shitshow. One random thought/brainstorm is that universities are having/will have a major crisis from this (in addition to many other unforeseen impacts).

I do not have a kid in college, but if I did have a kid and was paying full price, I would want some money back. Colleges can say they have no reason to return money, but then they should get huge pressure to cut costs next year.

One previous poster commented that online learning does not work. I am not an education expert, so I will leave it to that person, but there are many professional accreditation tests that people study for outside of a classroom. Certainly many disciplines require in-person lab/supervised work, but most undergraduate degrees can have classes, discussions and tests online.

Sure, kids benefit from learning how to live away from home in a dorm and balance a schedule on their own, but ballooning college costs have been a problem for a long time.

For athletic programs, what about incoming freshman? How will coaches determine rosters if current seniors all have an option to come back to school? I guess they will just tell the people they want back to come back.
Homer

Post by Homer »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm
rolldodge wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm "Here’s what I’m going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources:
  • How many cases of coronavirus will there be in your area?
  • What will happen when these cases materialize?
  • What should you do?
  • When?
When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
  • The coronavirus is coming to you.
  • It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
  • It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
  • When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
  • Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
  • Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
  • They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
  • The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
  • That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.
As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this."

I've read that. That guy is over the top hysterical. The fact he doesn't know that Taiwan is not extensively connected with China and didn't get greatly impacted is a concern. Note China and Taiwan have no relationship.

I should add that he isn't an epidemiologist or anything like that. Just a guy that wrote a blog but looks good because he can link in a bunch of graphs.
The Taiwan thing is a very small side point in the context of the article as a whole. (It also doesn't strike me as obviously wrong -- Taipei is the 4th most common international destination for air travel from Wuhan. Does that not count as "extensively connected?") Do you have a substantive disagreement with any of the article's core numbers and reasoning?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/3/1 ... ition.aspx

Patriot League says the decision is effective Monday, March 16. So are this weekend's games still on? Very unclear.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

For Williams at least, my understanding is that there is a pro-rated refund of tuition, room and board. Not sure whether that is in the form of a credit or cash.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 am https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/3/1 ... ition.aspx

Patriot League says the decision is effective Monday, March 16. So are this weekend's games still on? Very unclear.
D plays at one of the schools and it was unclear if the scheduled game on Sat. will happen. It is my understanding that it is between the two institutions and primarily the guest who is traveling.
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 am
palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am I read an article with the same numbers and conclusions. Small communities like Ithaca could not support such a level of illness.
Maybe this one?

One of the best layman-friendly arguments for over-reacting that I have read.
What could possibly motivate you to suggest this is a time for over-reacting ?
YOU are irresponsible !

Social distancing is a basic epidemiologic strategy to mitigate the intensity of this problem.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Homer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:39 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm
rolldodge wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm "Here’s what I’m going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources:
  • How many cases of coronavirus will there be in your area?
  • What will happen when these cases materialize?
  • What should you do?
  • When?
When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
  • The coronavirus is coming to you.
  • It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
  • It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
  • When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
  • Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
  • Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
  • They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
  • The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
  • That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.
As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this."

I've read that. That guy is over the top hysterical. The fact he doesn't know that Taiwan is not extensively connected with China and didn't get greatly impacted is a concern. Note China and Taiwan have no relationship.

I should add that he isn't an epidemiologist or anything like that. Just a guy that wrote a blog but looks good because he can link in a bunch of graphs.
The Taiwan thing is a very small side point in the context of the article as a whole. (It also doesn't strike me as obviously wrong -- Taipei is the 4th most common international destination for air travel from Wuhan. Does that not count as "extensively connected?") Do you have a substantive disagreement with any of the article's core numbers and reasoning?
Wow, someone actually said "Note China and Taiwan have no relationship"?????
Taiwan's formal name is actually the Republic of China.....
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Patriot League Announces Cancellation of Spring 2020 Season

BALTIMORE – The Patriot League Council of Presidents announced this morning it has made the difficult decision to cancel all spring athletics practices and competitions through the remainder of the academic year.

"This is an unprecedented time for the Patriot League and for Greyhounds Athletics," said Rev. Brian F. Linnane, S.J., president of Loyola University Maryland. "Our student-athletes and athletic programs are a source of pride for Loyola University Maryland—and will continue to be. My thoughts are with our student-athletes, families, coaches, athletics staff, and fans who have been so looking forward to an exceptional spring season."

The decision will be effective Monday, March 16. An announcement about this weekend’s competitions will be forthcoming.

Text of the Patriot League announcement:

CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – Recognizing that the health and safety of our students and broader communities is our priority, and based on the ongoing spread of Covid 19 (2019 novel Coronavirus), the Patriot League Council of Presidents has made the difficult and challenging decision to cancel all spring athletics practice and competition through the remainder of the academic year.

The majority of Patriot League institutions have announced a temporary or semester-long transition to remote learning. While we recognize the disappointment that will be felt by our student-athletes, coaches, and communities, a continuation of spring seasons is untenable.

The decision will be effective Monday, March 16.

Individual institutions will decide the NCAA championship participation status of winter teams and student-athletes who have qualified.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

nyclaxfan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 am One previous poster commented that online learning does not work.
Online learning works just fine, for those who are self motivated. For those who are not. 4 years of college is a very expensive party....

connections ... whatever. The diploma is a "signal" to the market that you were smart in high school. It gets you in a club. I loved my 4 years in college, but that is not the same as learning (I did a little bit of that too, but not too much ;).

On the school closings. It took me a while to understand what the schools are facing. 2,000 - 10,000 students living in tight quarter dorms and dining halls. If someone gets sick - how do you quarantine? How do you send the home? You can't
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”