All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am Where were all you black plague folks in 2009

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html

I can't remember any of this over the top media coverage, Universities closing, pro sports suspending play and high decibel complaining.

Oh that's right Obama was President. Wasn't he a democrat?

Yup that explains it. Or perhaps it was that N1H1 was no where near as easily transmissible, and didn't have an unknown mortality rate that is at a minimum 10 times greater than the common flu and evidence that it may possibly be greater than a few hundred times more deadly. Perhaps it was the fact that it was a strain of flu and we had a degree of immunity, there was in fact a vaccine, even one of questionable efficiency.

So I suggest you keep your deeply held beliefs and walk right out your door, setup your bandbox and preach it. Make sure you shake every hand you can, really sell it. Have your family help you.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:40 am Where were all you black plague folks in 2009

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

I can't remember any of this over the top media coverage, Universities closing, pro sports suspending play and high decibel complaining.

Ask the Italians.
Thats no answer skippy. Only 79 deaths in Italy.

The death toll, provided by officials on Tuesday night, marked an increase of 27 in 24 hours. Twenty-three per cent of the Italian population is over 65, making it the oldest in the world after Japan.

“Italy is a country of old people,” said Prof Massimo Galli, the director of infectious diseases at Sacco hospital in Milan. “The elderly with previous pathologies are notoriously numerous here. I think this could explain why we are seeing more serious cases of coronavirus here, which I repeat, in the vast majority of cases start mildly and cause few problems, especially in young people and certainly in children.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... k-covid-19
You sell it. :lol:

PS - note the claim of only 79 deaths when Hopkins is reporting 827 and a mortality rate of 6.6%, conservatively 660 times more deadly that the flu.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 am So, here's the thing: a large % of Americans, specifically those who watch Fox, follow Trump's Twitter feed, etc actually still believe that the virus does not actually exist.

Still.

Others think that the virus exists but is less of an issue than the common flu...can't do the math, don't believe Fauci that the virus is 10X (or more) more lethal than the flu.

And both those groups truly believe that this is about 'taking down the President'.

Some even believe this is a Chinese "foreign" bioengineered weapon...

Did the President persuade them otherwise last night?
You, sir, are in too deep. Even the posts from many, that you are in favor of on this forum, has you buried in like an Alabama tick. Your high and mighty observance, clearly shows how stuffy you are and correct you must be, in order to keep your ego fed.

You disavow darned near everyone's opinion, observations, even potential or possible outcomes and put them in 1 of 2 boxes....MD's belief system or they must otherwise be a Fox/Trump follower....GMAFB.

You remind me of the coach/teacher that said no question is a bad on, then when the student ask one....you call them an idiot.
Did I offend you personally youth?

Are you saying you're in one of those groups I described?

Just to be clear if I wasn't before, not all Fox viewers are in one of those camps, nor are they all "idiots".
Some are beginning to recognize this is real and serious.
Not offend me at all md, but your myopic is way off target.
Which aspect?
Please be specific as to what I wrote that you think is "myopic".

My point is that there are large #'s of folks who don't think this is serious.
Why?
IMO, because they've been getting told that it isn't serious.
Over and over again in their closed loop media feeds.

And why does that matter?
Because if we don't get everyone's cooperation in social distancing we won't flatten the curve enough to avoid overwhelming our health system.

Am I being "myopic"?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The bankers at the WH yesterday also fluffed Trump’s ego and downplayed the risk.

https://thebulwark.com/the-coronavirus- ... ald-trump/
Last edited by Trinity on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 am The JHU CSSE (Center for Systems Science and Engineering) has created this interactive worldwide map showing total, active, recovered, and deceased cases. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6
This is instructional. The curve in China has flattened and new cases are decreasing. They already implemented draconian measures, quarantines and mandatory mitigation. Italy is now doing the same and we and other countries are likely next. We have to take the short term restrictive actions to flatten the curve in infections. Once the mitigations start to work, we can then transition back to normal. But it is going to be a rough few weeks.
This is not the end of the world but we are going to have different lives in the near future for a while.
Well you realize of course, this tactic will help to reduce and slowdown the pandemic. It will not be as bad as the worst case predictions. Will likely result in a second wave after some short period of time, months of respite. It will also give 6ft the basis for his coming argument that he was right, it was a nothing burger, just a little worse than the flu. Much ado about nothing, until the second wave hits.

MDlax -- you have a perfect example in one well known poster on this thread. He is not alone. There are Trump zombies everywhere.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Remain calm.
Attachments
87B2678B-D66C-411E-8A11-22ACD1D6E0E8.jpeg
87B2678B-D66C-411E-8A11-22ACD1D6E0E8.jpeg (61.23 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 am

Yup that explains it. Or perhaps it was that N1H1 was no where near as easily transmissible, and didn't have an unknown mortality rate that is at a minimum 10 times greater than the common flu and evidence that it may possibly be greater than a few hundred times more deadly. Perhaps it was the fact that it was a strain of flu and we had a degree of immunity, there was in fact a vaccine, even one of questionable efficiency.

So I suggest you keep your deeply held beliefs and walk right out your door, setup your bandbox and preach it. Make sure you shake every hand you can, really sell it. Have your family help you.
You want to just inject me with the virus. You really are a sanctimonious arrogant prick.

No one is saying this doesn't exist that we don't need to be cautious.

Just questioning the over the top hype when it didn't exist when 12.000 people died of H1 N1 in 2009 on top of the 30,000 that died from the flu that same year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 am The JHU CSSE (Center for Systems Science and Engineering) has created this interactive worldwide map showing total, active, recovered, and deceased cases. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6
This is instructional. The curve in China has flattened and new cases are decreasing. They already implemented draconian measures, quarantines and mandatory mitigation. Italy is now doing the same and we and other countries are likely next. We have to take the short term restrictive actions to flatten the curve in infections. Once the mitigations start to work, we can then transition back to normal. But it is going to be a rough few weeks.
This is not the end of the world but we are going to have different lives in the near future for a while.
Well you realize of course, this tactic will help to reduce and slowdown the pandemic. It will not be as bad as the worst case predictions. Will likely result in a second wave after some short period of time, months of respite. It will also give 6ft the basis for his coming argument that he was right, it was a nothing burger, just a little worse than the flu. Much ado about nothing, until the second wave hits.

MDlax -- you have a perfect example in one well known poster on this thread. He is not alone. There are Trump zombies everywhere.
Got another one in my basement.

Been trying to tell him for well over a month that the family cruise in July he and my wife and their sister have planned to celebrate their 90 year old mom's birthday is going to get cancelled. Grandkids from all over, including one in France, my son in Shanghai (fortunately now in Florida).

They paid over half the cost, AFTER I started saying this was a terrible idea...and no ability to get travel insurance as risk was already known. Rest of the bill was due last week (my family's part), so I made a call, renegotiated price by a third for whole group and an extended timetable for paying with right for full refund. We can cancel up to 2 days before the cruise with full refund. They hadn't thought it was possible (my wife supported my call), and in my brother-in-law's case, all much ado about nothing. :roll:

I suspect cruise will be cancelled by the company, period.

Fortunately, the cruise companies are handling this right.

But if your closed loop feed is Fox, Trump et al's Twitter, Rush, Alex Jones, etc, you really haven't been hearing what the scientists have been saying...it's all filtered through the Trump political lens, the conspiracy lens.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

As expected, market down 1600 points at the open. I guess we have our answer to how well Trump's presentation went over last night. :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:33 am As expected, market down 1600 points at the open. I guess we have our answer to how well Trump's presentation went over last night. :roll:
Circuit breaker triggered.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“This isn’t about Trump. He is the same joke he has always been. It’s about the utter lack of patriotism that allowed Republican leaders to support Trump for the sake of their own power. Now a lot of people are going to die because these Republicans put themselves before country.”

Stuart Stevens, gop consultant, Romney campaign

Ps. Some middle school kids in the Bronx just tested positive. They were on a bus trip this weekend.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:46 am Last night in the Oval was buffoonery of the highest order that instantly hammered the futures market. Errors. Distortions. Useless tactics. But Trump’s bronzer did match the drapes.
NYSE on its first 15 minute circuit breaker after selling hit 7% down. There will be one more 15 minute halt if selling hits 13% and then close for the day
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 am “This isn’t about Trump. He is the same joke he has always been. It’s about the utter lack of patriotism that allowed Republican leaders to support Trump for the sake of their own power. Now a lot of people are going to die because these Republicans put themselves before country.”

Ps. Some middle school kids in the Bronx just tested positive. They were on a bus trip this weekend.
And you're just beaming about it. It's disgusting.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 am “This isn’t about Trump. He is the same joke he has always been. It’s about the utter lack of patriotism that allowed Republican leaders to support Trump for the sake of their own power. Now a lot of people are going to die because these Republicans put themselves before country.”

Heard last night from my oldest son. His wife was exposed yesterday to a carrier. She is a nurse / technician in a physical rehabilitation unit. She is expecting to be tested today.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ask the Italians.

The death toll, provided by officials on Tuesday night, marked an increase of 27 in 24 hours. Twenty-three per cent of the Italian population is over 65, making it the oldest in the world after Japan.

“Italy is a country of old people,” said Prof Massimo Galli, the director of infectious diseases at Sacco hospital in Milan. “The elderly with previous pathologies are notoriously numerous here. I think this could explain why we are seeing more serious cases of coronavirus here, which I repeat, in the vast majority of cases start mildly and cause few problems, especially in young people and certainly in children.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/12/ita ... close.html

“As of Wednesday evening, Italy recorded 12,462 confirmed cases of the virus, and 827 deaths, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University and Italy's Civil Protection agency. The death toll from the virus a day earlier had been 631 people.”

Facts matter.....

Stop reading the Guardian, my Trumpster Buddy is constantly sending me links to that rag. Just that one.
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am

Ask the Italians.

“As of Wednesday evening, Italy recorded 12,462 confirmed cases of the virus, and 827 deaths, according to the latest figures from Johns Hopkins University and Italy's Civil Protection agency. The death toll from the virus a day earlier had been 631 people.”

Facts matter.....

Stop reading the Guardian, my Trumpster Buddy is constantly sending me links to that rag. Just that one.
Those were the FACTS on the date of publication.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am

Ask the Italians.

Facts matter.....

Those were the FACTS on the date of publication.
Ask the Italians if coverage is overblown because Obama is no longer in office. You know what else is a fact, 4 months ago there were 0 cases.
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I like the Jim Cramer idea of Fed guaranteed loans to keep businesses viable.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 am So, here's the thing: a large % of Americans, specifically those who watch Fox, follow Trump's Twitter feed, etc actually still believe that the virus does not actually exist.

Still.

Others think that the virus exists but is less of an issue than the common flu...can't do the math, don't believe Fauci that the virus is 10X (or more) more lethal than the flu.

And both those groups truly believe that this is about 'taking down the President'.

Some even believe this is a Chinese "foreign" bioengineered weapon...

Did the President persuade them otherwise last night?
You, sir, are in too deep. Even the posts from many, that you are in favor of on this forum, has you buried in like an Alabama tick. Your high and mighty observance, clearly shows how stuffy you are and correct you must be, in order to keep your ego fed.

You disavow darned near everyone's opinion, observations, even potential or possible outcomes and put them in 1 of 2 boxes....MD's belief system or they must otherwise be a Fox/Trump follower....GMAFB.

You remind me of the coach/teacher that said no question is a bad on, then when the student ask one....you call them an idiot.
Did I offend you personally youth?

Are you saying you're in one of those groups I described?

Just to be clear if I wasn't before, not all Fox viewers are in one of those camps, nor are they all "idiots".
Some are beginning to recognize this is real and serious.
Not offend me at all md, but your myopic is way off target.
Which aspect?
Please be specific as to what I wrote that you think is "myopic".

My point is that there are large #'s of folks who don't think this is serious.
Why?
IMO, because they've been getting told that it isn't serious.
Over and over again in their closed loop media feeds.

And why does that matter?
Because if we don't get everyone's cooperation in social distancing we won't flatten the curve enough to avoid overwhelming our health system.

Am I being "myopic"?
you say the above in red and blue with certainty...putting all those people in a box.

Myopic - lacking intellectual insight.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

The latest statement from Dr. Anthony Fauci at NIH

"Vulnerable Americans should limit exposure to travel and large crowds. When I say protect, I mean right now. Not wait until things get worse. Say no large crowds, no long trips. And above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

Word on the street that NYC is preparing for a total lockdown to be announced at any time.

Buckle up, folks.

This is NOT a drill.

Return to “POLITICS”