School Closings

General Chatter
Trumansburger

Re: School Closings

Post by Trumansburger »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm March Madness will be closed to the public. The NCAA is now recommending ALL events be held without fans.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status ... 6112183297

Feels like only a matter of time before the rest of the lacrosse season is cancelled for everyone. Ivy won't be the only ones.
Agree. It will take only one athlete to be infected. His whole team will be quarantined as well as any teams they have played against in the last 14 days. Uggh!
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

I think people are blaming the administrations unfairly. These cancellations have to do fully with insurance. The carriers cant afford to have mass liability on campuses across the country, so they are forcing schools to shut down. It is that simple.

An anecdote - I was exposed to a person directly with a confirmed case of coronavirus a few weeks ago. Found out recently, so had to quarantine for a few days until the 14 day period was over. The person had no symptoms and was otherwise perfectly healthy at a work meeting. Now the person is having serious medical issues. This is happening and it is real.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DU-fan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:07 pm Rutgers home sporting events played with no spectators.

This is a better trend.
Until they change their minds.

This is moving fast, so stay tuned.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Things are moving quickly. This is not specifically a lacrosse comment (and I won't comment much more on this topic) is to encourage people to patronize small businesses where you live. In times of crisis, the local sporting goods store, coffee shop, restaurant, barber, etc, really feel the pinch. My guess is that many will be extremely sensitive and careful as to hygiene issues, since it is their livelihood.

Wishing everyone good health.
calourie

Post by calourie »

NBA just suspended the season because Rudy Gobert has the disease. Will be surprised if 2020 spring college athletics are long for this world.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

calourie wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 pm NBA just suspended the season because Rudy Gobert has the disease. Will be surprised if 2020 spring college athletics are long for this world.

I’m surprised we are still playing this weekend. Not opposed to it but I can’t see anyone playing if the Ivies cancel.

Huge bummer. Hoping you all stay safe out there. Get rest and eat fruit.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Univ of Delaware prof is the first corona virus case in that state. https://www-nbcphiladelphia-com.cdn.amp ... 2322213%2F

I’m going to go out on a limb and predict on-line classes after spring break.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Hate to say it but it’s over, I’ll be shocked if they even play Saturday games. Students will be home by Monday.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Updated top 20...

:?

1 Syracuse
2 UNC
3 UMD
4 PSU
5 Duke
6 GT
7 UVA
8 UD
9 ND
10 Nova
11 Army
12 UMASS
13 Loyola
14 OSU
15 Lehigh
16 Hobart
17 Richmond
18 St joes
19 Bucknell
20 Providence
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 pm Updated top 20...

:?

1 Syracuse
2 UNC
3 UMD
4 PSU
5 Duke
6 GT
7 UVA
8 UD
9 ND
10 Nova
11 Army
12 UMASS
13 Loyola
14 OSU
15 Lehigh
16 Hobart
17 Richmond
18 St joes
19 Bucknell
20 Providence
Heh, still no Hopkins. If we wipe out the ACC and Big East they might sneak in the bottom.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Probably a lot of you on here that feel the same way I do about all of this. I love this sport more than any other sport out there. It's gonna really stink when the whole season inevitably gets shut down. I have 2 more seasons to coach my son at the U14 level, and I can't imagine I won't lose one of those when our county league has cancel its season. I'm really going to miss that. He and I still have years of Final Four games to attend, but I'll never get this year back if/once his town season gets cancelled.

I get why it has to happen, but it sucks.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:11 pm Hate to say it but it’s over, I’ll be shocked if they even play Saturday games. Students will be home by Monday.
But Belichick is getting a key to Annapolis awarded at the Navy game!!! The Navy show must go on, if not solely for him!
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Rumor is the ACC is gonna cancel all spring sports today. With the NBA's action, the NCAA's days are numbers. I fully expect a NCAA bball player will get it and force the end of march madness. Even if that 1 NBA player is the only player with the virus, you can directly connect all 30 NBA teams within the past 5 days to that individual.
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

OK, so what are all the posters going to do this spring? Time for the Eggheads to set up some virtual games with stats, standings, playoffs etc. We know where John Hopkins will end up ( :roll: ). Sorry, this is all hitting too hard, too quick. Really feel for all the players, staff, parents, especially seniors. Hopefully the year can be made up somehow. Hate to see a year lost. Hoping for the best for all as we know it is only a game, but so is life. This is definitely getting bigger than we expected and affects more than athletes, just thinking selfishly at the moment and venting. Hopefully it is over soon. Obviously lots of hope. Best to all.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

VMI is closing barracks today at end of classes. Keydets are then on spring break. Lax team is spending night at hotel awaiting determination of tomorrow's game at High Point. Superintendent is sending out daily updates at 1600L each day.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

veryoldgoose wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 am Rumor is the ACC is gonna cancel all spring sports today. With the NBA's action, the NCAA's days are numbers. I fully expect a NCAA bball player will get it and force the end of march madness. Even if that 1 NBA player is the only player with the virus, you can directly connect all 30 NBA teams within the past 5 days to that individual.

What an odd feeling we all have right now. I use this forum to make some levity every so often, but this situation doesn't quite seem funny at the moment.

I'm sure this season will be canceled all around. If the ACC and the Ivies are done (assuming this post above is accurate), I just don't see how the B1G continues, and after that, what's the point... I'm a Loyola homer, and half (if not more) of my lacrosse fun is beating (much) larger schools. If all of the big schools cancel their season, honestly, who cares about playing at that stage.

OTH, if we do end up playing Bucknell this weekend, I still want to get the W.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

wrapcheque wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 am OK, so what are all the posters going to do this spring? Time for the Eggheads to set up some virtual games with stats, standings, playoffs etc. We know where John Hopkins will end up ( :roll: ). Sorry, this is all hitting too hard, too quick. Really feel for all the players, staff, parents, especially seniors. Hopefully the year can be made up somehow. Hate to see a year lost. Hoping for the best for all as we know it is only a game, but so is life. This is definitely getting bigger than we expected and affects more than athletes, just thinking selfishly at the moment and venting. Hopefully it is over soon. Obviously lots of hope. Best to all.
Posters will discuss:
(A) What if....
(B) Will NCAA grant blanket eligibility (i.e. this partial season does/does not count)
(C) Impact on red shirt's (do they red shirt again?)
(D) Impact on scholarships (if seniors get another year, will they still be on scholarship? what about new student's scholarships? Teams will basically have 5 years worth of players eligible).
(E) If this pandemic ends at XXXX date, what will NCAA do?
(F) Will stats count if season ends now?
(G) Anything and everything related JHU from this is a Blue jay plot, to the band is at fault, to why they didn't go to zone earlier, to goalie work, to certain player's injuries to.....
(H) What could of been....
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Read an article this morning, swayed me to accept the season probably over. CoVid-19 virus is much more contagious virus then the common flu by a very high factor. Meaning many more people will get it, while for most of us it will not be that bad, the concern is the 20% that do have problems. They could overwhelm the healthcare system, as great as they tell us it is in the US,it is not prepared for the potential numbers it could see. The Government is trying to flatten the bell curve so there is not a large spike in a short time. So based on the things being suggested, wrapcheque suggestion of a virtual league might be our best option.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm
DU-fan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm The best approach would be for
  • Schools to go to online classes.
  • Keep the athletes on campus during Spring Break (which the teams already do) and have them participate online from school.
  • Limit the crowds which lacrosse already does well due to limited popularity. :lol:
The biggest risk is travel and for the older coaches.

It is shame that the NESCAC and Ivies do not support their athletes and sports programs enough.
I just don’t think you can do this. You can’t tell all of the students save the athletes that they have to go home but that the athletes get to stay on campus. You would get filleted for the optics on that.
I’m as disappointed as anyone on the cancelation of the Ivy lax season but to say they don’t support their athletes is a ridiculous statement. They are clearly looking at the bigger picture and understand the potential implication to the students, local community and the nations health care system. One only needs to look at Italy to understand what might happen if the right precautions are not made.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:39 am Read an article this morning, swayed me to accept the season probably over. CoVid-19 virus is much more contagious virus then the common flu by a very high factor. Meaning many more people will get it, while for most of us it will not be that bad, the concern is the 20% that do have problems. They could overwhelm the healthcare system, as great as they tell us it is in the US,it is not prepared for the potential numbers it could see. The Government is trying to flatten the bell curve so there is not a large spike in a short time. So based on the things being suggested, wrapcheque suggestion of a virtual league might be our best option.
I read an article with the same numbers and conclusions. Small communities like Ithaca could not support such a level of illness.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”