School Closings

General Chatter
DU-fan

Re: School Closings

Post by DU-fan »

The best approach would be for
  • Schools to go to online classes.
  • Keep the athletes on campus during Spring Break (which the teams already do) and have them participate online from school.
  • Limit the crowds which lacrosse already does well due to limited popularity. :lol:
The biggest risk is travel and for the older coaches.

It is shame that the NESCAC and Ivies do not support their athletes and sports programs enough.
Last edited by DU-fan on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm UVA just announced students are not supposed to return from spring break (which they are on) until further notice. No gatherings of 100 or more people are allowed. Online classes to start March 18th.
A D1 lacrosse game has over 100 people if you count trainers and coaches. I wonder how that will be counted. I think the NCAA Basketball Tournament is a big factor here. If they determine that they need to play in empty venues it could be the end of spring sports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 020741002/

Limiting the number of fans who can attend events is the next step towards cancelling seasons.
guys - Ryan sent a VERY detailed and thoughtful email/letter on the entire subject. The facts I posted are pulled straight from his letter. No events of over 100 people unless at JPJ or athletic. They don't want kids to come back from spring break, but will accommodate those who have to, and allow kids to come get stuff they need. They are even offering financial assistance to those who need it. It is clear that a good amount of thought went into the plan and letter. It includes a good amount of humility and acknowledgement that this is new territory and no one really knows what the heck they are doing.
I would also like to thank all of you for your patience and understanding. Put simply, UVA has never encountered something quite like this. There is no roadmap for trying to put most of the University curriculum online in a week. But I have enormous faith in this community—in your resilience, your willingness to do your part to keep others safe, and your ability to make the most of a very difficult situation.
Now with the Ivy league cancelling spring sports - it may make some of the athletic stuff irrelevant....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DU-fan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm The best approach would be for
  • Keep the athletes on campus during Spring Break (which the teams already do) and have them participate online from school.
  • Limit the crowds which lacrosse already does well due to limited popularity. :lol:

It is shame that the NESCAC and Ivies do not support their athletes and sports programs enough.
I just don’t think you can do this. You can’t tell all of the students save the athletes that they have to go home but that the athletes get to stay on campus. You would get filleted for the optics on that.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

You're making too much sense DU-fan
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Immunity contagion is a real thing. Best advice from other countries and our own experts is cancel everything. Athletes don’t come first in the calculus anymore than internships or studies abroad etc
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:27 pm

I just don’t think you can do this. You can’t tell all of the students save the athletes that they have to go home but that the athletes get to stay on campus. You would get filleted for the optics on that.
Many of the Ivies and NESCAC's are letting some international students stay on campus because they can't get home quickly due to travel challenges. I am not sure how long they are offering that option. But, it would seem wrong to force kids to go back to Italy, Iran, or other countries struggling with COVID-19 if students are safer on campus.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

NCAA Basketball championships will be staff and family only
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

March Madness will be closed to the public. The NCAA is now recommending ALL events be held without fans.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status ... 6112183297

Feels like only a matter of time before the rest of the lacrosse season is cancelled for everyone. Ivy won't be the only ones.
socalref

Post by socalref »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm NCAA Basketball championships will be staff and family only
Too much money in the TV rights to the games to cancel the season. Lax doesn't rate that much support.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Deleting this post. There are much better sources for this information.
Last edited by rolldodge on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:49 pm "Here’s what I’m going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources:
  • How many cases of coronavirus will there be in your area?
  • What will happen when these cases materialize?
  • What should you do?
  • When?
When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:
  • The coronavirus is coming to you.
  • It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
  • It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
  • When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
  • Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
  • Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
  • They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.
  • The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
  • That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.
As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this."

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
I've read that. That guy is over the top hysterical. The fact he doesn't know that Taiwan is not extensively connected with China and didn't get greatly impacted is a concern. Note China and Taiwan have no relationship.

I should add that he isn't an epidemiologist or anything like that. Just a guy that wrote a blog but looks good because he can link in a bunch of graphs.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Delaware will hold all sports without spectators permitted. All out-of-season sports are cancelled.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 pm
I've read that. That guy is over the top hysterical. The fact he doesn't know that Taiwan is not extensively connected with China and didn't get greatly impacted is a concern. Note China and Taiwan have no relationship.

I should add that he isn't an epidemiologist or anything like that. Just a guy that wrote a blog but looks good because he can link in a bunch of graphs.
Yes, I considered not posting for those reasons, and should have probably followed my instinct. Thanks for fact check. Deleted initial post.

However, less hysterical, But "March 2020: Cancel, cancel cancel" is the takeaway:

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/stat ... 88131?s=20
Attachments
ES1_Fv6WkAE9NxD.jpg
ES1_Fv6WkAE9NxD.jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Last edited by rolldodge on Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Rutgers home sporting events played with no spectators.

This is a better trend.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

dp68 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:07 pm
Denver14 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 pm It's gonna be tough to rank the 2021 preseason, since that looks like its going to be the next meaningful poll. Maybe we get one more, and a bunch of teams get to be in the top 20 that don't normally get that chance. Does everyone get an extra season from this?
Certainly not in the Ivies, and since most teams have already played half their schedule, I can't see some form of nationwide medical redshirt handed out.
How many games can a kid play & still be able to redshirt? Football is 4
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Oh sure this guy is an expert in infectious diseases and we should all heed his advice:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo (scroll down to see all his Medical Credentials)
Laxdoc31

Post by Laxdoc31 »

He doesn't seem too keen on closing schools.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Hopkins at Navy still on for this Sat.
Free admission, free parking, lower levels both sides open, no concessions, no tailgating.
The Hopkins band should take this game off (airborne contaminants)
https://navysports.com/news/2020/3/11/g ... tions.aspx

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”