Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DA/PU

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by DA/PU »

I encourage everyone and their peer program supporters to flood the league office with requests to resume the seasons at later date TBD or allow redshirting due to extreme circumstances. This is a mess. The kids deserve better even if this is the appropriate response to not play right now. Let them either resume seasons later across D1 (if rest of NCAA follows suit) or if the rest of D1 plays, let them return without penalty next year like a redshirt. Be nimble if you're going to roll out unprecedented action.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Feel for the students, athletes or not, but an excess of caution is the way to go. US is way behind the curve on knowing the extent of this, like Italy & China were (see compared to S. Korea & Singapore)

[Please, please guys. Here in northern #Italy we made one big mistake. Everybody kept saying "It's just flu" and now our intensive care units are collapsing. Everybody kept going outside like nothing happened and now our grandparents and parents are dying.#coronavirus is not #flu— Zìbora💮🇮🇹 (@labisbeticah) March 9, 2020]

China has apparently turned the corner, but their mistake was covering up the issue at first due to CYA-ism.

Redshirt year👍🏻 although seniors probably have gigs lined up, some in MLL/PLL
oldlaxjunkie

Post by oldlaxjunkie »

just posted on Inside lacrosse... Ivy league cancels spring sports amid COVID-19... the beginning of the end.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Update:

Dana O'Neil
@DanaONeilWriter
Ivy League personnel just told me it will likely request a blanket waiver/extra year for all spring sport athletes whose seasons were just canceled.

Very valid response from Trevor Tierney:

Trevor Tierney
@trevor_tierney
There are still major challenges for these SAs. Will they also waive the $70k for tuition, room, and board? Also, not many five year academic programs at Ivy schools.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Life will go on for these kids and they will get degrees from great universities, but I do feel badly for Sowers. Kid has been phenomenal and finally has some players to play with … and he will graduate with a ton of individual records and not one Ivy League playoff game or NCAA playoff game. He finally had a chance to possibly show his stuff on a broader stage and it was extinguished. This coming from a Yale fan …
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

On the one hand, they wouldn’t have to worry about splitting 12.6 schollies among 5 years worth of players. On the other hand, it the majority of seniors came back for a 5th year that would make a hella mess out of rosters. They should waive room and board, since they will still be “going to school” remotely I have a hard time seeing them waive tuition.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Teat, Sowers, Ierlan and all of these baller seniors should form a super team if they can't logistically justify staying in the league, win a natty and hoist it as Ivy All Stars.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Lets remember who we are talking about here, folks - the Ivy League. They will not lift one finger for athletes. It would be below them to do that.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Couldn't they just have done this after this weekend so we could have seen Yale-Cornell, Penn-Princeton, Brown-Harvard. At least then we would have had a good reason to hang around FanLax for another week, and Dartmouth could have claimed an undefeated Ivy season
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm Life will go on for these kids and they will get degrees from great universities, but I do feel badly for Sowers. Kid has been phenomenal and finally has some players to play with … and he will graduate with a ton of individual records and not one Ivy League playoff game or NCAA playoff game. He finally had a chance to possibly show his stuff on a broader stage and it was extinguished. This coming from a Yale fan …
I appreciate your sentiment, Lax3. However, Sowers did play in one Ivy League playoff game, in 2017, a 17-15 semi-final loss to Brown. Here's hoping for a return to normality for all of us.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

DA/PU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:31 pm Teat, Sowers, Ierlan and all of these baller seniors should form a super team if they can't logistically justify staying in the league, win a natty and hoist it as Ivy All Stars.
Lobby the PLL to expand by one additional team and put all of them on it. I'd watch ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Feel badly for these gifted young men and women.

Sadly, such is life.

Best wishes on whatever they choose to do moving forward.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
calourie

Post by calourie »

Also a heartfelt thanks to all, particularly the seniors on all the teams for providing such a profound source of interest and enjoyment for me as well as I'm sure many other fans and spectators.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

dmittleman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm
DA/PU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm The Ivy League
@IvyLeague

The Ivy League Presidents are announcing their unanimous decision to cancel all spring athletics practice and competition through the remainder of the academic year amid further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19.
total beta-male move by liberal administrators
What an asstard.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Will be interesting to see if any other leagues follow.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Trumansburger wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm Will be interesting to see if any other leagues follow.
SUNY/CUNY announced campus closures with the remainder of the semester handled online. I feel it's inevitable all leagues will follow in short order.
Dartjd76

Post by Dartjd76 »

Ivy League To Cancel All Athletic Events Through Remainder Of The Spring
3/11/2020 3:01:00 PM

By: The Ivy League

Story Links
PRINCETON, N.J. – With further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19, the Ivy League Presidents are announcing their unanimous decision to cancel all spring athletics practice and competition through the remainder of the academic year.

Individual institutions will decide whether or not winter teams and student-athletes who have qualified for postseason play will participate.

In accordance with the guidance of public health and medical professionals, several Ivy League institutions have announced that students will not return to campus after spring break, and classes will be held virtually during the semester. Given this situation, it is not feasible for practice and competition to continue.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It took a little time to finalize but it was inevitable
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

No idea how this virus will play out but leave it to the "we think we are smarter than everyone else" Ivy league presidents to CANCEL the season rather than suspend it to see how things look in a month.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Shame the season gets cancelled. Virtually all the IVY teams’ arrow was pointing up with four teams in the top 10 and others feeling confident in the direction of their programs. Too bad, particularly for seniors.

Just curious, would the NCAA consider the cancellation of a school’s season the equivalent of a “medical red shirt”, and allow a fifth year?. As a parent, if allowed and my son wanted to complete a fifth year I would have him miss a fall semester and take a fifth spring. In other words, three falls and five springs. Many take a “gap year” during college years and most collegiate athletes would consider their four years of being a teammate as amongst the top periods of their life. Most are looking at a work career of 30-50 years. Why cut 25 % of an athletes “best” four years?

If my son wanted a fifth spring to have four years of lacrosse I would give it to him. Interested if others feel the same way. I also think a fall semester doing an internship or working is a very productive introduction to life and a career post graduation. That way parents pay eight semesters and the student takes five years to get a four year degree. Summer work or internship is not always enough exposure to life post graduation. And to take away a season of lacrosse seems harsh and unnecessary. The work world can wait a year

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”