NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Lax3

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by Lax3 »

NESCAC presidents just cancelled the spring seasons - not suspended, cancelled.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 am NESCAC presidents just cancelled the spring seasons - not suspended, cancelled.
Wow. :shock:
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Where did you hear that information? If it’s true I’m appalled.
Deacs24

Post by Deacs24 »

My son got an email from the AD.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

HelpD

Post by HelpD »

ToastDunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:57 am
SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 am Many, many of these posts are not going to age well.
+1
Dave

Post by Dave »

These administrators are being so short sighted. In trying to be all-inclusive (i.e. not tell any one single person to stay away from campus - but everyone must stay away), is silly.

Simple solution - If you travel off campus during Spring Break - don't come back or self quarantine for 30 days. If you stay - congratulations for being a dedicated student athlete, and you may continue with working to achieve your athletic and academic goals. Instead, they are punishing everyone....heaven forbid commons sense prevail...Heartbreaking for the Seniors and families.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

The outbreak is going to get worse over the coming weeks, so yes, by all means let's wait until it hits our campuses before taking decisive action.
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

lax7537 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:33 pm
Nothing But Net wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:51 pm I commented earlier on another tread, about the Schools CYA tought

There is serious liability fears that if these schools would face if they allowed their teams to participate in locations designated as current “States of Emergency”, and it was deemed that the College would be considered negligent if the worst was to occur.(one of their student-athletes compete at an away competition and somehow comes become infected then passes that along to others and a tragedy occurs)
I am assuming that many small schools do not have the budget or desire to waiver through the courts or put themselves in a position of a potential lawsuits that could be forthcoming in such an event. These schools would be heavily criticized that they knowingly but others in harm’s way and risk. And, it not like they can just quarantine (Isolate) the team, since the team still would be a representation of the College.
I guess the cost of shutting down the program is less expensive than paying potentially millions if something horribly happened in their minds.
So if the team travels and a player gets the regular Flu they can be held liable?
Yes, if you are aware that even if there is the regular flu in existence and you knowingly but others in risk or harm’s way without providing acknowledgement ... you can be held liable. Was even discussed on Fox this morning with Judge Andrew Napolitano.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

ToastDunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm The outbreak is going to get worse over the coming weeks, so yes, by all means let's wait until it hits our campuses before taking decisive action.
So if thats the over-arching concern, why not shut down all the elementary and high schools across the country?

For places like Williams, Middlebury, etc, out in the middle of nowhere, if these "woke bastions of higher ed" were TRULY concerned about the students' health rather than institutional liability, they would have instead cancelled spring break, had the students spend the week on campus hanging out with no classes, not allowed visitors on to campus, and kept the students insulated from the virus in a safe haven like a small college community with limited outside contact.

But i'm sure many a snowflake wouldn't have liked that approach.
skipjacks3

Post by skipjacks3 »

ToastDunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 pm The outbreak is going to get worse over the coming weeks, so yes, by all means let's wait until it hits our campuses before taking decisive action.
You can understand why cancelling sports seasons 2-3 months in advance might be a knee-jerk reaction for some? If this is the short term solution, then the long term solution should be moving to an online educational system all together.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

DuckLax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm
So if thats the over-arching concern, why not shut down all the elementary and high schools across the country?

For places like Williams, Middlebury, etc, out in the middle of nowhere, if these "woke bastions of higher ed" were TRULY concerned about the students' health rather than institutional liability, they would have instead cancelled spring break, had the students spend the week on campus hanging out with no classes, not allowed visitors on to campus, and kept the students insulated from the virus in a safe haven like a small college community with limited outside contact.

Well Duck, not sure where you live but around me plenty of schools (elementary – high school) are being closed. As you know the virus doesn't appear to affect children (18 and younger) like it does us older folk. Students can however get the virus (sometimes without showing symptoms) and pass it on to others. Unfortunately school administrators and the teaching staff don't fall into that same age category, and can be much more at risk.

My son is a senior, and it will be unfortunate to end his college lacrosse years like this. BUT it's just a game, a sport, he'll get over it. Plenty of life to live ahead of him. These young men and women playing college sports will move on, they have to. All but the "snowflakes" I imagine.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

As is often the case, Ivy League follows NESCAC lead and have cancelled as well.
skipjacks3

Post by skipjacks3 »

ToastDunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:24 pm
DuckLax wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Well Duck, not sure where you live but around me plenty of schools (elementary – high school) are being closed. As you know the virus doesn't appear to affect children (18 and younger) like it does us older folk. Students can however get the virus (sometimes without showing symptoms) and pass it on to others. Unfortunately school administrators and the teaching staff don't fall into that same age category, and can be much more at risk.

My son is a senior, and it will be unfortunate to end his college lacrosse years like this. BUT it's just a game, a sport, he'll get over it. Plenty of life to live ahead of him. These young men and women playing college sports will move on, they have to. All but the "snowflakes" I imagine.
You could have easily just been mistaken for describing influenza and it's high transmission rate in public settings with an ability to kill thousands on a yearly basis. If this is now the standard that is set (for the reasons you have described above), then make it so across the board and come up with a long term preventative solution in handling highly transmittable illnesses.
bulax

Post by bulax »

Conn College plays at Wesleyan tonight. 7pm. Hoping for an all senior send off. Can’t imagine the emotions the seniors must be feeling, just glad they get at least 1 more game.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Regarding the NCAA basketball tournaments -

"...all Division I men's and women's basketball tournament games will be played in arenas without fans....only 'essential staff and limited family' will be allowed to attend."
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I was at the Tufts game yest. and just watched the end of Williams/RPI on the webs (a comeback win by the Ephs). Interesting to note the difference between the joy with which Ephs celebrated the win tonight as compared to the melancholy response at Tufts yest. Was the difference due to a day to digest and reconcile the news or the result of a comeback win, curious.
lax7537

Post by lax7537 »

Probably. Tufts found out at halftime.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:03 pm I was at the Tufts game yest. and just watched the end of Williams/RPI on the webs (a comeback win by the Ephs). Interesting to note the difference between the joy with which Ephs celebrated the win tonight as compared to the melancholy response at Tufts yest. Was the difference due to a day to digest and reconcile the news or the result of a comeback win, curious.
I think because based on the first four games, Tufts was 100% the #1 team in the country and those kids probably felt as though the National Championship was taken from them before they could make a run. Williams has not proven anything on the national stage and barely beating RPI shows how vulnerable they are despite all the Hype. I would celebrate too if I almost lost to team that is not in the top 20.
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:31 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:03 pm I was at the Tufts game yest. and just watched the end of Williams/RPI on the webs (a comeback win by the Ephs). Interesting to note the difference between the joy with which Ephs celebrated the win tonight as compared to the melancholy response at Tufts yest. Was the difference due to a day to digest and reconcile the news or the result of a comeback win, curious.
I think because based on the first four games, Tufts was 100% the #1 team in the country and those kids probably felt as though the National Championship was taken from them before they could make a run. Williams has not proven anything on the national stage and barely beating RPI shows how vulnerable they are despite all the Hype. I would celebrate too if I almost lost to team that is not in the top 20.
^^^^ BIG TRUSS!!!!
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”