Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:07 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 pm '06 you are joining Sag A and Doc in the looney bin line - Mabbett didn't even play

BTW - I know alot of players who played against Hopkins in the JHU Heyday so they got to hear "To Win To Win" ALOT. While to a man they said they HATED that song they never thought it was poor class - it was simply a tradition celebrating a goal. UVA plays a song after every goal.
the mabett thing was a joke.
I like it. Bench the retarded looking mascot too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hop got a little help from the gods, but for the immaculate deflection goal this game doesn't go into OT.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:51 am Hop got a little help from the gods, but for the immaculate deflection goal this game doesn't go into OT.
Or the hockey assist to Cole from the Mount goalie.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 pm A few current rankings prior to this MSM matchup:

Massey: 26th

Laf’s LaxBytes Power Ranking: 42nd

Krach: 55th

Polls, which I don’t care one whit about: NR, and AFAIK no “receiving votes” in any of them.
laf has already updated his LaxBytes Power Rankings.

Hopkins drops from 42nd to 46th.

They will be straight up underdogs to both Navy and Delaware without the HFA for those two hosting teams.

Only projected win left is Michigan.

Heartbreaking loss for Mount. Definitely outplayed Hopkins.

BTW, there was plenty of info to suggest putting Giacalone in during the third quarter. Never happened. Darby finished with a .429 save percentage.

But, here’s something that bugs me: in the end, the goalie’s stats suffer, but this defense is just way too porous.

The future does not bode well.
Good news! laf entered in another game or two (Furman and maybe Jacksonville).

Hopkins moved up from 46th to 45th late last night. Still down from 42nd prior to the MSM game though.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 am
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:51 am Hop got a little help from the gods, but for the immaculate deflection goal this game doesn't go into OT.
That errant pass to Cole was the crescendo of the 4th qtr breakown by Mount. I get what Mount was trying to do....they knew JHU would score goals, they were just trying to limit JHU chances my milking clock. By intentionally throwing the ball away, multiple times, on shot clock expiration ....IMO is a cardinal sin...especially in a sport where valuing the ball matters. At a minimum, if you just shoot it into crease your odds of regaining possession are greater than throwing it away.

Fun game to watch.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:35 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:45 am
That errant pass to Cole was the crescendo of the 4th qtr breakown by Mount. I get what Mount was trying to do....they knew JHU would score goals, they were just trying to limit JHU chances my milking clock. By intentionally throwing the ball away, multiple times, on shot clock expiration ....IMO is a cardinal sin...especially in a sport where valuing the ball matters. At a minimum, if you just shoot it into crease your odds of regaining possession are greater than throwing it away.

Fun game to watch.
To many, the term is schadenfreude.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I was curious to see how you JHU boys felt this morning. The Mount had you dead to rights.

The MSM goalie had a touch of the whip in his mesh, trying to get a very simple pass over Williams' head. Brutal. That pass connects, game over, and this board erupts like never before.

Angels dancing on the head of a pin right about now regards your coaching issue. Certainly doesn't feel much like a 'win'.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Massey updated:

JHU remains at #26.

More significantly, the odds against Rutgers dropped from 49% to 46%. Circle it.
JHUscheduleMasseyPostMSM
JHUscheduleMasseyPostMSM
40D2BD14-789B-41D8-8215-A349E503410A.jpeg (249.42 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Hopkins has beaten the Massey ranked 48th and 49th teams.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wg - I hear you - I guess I still chalk up the counting as cheering for your team and it comes from the fans not the players. It's also a 100 year old tradition or so? I can see that not all traditions are good ones, but opposing fans can take heart - a) few people count anymore b) Hopkins is never up by 9 in the 3rd either

It used to be cool when Homewood was packed and the counting could be heard for literally blocks. I remember in 74 my brother and I were late and parking was non existent and Hop was taking it to the favored Urso led Terps and you knew how many goals Hopkins had scored 2 blocks away.

That reminds me - how was Hop's #1 fan last night? He must have been ready to take a header off the press box roof.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:47 am wg - I hear you - I guess I still chalk up the counting as cheering for your team and it comes from the fans not the players. It's also a 100 year old tradition or so? I can see that not all traditions are good ones, but opposing fans can take heart - a) few people count anymore b) Hopkins is never up by 9 in the 3rd either

It used to be cool when Homewood was packed and the counting could be heard for literally blocks. I remember in 74 my brother and I were late and parking was non existent and Hop was taking it to the favored Urso led Terps and you knew how many goals Hopkins had scored 2 blocks away.

That reminds me - how was Hop's #1 fan last night? He must have been ready to take a header off the press box roof.
I’m pretty sure I was overhearing ogre phan's language on the webcast. Cussing. Yelling at the refs. And that was just the first quarter.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 am Massey updated:

JHU remains at #26.

More significantly, the odds against Rutgers dropped from 49% to 46%. Circle it.

40D2BD14-789B-41D8-8215-A349E503410A.jpeg

Hopkins has beaten the Massey ranked 48th and 49th teams.
BTW, Massey is doing okay at predicting how many goals Hopkins is going to score, but it is seriously under predicting how many goals Hopkins gives up due to the serious lack of fundamentals.

You can pretty much add 3 or 4 to the Massey goals allowed prediction for Hopkins upcoming games.

LaxBytes score predictions based on power rankings and HFA does a better job, and projects Hopkins to finish 3-10.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 pm They almost lost to a sub 500 nec program at home today. What makes you proud of that non murphy/prouty effort?
Please point me to where I even remotely insinuated I was proud of anything. Just because I'm not on here anonymously calling kids "garbage" by name like you doesn't mean I am proud or happy or satisfied. I'm pretty sure my posts during the game saying I was miserable, that the defense was a nightmare, and that we were extremely fortunate to win communicated that point already.

If the season is cut short and players are granted another year of eligibility, what happens to all the Ivy League seniors who want to keep playing? Assuming the league does not bend their rules given the circumstances, all those kids would have to look elsewhere for their 5th years. Would be transfer chaos.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Offense last night

I wonder if Bobby woke up today and said..."that's it, that's my offense, we looked awesome last night, showed progress, we are back??
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Mightyjoe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 am Offense last night

I wonder if Bobby woke up today and said..."that's it, that's my offense, we looked awesome last night, showed progress, we are back??
Heading drills in practice today
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:20 am
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:56 pm They almost lost to a sub 500 nec program at home today. What makes you proud of that non murphy/prouty effort?
Please point me to where I even remotely insinuated I was proud of anything. Just because I'm not on here anonymously calling kids "garbage" by name like you doesn't mean I am proud or happy or satisfied. I'm pretty sure my posts during the game saying I was miserable, that the defense was a nightmare, and that we were extremely fortunate to win communicated that point already.

If the season is cut short and players are granted another year of eligibility, what happens to all the Ivy League seniors who want to keep playing? Assuming the league does not bend their rules given the circumstances, all those kids would have to look elsewhere for their 5th years. Would be transfer chaos.

I'd think JHU would be one of, if not the, prime beneficiaries of a 5th year scramble, post-2020 season. Thinking of all the Ivy kids who would want that extra year, JHU, Gtown, Duke seem to be favorably disposed to being their one-year home.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I was thinking the state schools given their lower cost of tuition would be and I think we play more in the b1g than anyone else. I don't remember the specifics of duke well enough to know what happens with scholarships. Next years are probably already allocated but if these kids get a 5th year are schools then able to basically offer them whatever they want as long as they can come up with the extra $$?

I don't get why forry and zinn were benched in ot for baskin/degnon but connor was not.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

COVID update, how to know of any JHU Athletics changes:

“Athletic events are on as scheduled as of now with no limit on fan attendance (as of now). Any updates to that will be posted to our athletic website (HopkinsSports.com) and distributed via our normal channels (social media, etc.).”
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 pm
Homer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm Taunting the band at 1:48 in the 2nd was never a smart move. Never seen a Hopkins opponent make such a classless gesture. Stuff like that builds up and partly led to the COMEBACK. Nor will it be forgotten next time Mt. visits Homewood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3wLly3Hm4
Great. We have a new Rivalry.

Let’s make the Big Effing Crab between Hopkins and The Mount.
The Quakers vs the Catholics. Not exactly Miami Notre Dame but I bet our social media Dept can market it
Bluejayfan2

Post by Bluejayfan2 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:20 am COVID update, how to know of any JHU Athletics changes:

“Athletic events are on as scheduled as of now with no limit on fan attendance (as of now). Any updates to that will be posted to our athletic website (HopkinsSports.com) and distributed via our normal channels (social media, etc.).”
We haven’t had a FAN ATTENDANCE LIMIT problem all season and as a matter of fact it, seems we haven’t had that problem for most of the last decade
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:15 am

I was thinking the state schools given their lower cost of tuition would be and I think we play more in the b1g than anyone else. I don't remember the specifics of duke well enough to know what happens with scholarships. Next years are probably already allocated but if these kids get a 5th year are schools then able to basically offer them whatever they want as long as they can come up with the extra $$?

I don't get why forry and zinn were benched in ot for baskin/degnon but connor was not.
Forey and Zinn couldn't score or move. Degnon and Baskin produced.
Great point with Connor. Not sure what he's adding or added the last 5 games.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”