Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by steel_hop »

Homer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm administration was probably wondering when/if to shut down campus and what to do about sais bologna, among other matters.
up
Just learned in-person classes are cancelled at Homewood through April 12.
At least they aren’t kicking students to the curb like Harvard. Also gotta still have homecoming.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm mabett. bench him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You’re just clowning us now aren’t you?
Homer

Post by Homer »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm Taunting the band at 1:48 in the 2nd was never a smart move. Never seen a Hopkins opponent make such a classless gesture. Stuff like that builds up and partly led to the COMEBACK. Nor will it be forgotten next time Mt. visits Homewood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3wLly3Hm4
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Homer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm Taunting the band at 1:48 in the 2nd was never a smart move. Never seen a Hopkins opponent make such a classless gesture. Stuff like that builds up and partly led to the COMEBACK. Nor will it be forgotten next time Mt. visits Homewood.
Great. We have a new Rivalry.

Let’s make the Big Effing Crab between Hopkins and The Mount.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 pm One of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen from the Mount coach.
seriously? supposedly hopkins' 3rd string guys are better than mount's top guys.
they go to the wire, were obviously prepared, and that's what you have?

you should apply, let me know what you hear back.
They tried to see out a 3 goal lead without playing offense with 9 minutes left. They threw away a 1:00 minute man up without even trying to score. They didn't even play conservative properly by not having a player in the hole on a faceoff. The fourth quarter was a disaster and undid anything good that came before it.

The guy is clearly a decent coach because that is a decent team, but jesus where do you come up with the idea that you can do that and get away with it? The more correct time to stall on a 3 goal lead is with 2 minutes left not 9. And fwiw Quint (and I) were second guessing that in real time so it isn't like some next day second guessing thing. It was always dumb.
sounds like you want them to be conservative when you think they should, and not when you think they shouldn't?
should they try to win faceoffs or not?
quint says a million things during a game, many of them turn out to be ill advised.
so your beef is with the offensive coordinator, no?
what is your strategy when you throw the ball to an opposing attackman on the clear and drop the ball on offense in ot out of a timeout?
let me know what you hear from the a.d.
I want them to try and play offense when they have the ball.

My point was IF they want to play conservative, they should at least do it properly instead of giving up a silly fast break goal on something as simple as not putting a long pole in the hole when you're ahead late. That's day one stuff.

The OC isn't the one telling the team not to actually try and score. And if he is the coach is ok with it if he doesn't change it after the second possession it happens. So beef with the head coach.

My strategy for those things is making them matter less by continuing to score goals in a game where you had 11 through 49 minutes. If it is 13 or 14 to 11 that stupid turnover by the goalie means less.

The Mount St. Mary's coach didn't throw the game away really wasn't a take I expected to find immediately after the team lost a 4 goal lead with 5 minutes left by indisputably going super conservative. But life is full of surprises.
maybe you should rewatch the 4th quarter with the sound off.
they scored on that manup you thought they threw away. they attacked the cage on every possession. you could argue there was one where they didn't, to me it looked more like no one could by their guy.
no one told them to not try to score. you are wrong.
they pressured on the ride when they could.
again, you're a real monday morning qb on a faceoff pop, too when wings are trying to win the ball. which makes sense for a team attempting to win the game.
Last edited by wgdsr on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hey, Hopkins just put out two messages from Ron Daniels and Susan DeMuth.

First, SEASONS ARE STILL ON. For now.

There are two ambiguous statements in there:

“All university-sponsored or organized undergraduate student events are suspended.

All university-sponsored or organized undergraduate student travel (including travel sponsored or organized by student organizations, regardless of funding source) is suspended.”

I checked, and all Athletic Events are currently still ON.

That includes away games.

This could obviously change. Stay tuned.
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm A million lucky breaks—Joey's second goal, the Mount goalie passing it directly to Cole, Mount player in OT just inexplicably dropping the ball. But at least we capitalized on them. That is certainly better than the alternative.

Nice effort from Prouty, Williams, and Colwell.

Murphy is something else. He's the best player on the team right now. Not saying very much, I know. But still. The freshman is promising. Not much else is at the moment.

1/5
You scoring that as a loss? 2-4?
In many ways yes, scoring it as a loss. Calvert Hall in their dismantling of IMG earlier looked like they could take this team. There was doubt on every clear and horrible passing/decision making throughout - seems that would fall to the coaching. Despite the win (which was better than the alternative) I think tonight was a statement game on where Petro is with this program.

They escaped tonight, but mark my words, they won't be so lucky over the next 4.
viper

Post by viper »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm Let me get this right. Both games at MSM. Separated by basically a week. JHU wins by 1 in OT. VMI loses by 1 with 17 seconds left.

VMI

Do you know the talent difference between what VMI gets and JHU? The difference in facilities? The difference in assistant coaches? Transfers? (VMI will NEVER get a transfer)

Your program has lost all respect as a major lacrosse program.

Welcome to irrelevant.
Been here for quite a while. What's taken you so long to welcome us?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This is a fairly big indictment on Petro IMO - 21 turnovers - Hopkins had more turnovers than points- 2.5 more minutes in penalties - Prouty had 14 ground balls - the MSM face-off man had 6 - that means MSM won the non face off man GBs 27-19. All signs of a team not ready to play. I can understand some dejection on their part - getting pole axed 3 consecutive weeks but this was a character test and despite the comeback they probably still failed in some ways.

Only silver lining is that despite contributing 30% of the turnovers - the two freshmen on offense can play. A healthy Epstein, a continuing trajectory of Degnon and keeping the fall 2020 class together and some coach could be cooking with gas.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 pm

as "the band" taunts opponents on every goal.... that's all class.

good stuff on this thread.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:19 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 pm

as "the band" taunts opponents on every goal.... that's all class.

good stuff on this thread.
On the road also.....
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

actually good for that kid. I bet he and a lot of his teammates wanted to go to Hopkins or a school like that and never got recruited or got a look and this was their opportunity to settle some scores. I was prouder of the way msm competed than our guys aside from murphy and prouty tonight. Maybe next year instead of dropping all this ridiculous country club swag on these kids like they're michael larry magic and ewing at barcelona and treating them like returning 3x aa with finals 4s on their resumes, they should treat them like what they are- kids who haven't accomplished anything yet in the d1 game where it counts-in late may. Make them earn the privilege of the clc. Make them use the old lacrosse lockerrooms and regular varsity weightroooms. every team we play there's kids on those teams, theres kids watching that game that play for someone else or dont play that wanted to play for us who would give their left nut to get trashed on a message board or just have a nameplate in that lockerroom. then you see williams one handing gbs, connor won't run at the net. Reinson can't find a gb off a faceoff, glassmeyer misses an assignment, forry won't go inside and take punishment, zinn plays pepper with the goalie, mcmanus thinks he's special enough to draw penalties for after the play hits.

administration was probably wondering when/if to shut down campus and what to do about sais bologna, among other matters.
up just learned in-person classes are cancelled at Homewood through April 12.

some of the 5500 deans/education beuracrats, lobbyists, communications officers the university employs which waste so much $ that should end up in a lab or some poor grad students rent payment probably feel like they finally earned their paychecks tonight.

bench mabett, and forry, and zinn, and hubler and reinson.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I did not mind the MSM player "taunting" the band, or whatever you want to call, one bit. It was all in good fun. That said, I had a strong feeling in that exact moment, despite how bad we were playing, that it would come back to haunt that kid. You don't mess with the band and get away with it.
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm Let me get this right. Both games at MSM. Separated by basically a week. JHU wins by 1 in OT. VMI loses by 1 with 17 seconds left.

VMI

Do you know the talent difference between what VMI gets and JHU? The difference in facilities? The difference in assistant coaches? Transfers? (VMI will NEVER get a transfer)

Your program has lost all respect as a major lacrosse program.

Welcome to irrelevant.
This seems like a bit much. No one is going to argue with you that the team has been embarrassing for most of this season. But if you start playing the "X team barely beat Y team, who barely beat Z team" game then that is a real slippery slope. Duke lost to Air Force, who lost to Cleveland State. Yale lost to UMass, who lost to Harvard. That same UMass team also got absolutely clobbered by an Army team that then lost 17-9 to MARIST. Lacrosse can be weird, and the talent differential a lot of the time is not as vast as you might think. Plus, midweek games are especially difficult to predict.

Also, no clue what you're talking about regarding transfers. Hopkins only has one transfer on the roster and he doesn't play.
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:35 pm theres kids watching that game that play for someone else or dont play that wanted to play for us who would give their left nut to get trashed on a message board
Very interesting way to justify your own gross anonymous behavior!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'06 you are joining Sag A and Doc in the looney bin line - Mabbett didn't even play

BTW - I know alot of players who played against Hopkins in the JHU Heyday so they got to hear "To Win To Win" ALOT. While to a man they said they HATED that song they never thought it was poor class - it was simply a tradition celebrating a goal. UVA plays a song after every goal.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:57 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 pm One of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen from the Mount coach.
seriously? supposedly hopkins' 3rd string guys are better than mount's top guys.
they go to the wire, were obviously prepared, and that's what you have?

you should apply, let me know what you hear back.
They tried to see out a 3 goal lead without playing offense with 9 minutes left. They threw away a 1:00 minute man up without even trying to score. They didn't even play conservative properly by not having a player in the hole on a faceoff. The fourth quarter was a disaster and undid anything good that came before it.

The guy is clearly a decent coach because that is a decent team, but jesus where do you come up with the idea that you can do that and get away with it? The more correct time to stall on a 3 goal lead is with 2 minutes left not 9. And fwiw Quint (and I) were second guessing that in real time so it isn't like some next day second guessing thing. It was always dumb.
sounds like you want them to be conservative when you think they should, and not when you think they shouldn't?
should they try to win faceoffs or not?
quint says a million things during a game, many of them turn out to be ill advised.
so your beef is with the offensive coordinator, no?
what is your strategy when you throw the ball to an opposing attackman on the clear and drop the ball on offense in ot out of a timeout?
let me know what you hear from the a.d.
I want them to try and play offense when they have the ball.

My point was IF they want to play conservative, they should at least do it properly instead of giving up a silly fast break goal on something as simple as not putting a long pole in the hole when you're ahead late. That's day one stuff.

The OC isn't the one telling the team not to actually try and score. And if he is the coach is ok with it if he doesn't change it after the second possession it happens. So beef with the head coach.

My strategy for those things is making them matter less by continuing to score goals in a game where you had 11 through 49 minutes. If it is 13 or 14 to 11 that stupid turnover by the goalie means less.

The Mount St. Mary's coach didn't throw the game away really wasn't a take I expected to find immediately after the team lost a 4 goal lead with 5 minutes left by indisputably going super conservative. But life is full of surprises.
maybe you should rewatch the 4th quarter with the sound off.
they scored on that manup you thought they threw away. they attacked the cage on every possession. you could argue there was one where they didn't, to me it looked more like no one could by their guy.
no one told them to not try to score. you are wrong.
they pressured on the ride when they could.
again, you're a real monday morning qb on a faceoff pop, too when wings are trying to win the ball. which makes sense for a team attempting to win the game.
They had two shot clock violations in the fourth quarter where they didn't shoot until under ten seconds. But after going back into the box score I now see that they did that twice before that too. I find that incredibly odd, but I guess they didn't change things as much as I thought originally.

Faceoff thing still stands. Late game you cannot give up a fast break like that. You can still be in play for the ground ball while also shutting off the forward escape that causes the break.

There was a possession in that fourth where they legitmately passed around for the perimeter for the full 80 seconds without shooting and I really struggle to see that being something they'd do in the middle of the game, but maybe the Mount is just built different.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

quote=jhu06 post_id=121020 time=1583894128 user_id=355]
theres kids watching that game that play for someone else or dont play that wanted to play for us who would give their left nut to get trashed on a message board
[/quote]

Very interesting way to justify your own gross anonymous behavior!
[/quote]

I loved that post. I think if it was up to most alumni they'd lock the clc and kick the entire program to the old athletic facility until they prove worthy of the clc and running out of an atrium with the dozens of championship trophies. They almost lost to a sub 500 nec program at home today. What makes you proud of that non murphy/prouty effort?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 pm '06 you are joining Sag A and Doc in the looney bin line - Mabbett didn't even play

BTW - I know alot of players who played against Hopkins in the JHU Heyday so they got to hear "To Win To Win" ALOT. While to a man they said they HATED that song they never thought it was poor class - it was simply a tradition celebrating a goal. UVA plays a song after every goal.
the mabett thing was a joke.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 pm '06 you are joining Sag A and Doc in the looney bin line - Mabbett didn't even play

playing a song is maybe different than playing "count... we want more", up 9 with 3 min to go, no?

1) my post was of course in reaction to the previous one.. and perspective on taunting and class.
2) took 2 of 3 @ homewood in the day. love that place. and just may have had something to say to the band...
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hopkins won. Commend MSM on the hard-fought game. Spirited comeback by the Blue Jays.

On to Navy!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Observed that Epstein moved the best that he has all season. Joey at 70% is still productive. I would prefer that he played on top or the right wing, Wished that he took that first shot in OT instead of Baskin. Shot lacked velocity. Joey and Degnon are the Jays’ best outside shooters. I would play Epstein on first midfield with Angelus and Murphy at attack. Cole and A&M combined for 13 points. When your freshmen are contributing 8 points, that is a solid foundation for the offense.

After an 0-7 shooting night, Zinn’s shot percentage is down to .143. His SOG is .571 which is exactly what it was in 2019. He is taking more shots, but continues to telegraph his trajectory, almost never faking the GK. One game he shoots mostly high, next game he mostly goes low. Easy saves.

Team will have a greater to bond with all non athletes off campus until April 12.

Mabbett has become a meme for ‘06 who loves to troll this forum.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”