Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by steel_hop »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:25 pm
Mightyjoe wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:17 pm Jays needed a confidence boost in the worst way and Cole/Murphy delivered.
Was Deso playing to tonight?
I don’t get what happened to him. Was watching his highlight video from high school and he had quickness and a swagger that is totally missing now. Aliens stole him and replaced with a broken clone?
Through 6 games. He had 4 goals and 3 assists. Over the last 4 games he has 1 assist. But, you have accountability in the program, right? His freshman year looks like the outlier and he is what is is. Maybe a 1 point a game guy. Maybe. You cant have a starting middie give you a point a game and expect to be any good.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 pm One of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen from the Mount coach.

Petro survives for now.
Burning that extra man opportinity with 6 to go was a disastrous decision.

Not so sure about Petro. If this game doesn't convince adminstration that the program needs an overhaul, not sure what will. Wasn't just that we needed OT to beat MSM, the effort and quality of play the first 3.5 quarters was worse than anything I can ever remember seeing at Homewood.
Do you really think the administration looks at the quality of the game. I bet they weren't watching.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

administration was probably wondering when/if to shut down campus and what to do about sais bologna, among other matters.
up
prouty, I don't care how this season or the rest of his career goes. He showed up tonight when the rest of the team mostly did not.
cole last 4 minutes. He sucked for 56 minutes and hadn't produced since princeton, but he was there late.
degnon, who knows if he's even playing if keogh/concanon aren't hurt but he's answered.
murphy/angelus, a lot of turnover but a lot of production. they've earned their spots.
msm-they were the better team than we were for 56 minutes, that level of play and effort could carry them deep into may.
meh
some of you love to rip petro for his sideline demeanor, he's stayed loyal-too loyal to so many of these kids over the years. They'll see cole's late production and say this is why we continue to believe in some of them.
hawley, he shows up on gbs. better than hubler gave us at the x.
ppl wonder why Hopkins is on tv. games like that. It's always historic at homewood.
we'll see other rivals taunt the band, that was great from the msm kids.
zinn maybe it's time to move him to ssdm.
down
cole first 56 minutes. Nothing.
my guess is the number of il 100 recruits on the sidelines was 24-0 or 24-1 and that wasn't reflected in the score. These kids aren't playing hard enough or executing well enough. No one ends up in uniform on a hopkins lacrosse sideline by accident or on the field and a lot of them aren't proving it.
first midfield. 0 goals from their 3 sticks. 1 from epsteins helmet. time to give others more time.
sr leadership. colwell and forry aren't leading w/their play. the team isn't showing up.
reinson/jaronski, hard to remember last time they grabbed a gb off a faceoff.
mabett. bench him.
turnovers
clearing
mental makeup, prouty, a loss of composure at the end by msm saved them from the ignominy of an nec defeat.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:15 pm One of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen from the Mount coach.
seriously? supposedly hopkins' 3rd string guys are better than mount's top guys.
they go to the wire, were obviously prepared, and that's what you have?

you should apply, let me know what you hear back.
They tried to see out a 3 goal lead without playing offense with 9 minutes left. They threw away a 1:00 minute man up without even trying to score. They didn't even play conservative properly by not having a player in the hole on a faceoff. The fourth quarter was a disaster and undid anything good that came before it.

The guy is clearly a decent coach because that is a decent team, but jesus where do you come up with the idea that you can do that and get away with it? The more correct time to stall on a 3 goal lead is with 2 minutes left not 9. And fwiw Quint (and I) were second guessing that in real time so it isn't like some next day second guessing thing. It was always dumb.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 pm A few current rankings prior to this MSM matchup:

Massey: 26th

Laf’s LaxBytes Power Ranking: 42nd

Krach: 55th

Polls, which I don’t care one whit about: NR, and AFAIK no “receiving votes” in any of them.
laf has already updated his LaxBytes Power Rankings.

Hopkins drops from 42nd to 46th.

They will be straight up underdogs to both Navy and Delaware without the HFA for those two hosting teams.

Only projected win left is Michigan.

Heartbreaking loss for Mount. Definitely outplayed Hopkins.

BTW, there was plenty of info to suggest putting Giacalone in during the third quarter. Never happened. Darby finished with a .429 save percentage.

But, here’s something that bugs me: in the end, the goalie’s stats suffer, but this defense is just way too porous.

The future does not bode well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm A million lucky breaks—Joey's second goal, the Mount goalie passing it directly to Cole, Mount player in OT just inexplicably dropping the ball. But at least we capitalized on them. That is certainly better than the alternative.

Nice effort from Prouty, Williams, and Colwell.

Murphy is something else. He's the best player on the team right now. Not saying very much, I know. But still. The freshman is promising. Not much else is at the moment.

1/5
You scoring that as a loss? 2-4?
Meant 1 win down out of the next 5, but, yeah, might as well count that as a loss. :D

First midfield needs a facelift. Have to see Degnon and Angelus out there most of the time.

Is DiPietro hurt or was he just benched? Handsor got some run tonight.
Homer

Post by Homer »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm first midfield. 0 goals from their 3 sticks. 1 from epsteins helmet. time to give others more time.
Uh, Mabbett?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm
seriously? supposedly hopkins' 3rd string guys are better than mount's top guys.

They tried to see out a 3 goal lead without playing offense with 9 minutes left. They threw away a 1:00 minute man up without even trying to score. They didn't even play conservative properly by not having a player in the hole on a faceoff. The fourth quarter was a disaster and undid anything good that came before it.

The guy is clearly a decent coach because that is a decent team, but jesus where do you come up with the idea that you can do that and get away with it? The more correct time to stall on a 3 goal lead is with 2 minutes left not 9. And fwiw Quint (and I) were second guessing that in real time so it isn't like some next day second guessing thing. It was always dumb.
sounds like you want them to be conservative when you think they should, and not when you think they shouldn't?
should they try to win faceoffs or not?
quint says a million things during a game, many of them turn out to be ill advised.
so your beef is with the offensive coordinator, no?
what is your strategy when you throw the ball to an opposing attackman on the clear and drop the ball on offense in ot out of a timeout?
let me know what you hear from the a.d.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm

sounds like you want them to be conservative when you think they should, and not when you think they shouldn't?
should they try to win faceoffs or not?
quint says a million things during a game, many of them turn out to be ill advised.
so your beef is with the offensive coordinator, no?
what is your strategy when you throw the ball to an opposing attackman on the clear and drop the ball on offense in ot out of a timeout?
let me know what you hear from the a.d.
I want them to try and play offense when they have the ball.

My point was IF they want to play conservative, they should at least do it properly instead of giving up a silly fast break goal on something as simple as not putting a long pole in the hole when you're ahead late. That's day one stuff.

The OC isn't the one telling the team not to actually try and score. And if he is the coach is ok with it if he doesn't change it after the second possession it happens. So beef with the head coach.

My strategy for those things is making them matter less by continuing to score goals in a game where you had 11 through 49 minutes. If it is 13 or 14 to 11 that stupid turnover by the goalie means less.

The Mount St. Mary's coach didn't throw the game away really wasn't a take I expected to find immediately after the team lost a 4 goal lead with 5 minutes left by indisputably going super conservative. But life is full of surprises.
Homer

Post by Homer »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm administration was probably wondering when/if to shut down campus and what to do about sais bologna, among other matters.
up
Just learned in-person classes are cancelled at Homewood through April 12.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:32 pm administration was probably wondering when/if to shut down campus and what to do about sais bologna, among other matters.
up
prouty, I don't care how this season or the rest of his career goes. He showed up tonight when the rest of the team mostly did not.
cole last 4 minutes. He sucked for 56 minutes and hadn't produced since princeton, but he was there late.
degnon, who knows if he's even playing if keogh/concanon aren't hurt but he's answered.
murphy/angelus, a lot of turnover but a lot of production. they've earned their spots.
msm-they were the better team than we were for 56 minutes, that level of play and effort could carry them deep into may.
meh
some of you love to rip petro for his sideline demeanor, he's stayed loyal-too loyal to so many of these kids over the years. They'll see cole's late production and say this is why we continue to believe in some of them.
ppl wonder why Hopkins is on tv. games like that. It's always historic at homewood.
down
my guess is the number of il 100 recruits on the sidelines was 24-0 or 24-1 and that wasn't reflected in the score. These kids aren't playing hard enough or executing well enough. No one ends up in uniform on a hopkins lacrosse sideline by accident or on the field and a lot of them aren't proving it.
first midfield. 0 goals from their 3 sticks. 1 from epsteins helmet. time to give others more time.
sr leadership. colwell and forry aren't leading w/their play. the team isn't showing up.
mabett. bench him.
turnovers
clearing
mental makeup, prouty, a loss of composure at the end by msm saved them from the ignominy of an nec defeat.
"mabett.bench him" He hasn't been on the field in 3 games.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

up
meh
down
mabett. bench him.
turnovers
clearing
"mabett.bench him" ? He hasn't been on the field in 3 games. What game are you watching.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Mightyjoe wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:31 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Petro survives for now.
Burning that extra man opportinity with 6 to go was a disastrous decision.

Not so sure about Petro. If this game doesn't convince adminstration that the program needs an overhaul, not sure what will. Wasn't just that we needed OT to beat MSM, the effort and quality of play the first 3.5 quarters was worse than anything I can ever remember seeing at Homewood.
Do you really think the administration looks at the quality of the game. I bet they weren't watching.
So you don't think that the stream of complaints from alumni/ donors they were getting before isn't going to turn into a tsunami?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Oh no, not a tsunami. We are having enough disasters. We don’t need one of those damn things.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I need some memes. Something cheerful.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Let me get this right. Both games at MSM. Separated by basically a week. JHU wins by 1 in OT. VMI loses by 1 with 17 seconds left.

VMI

Do you know the talent difference between what VMI gets and JHU? The difference in facilities? The difference in assistant coaches? Transfers? (VMI will NEVER get a transfer)

Your program has lost all respect as a major lacrosse program.

Welcome to irrelevant.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Mount St Mary’s stats BEFORE tonight’s game:

Goals scored: 58
Goals allowed: 80

Goals scored average: 8.3
Season high goals scored: 11
Tonight: 12, and they tried to sit on that for about 9 minutes.

Meanwhile, Hopkins goals allowed:

Way too high GAA.

Massey prediction was 13-8 Hopkins. They got the 13 right, requiring extra time.

But the 8 was way too low, to an offense that was not very high in the NCAA rankings.

FUGLY!
Last edited by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus on Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm Let me get this right. Both games at MSM. Separated by basically a week. JHU wins by 1 in OT. VMI loses by 1 with 17 seconds left.

VMI

Do you know the talent difference between what VMI gets and JHU? The difference in facilities? The difference in assistant coaches? Transfers? (VMI will NEVER get a transfer)

Your program has lost all respect as a major lacrosse program.

Welcome to irrelevant.
:o
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Here’s the meme I had picked out if Mount had won:

SeminarySurprisesSuckyHopkins
SeminarySurprisesSuckyHopkins
EC47FB72-FEB9-4C8C-912A-41C784808CC2.jpeg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Taunting the band at 1:48 in the 2nd was never a smart move. Never seen a Hopkins opponent make such a classless gesture. Stuff like that builds up and partly led to the COMEBACK. Nor will it be forgotten next time Mt. visits Homewood.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”