UNC vs. N'western - 03/09/2020

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: UNC vs. N'western - 03/09/2020

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 am I was a little surprised, especially in the second half of the first half, that UNC kept allowing Scane to dodge to the middle of the field. Am I right that UNC never went into a zone, stayed in Man the whole game?

Levy said just before the second half started that they just needed the ball; she was essentially right. I was impressed that she just kept playing the freshmen, just stayed in their game, and gutted out a good road win.

I think a better disciplined team might have beaten UNC, but the boatload of super-talent in Chapel Hill is kind of off the charts.

Speaking of off the charts, the cross-checking....
yeah the cross-checking was pretty inense. I like that the refs let them play but the cross-checks to the back need to be better enforced. I think it was Ortega that took one to the back that gave her a pretty good whiplash and she was definitely stunned a bit...if that isn't a yellow card, I don't know what is. They did call a foul and NC got the ball on the ensuing draw, but if they called a YC on that play I think it sends a pretty good message to clean it up.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:51 am NU showed a lack of discipline yet again. They could have and should have won this game. Yes they got screwed on the no call when Liza Elder got mugged and her stick pulled down with two mins to play in a one goal game that should have resulted in an FP, but that ridiculous yellow at the end of the game cost them again. If they can keep their composure in a big game, NU can win it all. I know D gave up 20 goals but it actually played a little better.
And lack of discipline is why they lost. There were many fouls that should have been called against them and weren’t including a few more yellows. Also their best (or second best) player was face guarded the entire game. No Face Guard and maybe a dif game. Also their top defender played Ill ( no not corona virus) lol so give NU credit they got that far. Also KAH refuses to acknowledge Levy after game. Nothing. Real class, just like that last totally unnecessary yellow.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:44 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:34 am I was a little surprised, especially in the second half of the first half, that UNC kept allowing Scane to dodge to the middle of the field. Am I right that UNC never went into a zone, stayed in Man the whole game?

Levy said just before the second half started that they just needed the ball; she was essentially right. I was impressed that she just kept playing the freshmen, just stayed in their game, and gutted out a good road win.

I think a better disciplined team might have beaten UNC, but the boatload of super-talent in Chapel Hill is kind of off the charts.

yeah the cross-checking was pretty inense. I like that the refs let them play but the cross-checks to the back need to be better enforced. I think it was Ortega that took one to the back that gave her a pretty good whiplash and she was definitely stunned a bit...if that isn't a yellow card, I don't know what is. They did call a foul and NC got the ball on the ensuing draw, but if they called a YC on that play I think it sends a pretty good message to clean it up.
On the vicious cross check high on Ortega's back, I won't go back and check, but I thought they did give the card to NU and the ball to UNC. Am I wrong?

How about the "oh, here, have a cross-check" from Scane on the UNC keeper way after the whistle? Not cool.

How about the Copeland yellow on Growney's FPS for the 20th goal? Quiet conversation with that player about begin two goals down with 2:25 to go and a draw vs. two goals down with 2:25 to go and the ball in UNC sticks? It's a thinking women's game.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:50 am

On the vicious cross check high on Ortega's back, I won't go back and check, but I thought they did give the card to NU and the ball to UNC. Am I wrong?

How about the "oh, here, have a cross-check" from Scane on the UNC keeper way after the whistle? Not cool.

How about the Copeland yellow on Growney's FPS for the 20th goal? Quiet conversation with that player about begin two goals down with 2:25 to go and a draw vs. two goals down with 2:25 to go and the ball in UNC sticks? It's a thinking women's game.
I'm almost positive they did not issue yellow card on the Ortega foul, they counted the goal and gave them the ball for the draw. I forgot about the cross check from Scane, that was right in front of the refs, arms fully extended...goalies are almost always protected when out of the goal, crazy that wasn't a card.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:28 pm

I'm almost positive they did not issue yellow card on the Ortega foul, they counted the goal and gave them the ball for the draw. I forgot about the cross check from Scane, that was right in front of the refs, arms fully extended...goalies are almost always protected when out of the goal, crazy that wasn't a card.
Wasn't there some bulletin from NCAA about how refs were going to look hard at cross checking this year so that they could deter it?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I'll take your word for that, 8MPA. And so, just leave it that I cannot believe no yellow on that one. Poor kid just got whip-lashed.

Having said all this, it was a very good and very thrilling game. And always a pleasure listening to SSB explain her view of things.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:40 pm

I'll take your word for that, 8MPA. And so, just leave it that I cannot believe no yellow on that one. Poor kid just got whip-lashed.

Having said all this, it was a very good and very thrilling game. And always a pleasure listening to SSB explain her view of things.
8MPA is correct no Yellow on the Ortega hit. They got possession after the goal.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lax247 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Wasn't there some bulletin from NCAA about how refs were going to look hard at cross checking this year so that they could deter it?
They must have lost that bulletin. IMO, this will not change and only get worse until the Coaches want it to change. I just do not see any indication that they are interested in it.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Looked like they switched in and out of a backer zone for a while in the second half. They probably only did four or five sets in it and most of the possessions weren't long enough for it to be obvious. I wasn't at all impressed by it and it wasn't very successful. I get trying to throw something new at an attack like that but it was poorly executed.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Looked like they switched in and out of a backer zone for a while in the second half. They probably only did four or five sets in it and most of the possessions weren't long enough for it to be obvious. I wasn't at all impressed by it and it wasn't very successful. I get trying to throw something new at an attack like that but it was poorly executed.
Thanks. I just think tossing a zone in is a good idea when one player seems to repeatedly come off a pick or switch in man to man and get to the center of the 8 and score.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Can anyone shed light on why KAH seems to be so disliked on this board?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

hsllax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:03 pm Can anyone shed light on why KAH seems to be so disliked on this board?
Only if you shed light on why you think that first? I'm a little confused.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 pm
hsllax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:03 pm Can anyone shed light on why KAH seems to be so disliked on this board?
I've seen several posts over time that indicate that people don't like her. It may not be universal and might stem from just one or two people. I've seen positive things about other coaches but rarely her. I used to think (in LaxPower days) that it was related to their fast rise and dominance over a number of years but that's pretty far in the past now. I am an NU fan and have a lot of respect for the program. Just curious.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

hsllax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm
I've seen several posts over time that indicate that people don't like her. It may not be universal and might stem from just one or two people. I've seen positive things about other coaches but rarely her. I used to think (in LaxPower days) that it was related to their fast rise and dominance over a number of years but that's pretty far in the past now. I am an NU fan and have a lot of respect for the program. Just curious.
Interesting; thanks for the response.

I don't dislike her, either as a person (from the tiny, tiny bit I know) or a coach. Her players seem to like her plenty, and that's plenty enough for me on the personal front.

I think -- like anyone looking at things clearly in my view -- that she is an excellent coach, tactician, and developer of players skills and smarts. Among the very best -- and I mean that, top 3 or 4 in the game. Her teams tend to play the sort of game, however, that I don't much like. The style over the past few years, perhaps as she's adapted to the possession clock, is frenetic and very physical, a physicality that borders on -- and sometimes crosses the border into -- dangerous. You are right, of course, if you are thinking that plenty of coaches and teams play a physical game. They do, and I regret it, because it makes this fleet, elegant game an occasional mugging. The cross check on Ortega and the uncalled cross check on Moreno last night were unpardonable, at least to me. And stupid. And undisciplined. Compare the Loyola-Penn game: bruises aplenty, I am sure. But in the end an elegant beautiful game between two fierce teams.

KAH adapts -- and wins. And I guess that is the job she's in. But I don't have to love the adaptations. I don't much like modernized Shakespeare either.

All my stupid opinion of course, but that's the gig here on this faceless board.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:24 pm
I think -- like anyone looking at things clearly in my view -- that she is an excellent coach, tactician, and developer of players skills and smarts. Among the very best -- and I mean that, top 3 or 4 in the game. Her teams tend to play the sort of game, however, that I don't much like. The style over the past few years, perhaps as she's adapted to the possession clock, is frenetic and very physical, a physicality that borders on -- and sometimes crosses the border into -- dangerous. You are right, of course, if you are thinking that plenty of coaches and teams play a physical game. They do, and I regret it, because it makes this fleet, elegant game an occasional mugging. The cross check on Ortega and the uncalled cross check on Moreno last night were unpardonable, at least to me. And stupid. And undisciplined. Compare the Loyola-Penn game: bruises aplenty, I am sure. But in the end an elegant beautiful game between two fierce teams.

KAH adapts -- and wins. And I guess that is the job she's in. But I don't have to love the adaptations. I don't much like modernized Shakespeare either.

All my stupid opinion of course, but that's the gig here on this faceless board.
Maybe it's in the blood....Tony was quite the fierce, physical hockey player.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Here is my theory on why so many hard cross checks are missed or not called. The Uber aggressive teams, NU, Cuse, VT (put them here because of last weekend), etc cross check so much the refs stop blowing whistles at some point. End of game they seem to be a bit better on vicious checks. You could literally take the direction to officials this year and blow two whistles on most clears, half of which should be yellows. The refs need to have the willingness to stand up to Gait, Sung and KAH and they don’t. Now I am not hating the refs here, just saying it’s easier not to put a stamp on the game than to take on verbally active coaches some times. I have seen players literally after games look like victims of physical abuse with bruises up and down both arms and ribs. I mentioned this in a post earlier this season that one game last year had two sticks literally broken on the same player in a game by two different players cross checks, neither of which were deemed fouls.
njbill

Post by njbill »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:47 pm verbally active coaches
:lol: :lol: Euphemism of the day, maybe the month.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

hsllax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:58 pm
I think I may be among those accused of not liking KAH and that's really not the case. She's a very nice person off the field. As a coach, she's a merciless competitor. As has been noted, she's one of the smartest and most innovative coaches in the game; NU's success in the 2000's really pushed the growth of the game and encouraged out-of-the-box thinking. She deserves a lot of credit for where the game is today. In the recent Final Four drought years, that creativity stalled, and watching the entire attack defer to Lasota, who would gladly take 15 shots in a game to score 3 or 4 goals, was painful, just terrible lacrosse. She definitely has a unique coaching style and fosters a unique culture that isn't for everyone, and even a handful of her players haven't been able to deal with it, but the vast majority of her players seem to love her. As for NU's style of play, I love athletic, physical lacrosse, but I'm not really a fan of teams whose strategy usually includes physically wearing down your opponent over the course of a game by crosschecking, shoving after the whistle, and wildly swinging their sticks. I just don't have much respect for that MO. But I don't particularly dislike KAH.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:47 pm verbally active coaches
:lol: :lol: Euphemism of the day, maybe the month.
Well I did think abusive was a little pejorative.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

UNC went to a backer zone later in the game but to be honest I don't think it had much of an effect. I would have thought Trenchard ( who I consider to be one of ,if not the best defenders in college ) would be the logical choice to slow Scane down. Who knows ,it was a fantastic game to watch! I noticed Taylor Warehime didn't play ,anyone know if she was injured ? UNC'S wealth of talent is unmatched ,such a deep roster , I could see them going undefeated this year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”