School Closings

General Chatter
AreaLax

Re: School Closings

Post by AreaLax »

The University of Maryland system (most public colleges in state) will ask all students to stay off campus for two weeks following the end of spring break.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Chris Jastrzembski formally of College Croose

From Brown:

“For the immediate future, Brown University will have no general spectator seating at its ticketed athletic contests, but will allow each team member three tickets for family members or guests via a pass list. There will be no other tickets available.”
dch92

Post by dch92 »

"Beginning at the end of the academic day on Friday, March 13, and through at least March 30, Syracuse University will transition from residential to online instruction and/or other alternative (non-residential) modalities."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Here comes the avalanche.... :roll:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The Ivy League has cancelled all conference championships including hoops
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The Ivy League has cancelled ALL
conference championships including hoops
CU88

Post by CU88 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:39 pm The Ivy League has cancelled ALL
Not yet, they are still playing lacrosse(IVY) and hockey(ECAC) games; just no spectators allowed in attendance. For now...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

CU88 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:39 pm The Ivy League has cancelled ALL
Not yet, they are still playing lacrosse(IVY) and hockey(ECAC) games; just no spectators allowed in attendance. For now...
Maybe OCanada means all winter sports post-season championships, but not (yet) spring sports regular seasons.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ivy League does not run the ECAC hockey championship, which includes the Ivies. My guess is that Ivy lax tournament will be canceled. Can't hold it at Shuart, as scheduled, with no spectators to pay the bills.

But IMO it's only a matter of time before a D1 lax player tests positive, and then the season is over for everybody.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:44 pm Stop the Madness. This is panic for the sake of panic. Even if you get it and are young, you aren't going to die. It's a variation of the flu
And if you are old?

The reason for these measures is to prevent large numbers of people from getting sick all at once, which would overwhelm the health care system. The US has about 2.8 hospital beds per 1000 people. Since it's a novel virus, no one has immunity, so a large percentage of the population will get it at some point. If they all get it within a compressed timeframe, even a small percentage of people needing hospitalization would overwhelm capacity. So, the strategy is to "flatten the curve" and spread out the cases so we are able to handle those at risk.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

rolldodge wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:27 pm
Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:44 pm Stop the Madness. This is panic for the sake of panic. Even if you get it and are young, you aren't going to die. It's a variation of the flu
And if you are old?

The reason for these measures is to prevent large numbers of people from getting sick all at once, which would overwhelm the health care system. The US has about 2.8 hospital beds per 1000 people. Since it's a novel virus, no one has immunity, so a large percentage of the population will get it at some point. If they all get it within a compressed timeframe, even a small percentage of people needing hospitalization would overwhelm capacity. So, the strategy is to "flatten the curve" and spread out the cases so we are able to handle those at risk.

Hear, hear!!

Though I must say you were nicer than I would have been.
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

check sticks

Post by check sticks »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:27 am Harvard orders students to vacate; all courses online.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/us/harva ... index.html
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Catbird wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:26 pm
cltlax wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:52 pm
And pretty quickly, I wished I could go back to college and postpone adulthood for a little while longer.
I was wondering when someone would say it. They have the whole rest of their lives to be miserable. :lol:
I’d go back for the fun alone.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

From Bucknell:

"Classes are cancelled Monday, March 16, through Wednesday, March 18, 2020, so that faculty and staff can plan for delivering remote educational activities. Classes will resume remotely on Thursday, March 19.

Students are instructed to move out of on-campus housing by 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 17. Students who feel they must remain on campus may complete an online petition form sent to them by Dean Amy Badal.

Division I athletes will be contacted by Athletic Director Jermaine Truax.

Campus will remain open and all staff and faculty should report as normal."
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Yeah. Let’s see how this works for the NCAA cash cow March Madness
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola moves to online, remote classes.
Towson closes for 2 days, to reassess.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:22 pm
And pretty quickly, I wished I could go back to college and postpone adulthood for a little while longer.
I was wondering when someone would say it. They have the whole rest of their lives to be miserable. :lol:

This post appears to have escaped the mods' review.

Oh wait, you are a moderator! :lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:19 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:22 pm

This post appears to have escaped the mods' review.

Oh wait, you are a moderator! :lol:
I actually am not. I was told I would be made one if Trump won... and the rest is history. Thus my Mod Emeritus status.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Is anyone else feeling odd? Not like in the flu sense (I refuse to even cough in public anymore), but how do we even cheer for our teams anymore when we know the season is gonna be canceled.

If one player on one team reports the flu, this season is a goner. Even if that doesn't happen, I don't see this season continuing much longer (good news though: China says they'll have a vaccine within the month...good thing their FDA is slightly looser shall we say with testing errors).

Loyola was highly likely to win the Natty! This whole mess has me at sixes and sevens, boys.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”