Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nrthcrosslax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Mr. F wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:29 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:26 am D1 vs D3 - I would suggest with the recent changes in ADs and the current administration the involvement in decisions like this are MUCH less likely at Hopkins.
I do have confidence that the administration will take this issue seriously. They've done it with other sports already. While I understand hiring at the D1 vs. D3 level is different, take a look at some of the other programs at Hopkins. Field Hockey in 2016-did not make Centennial Conference Tournament. 2017-Gets new coach. 2018-2019- Back to back final four appearances. Women's Volleyball prior to 2019- a few NCAA appearances, but no real break throughs. 2019-Gets new coach, goes undefeated and wins National Title. Throw Men's Soccer, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball into that mix as well. While it hasn't translated into deep tournament runs, those programs are far more relevant on a National Stage than they were even 5 years ago. D1 Lacrosse landscape is way different. But the athletic department wants this team to succeed because that's their job. They will hire who they think is best for the job. And based on their recent track record of success, I trust they will do that.
Add to that a new W Soccer coach with an impressive resume. To me, an indicator that they are serious about W Soccer and it's success.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Mr. F wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:29 pm Women's Volleyball prior to 2019- a few NCAA appearances, but no real break throughs.
Not disagreeing with your post but the Volleyball coach that won the title this year was the head coach at Hopkins back in 2010-2012 - the only other times Hopkins made the NCAAs. He left to coach Mary Washington but came back in 2019. He clearly knows how to coach but he was a known quantity.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I believe that the majority of coaching changes at Hopkins were due to a tightening of the admission requirements for athletes which led to coaches leaving and retiring. I don’t believe it was an athletic department holding coaches accountable for their teams performance.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

If Johns Hopkins cancels a few games because of the virus, the coach will most likely keep his job. That possibility should have the Hopkins faithful very happy. :o
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

notentitled wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:36 pm If Johns Hopkins cancels a few games because of the virus, the coach will most likely keep his job. That possibility should have the Hopkins faithful very happy. :o
How so?
viper

Post by viper »

notentitled wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:36 pm If Johns Hopkins cancels a few games because of the virus, the coach will most likely keep his job. That possibility should have the Hopkins faithful very happy. :o
I knew DP was responsible for this pandemic and not the Dems!!!!!!! :D
Homer

Post by Homer »

Mr. F wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:29 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:26 am D1 vs D3 - I would suggest with the recent changes in ADs and the current administration the involvement in decisions like this are MUCH less likely at Hopkins.
I do have confidence that the administration will take this issue seriously. They've done it with other sports already. While I understand hiring at the D1 vs. D3 level is different, take a look at some of the other programs at Hopkins. Field Hockey in 2016-did not make Centennial Conference Tournament. 2017-Gets new coach. 2018-2019- Back to back final four appearances. Women's Volleyball prior to 2019- a few NCAA appearances, but no real break throughs. 2019-Gets new coach, goes undefeated and wins National Title. Throw Men's Soccer, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball into that mix as well. While it hasn't translated into deep tournament runs, those programs are far more relevant on a National Stage than they were even 5 years ago. D1 Lacrosse landscape is way different. But the athletic department wants this team to succeed because that's their job. They will hire who they think is best for the job. And based on their recent track record of success, I trust they will do that.
+1

I know there's been concern about tightening admission standards and possibly frustration for some coaches in some situations. But collectively the D3 programs are at a much higher level than where they were even just a few years ago. Men's lacrosse is really an outlier in terms of having declined over that period, not an example of any general trend of administrative neglect. (Or if this IS the administration neglecting sports, maybe they should keep it up -- seems to be working out.)

D1 is not D3, but I have a positive impression of these people's overall competence, and no reason to think they wouldn't be up to the task of handling a coaching transition -- now or later -- in mlax. Don't really understand the undertone I sense from some posters that the AD/staff would somehow be unmotivated to get the search right, or in over their heads.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Neither statement in this post makes any sense to me.
GSP

Post by GSP »

With the major decline in the Lacrosse Program over the last decade, along with the reality that every other Hopkins' sport competes at the DIII level, perhaps it might be an appropriate time for the administration to use the opportunity presented by the need for a coaching change to strongly consider moving lacrosse to DIII status as well. It would instantly create an environment where the expectations might become more rational as well as relieving pressure on the admissions department.
primitiveskills

GSP wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:27 pm With the major decline in the Lacrosse Program over the last decade, along with the reality that every other Hopkins' sport competes at the DIII level, perhaps it might be an appropriate time for the administration to use the opportunity presented by the need for a coaching change to strongly consider moving lacrosse to DIII status as well. It would instantly create an environment where the expectations might become more rational as well as relieving pressure on the admissions department.
Name another NCCA school, in any sport, that has taken a sport that made the D1 NCAA tournament 9 of the past 10 years, including a Final Four, and suddenly moved that sport to D3. Thanks.

There's a huge difference between competing for D1 titles and saying "screw it" and moving to D3. These posts are ridiculous.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

A few current rankings prior to this MSM matchup:

Massey: 26th

Laf’s LaxBytes Power Ranking: 42nd

Krach: 55th

Polls, which I don’t care one whit about: NR, and AFAIK no “receiving votes” in any of them.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Massey is predicting a score of 13-8 Hopkins.

LaxBytes predicts a 5 goal differential in favor of Hopkins.
Last edited by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus on Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

GSP wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:27 pm With the major decline in the Lacrosse Program over the last decade, along with the reality that every other Hopkins' sport competes at the DIII level, perhaps it might be an appropriate time for the administration to use the opportunity presented by the need for a coaching change to strongly consider moving lacrosse to DIII status as well. It would instantly create an environment where the expectations might become more rational as well as relieving pressure on the admissions department.
what "pressure" on Admissions? A LAX team is ~45 players, or 10-15 recruits per year. Those numbers don't amount to a rounding error on Admissions's stats for the incoming class.

The President sets policy, and can direct Admissions what level to set for those recruits just like at every other college. Min GPA? Min SAT/ACT? ncaa minimum? Borrow the Ivy League's Academic Index for helmet sports?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

No changes to the starting lineup tonight (other than Darby back in goal).
primitiveskills

Well, at least we've brought our late hit game tonight.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'm just at a complete loss. No words. This is miserable.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

3-0 Mount, and should have been a penalty on the first one.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Just when you think you’re at rock bottom
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

I mean, is anyone shocked? The only question remaining is not whether DP stays, but rather who the replacement is.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Clearing game looks like street ball, just a bunch of guys running around and hoping one gets a step on the defender.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”