The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ardilla secreta

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by ardilla secreta »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm :lol: :lol: And you weren't rooting for Obama to fail, right?

Republicans intentionally stalled all legislation----including spending-----for six years, simply to stick it to Obama.

Not only did that not bother you, you cheered them on. And there are sailors at the bottom of the ocean because of McConnell's craven politics.

The instant Trump gets into power? Out comes the checkbook, and Republicans make government bigger than ever, pumping trillions of dollars through the economy. And then you come along and cheer this big government economy that is entirely borrowed.

I don't get it. I don't get why you're not mad about this massive spending spree.
I find the jobs report to be fairly worthless like the Dow Jones index. Doesn’t tell the whole story. But hey, 45,000 of the 273,000 increase were government jobs. The biggest increase was in health and social assistance, 57,000. I’m betting few were brain surgeons, more like bed pan changers. Next biggest was in food service and drinking places, 53,000. That’s where you get sent home when customers don’t show up. Few awesome benefits in that category. Employment in other major industries, including mining, manufacturing, wholesale trade, retail trade, transportation and warehousing, and information, changed little over the month. Wasn’t that the category that the current administration was supposed become a game changer?

Average hourly earnings of private-sector production and nonsupervisory employees increased by 8 cents to $23.96 with a average workweek of 34.4 hours. That’s $824.22/week before deductions. That’s living large in the growth regions isn’t it?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:48 pm Invest in board games & jigsaw puzzles.
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:32 pm
CU88 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 pm
6ftstick wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:39 pm 273,000 new jobs in February

ALREADY ADDED MORE JOBS in 2020 then were predicted for the year.

December and January job numbers adjusted upward 85,000 jobs.

Gotta fire this basted. Make it stop
So how many more jobs do you predict for the next three quarters?
What're you hoping for-0

Its what the American people will take into consideration—democrats want them hurt—trump wants them doing well.
Wow, so nothing of substance to offer?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

FACT:

“The broader stock indexes … finally succumbed to the unraveling of an unbelievable period of excessive optimism on the part of the investing public and speculators,” said Steve Craig, chief energy analyst at Elliott Wave International, in an email. “It’s easy to blame the global selling panic on fears of a coronavirus pandemic, but it has more to do with the unwinding of excessive investor optimism than anything else.”
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

CU88 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am FACT:

“The broader stock indexes … finally succumbed to the unraveling of an unbelievable period of excessive optimism on the part of the investing public and speculators,” said Steve Craig, chief energy analyst at Elliott Wave International, in an email. “It’s easy to blame the global selling panic on fears of a coronavirus pandemic, but it has more to do with the unwinding of excessive investor optimism than anything else.”
There are some significant and well-deserved fears about the business effect of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The best way to mitigate the public health effects (and prevent deaths as well as keep our health systems functional) might involve some extreme measures of shutting down public events and even businesses/schools to keep people home.

The experience in China where some drastic measure have been taken might be instructional - take a look at the following communication of an American working for a company in Shanghai about what he has experienced:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/am ... m-shanghai

Not that all those measures would work in the US, but the cooperation of the public and the willingness to put in place some potentially extreme measure has probably bought China a better scenario with respect to COVID-19, as well as bought the rest of the world time to prepare (which the US seems to be failing on).
CU88

Post by CU88 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am

There are some significant and well-deserved fears about the business effect of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The best way to mitigate the public health effects (and prevent deaths as well as keep our health systems functional) might involve some extreme measures of shutting down public events and even businesses/schools to keep people home.

The experience in China where some drastic measure have been taken might be instructional - take a look at the following communication of an American working for a company in Shanghai about what he has experienced:

Not that all those measures would work in the US, but the cooperation of the public and the willingness to put in place some potentially extreme measure has probably bought China a better scenario with respect to COVID-19, as well as bought the rest of the world time to prepare (which the US seems to be failing on).
I agree, my contention was that the market has been inflated and a correction was due.

A co-workers religious school has quietly given parents heads up to a pending closing this week. I think that this decision is correct and it should be open and public for all to hear.
Typical Lax Dad

It’s fitting for Trump. Given a head start and fall behind. Just look at how little return he generated on his inheritance and debt capacity afforded him via his father’s guarantee.
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The Dow was at 19,800 when Trump was inaugurated.
Attachments
22EC0C93-195F-4B0D-AB5F-AAE62DA7C8AC.jpeg
22EC0C93-195F-4B0D-AB5F-AAE62DA7C8AC.jpeg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Currently the market has lost more than 50% of its gains under Orange Duce. Dow Jones closer to his inauguration day than the high close of two weeks ago.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

As of 1:15pm:

DOW -6.22%
NASDAQ -5.19%
S&P -5.91%

Also, Oil crashes by most since 1991 as Saudi Arabia launches price war

Also,

May you live in interesting times.

#OrangeMonday
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.inc.com/heather-r-morgan/wh ... -need.html

"Why the Coronavirus Is a Black Swan Event We Might Actually Need
A former international economist who was also one of the first 100 cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) shares some possible benefits from the Wuhan Coronavirus, including policy change and market corrections."
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Down 2000 pts.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am

It’s fitting for Trump. Given a head start and fall behind. Just look at how little return he generated on his inheritance and debt capacity afforded him via his father’s guarantee.
Do you share such insightful market timing advice with your clients & business associates ?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Trinity wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:16 pmDown 2000 pts.
-2013.76 to end at 23,851.02. Loss of 7.79% today, 19.29% since peak if my calculations are correct.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I smell a bear. If I were President the airlines get zero help unless they take out three rows of seats.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:26 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 am

Do you share such insightful market timing advice with your clients & business associates ?
🤡
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am There are some significant and well-deserved fears about the business effect of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
I frankly don't think people are worried enough about the economic effects that are already on the water....

And people forget that things don't go back to "business as usual" when a treat goes away. It takes many months, if not over a year, to "unspook" consumers.

Think: post 9/11. Except this is far worse.

If I own a restaurant in the US right now? I'm fearful I can keep the place open.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:04 pm And people forget that things don't go back to "business as usual" when a treat goes away. It takes many months, if not over a year, to "unspook" consumers.
sometimes, they learn new habits and never "un-spook"...

movie theaters may be dead - forever

I posted a little rant on the Corona thread about universities. If schools move to on-line courses to finish the year out, can they get the genie back in the bottle?

Lot's of other potential ramifications we haven't even begun to think up....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm I posted a little rant on the Corona thread about universities. If schools move to on-line courses to finish the year out, can they get the genie back in the bottle?
Never happen for any good to world class Universities. The human connections are almost more valuable than the degrees themselves, in most cases.
HooDat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm Lot's of other potential ramifications we haven't even begun to think up....
No argument there.

Again, I'm counting the days before consumers who keep restaurants afloat remember that not a single person who handles their food has access to a doctor.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The fuel is there. All that is needed is a match to create a recession more severe than 2007/2008. The earlier recession was basically a failure of the financial system. This one will, if the match arrives, be much broader based. The Fed has little firepower left. Debt has kept the economy afloat. Both issuers and investors in bonds are at high risk. Corporations hoarded cash or bought back stock from the cash available from a tax cut that never provided much of anything it promised but did provide fiscal stimulus to the economy at the cost of driving debt over $23 billion. Many people are worse off now than previously. The trade war has been a failure. Many jobs have been paying service industry jobs that provide limited room if any for savings or health insurance. 44% of Americans are barely earning enough to live. The Fed repeatedly has warned about leveraged borrowing. What’s going on is hitting everyone with a business.

The $8 billion allotted to the coronavirus so far "is an insult," Claudia Sahm, former top economist for the Fed's Board of Governors. "It has to be hundreds of billions of dollars, and it has to be now."

Our response has been pathetic. In Italy the demand for treatment is 200% of available beds. Treatment is pushing aside treatment for other disease. People over 65 are not getting treatment. Italy is not a third world country and had a pretty good healthcare system. In Lombardy a very developed area:

“Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.” Jason Von Schorr in Italy.

He also repoets “ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

Failure to adequately address this will lead to premature deaths not only from the virus but possibly bother causes from diverted resources
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”