Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by Laxxal22 »

Five goals from the second midfield, two from a fogo, and one from a pole. You gotta love all the different ways this team gets to its 18 gpg average.

Question on the shot clock violation that PSU had towards the end of the 4th - where the ball was on the ground and Adler did a single-motion scoop & fling of the ball right before the clock expired and the whistle blew. Did Tambroni have an argument, which he was making, that Adler's scoop should have counted as a change of possession and the ball gone back to PSU as Adler had launched it out of bounds?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:55 pm Dom Doria #19 with the ground ball & pass of the game! Angelo Petrakis the MVP. Great job all the way around. No time to relax. Yale & Penn are next!
What is interesting looking at the replay, is that he was either caught in a scrum, off balance or pushed, and was falling forward when he passed. Amazing play.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:16 am Five goals from the second midfield, two from a fogo, and one from a pole. You gotta love all the different ways this team gets to its 18 gpg average.

Question on the shot clock violation that PSU had towards the end of the 4th - where the ball was on the ground and Adler did a single-motion scoop & fling of the ball right before the clock expired and the whistle blew. Did Tambroni have an argument, which he was making, that Adler's scoop should have counted as a change of possession and the ball gone back to PSU as Adler had launched it out of bounds?
I think so, if the scoop was prior to shot clock expiration.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

RedIvy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:28 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:16 am Five goals from the second midfield, two from a fogo, and one from a pole. You gotta love all the different ways this team gets to its 18 gpg average.

Not sure that would count as a clean possession - where is the line between true control and just missing the scoop. However, it did work out quite well for the Big Red.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:29 am
Ezra White wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:16 pm
Trumansburger wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:21 pm The great thing about the tying goal for both Jeff Teat and Cornell this year is that it highlights that Teat is now dangerous to be left uncovered. The perception in parts of the lacrosse community is that he's "just a feeder". However, leaving him covered by a short stick defender, with no slide, was underestimating him as an individual scoring threat.
That was certainly high drama! Jeff Teat, one-on-one with his defender, side cleared out, all eyes watching, unfolding like slow motion. And then the shot and goal! It was a thing of beauty!
I have no idea why the defender on the far post didn’t slide hard. PSU was doomed with that short stick on Teat.
Because he was covering Long, who was perfectly positioned. Had the defender slid, Teat — who knows a thing or two about passing in tight spaces — would have passed to give Long a point blank shot.
Not the adjacent guy. It seemed like the far defender was covering grass. Take your chances with a long skip pass. You just can’t give Jeff that kind of time with the ball. He will kill you. Get it out of his stick. Let someone else do it.
You're right. I looked at the replay. Long was initially at the far post, but then -- as JT51 danced his way free -- Donville (CU #3, another box lacrosse player) came a yard or two off the top-center of the crease. In the video I saw I couldn't see where Long went, but he went out of the picture, must have cleared out a bit higher up to the right of the goal (?) to allow Donville room to rotate into the space he'd abandoned while still being a threat himself (?). Still, Donville was doing his own dancing and keeping the LSM on him (#23 -- PSU Sr. Tommy Wright) busy. PSU Fr. Sam Sweeny (#32), AKA "the LSM formerly marking Long," should have slid to back up PSU #19, Jr. Brian Townsend, the SSM guarding Teat, and along with the PSU keeper (#34, Sr. Colby Kneese) should have yelled "SLIDE!!!" and hoped someone else would check Long's stick if Teat tried to pass to him.

If you look at Petrakis' GWG, you see a somewhat similar defensive breakdown. Donville is to the goalie's right and, as Petrakis approaches, moves away from the front of the crease to slightly across GLE. Once again, the frosh Sweeny seems confused: "Do I keep marking my man (Donville)?" "Do I slide to pick up the breakaway but possibly block the GK's view?" "Do I let someone else do it?" To his credit, PSU #2 (Sr. TJ Connellan) did try to disrupt Petrakis, but Connelan was too slow to move into Petrakis path and only tapped Petrakis with a mild stick check. Meanwhile, JT51 is standing out of Petrakis' way, ready for a pass should further heroics be necessary, thereby posing PSU #47, So. Bret Funk -- AKA the close D formerly marking Jeff Teat -- with a dilemma similar to Sweeny's: "Should I stay or should I go?"

Two things are sure: (1) there's a reason why coaches favor upperclassmen and (2) defensive lacrosse is good preparation for bad jobs and marriages.
Last edited by Ezra White on Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:40 am

Not sure that would count as a clean possession - where is the line between true control and just missing the scoop. However, it did work out quite well for the Big Red.
Good point, works for me......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ezra White wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:31 am
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:21 pm The great thing about the tying goal for both Jeff Teat and Cornell this year is that it highlights that Teat is now dangerous to be left uncovered. The perception in parts of the lacrosse community is that he's "just a feeder". However, leaving him covered by a short stick defender, with no slide, was underestimating him as an individual scoring threat.
That was certainly high drama! Jeff Teat, one-on-one with his defender, side cleared out, all eyes watching, unfolding like slow motion. And then the shot and goal! It was a thing of beauty!
I have no idea why the defender on the far post didn’t slide hard. PSU was doomed with that short stick on Teat.
Because he was covering Long, who was perfectly positioned. Had the defender slid, Teat — who knows a thing or two about passing in tight spaces — would have passed to give Long a point blank shot.
Not the adjacent guy. It seemed like the far defender was covering grass. Take your chances with a long skip pass. You just can’t give Jeff that kind of time with the ball. He will kill you. Get it out of his stick. Let someone else do it.
You're right. I looked at the replay. Long was initially at the far post, but then -- as JT51 danced his way free -- Donville (CU #3, another box lacrosse player) came a yard or two off the top-center of the crease. In the video I saw I couldn't see where Long went, but he went out of the picture, must have cleared out a bit higher up to the right of the goal (?) to allow Donville room to rotate into the space he'd abandoned while still being a threat himself (?). Still, Donville was doing his own dancing and keeping the LSM on him (#23 -- PSU Sr. Tommy Wright) busy. PSU Fr. Sam Sweeny (#32), AKA "the LSM formerly marking Long," should have slid to back up PSU #19, Jr. Brian Townsend, the SSM guarding Teat, and along with the PSU keeper (#34, Sr. Colby Kneese) should have yelled "SLIDE!!!" and hoped someone else would check Long's stick if Teat tried to pass to him.

If you look at Petrakis' GWG, you see a somewhat similar defensive breakdown. Donville is to the goalie's right and, as Petrakis approaches, moves away from the front of the crease to slightly across GLE. Once again, the frosh Sweeny seems confused: "Do I keep marking my man (Donville)?" "Do I slide to pick up the breakaway but possibly block the GK's view?" "Do I let someone else do it?" To his credit, PSU #2 (Sr. TJ Connellan) did try to disrupt Petrakis, but Connelan was too slow to move into Petrakis path and only tapped Petrakis with a mild stick check. Meanwhile, JT51 is standing out of Petrakis' way, ready for a pass should further heroics be necessary, thereby posing PSU #47, So. Bret Funk -- AKA the close D formerly marking Jeff Teat -- with a dilemma similar to Sweeny's: "Should I stay or should I go?"

Two things are sure: (1) there's a reason why coaches favor upperclassmen and (2) defensive lacrosse is good preparation for bad jobs and marriages.
Yes. He was indecisive. He needed to come hard. Cornell capitalized on it. Good win for the league!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:40 am

he picked it up and flung it over 30-40 yards. that's not missing a scoop. the only question for me is if the shot clock had actually expired. if the buzzer is auto-timed to the clock, then i'd say it should've been change of possession, and back to psu. if not, it's possible that watching the clock a ref had seen it expire prior to adler getting possession.
guys on defense should be trained that if they're aware the shot clock is close to expiring on a loosie, unless they have a clean exit their play is to keep it on the ground.
in any event -- subsequent result was psu regaining possession on a turnover shortly thereafter, but then being unable to clear (which i believe they would've had to have done anyway.. restart after the fling looked like it was some distance in the defensive half).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 am

Yes. He was indecisive. He needed to come hard. Cornell capitalized on it. Good win for the league!
there was a timeout preceding this, so if we're guessing here -- and we are -- mine is that any defensive off ball philosophy was dictated by the d-coordinator in the huddle and not by players' indecision. well known teat will kill slides if not executing properly, and also well known he likely might be getting a pick to get on a shorty (he got 2). my guess, they were up one and a goal doesn't end the game -- play was to be at the ready to slide if needed, but not go heavy unless you read the shorty is in trouble. maybe also in expectation cornell also might run a play to get a cutter to teat, rather than an iso.
the worst case scenario of some offensive guys staying active, and then teat having green space and time (and patience)... while also the shorty doing an admirable job for a while -- in combo with instructions led to what you saw. my best guess. hindsight 20/20, a strategic play with the amount of time remaining is to come out in zone and disrupt cornell's best-laid plans. vs a team that passes as well as cornell, zone to disorganize them for 10 seconds or so and then split into man, where any original plans again are disrupted, no one is where they were supposed to be, etc..

the point d man would've had petrakis on the break, but it's also likely, given that his previous goal occurred similarly, that the play was to slide to him very late from point if at all -- to eliminate any look to the attack, and no other option but to shoot. the bet is that a fogo gets off a 12 yarder that the goalie sees all the way, and hope he doesn't take it/get to 7-10 yards.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 am

there was a timeout preceding this, so if we're guessing here -- and we are -- mine is that any defensive off ball philosophy was dictated by the d-coordinator in the huddle and not by players' indecision. well known teat will kill slides if not executing properly, and also well known he likely might be getting a pick to get on a shorty (he got 2). my guess, they were up one and a goal doesn't end the game -- play was to be at the ready to slide if needed, but not go heavy unless you read the shorty is in trouble. maybe also in expectation cornell also might run a play to get a cutter to teat, rather than an iso.
the worst case scenario of some offensive guys staying active, and then teat having green space and time (and patience)... while also the shorty doing an admirable job for a while -- in combo with instructions led to what you saw. my best guess. hindsight 20/20, a strategic play with the amount of time remaining is to come out in zone and disrupt cornell's best-laid plans. vs a team that passes as well as cornell, zone to disorganize them for 10 seconds or so and then split into man, where any original plans again are disrupted, no one is where they were supposed to be, etc..

the point d man would've had petrakis on the break, but it's also likely, given that his previous goal occurred similarly, that the play was to slide to him very late from point if at all -- to eliminate any look to the attack, and no other option but to shoot. the bet is that a fogo gets off a 12 yarder that the goalie sees all the way, and hope he doesn't take it/get to 7-10 yards.
You can’t let a SSDM cover him for that long. It’s curtains. When he has the ball you have to put relentless pressure on him until he gives it up. That skip was so far. When Teat was headed back down to GLE, that short stick should have pushed in the the back with two hands to get him below and the slide should have come as he was forcing him back. The only guy I have seen make a pass over the top of the cage from that severe angle to a shooter was #22 at Princeton, with his strong hand. If Teat makes the pass with his off hand, I tip my hat and play on. You just can’t cover him for that long with a short stick. The guy did a good job but for that amount of time, not sure if Josh Hawkins would have kept him from scoring.
“I wish you would!”
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Petrakis Named Ivy League Rookie of week!
grelch

Post by grelch »

I'm guessing he's not playing a ton, nevertheless, how is JJ Lombardi doing?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I would say he's doing great. He's a regular on the 2nd midfield, has 8G1A so far.

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... ardi/50372

Click on "stats" for full detail.
Last edited by CU77 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

grelch wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:00 pm I'm guessing he's not playing a ton, nevertheless, how is JJ Lombardi doing?
He is playing very well. Good player.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

RedIvy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:54 pm Petrakis Named Ivy League Rookie of week!
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell (Fr., FO – Massapequa Park, N.Y.)
Petrakis went 18-of-29 from the X against No. 2 Penn State.
He claimed 7-of-10 faceoffs in the opening quarter of play.
The freshman notched a career-high two goals in the win for the first multi-goal game of his collegiate career, putting two shots on goal and scoring on both.
Petrakis second goal was the game-winning goal with eight seconds left to defeat No. 2 Penn State.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

RedIvy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:15 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:12 am
Gobigred wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:28 am In fact, I thought Petrakis competed better on the initial clamp than Raz.
I thought so, too. Many times Petrakis appeared to "win" the face-off but couldn't control the ball after it came free.
that was probably a great learning experience for him. top flite fogo opponent, wings crashing much faster than in h.s.
taking the split second to exit in the area of greenest space or to an open wing will come. takes reps.
Agreed, this was basis of my reasoning that we could get close to 50/50 this Sunday. Petrakis is a competitor and I’m sure he will learn.
You have to love a wrestlers competitiveness......
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

grelch wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:00 pm I'm guessing he's not playing a ton, nevertheless, how is JJ Lombardi doing?
As noted he gets a regular run as part of the 2d line midfield unit that is seeing plenty of action. He'll be an important player the rest of the season and for the next two years.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Thanks for the replies. Good to see he's playing well. He's gone back to playing midfield which is interesting. I'm guessing that's due to his height? He was all American at attack in high school.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

grelch wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:37 pm Thanks for the replies. Good to see he's playing well. He's gone back to playing midfield which is interesting. I'm guessing that's due to his height? He was all American at attack in high school.
I think he’s playing midfield because of 3 great attack men, but coaches still want him on the field.

I would say he is doing great!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I don't want to get too far ahead of things in discussion, but my preliminary view is that Petrakis could be reasonably competitive against TD Ierlan this coming Saturday. If the Big Red put long poles on the wings and hustle for 50/50 ground balls, the face off situation could be neutralized. Also, if we can clear, limit turnovers (only 9 on Sunday), and create CTOs (8 on Sunday), we should be competitive.

On defense, I wonder if Adler is the one to cover Gaudet, or if it's someone taller. I'd argue for Adler, since his footwork can contain Gaudet. The biggest risk for this player as a scoring threat is his ability to capitalise on any defensive misalignment. Versus Michigan, he scored mostly in unsettled situations.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”