School Closings

General Chatter
OCanada

Re: School Closings

Post by OCanada »

Some colleges are considering banning all out of state travel which would include sports teamsX. Three major educational conferences have been cancelled in the last few days.

Meanwhile Italy has quarantined anout 35% of its population and Japan is closing schools. Some school districts in Westchester County NY are reportedly closing.

Some Private industry and educational institutions are basing their decisions on the reporting of the Hopkins website
Last edited by OCanada on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Columbia University and Barnard College in NY closed for next two days.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/c ... d/2317622/

More from the West Coast:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/us/c ... attle.html
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ ... 54884.html

Aljazeera is keeping a running timeline of events. Scary in its escalation.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:02 pm https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/ ... 54884.html

Aljazeera is keeping a running timeline of events. Scary in its escalation.
A journalist from another site took part of that timeline and made the following observations this past Friday:
Jan. 7th. China identified the virus and went public.

Jan. 11. First death.

Jan. 22. 17 deaths, 550 reported infections.

Jan. 23 Wuhan quarantined.

Jan. 24. 26 dead, 830 infected.

Jan. 26. 56 dead, 2,000 infected. New cases were confirmed in the US, Taiwan, Thailand, Japan and South Korea.

Jan. 27 "As of January 27, the death toll in China rose to 106, with 100 in Hubei province, authorities reported. Another 4,515 people in China were reported to be infected. There were 2,714 confirmed cases in Hubei province, up from 1,423 the day before."

>>> The best current count I see is that there have been 3,462 deaths and 101,872 cases worldwide.

The first death in the U.S. was on Feb. 29th. Seven days ago. Where China was on Jan. 11, except that we know that we already have community spread (that is, cases who did not have direct contact with someone who was exposed overseas), and that there are already cases in many widely separated parts of the country.

As of today [Friday, 6 MARCH], we have 14 dead and 225 confirmed cases in the U.S., roughly equivalent to where China was on Jan. 22, except that the cases are not confined mostly to one province.
Anyway, it’s a scary analysis. Basically, we are 4 to 6 weeks behind where China was then, but look at China’s toll today.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Out here in southern California they just announced that the BNP Paribas (Indian Wells) tennis tournament has been canceled due to the state of emergency recently declared for Riverside County. I am now of the mind that many large gathering events will suffer the same fate, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it spill over into collegiate sporting events including lacrosse. Fingers crossed, and I suppose we will just have to wait and see.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

My company's IT All-Hands meeting in Baltimore for next week has been cancelled.

I know this has nothing to do with lacrosse and school closing, BUT I WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO MY TRIP TO BALTIMORE!!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

calourie wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:23 pm Out here in southern California they just announced that the BNP Paribas (Indian Wells) tennis tournament has been canceled due to the state of emergency recently declared for Riverside County. I am now of the mind that many large gathering events will suffer the same fate, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it spill over into collegiate sporting events including lacrosse. Fingers crossed, and I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

This is such an over-reaction, caused mostly by insurance companies refusing to honor policies of umbrella coverage for public events (stoked by our good old media). What are you gonna do?

And yes, ultimately I think all it will take to cancel the fans in the lacrosse stadium is one case somewhere in the near vicinity of a stadium (just like BNP).

And if one lacrosse player or coach tests positive, even in the absence of any symptoms, say good-bye to the season.

The media has become a total clown show.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Stanford announced it has cancelled in-person classes and moved to having only online classes for the next two weeks, which are the last two weeks of their quarter. The women's lacrosse team is still practicing.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Horfstra University has cancelled in person classes for the week and is on spring break next week. A student attended a conference where there was exposure. The student has flu like systems but has not been diagnosed with COVID-19 and the university is saying they are acting with an abundance of caution (which is appreciated)

no word on athletics or lacrosse in particular yet.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:35 pm and Japan is closing schools.
OC,

Just as a matter of course, March is summer break for most of Japanese schools. They did close the schools a week or to early but the closing of schools until April is big but not significant in the sense the schools would have been closed already.

I'm coming of the view that the virus is more prevalent than many think (which also means it is not nearly as deadly as most think) and that any actions we are taking are about delaying the impact in more suspectible communities so when they catch it they don't overwhelm the system.

I base this on the fact that the virus has popped up all over the place without any real connection to China. That means someone that had no symptoms was walking around with it and transmitted to someone else. They likely had a hearty enough immune system that only OTC drugs were used and no doctor visit occurred. Or if a visit occurred, they weren't tested for COVID but given a Z-pack and went about their day.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:09 am
OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:35 pm and Japan is closing schools.
OC,

Just as a matter of course, March is summer break for most of Japanese schools. They did close the schools a week or to early but the closing of schools until April is big but not significant in the sense the schools would have been closed already.

I'm coming of the view that the virus is more prevalent than many think (which also means it is not nearly as deadly as most think) and that any actions we are taking are about delaying the impact in more suspectible communities so when they catch it they don't overwhelm the system.

I base this on the fact that the virus has popped up all over the place without any real connection to China. That means someone that had no symptoms was walking around with it and transmitted to someone else. They likely had a hearty enough immune system that only OTC drugs were used and no doctor visit occurred. Or if a visit occurred, they weren't tested for COVID but given a Z-pack and went about their day.

+1
socalref

Post by socalref »

jersey shore lax wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:30 am Horfstra University has cancelled in person classes for the week and is on spring break next week. A student attended a conference where there was exposure. The student has flu like systems but has not been diagnosed with COVID-19 and the university is saying they are acting with an abundance of caution (which is appreciated)

no word on athletics or lacrosse in particular yet.
St John's comes back from spring break today. In person classes Monday~Wednesday, but on Thursday and Friday they are taking all classes on line and cancelling in person meetings as part of a system test in case they need to do it long term.

As of now, no changes to the home game vs Hofstra on Tuesday or the road trip to Dartmouth on Saturday. At this past Saturdays gave vs Siena, players were told to keep gloves on during the post game handshake/fist bump.

I do find the whole if you feel sick "self isolate" thing funny considering how packed in the dorms are.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Princeton apparently going all virtual for classes beginning 3/23
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I just have a dreadful sense of foreboding here. Hoping I'm wrong, but man, does this feel inevitable. Just one case of player or coach infection, or campus wide, and sayonara season. Maybe even if that doesn't happen.

It all comes down to insurance; if the insurance carrier says 'cancel', schools are left with no choice.

Hope I am wrong.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Trying not to be cynical, but the NC$$ is about to enter one of its most lucrative times of year: March Madness.

I could easily see them try to hold back on cancellations until the basketball Final Four is over on Monday night, 6 APR 2020.

After that, all lesser sports will be much more vulnerable to being shutdown.

But for now, long live the cash cow.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

...while re-posting stats from google is impressive - it hardly concludes, next best course of action.
“PC” reference = The immediate populist panacea to any issue, with little thought to unintended consequences.

School closing(s) is an example of a short term solution, to an inevitable, long term problem...
An earlier poster nailed the likely motivation of “liability risks” -(hence, PC- CYA mentality)

sooner we accept that C -19 is not going away for a while, sooner we will shift our
Focus to more constructive solutions, learn how to manage risks, cope, and remain a productive society.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Cancelling classes and moving to online is one thing, what will really tell the tale is if they start closing dorms and sending kids home. If that happens then spring sports are in serious jeopardy. I think we will know sooner than later, every college in America is having meetings about this today making plans for various scenarios.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quint K says,
make sure to wash your hands :)
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:28 am Quint K says,
make sure to wash your hands :)
And wear condoms while kissing . . .

One . . . I want more!
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 am and sayonara season.
I think Hopkins has already said that.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”