houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:43 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 am
foreverlax wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:10 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:47 am
thatsmell wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:10 am And besides, Hopkins needs to figure out what time the HOUNDS are playing and schedule around us- their new big brother.

:lol:

Though it'd be nice to win today, Hopkins has far more on the line against 'Cuse. There is not a small chance that they get blown out on their home field to the only other team which challenges them for the sport's 'New York Yankee' designation. If Cuse takes out Hop by any score which smells of a blowout, please come back to Fanlax to read the Hopkins thread; it'll be entertaining.

As for us and as I've said, until we prove we can actually beat Duke, we won't. I don't know what the deal is when we play this team, but whatever it is, we stink against them. Every single year. This happens in sport, when one team simply plays better against another team every single year; for the Hounds, that's been Duke. I'm generally a very upbeat Hounds supporter; this is the one game every year which I bum out about, and for good reason. If anyone can explain their mastery of us, please do.

It really hacks me off. Hopefully the boys are irritated by Duke, too. I'd pay anything to be 20 years younger and running on that field.
Your record against them isn't that bad.....last win was in '14 - you have won over a third of the contests.

We won 6 whole years ago; wow. In 2016 when Duke basically was not very good (they were .500) and we were actually very good, they still beat us 15-6.

For 4 of those 6 years, we had the Teewarton Trophy winner plus the game's best goalie. And we lost every single time, by a lot.

And not for nothing, but have you looked at the scores in the last 4 years? I can't recall one game that was even competitive, let alone a win. Every year a blowout, by Duke. Not even close.

Like I said, until we beat them, we won't. I hope the boys have tiger-blood energy today, but more importantly, I hope they have some will.
Sorry to ruin your narrative, but we beat Duke soundly in 2016 and ended their season. This was a team that had superstars like Myles Jones and Deemer Class as seniors.

That was the post season game. How’d the season game go? We lost, 15-6.

I hate losing more than anyone. And I hate talking about moral victories. But from today if anyone is seeking any moral sustenance, the young nature of this team can be evidenced by how we started slowly against both UVA and Duke. Once we get our footing, it’s game on. The problem is the hole we need to fill. In both games the hole was too deep. Charlie needs to figure out how to keep these games tighter.

Bailey was great. Cam was great. McNulty was great. I like how Charlie is getting Teitlebaum time, and this will pay off down the road, but throwing him at Duke is a tall order.

Hopefully we got something out of today. Biggest issue for us now is we likely need to win the PL to get into the tournament. Leaving no room for a bad outing from a young team is a dicey position to be in. Hoping Charlie can elevate these boys. Bucknell and Army look darn good.
i take solace in the fact that a lot of our playmakers are the freshmen and sophomores. Regardless of what happens this season after this loss today, i bank on the fact that this team will be in good hands for the next couple years.

Slow starts doom a lot of teams, but the way how they kept fighting and clawing their way to close the lead today gave me satisfaction.

I believe this team can make a run in the PL. Our last opportunity for a good Quality non-con win is against Georgetown in a couple weeks
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I gotta watch the replay. Gonna ramble and spit ball some things here. Great crowd at Ridley. Duke is a good team. Hounds got way behind early. Came back but not enough. Some posters here will point out every negative thing thing Hounds did wrong. That's fair. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. Uncharacteristic mistakes and shots just didn't fall. That happens. Turnovers...uncharacteristic....

But I like the fight in these Hounds. Not gonna beat up on the boys after a loss. No one was happy with that. But I do think we have enough juice to pull out a lot of wins here on out.

As I posted earlier, I thought the goalie play would be the key to the game....

Yep - a young team. Lot of promise. Losing stinks but Hounds will rebound against Bucknell and can possibly run the PL table IMO.
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

NovaHound wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:05 pm I gotta watch the replay. Gonna ramble and spit ball some things here. Great crowd at Ridley. Duke is a good team. Hounds got way behind early. Came back but not enough. Some posters here will point out every negative thing thing Hounds did wrong. That's fair. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. Uncharacteristic mistakes and shots just didn't fall. That happens. Turnovers...uncharacteristic....

But I like the fight in these Hounds. Not gonna beat up on the boys after a loss. No one was happy with that. But I do think we have enough juice to pull out a lot of wins here on out.

Yep - a young team. Lot of promise. Losing stinks but Hounds will rebound against Bucknell and can possibly run the PL table IMO.
i agree you cannot start out slow against a good team, and we need to have upperclassman leadership, but you cant keep going back to the well and saying this is a young team. They have 6 games of experience. Turnovers are not uncharacteristic of this team, it seems to be the norm.

We have finally played a good team that we could use as a bench mark and we did not do so well. Teams that we have beaten are Rutgers 2-4, Hopkins 1-4, Towson 0-6 and Lafayette 0-6. Combine 3-20 record. The two solid teams that we have played we have lost.

With that said, we need to win the patriot league to have a shot at the playoffs. Bucknell will not be a pushover, with not having played this week, could be well rested and ready to play or rusty. I do know that Coach Toomey will have them ready to play.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

NovaHound wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:05 pm I gotta watch the replay. Gonna ramble and spit ball some things here. Great crowd at Ridley. Duke is a good team. Hounds got way behind early. Came back but not enough. Some posters here will point out every negative thing thing Hounds did wrong. That's fair. Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda. Uncharacteristic mistakes and shots just didn't fall. That happens. Turnovers...uncharacteristic....

They won't run the PL table. That just doesn't happen that often and this team isn't to the level required to do it. They have a real shot to win the thing and with some luck they'll be hosting the PL tournament with a shot at the real dance, but I fully expect a loss or two along the way. Army and Lehigh are the big games so it's good that they're at home.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

They probably need to make a change of who gets to hold the ball and operate. It’s either Swindell or kamish at this point
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I am very very surprised at some of the quotes in this article:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -win/56110
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 pm I am very very surprised at some of the quotes in this article:

Which ones?

If you're referring to Ryan McNulty saying that if 'Loyola had played their game, we'd have won', I agree with him; we have more talent than Duke; it's also more undeveloped.

If you're referring to Charlie's decision to insert Colton in place of Sam, that comment was slightly more interesting/hard to follow. I don't think it was a good move for multiple reasons but it does have one good outcome which is: it gives Colton confidence (even though he was shellacked) in a tight game down the road against a very good opponent.

We would be a very good NCAA tourney team, provided we make it. We kind of needed this win yesterday to somewhat ignore the PL AQ bid. But by not beating Duke, we basically backed ourselves in a way-too-tight corner.

On a positive mote, we don't need to beat Georgetown anymore, since the PL AQ is our only shot. Charlie could use the Gtown game to work on lines and further Colton's development.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:02 am
houndace1 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:20 pm I am very very surprised at some of the quotes in this article:

Which ones?

If you're referring to Ryan McNulty saying that if 'Loyola had played their game, we'd have won', I agree with him; we have more talent than Duke; it's also more undeveloped.

If you're referring to Charlie's decision to insert Colton in place of Sam, that comment was slightly more interesting/hard to follow. I don't think it was a good move for multiple reasons but it does have one good outcome which is: it gives Colton confidence (even though he was shellacked) in a tight game down the road against a very good opponent.

We would be a very good NCAA tourney team, provided we make it. We kind of needed this win yesterday to somewhat ignore the PL AQ bid. But by not beating Duke, we basically backed ourselves in a way-too-tight corner.

On a positive mote, we don't need to beat Georgetown anymore, since the PL AQ is our only shot. Charlie could use the Gtown game to work on lines and further Colton's development.

The most interesting comment to me was the DUke defenseman Giles-Harris saying no one needed to slide to him when Lindley had the ball. That's true, Lindley is not a dodging threat. What Charlie could have done in that first half is spread out the offense even more and see if the more open field would have resulted in better looks.

Anyway, I agree if even one of those first half shots finds net to start the game, the game totally changes; we are on a tightrope with this one team (Duke). Totally bad karma. I will feel much better playing them next year, even away. You heard it here first.

When the bounces don't go your way, they really don't go your way. For this year's Hounds team, it is absolutely critical to not fall too far behind to any quality team. We will rally, always, but we can't get in too deep of a hole. The defense needs to be zoned in to start games against quality opponents. I disagreed with Charlie hooking Sam so early...I don't agree that that was the right call. Sam would have locked in like he did in the 2nd half. If he asked to get a breather, then obviously my sideline analysis is incorrect. Just analyzing from the bleacher seats...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:18 pm

i agree you cannot start out slow against a good team, and we need to have upperclassman leadership, but you cant keep going back to the well and saying this is a young team. They have 6 games of experience. Turnovers are not uncharacteristic of this team, it seems to be the norm.

We have finally played a good team that we could use as a bench mark and we did not do so well. Teams that we have beaten are Rutgers 2-4, Hopkins 1-4, Towson 0-6 and Lafayette 0-6. Combine 3-20 record. The two solid teams that we have played we have lost.

With that said, we need to win the patriot league to have a shot at the playoffs. Bucknell will not be a pushover, with not having played this week, could be well rested and ready to play or rusty. I do know that Coach Toomey will have them ready to play.

I don't think you understand what the term 'young' means when people here discuss it.

It's not that the players have played 6 games this season, it's that our senior class is relatively light versus other classes in terms of numbers and impact. The most impactful senior is McNulty (Middelton and others will be there next year to pick up the slack at LSM). Other seniors are Cox, Devereaux, Swindell, Higgins, Railey, and Johnson. That's not much for this team of 45 players. Relatively speaking, this is indeed a young team.

With Johnson, McNulty, and Railey, our defense needs to be the force for this season, and own the results.

(next year's senior class, this year's juniors, will be loaded, as will our then-juniors and then-sophomores; I'd certainly look at next year as a great opportunity for the Hounds)
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 am

I don't think you understand what the term 'young' means when people here discuss it.

It's not that the players have played 6 games this season, it's that our senior class is relatively light versus other classes in terms of numbers and impact. The most impactful senior is McNulty (Middelton and others will be there next year to pick up the slack at LSM). Other seniors are Cox, Devereaux, Swindell, Higgins, Railey, and Johnson. That's not much for this team of 45 players. Relatively speaking, this is indeed a young team.

With Johnson, McNulty, and Railey, our defense needs to be the force for this season, and own the results.

(next year's senior class, this year's juniors, will be loaded, as will our then-juniors and then-sophomores; I'd certainly look at next year as a great opportunity for the Hounds)
Two different interpretations of young team, yes we have team that is loaded with underclassman, but we have an experienced team. Duke did not have to slide to Lindley and just locked off our middies. I have been saying for some time that our middies need to help the attack. We can "click" and make mistakes on offense when we play Lafayette, but you cannot do that against good teams. We need more Swindell like his shot in the 4th.

The attack tries to create and dodge and they are struggling with that. Our attack is solid, Kamish has come on and is playing extremely well.

It was like offensively we did not know the Duke goalie was a lefty. Poor shot selection all around. Shooting 22% is not going to win many games against competitive teams
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Well, for once it looks like we all agree on one thing: Loyola's only path to the tourney is the PL AQ. UVA's loss to Brown today only further cements that fact. However, I do disagree with the point made earlier about the G'town game. While that game will not factor into our tourney chances, it will be important in terms of seeding. We need to give that game everything we've got. (BTW, I am looking forward to seeing Georgetown's new stadium. This will be the closest game this season to my house.)

Still, I like our chances in PL play. We are 1-0 in the part of the schedule that really matters now.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:10 pm Well, for once it looks like we all agree on one thing: Loyola's only path to the tourney is the PL AQ. UVA's loss to Brown today only further cements that fact. However, I do disagree with the point made earlier about the G'town game. While that game will not factor into our tourney chances, it will be important in terms of seeding. We need to give that game everything we've got. (BTW, I am looking forward to seeing Georgetown's new stadium. This will be the closest game this season to my house.)

Still, I like our chances in PL play. We are 1-0 in the part of the schedule that really matters now.
yeahhhh that UVA loss today (which i kinda did enjoy due to Brown being able to take it to their old head coach) just wrecks our RPI and SOS even more. Add the fact that hopkins, rutgers, towson and lafayette keep losing and that further plummets it.

It really is AQ or bust now with our 4-2 record. Just have to take one game at a time. I believe this team will keep improving. Outscoring Duke in the 2nd half is no easy slouch. They HAVE the talent and the fight to win against Good teams- they just need to have good starts to games, as evidenced as to what Toomey said in this baltimoresun article. Coach Danowski even gave us praise for the 2nd half.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:12 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:43 am

Two different interpretations of young team, yes we have team that is loaded with underclassman, but we have an experienced team. Duke did not have to slide to Lindley and just locked off our middies. I have been saying for some time that our middies need to help the attack. We can "click" and make mistakes on offense when we play Lafayette, but you cannot do that against good teams. We need more Swindell like his shot in the 4th.

The attack tries to create and dodge and they are struggling with that. Our attack is solid, Kamish has come on and is playing extremely well.

It was like offensively we did not know the Duke goalie was a lefty. Poor shot selection all around. Shooting 22% is not going to win many games against competitive teams
Give the ball to this Kid to operate. Him or Swindell. They look so much more comfortable around the cage or up top when initiating. The team has shooters set up in good spots, they just need to can their shots.

Example: Lindley (while a great off ball mover) shoots the same low shot every time. Uppgren stopped so many of his low shots. Riley Cox is a lefty shooter, yet he tries to dodge. Pull up and shoot it man i believe in you. Do what you did for cold spring harbor all those years and just plant/rip/fire off of passes. There's a reason you were invited to Project 9! Wigley, you have a hard righty shot when set, AND on the run.

This team will find its groove, they have shown extended flashes of how good they can be. It just needs to come together. Its just the first week of March, you wanna play really good ball in april and May.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Above someone said McNulty was a senior....yes, but he has another year. Kamish still only has 2 turnovers all year (Towson) and ground balls well. He doesn’t force things much and picks his spots....usually when he draws a short stick. I agree they should run things through him more often.
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

This is a tough group to watch! Olmstead can make a play one in a while but he becomes a turnover machine at times. They have to put Wigley on the bench. He might have the lowest shooting percentage in the country. They just don’t have enough midfielders that can create good offense. They have a lot of guys who can only dodge to move it or others that can dodge to shoot it. They don’t have any Qb’s at midfield.
laxfam

Post by laxfam »

loyolapride2015 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm This is a tough group to watch! Olmstead can make a play one in a while but he becomes a turnover machine at times. They have to put Wigley on the bench. He might have the lowest shooting percentage in the country. They just don’t have enough midfielders that can create good offense. They have a lot of guys who can only dodge to move it or others that can dodge to shoot it. They don’t have any Qb’s at midfield.
I agree that they are tough to watch. Someone posted shooting percentage around 22%.

I disagree, you have midfielders that are standing on the sidelines who have yet to see playtime. The midfield talent runs deep and remains untapped. Taylor is fast and has a quick first step,this would be helpful. I first got a glimpse of Cain when Victor beat Ward Melville in the state championship game, if he can play wing for Ierlan and helped him succeed, i am sure he can do it at Loyola. Plus he has the speed and vision to create to help the attack. IMO Seay needs to see more of the field, good size, good speed and a solid dodger.

Wigley, Bateman, James, and Cox have not shown much to date. The only two midfielders that have produced to some extent are Poitras and Swindell. It cannot hurt to run Taylor, Seay and Cain and see what they bring.

Question for discussion, Does Van Arsdale know what he is doing? or has he just reaped the benefit of being at the right spot with the right players? No need for much strategy when you have Pat Spencer and Chase Scanlan. Who both feed the crease and allow Lindley and Olmstead to do what they do best. Lindley and Olmstead are overworked because of the inabilities of the midfield to create and feed the attack.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxfam wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:52 pm
loyolapride2015 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm This is a tough group to watch! Olmstead can make a play one in a while but he becomes a turnover machine at times. They have to put Wigley on the bench. He might have the lowest shooting percentage in the country. They just don’t have enough midfielders that can create good offense. They have a lot of guys who can only dodge to move it or others that can dodge to shoot it. They don’t have any Qb’s at midfield.
I agree that they are tough to watch. Someone posted shooting percentage around 22%.

I disagree, you have midfielders that are standing on the sidelines who have yet to see playtime. The midfield talent runs deep and remains untapped. Taylor is fast and has a quick first step,this would be helpful. I first got a glimpse of Cain when Victor beat Ward Melville in the state championship game, if he can play wing for Ierlan and helped him succeed, i am sure he can do it at Loyola. Plus he has the speed and vision to create to help the attack. IMO Seay needs to see more of the field, good size, good speed and a solid dodger.

Wigley, Bateman, James, and Cox have not shown much to date. The only two midfielders that have produced to some extent are Poitras and Swindell. It cannot hurt to run Taylor, Seay and Cain and see what they bring.

Question for discussion, Does Van Arsdale know what he is doing? or has he just reaped the benefit of being at the right spot with the right players? No need for much strategy when you have Pat Spencer and Chase Scanlan. Who both feed the crease and allow Lindley and Olmstead to do what they do best. Lindley and Olmstead are overworked because of the inabilities of the midfield to create and feed the attack.
Yeah, what does MVA know about offense...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your Fanlax posting card has been revoked. Please turn it in on your way out.
laxfam

Post by laxfam »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:11 pm

WOW...Seemed to have struck a nerve. Think about it. We have all seen those coaches, regardless of sport, with all of their accolades and awards while quietly thinking that any monkey could coach these kids because they have been witness to and handed crazy talent. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just saying that it's easy to coach greatness. What makes a coach GREAT is his ability to make something out of maybe nothing and see ALL of the strengths and weaknesses before him. Toomey has that gift. MVA...remains to be seen. Especially based on what we have seen thus far. Olmstead and Lindley are over worked trying to make something of nothing. I'll walk back my previous comments on Kamish. Kid has grit BUT I would love to see Pridemore get it together. Many years ago, my son played middie for a D1 team and he said "don't expect me to score as many goals as I did in HS. My job is to feed the attack." No one is feeding or supporting the attack because the middies lack vision. I can go to my local HS and see better midfielding than I am seeing right now.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxfam wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:37 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:11 pm

WOW...Seemed to have struck a nerve. Think about it. We have all seen those coaches, regardless of sport, with all of their accolades and awards while quietly thinking that any monkey could coach these kids because they have been witness to and handed crazy talent. I'm not calling for his head. I'm just saying that it's easy to coach greatness. What makes a coach GREAT is his ability to make something out of maybe nothing and see ALL of the strengths and weaknesses before him. Toomey has that gift. MVA...remains to be seen. Especially based on what we have seen thus far. Olmstead and Lindley are over worked trying to make something of nothing. I'll walk back my previous comments on Kamish. Kid has grit BUT I would love to see Pridemore get it together. Many years ago, my son played middie for a D1 team and he said "don't expect me to score as many goals as I did in HS. My job is to feed the attack." No one is feeding or supporting the attack because the middies lack vision. I can go to my local HS and see better midfielding than I am seeing right now.
Question- what do you see in pridemore that we haven’t seen? Something from his highlight tapes? Stuff you hear in practice? I’m honestly curious
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes, you hit a nerve.

Because those are the types of comments Hopkins fans make. Uninformed bashing. With no substance. MVA has “coincidentally” coached some of the best offenses and developed some of the best players in the game...ever. Consistently. For 30+ years.

So MVA’s not the problem. Shooting and consistency are issues. Not scheme.

We’re developing shots, just not burying them. If we do the offense will be mysteriously improved.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”