Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by CU77 »

Cornell now #1 in the laxpower ratings:

http://www.laxbytes.com/2020/binmenstats/rating01.php

Should also be #1 in the Massey and KRACH ratings when these update.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:49 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:21 pm The great thing about the tying goal for both Jeff Teat and Cornell this year is that it highlights that Teat is now dangerous to be left uncovered. The perception in parts of the lacrosse community is that he's "just a feeder". However, leaving him covered by a short stick defender, with no slide, was underestimating him as an individual scoring threat.
Teat looked like the most dangerous player in Division 1 today, who else, a lot of great offensive talent but, maybe Ierlan who can just choke a team off possession-wise.
Against Yale, Michigan lost almost every face-off. By forcing turnovers, and fighting for ground balls, they kept the game competitive. If Cornell values possessions and fights for possession the way that they did today, they have a chance.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:57 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:46 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:47 pm MY top 5 this week:
1. Syracuse
2. Cornell
You must be joking! The Orangemen's best win is over Army, who lost to Marist. Their 2nd best win is over Hobart. Both wins were in the Dome.

Cornell, on the other hand, just beat #2 Penn State on a neutral field, and beat Ohio State in the Shoe.

These are not comparable records.
If I put the BIGRED #1, everyone calls me a homer (which I am) , and your argument is infallible. What makes our run so so so incredible is NOT 1 win is at the Kopf. Look, we have YALE next week, so let's take care of that first.

Oh yeah, in the "I can dream category", how about an UNDEFEATED Syracuse team comes to Schoellkopf in April to play an UNDEFEATED Cornell team in the game of the CENTURY. #1 vs #2. What a scene that would be.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I'll add to all the "77" references above, with a shout out to Gavin Adler #77. He covered a Tewaaraton Finalist today. He held Ament scoreless, kept out of the box, and never quit. While Ament went (0,5), it's important to respect how worthy an opponent that this PSU team is.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:21 pm The great thing about the tying goal for both Jeff Teat and Cornell this year is that it highlights that Teat is now dangerous to be left uncovered. The perception in parts of the lacrosse community is that he's "just a feeder". However, leaving him covered by a short stick defender, with no slide, was underestimating him as an individual scoring threat.
That was certainly high drama! Jeff Teat, one-on-one with his defender, side cleared out, all eyes watching, unfolding like slow motion. And then the shot and goal! It was a thing of beauty!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Trumansburger wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 pm
That was certainly high drama! Jeff Teat, one-on-one with his defender, side cleared out, all eyes watching, unfolding like slow motion. And then the shot and goal! It was a thing of beauty!
I have no idea why the defender on the far post didn’t slide hard. PSU was doomed with that short stick on Teat.
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:07 pm
Teat looked like the most dangerous player in Division 1 today, who else, a lot of great offensive talent but, maybe Ierlan who can just choke a team off possession-wise.
Against Yale, Michigan lost almost every face-off. By forcing turnovers, and fighting for ground balls, they kept the game competitive. If Cornell values possessions and fights for possession the way that they did today, they have a chance.
FC, in my synopsis for recipes for beating PSU, I specifically mentioned CLEARING as the key to victory. Do you know how many FAILED clears, the Big Red had today? ZERO.

Can I get a little love on that? Kudos to Pete and the coaches for making this such a priority, as if you get this offense the ball, they are scary.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Wow.... this was an instant classic that will be referenced for a while! While it would have been much more comfortable for Big Red fans to have maintained the margin created in the first half, the way the game played out couldn’t have been better for a team that certainly learned a lot about itself today. The ending was a better early season learning event than a large margin victory while still being a W, a big margin could have been misleading for the players and risked creating overconfidence.

Teat is amazing, while we have been fortunate to have players with incredible skills (as does Teat), I believe Teat has the highest lax IQ I have ever witnessed, then add in his calm approach and love for his teammates... that game tying goal on Sunday night ( no other games going on) puts him right back in discussion for the Tewaarton and importantly gets his name in lights which is part of what it takes.

Petrakis for Rookie of the week. Bardwell played great. Fletcher learned from last week. A lot of time for second mids who played really well, although would like to see Donville on the field more, maybe rotate him in with some second line runs with Coyle and Lombardi.

Opportunities, CI has yet to play to his capability and expectation. 33 is all over the place and the rest of the defense cheats to support him. If his man doesn’t score someone else often does due to needed slides to suppor him. He is fast but just to much risk. Opponents know this and love the match up....
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:18 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:07 pm
FC, in my synopsis for recipes for beating PSU, I specifically mentioned CLEARING as the key to victory. Do you know how many FAILED clears, the Big Red had today? ZERO.

Can I get a little love on that? Kudos to Pete and the coaches for making this such a priority, as if you get this offense the ball, they are scary.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
You called it, Joe Willie! Hats off for seeing things clearly.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Petrakis for Ivy ROW
Teat for Ivy POW
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

'Just back from a celebratory dinner in Charlotte. Great day here - 60 and sunny. And a Cornell W.
The boys showed a lot of heart coming back after lots of 2nd half adversity. Very much of a tale of two halves - everything went right the first, not so much the second, but enough.
A few misc. thoughts:
-The offense - incredibly balanced. "0" drop-off on the 2nd line. The 2nd line's speed in particular made them look so effective today. Penn State's defense was on a carousel so much of the time.
-Nice to see Coach M using two poles (including Salvo) on most of the face-offs. I'm sure the coaches rotated 3 FOGOS quite by intent, but Petrakis competed the most effectively throughout. There were a few times I wished he called for #28, but my guess is they knew he was gassed.
-Loved the defensive match-ups today - Adler on Ament and lanky Doria on O'Keefe. Adler kept Ament in front of him all day; what an effort.
-IMO Karey was a welcome addition to the ss rotation.
-Yes, PSU scored 17, but their offense is so high powered. Week by week, I think our defense continues to improve, individually and collectively.
Yale and Penn up next. TD and Gallagher. No rest for the weary.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:09 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:47 pm You got 40 seconds left in the game, you are down 1, who do you give the ball to. That's right, the most underrated attackman but the absolute best in crunch time, JEFF TEAT. And the dude with ice water in his veins makes it look easy. We are so blessed to have that guy and the next TD Lerlan is ANGELO PETRAKIS.

MY top 5 this week:
1. Syracuse
2. Cornell
3. Princeton
4. Yale
5. N. Carolina

Yale vs. Cornell Saturday. What a great game at Schoellkopf. We WON OUR FIRST 5, ALL away from the KOPF. Everyone should fill the KOPF next saturday.

WOO HOO

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
i was wondering if it's too bold to jump PU. heck, now i might even have them in front of cuse.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. SU is playing better than we are in goal and on D. And that's without Mellen.

Or are you just baiting DMac? That's a dangerous game.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Based on Ws and Ls, Cornell should be #1.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

I think we ARE #1. In the B1G.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:16 pm
I have no idea why the defender on the far post didn’t slide hard. PSU was doomed with that short stick on Teat.
Because he was covering Long, who was perfectly positioned. Had the defender slid, Teat — who knows a thing or two about passing in tight spaces — would have passed to give Long a point blank shot.
Typical Lax Dad

Ezra White wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:28 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:16 pm
Because he was covering Long, who was perfectly positioned. Had the defender slid, Teat — who knows a thing or two about passing in tight spaces — would have passed to give Long a point blank shot.
Not the adjacent guy. It seemed like the far defender was covering grass. Take your chances with a long skip pass. You just can’t give Jeff that kind of time with the ball. He will kill you. Get it out of his stick. Let someone else do it.
“I wish you would!”
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I haven’t seen a replay of the tying goal from whistle after time out to goal, only one on one by Teat, but I believe this play involved picking off the long pole initially covering Teat and why Teat did not start with the ball. Teat’s multiple threat of goal and assist made Penn State choose how to play that not thinking a shortie would be on Teat. It was a nice play to just get Teat set up for the one on one with him ready to shoot or pass depending on how Penn State played it.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Watching after the tying goal was interesting, With the ball going into our defensive end on the face off my hope was just to play the final seconds out to get to OT and then the emotion swing with the quick turn of events of seeing the long pass from Doria to Petrakis and quickly switching to we can win this in regulation was so fun.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

RedIvy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am I haven’t seen a replay of the tying goal from whistle after time out to goal, only one on one by Teat, but I believe this play involved picking off the long pole initially covering Teat and why Teat did not start with the ball. Teat’s multiple threat of goal and assist made Penn State choose how to play that not thinking a shortie would be on Teat. It was a nice play to just get Teat set up for the one on one with him ready to shoot or pass depending on how Penn State played it.
Contrary to what the talking heads implied, of course Teat started with a long pole on him. Then it was I believe Coyle who picked Teat's guy, resulting in the switch to the shortie. Then the challenge for PSU was whether to double Teat.
Typical Lax Dad

RedIvy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:38 am I haven’t seen a replay of the tying goal from whistle after time out to goal, only one on one by Teat, but I believe this play involved picking off the long pole initially covering Teat and why Teat did not start with the ball. Teat’s multiple threat of goal and assist made Penn State choose how to play that not thinking a shortie would be on Teat. It was a nice play to just get Teat set up for the one on one with him ready to shoot or pass depending on how Penn State played it.
Yes. It came off of a pick. That SSDM should have shoved him in the back and did would ever he needed to do to keep him below GLE. I have been watching him since his HS days, you have to beat up on him or keep him below the goal line or he will eat you alive. Take a foul. Burn some clock. Let them start man up offense 12-15 seconds. You just can’t let Teat beat you. A short stick on him with that much time is a goal all day everyday.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”